Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staff Layoffs

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Last in, first out is the fairest I think. Especially considering the performance is equal.

If you are THAT worried about doing it "Hire" someone in (i.e. a mate who'll do it) if you think it'd be easier, and have them as a downsizer. Let them make the announcement. I'll do it if you'd like, I'm a bastard and could do with firing someone. I charge coffee and a danish thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pepp

I think the fairest way is ask for volenteers for redundency first and then try to pick, that is of course if you can't substitute a pay cut instead of redundency, I know i'd rather have a job at less money than no money at all and lose my house and car and everything cause there are not many jobs around at the minute.

Your in a really awkward position i don't envey you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭iceman777

jungleboy wrote: »
    Its a high skilled sector and no unions !

I know people are disagreeing with me, but as you say you are in such a sector, I think that leaving personal issues aside for each employee, you can definitely compare each of them on their work to date as you should find that they are not equal.

Please look at things such as (others may list many more):

1. Experience
    2. Motivation
    3. Working with each other
    4. Productivity of each person now
    5. Productivity if you lost each person
    6. resonsibility of each person
    7. Ability and desire to take on extra work
    8. Their own personal career path - this can highlight what they want and is a good factor to see their future career ambition
    9. Do they need much management?
    10. Situational Leadership
    11. Ability to voice their opinion, whether it is through many different medias e.g. presentaion, phone, or mail (some people can be shy)

I am interested in what you are looking at yourself and if you could give us some information on what criteria you used to make them redundant. I know you are in a very difficult predicament, but I for one am waiting to hear how you got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭jungleboy

iceman777 wrote: »
    I know people are disagreeing with me, but as you say you are in such a sector, I think that leaving personal issues aside for each employee, you can definitely compare each of them on their work to date as you should find that they are not equal.

Please look at things such as (others may list many more):

1. Experience
    2. Motivation
    3. Working with each other
    4. Productivity of each person now
    5. Productivity if you lost each person
    6. resonsibility of each person
    7. Ability and desire to take on extra work
    8. Their own personal career path - this can highlight what they want and is a good factor to see their future career ambition
    9. Do they need much management?
    10. Situational Leadership
    11. Ability to voice their opinion, whether it is through many different medias e.g. presentaion, phone, or mail (some people can be shy)

I am interested in what you are looking at yourself and if you could give us some information on what criteria you used to make them redundant. I know you are in a very difficult predicament, but I for one am waiting to hear how you got on.

We just don't have the work load to keep everyone here we have some good clients but cash flow is just dead. We are doing our best but we just have to cut bak expenditure to meet our income, 2009 was a bad yaer and if we contine like thi we will all be out of a job in the next 6 monts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

BATTLE ROYALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1..

Broadcast it on PPV to generate extra revenue for yourself!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The girl bought a house recently?

In a falling market?

She's an idiot, she should go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭jungleboy

Sleepy wrote: »
    The girl bought a house recently?

In a falling market?

She's an idiot, she should go.

Good man sleep, maybe she should take advise from you and rent for ever. People are entitled to make their own mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

jungleboy wrote: »
    I was think of last in first out but this is going to be difficult as the girl last in is just married with and house and so one. The others have less hanging over them but I just don’t know what to do.

Enjoy your trip to the employment tribunal if you use those ground.

Unfair dismissal ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Being completly honest, you are asking this question in a forum for non work related threads.

If you want sound advice, Maybe the Work and Jobs forum. I have used that forum before and the regulars there really know their stuff and may be able to give you some psuedo legal advice on whats best practice and they may be better equipped to answer this question tbh. Sorry if I seem a bit harsh but this is my best advice.

Advertisement