Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice gold varnish colour, Schooner or Schooner Gold?

Options
  • 25-01-2015 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know which of these 2 varnishes gives a darker colour, Schooner or Schooner Gold? The International varnish data sheet describes the colour of Schooner as 'deep rich gloss with warm golden colour', whereas the Schooner Gold is described as 'traditional amber colour'. I've used both before but can't quiet remember which has a nicer colour on paler timber (not hardwood), and it's quiet expensive to be just trying it out.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi wall I used schooner gold on my mahogany deck it was all the one colour but I stained the sides and centre first it might be an option to give you the tint you want as I think there is very little difference between the gold and the standard schooner.

20130804_171440_zpse1dd9c79.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

Thanks Fergal.b,
    What brand of stain did you use? I was wondering would there be any reaction between the varnish and a stain.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

thats nice. love the 2 shades of colour on the wood. what price is that a tin? We,ll be varnishing decks soon but have alot of deck to do.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Any of the water based wood dye or stain will work fine, I used COLRON wood dye. The gold cost around €28 and original €16 it's a big difference but I went with the gold because I found it better at levelling out when you roll and tip it and gave a higher gloss finish when polished, I still have a few more coats to do before I'm happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

have you any sort of grip on that? we need to add somthing to give a bit of grip on the foredeck (fishing for bowmen is no fun)

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    have you any sort of grip on that? we need to add somthing to give a bit of grip on the foredeck (fishing for bowmen is no fun)

No mine is smooooth :) I have heard of some people using white sand mixed in to the varnish but I'd say that would be quit sharp, you could add non slip strips when your done or interlux also do a non-skid additive called Intergrip.

Advertisement