Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Have you ever in your driving career deliberately broke a red light at a junction?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

corktina wrote: »
    Rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men....so my answer would be " hell yes"

This should be the post of the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

woody33 wrote: »
    In parts of the U.S. you are allowed to turn right (that would be turn left for us...) at a red light if the way is clear.

This is a perfectly logical law that should be standard everywhere really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

People are always going on about the bad driving and amount of road deaths in Ireland. If you think its bad here, you'd want to go to places like Italy and Czech Republic - absolutely crazy driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Yup
    Got penalty points for it, and won't do it again now. Orange lights are fair game though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

djimi wrote: »
    This is a perfectly logical law that should be standard everywhere really.

One of a few things that the US has done better than elsewhere.
    In Ireland that would have the potential to bring chaos though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Yep, regularly break them and will do it again..

99% because there is no other traffic around (and let's be honest, the point of a traffic light is to stop collisions at a junction, so if you're the only vehicle then the light is rendered redundant).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Have done it before on signalised roundabouts in the early morning (1AM to 6 AM) where it is quite obvious there is no one else on the roundabout.

IMO, at these hours, all signalised roundabouts should have flashing amber. There is zero chance of me or a flashing amber causing a crash.

The only other time I've broken a red light was the morning in Cork City where all the traffic lights got stuck on red for over an hour. Got told off for it on here by a person who claimed they wouldn't break a red even if it meant waiting for an hour at a light. This sort of logic would lead to death in the wild within a day.

AltAccount wrote: »
    Yep, regularly break them and will do it again..

99% because there is no other traffic around (and let's be honest, the point of a traffic light is to stop collisions at a junction, so if you're the only vehicle then the light is rendered redundant).

The problem in this country is that there are simply too many traffic lights popping up everywhere. In addition, most of these lights should be changed to flashing amber from a certain hour onwards each night.

I also don't understand why there is such a stigma on cars breaking lights when cyclists do it all the time. I too don't see a huge problem in breaking lights where it is obvious there is no other car and sight lines are good, but I personally don't do it very often (see my post above).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

While I agree that flashing amber at night would make a lot of sense, the problem here is that too many people see an amber light as the signal to put the foot down before it turns red, so it would invariably lead to some pretty serious accidents initially.

djimi wrote: »
    While I agree that flashing amber at night would make a lot of sense, the problem here is that too many people see an amber light as the signal to put the foot down before it turns red, so it would invariably lead to some pretty serious accidents initially.

The other thing I've seen is flashing green and flashing red. This IMO is a better solution to just flashing orange as it shows which road has the right of way at a junction.

For roundabouts, you could just turn the lights off completely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement