Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Have you ever in your driving career deliberately broke a red light at a junction?

Options
  • 15-11-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭

Following on from the "have you driven drunk before" thread, curious what the responses to this would be. I specifically ask about junctions as they have greater risk of a collision with a car than a pedestrian crossing(sorry pedestrians :))

The question is laid out in the following manner. You have deliberately broke a red light when the red light appeared before you crossed the white line, not when you crossed it a few milliseconds beforehand on yellow\orange, that is you visually made eye contact with the red signal and made a go for it carelessly. When you crossed that junction on a red, you were of the mind afterwards "phew, that was close. I made it and got away with it"

So have you broke a red light in this manner in your driving career?

PS: I have selected option 1 to when i was younger as I did do it on a few occasions, i've learned since that risk ain't worth it.

Have you ever deliberately broken a red light at a junction? 115 votes

Yes, i've deliberately broke a red light at a junction but its rare for me to do it
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, i've deliberately broke a red light at a junction and i have done it occassionally
    48% 56 votes
    No, i've never broke a red light at a junction, simples.
    22% 26 votes
    I claim the 5th Atari Jaguar!
    28% 33 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Early in the morning and if the coast is clear I sometimes do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Early in the morning and if the coast is clear I sometimes do.

Do you see stopped traffic on the opposite side at such a junction? Guess its an easier decision with visuals on both directions at 3am :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bop1977

I work nights, so at 4 in the morning and zero traffic yes I have and will probably take the chance again.

moxin wrote: »
    Do you see stopped traffic on the opposite side at such a junction? Guess its an easier decision with visuals on both directions at 3am :)

Usually between 630-7 in the morning when I hit lights but if it's clear I can't see the point in waiting for the lights to go through their sequence. I am more careful than normal but still do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

bop1977 wrote: »
    I work nights, so at 4 in the morning and zero traffic yes I have and will probably take the chance again.

Used to do it all the time myself as above, working as a driver until 4/5 am and not another soul to be seen anywhere , always with great caution though !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men....so my answer would be " hell yes"

Usually between 630-7 in the morning when I hit lights but if it's clear I can't see the point in waiting for the lights to go through their sequence. I am more careful than normal but still do it.

At crossroads also?

Perhaps I should have rephrased the poll to normal busy hours instead of overnight hours :)

At crossroads also?

Perhaps I should have rephrased the poll to normal busy hours instead of overnight hours :)

At any other time I wouldn't, but I do think the orange arrow could be used more in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

A couple of times where I suspected the lights might be broken, and I could see that it was clear and safe to do so.

Probably a couple of times at roadworks also where the options are latch onto the back of the train of cars or wait another ten minutes for the lights to change again...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

corktina wrote: »
    Rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men....so my answer would be " hell yes"

I bloody hate the Irish attitude to rules, but I can't help but be impressed with that!
    All my internets to you, good sir.
    Plus I drive through Limerick every morning around 7, so have blasted through the occasional "dark orange".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

I ran 3 reds on the way home from work today. They went red just before i went through them so thats my excuse

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

I ran 3 reds on the way home from work today. They went red just before i went through them so thats my excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Midnight green ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Only once or twice but it was at a notorious set of traffic lights - you could be waiting there 10/15 minutes waiting for them to change.

Only once or twice but it was at a notorious set of traffic lights - you could be waiting there 10/15 minutes waiting for them to change.

Light that take 10\15min to change, an exaggeration? (assuming non-faulty lights!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

I used to do it regularly at the 2 sets of lights at either end of Barrack St in Carlow. Granted it usually just after 6am with no other traffic about. Always took care though and didn't just barrel through.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Never done it, nor felt the need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Light that take 10\15min to change, an exaggeration? (assuming non-faulty lights!)

No exaggeration, faulty lights. (they've since been fixed)

No exaggeration, faulty lights. (they've since been fixed)

But you broke the law :D Yeh, lights that don't change past 3 minutes are a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Done it far more times as a pedestrain than a driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I have done it once at faulty broken lights after waiting more than 10 mins,
    I have done it once when I could not see because the window was dirty and I was driving against the sun, when I saw it was red I was on top of it and it would be dangerous to stop.
    There is a Junction with a rail gate that you must wait at for ages and I always turn left when it shows a red for left and a green for straight, red just means the gates are down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Ha ha was going through Limerick city at 5.30am on a Saturday morning came to a red at the top of William Street and I admit I thought about going through it but decided not to take a chance, see lights in my rear view mirror as I lit my cigarette and a traffic car pulls up beside me in the left lane
    Could have been nicely caught
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

One poorly designed roundabout that you had to floor it round as if the first light was amber the 3rd and 4th would be red. It gave you less time depending on time of day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

well, a stop sign is the same exactly as a red light, who can say they always come to a dead stand at a stop sign? There's no magic about a red light, why do we obey them more than a simple sign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

nc19 wrote: »
    People run red lights because they are just about to turn green too.

But ya ......the night time is de right time

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mc1981

Have had to do it when lights suddenly stick on red due to fault. The same set of lights used to stay on red for about five minutes every once in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Yes plenty of times, especially when the fecking thing only stays green for about 3 seconds and then changes back again. I hate when that happens. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

In parts of the U.S. you are allowed to turn right (that would be turn left for us...) at a red light if the way is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I've ran a handful, but only when I know I : A)Won't cause an accident, and B)Won't get caught. Generally it's very early morning to even consider it. Would only do it if I was in a rush too.

• Advertisement

Surprised at the confessions here, thought ye all were holier than thou high horse brigade motorists :);)

Advertisement