Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

The most important rail projects in the history of this poxy little country are about to be shot to feck and we are still rambling around in circles about a bog path line in the west of Ireland? It won't reopen from Athenry to Colooney and shouldn't until a lot of things change. That could be generations. It may become a Greenway, it may not. I don't actually care. But on the odd time I visit this thread, it has turned into such a parish pump BS fest of rail Vs greenway economics. Enda stood in Castlebar at a WOT conference many years ago and promised the holy grail. Then he got into Government and realised the gravity of reopening the WRC. But fear not WRC supporters, he's doing bigger damage on the east coast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Grandeeod wrote: »
    The most important rail projects in the history of this poxy little country are about to be shot to feck and we are still rambling around in circles about a bog path line in the west of Ireland? It won't reopen from Athenry to Colooney and shouldn't until a lot of things change. That could be generations. It may become a Greenway, it may not. I don't actually care. But on the odd time I visit this thread, it has turned into such a parish pump BS fest of rail Vs greenway economics. Enda stood in Castlebar at a WOT conference many years ago and promised the holy grail. Then he got into Government and realised the gravity of reopening the WRC. But fear not WRC supporters, he's doing bigger damage on the east coast!

Ah Grandeeod if ya didn't care ya wouldn't post!

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Ah Grandeeod if ya didn't care ya wouldn't post!

The "like" is all you're getting, now feck off!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

I see a bit in the Western People about it today.
    I forgot which section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

random_guy wrote: »
    I see a bit in the Western People about it today.
    I forgot which section.

would be interested to see what they have written, not out West at the moment perhaps someone could pick it up and let us know. The WP has always been a big WOT supporter, don't know why, the editor is just a big backer of WOT. Thankfully not all the Western printed media goes along with this editorial thinking but would be interested to see what they have in today.

• Advertisement

McAlban wrote: »
    We all know that this line had the largest increase in passengers in the entire rail network in 2014. (72% increase between Ennis and Athenry)

Indeed - and the funny thing about this uplift, it got quoted a great deal by West on Track, I think off the top of my head it was an uplift from about 35,000 passenger journies per annum to about 50,000 per annum. But the funny thing about West on Track making such a song and dance about it was they never want to see this part of the line isolated in passenger quotation numbers - and alway try to throw in the Ennis/Limerick numbers and Athenry/Galway numbers into the "Western Rail corridor numbers". All that aside, because that is just a game, even at 50,000 after four years the passenger journey numbers had only just reached 50% of the year one forecast numbers. According to the business plan by year 4 (2014) the line should have been carrying 250,000 "intercity" passengers journies doing the Galway-Limerick.

Herein lies the real problem around the whole socio-economic arguments for the WRC - it comes down to geography and economics and to a certain extent the way we look at our local town/city as our local hub, the whole premise of the WRC is based on some mythical economic corridor along the western seaboard. It doesn't exist. Each large Urban area on the West coast has it's own economic hinterland, which extends to probably about 30 mile radius around each urban area. There is some overlapping of the radius of economic and social influence, but no real connectivity, historically economically or even socially. There is no real economic or strong regional ties between Limerick and Galway, No more than there is between Sligo and Castlebar, or even Castlebar and Ballina, but each town exists as an economic, retail and social centre for their own hinterlands. Connecting each of these economic centres by train is not going to create a flow of people and goods and economic activity between these separate economic units as there is simply is no demand for. In terms of the longer distances - say Sligo to Cork or Limerick, the economic connections are even more tenuous. The truths is we are a single city state, and like it or not the fast and reliable inter-urban/city connectivity we want to see maximised is not Limerick/Galway or Galway/Sligo - it's Limerick/Dublin, Galway/Dublin and .... I think you get the picture. It's not a Dublin v west argument by the way, its just the way small nation states are that normally have a single city state situation, connectivity to Dublin is the key issue, like it or not. Wasting resources on railway connecting Sligo to Cork are just that, wasting money. We need to see Dublin succeed economically and we need to keep it a secret from Dublin the wonderful quality of life you can have in the west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

especially as there already is a railway connecting Sligo and Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Lenton Lane

especially as there already is a railway connecting Sligo and Cork

This thread is turning into Groundhog Day...different names but making the same arguments from long ago...rinse and repeat. I'm off to do something more productive.

This thread is turning into Groundhog Day...different names but making the same arguments from long ago...rinse and repeat. I'm off to do something more productive.

Don't blame you in the meantime have a read of the latest goings on in Tuam those pesky greenway folks getting all the press coverage again?

http://www.tuamherald.ie/news/roundup/articles/2015/09/09/4079721-tuam-railway-loop-walk-could-be-first-step-towards-a-greenway/

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Me too, because in fairness I can come back in 6 years when there is still no Tuam-Athenry Greenway in the County Development Plans. I have other things to do.

• Advertisement

Me too, because in fairness I can come back in 6 years when there is still no Tuam-Athenry Greenway in the County Development Plans. I have other things to do.

bye... we can hold you to that one.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tuam Greenway Project

You never told us which pub we could meet your Mayo CC friend for a pint and a chat about "there's no votes in that". Ah well. At least he is firmly on his fence.

Fair City isn't bad at the moment. Its actually more realistic than this thread.:D

Fair City isn't bad at the moment. Its actually more realistic than this thread.:D

LOL nice one GD. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Is the cycleway to Dublin in the Co. development plans?

Is the cycleway to Dublin in the Co. development plans?

I don't think so, Leo Varadkar announced as a government initiative as part of the National Cycle Network, I think one of the county councils (Westmeath I think) was chosen to project manage it. I don't think the idea was in any of the county plans but all the councils along the route seem to have embraced it and are only too pleased to have this invesment in their counties.

This is what we need on the Western Rail Trail greenway for the Government to simply make the decision instead of dithering for ever and hiding behind this county council issue.

Nice .pdf recieved from Tuam Herald well done to the Tuam Herald for backing this campaign and Thanks to Tuam Herald for allowing us to use this .pdf

TH1_0909_Ed1_014.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

westtip wrote: »
    Nice .pdf recieved from Tuam Herald well done to the Tuam Herald for backing this campaign and Thanks to Tuam Herald for allowing us to use this .pdf

TH1_0909_Ed1_014.pdf

What was the next line on the article? Out of curiosity? Paschal Donohue was saying while I am supportive of a greenway....

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tuam Greenway Project

sonnyblack wrote: »
    What was the next line on the article? Out of curiosity? Paschal Donohue was saying while I am supportive of a greenway....

Dear ........

I wish to refer to your email regarding the development of a cycle track along the disused Western Railway corridor (WRC) between Claremorris and Tuam
    I am very supportive of the development of greenways and recognise, as you yourself do, the benefits of such projects from an economic, tourism, health and recreational perspective. Unfortunately, all Department funding for this purpose is fully committed up until 2016.
    While I am supportive of the proposal to utlise the line as a greenway, in such a manner that would not preclude the potential of re-opening it as a railway line, it is ultimately a decision for the relevant local authorities to progress the planning and submit, if funding is required, a proposal for consideration to this Department.(ends)

sorry about that was having trouble posting up both pages for some reason this morning!

• Advertisement

sorry about that was having trouble posting up both pages for some reason this morning!

and got this message Your file of 8.43 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 5.00 MB for this filetype. the second page contained a lot of pictures which may explain this. but TGP has given the printed article content

Good article by Colm McCarthy on Western Rail corridor in this weeks Irish
    Farmers Journal when I get a decent copy of it will post it up, but its worth reading at the newsstand even if you don't buy the IFJ.....

Not sure West on Track will be singing his praises but they don't see eye to eye on this subject in any event!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Good article by Colm McCarthy on Western Rail corridor in this weeks Irish
    Farmers Journal when I get a decent copy of it will post it up, but its worth reading at the newsstand even if you don't buy the IFJ.....

Not sure West on Track will be singing his praises but they don't see eye to eye on this subject in any event!:D

Article here but behind a paywall;

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/colm-mccarthy-we-must-not-be-driven-off-track-by-ghost-railways-189138

mayo.mick wrote: »

Pasted up in A 4 and scanned in as .jpeg Very interesting perspective on why WOT are now trying to shift the argument to freight, he gets the whole thing spot on, its good to be in the same camp as a heavyweight of Irish academia, of course interesting a government advisor of An bord Snip Nua would choose to write on this specific issue in the IFJ. Great article. I note WOT have not pasted it up on their FB page! but have put up more Western People stuff.

Which thinker would you go for, editor of the western people or one of our most eminent economists.....

Pasted up in A 4 and scanned in as .jpeg Very interesting perspective on why WOT are now trying to shift the argument to freight, he gets the whole thing spot on, its good to be in the same camp as a heavyweight of Irish academia, of course interesting a government advisor of An bord Snip Nua would choose to write on this specific issue in the IFJ. Great article. I note WOT have not pasted it up on their FB page! but have put up more Western People stuff.

Which thinker would you go for, editor of the western people or one of our most eminent economists.....

exactly what some of us on here have been saying for years, almost word for word. love the swipe at WoT in the title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

exactly what some of us on here have been saying for years, almost word for word. love the swipe at WoT in the title

in fairness Colm Mccarthy is a known dissenter against almost all Rail investment

some of the things he states are just wrong, for example the private intermodial liner trains that go between ballina and dublin ( and elsewhere ) disprove some of what he claims

not saying much of what he claims isn't a reasonable perspective , but he's a bit one sided

The future of greenways is not a zero sum argument for railways

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

I wouldn't pay too much attention to anything economists say. They quite simply have no understanding of the way that public transport works. All economists worry about are financial numbers and results.

The time to build the remaining sections of the WRC is now.

There's absolutely no reason why the greenway and a re-opened Dublin to Galway line from Mullingar to Athlone couldn't co-exist alongside each other as one possible solution to this issue.

If this was the case, journey times between Galway and Dublin could be cut to between 1hour and 30mins.

One needs to bear in mind that railways are a long-term investment as they're generally built to last between 40 and 50 years, hence all the expensive maintenance costs.

If you build a railway, the industry will eventually follow.:)

If this was the case, journey times between Galway and Dublin could be cut to between 1hour and 30mins.

One needs to bear in mind that railways are a long-term investment as they're generally built to last between 40 and 50 years, hence all the expensive maintenance costs.

If you build a railway, the industry will eventually follow.

it will never catch on I tell you
    "The Quarterly Review" for March, 1825, in reference to the line proposed to be constructed between London and Woolwich, sagely remarked "What can be more palpably absurd and ridiculous than the prospect held out of locomotives travelling twice as fast as stage coaches! We should as soon expect the people of Woolwich to suffer themselves to be fired off upon one of Congreve's ricochte rockets as trust themselves to the mercy of a machine going at such a rate. We will back old Father Thames against the Woolwich Railway for any sum. We trust that Parliament will, in all railways it may sanction, limit the speed to eight or nine miles an hour, which we entirely agree with Mr. Sylvester, is as great as can be ventured on with safety".

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

BoatMad wrote: »
    it will never catch on I tell you

1825?: The year of the opening of the Stockton And Darlington Railway in the UK in September of that year followed 5 years later by the opening of the Liverpool and Mancheter Railway.

So what exactly happened 9 years later in December, 1834, then? Ireland's very first railway and its still in service and use today.:)

• Advertisement

1825?: The year of the opening of the Stockton And Darlington Railway in the UK in September of that year followed 5 years later by the opening of the Liverpool and Mancheter Railway.

So what exactly happened 9 years later in December, 1834, then? Ireland's very first railway and its still in service and use today.:)

so is the horse ,:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If you build a railway, the industry will eventually follow.:)

Most of the industry in Mullingar is beside the railway station, and I'd say none of it uses the rail line, to Dublin, so I doubt there is a pressing need to freight stuff to Athlone...

No mention of the WRC in todays fantasy capital programme.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Meanwhile in Sligo, things are beginning to happen on the ground!

Western%20rail%20trail-Sligo%20Champion%2029th%20sep%202015_zpsx849lu3d.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

No mention of the WRC in todays fantasy capital programme.:D
    Surprise, surprise. It's not how they see it Claremorris.

A spokesman for West on Track said:
    “The planned rail freight study opens up the prospect of re-introducing freight capacity on currently disused routes such as Limerick-Foynes and the Claremorris-Athenry lines. In that context the protection of these routes as rail lines is vitally important and West on Track understands that the Claremorris-Athenry line will now be preserved and protected for rail use.
    The provision of infrastructure is fundamental to the creation of jobs. As Irish rail freight continues to grow, expanding Ireland’s rail freight network will create further opportunities to attract new business here while consolidating existing employment.
    The study will also need to consider the serious issue of Ireland's carbon emissions. It is recognized that railways have an important role to play in reducing carbon emissions from the transport sector. Currently transport is responsible for approximately 30% of carbon emissions across Europe. A significant modal shift away from road to rail freight is achievable by using the existing spare capacity of operational railway lines & by re-activating routes such as the Limerick-Foynes and the Claremorris-Athenry lines,” he added.
    Reference:
    "In advance of the Mid Term Review, the Government will commission a feasibility study to examine options for expanding freight transport on the railways."
    (Page 23 of Infrastructure and Capital Investment 2016-2021)

IMO -Looks like they have finally cut loose on Sligo-Claremorris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Fair play Sligo. Once they open their section of greenway, I will be there with my bike and I will be encouraging everyone I know to cycle it too. I will be delighted for the forward-thinking people of Sligo taking in the income from it while their blinkered brethren to the south are sitting round looking at rusting tracks repeating "any minute now...".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Well, looks like the Ballyglunin bridge is coming down:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2J-9tbBdnLweHp3eHl1cHRSbGM/view?usp=sharing

Pro-WOT Galway county councillors tried to have the vote adjourned but to no avail, the vote was carried to enable the road improvements to go ahead.

It remains to be seen if a pedestrian crossing for a greenway might be included when the road is widened. Hard to see a train ever passing this way again in the short to medium term.

The Tuam Herald seems to becoming a stronger advocate of a greenway through Tuam in recent times - very important to get local support built up.

The WOT Councillors have made themselves look quite stupid, harking on about connectivity and rural regeneration, while at the same time showing a willingness to delay/block connectivity to the M17 for a whole community and all for the sake of their nostalgia for a mythical rail line. One of these boys will be looking for votes in the general election. He’ll get short shift in around Abbeyknockmoy, Lackagh and Monivea who’ll benefit from the road widening scheme when it goes ahead.

Muckyboots wrote: »

A spokesman for West on Track said:
    “In that context the protection of these routes as rail lines is vitally important and West on Track understands that the Claremorris-Athenry line will now be preserved and protected for rail use.

IMO -Looks like they have finally cut loose on Sligo-Claremorris

And Athenry Tuam as well :D judging by the Ballyglunin decision!!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2J-9tbBdnLweHp3eHl1cHRSbGM/view

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Meanwhile in Sligo, things are beginning to happen on the ground!

Cllr. Canney has an article in this week's Tuam Herald poo poo-ing the Sligo Co op/ Irish rail agreement and reasserting the WOT freight is a coming soon argument. Say's he has copy of a letter, circulated to all Sligo CC's, from a "senior official" in Sligo Co Co stating that there is no such deal and that the Council are adhereing to the Western Development Plan. You don't need anti-Greenway Councillors in Sligo when we can export them from Galway to do the job and you don't need elected Councillors when you have "senior officials" making executive decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

What does this mean? Could anyone tell me? Are numbers genuinely up on the line or is it just spin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Lenton Lane

What does this mean? Could anyone tell me? Are numbers genuinely up on the line or is it just spin?

You won't get the actual answer in this thread, just anti rail spin. From my understanding numbers are up and up significantly.

You won't get the actual answer in this thread, just anti rail spin. From my understanding numbers are up and up significantly.

€10 return student fare might expain the increase in numbers and the fact that every single person in the photograph looks like a student. Can't argue with the numbers. Good luck to everyone involved, including the Irish tax payer.
    (Spin)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

With the recovery going on now, all forms of transport are experiencing increases - you just have to look at how busy the roads have gotten all around the country.

Combine that with spiralling rents in urban areas and more people being priced out of renting/buying in Galway/Limerick and are commuting from outlying areas.

The WOT Facebook page puts it down to "the particular success of Iarnród Éireann’s promotional scheme for students".

I've just priced an online student return from Ennis to Galway. €9. Don't think anyone's going to beat €4.50 each way.

By way of comparison, a Bus Eireann Ennis-Galway online student return is €14.

A student will make the fiver saved stretch a long way ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭SueA

If there were a line between Ballymote and Galway it would open up more employment opportunities.

It could be part of the tourist Wild Atlantic Way; join up Knock airport with railway transport rather than having to hire a car or take a bus to Galway/Sligo etc.

I would definitely use the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

SueA wrote: »
    If there were a line between Ballymote and Galway it would open up more employment opportunities.

It could be part of the tourist Wild Atlantic Way; join up Knock airport with railway transport rather than having to hire a car or take a bus to Galway/Sligo etc.

Railways are yesterday's technology (in Ireland anyway) and what money there is would be better spent tarring over as much of the countryside as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Railways are yesterday's technology (in Ireland anyway) and what money there is would be better spent tarring over as much of the countryside as possible.
    well thats according to some. however, reality is much much different. ireland could have a good rail network however its much easier for government, and i believe irish rail to play politics with it rather then making it, and operating it, to the best it can be.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

I should be delighted if the figures are real after all the investment made. It's still a long way below the estimates though and losing lot of money better spent elsewhere. This applies to other lines too of course.

It's there now so hopefully it will be staying. There is no case though for re-opening more of it, not even as a freight red-herring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

SueA wrote: »

How would you 'join up Knock Airport with railway transport'?
    By using a funicular up the hill to the airport? Or maybe a tunnel under the hill and a high-speed lift bored down through the ground?
    In fact, why not build an underground rail terminal under the hill while you're at it, to cater for all the rail freight coming out of the Apple plant in Athenry.
    You might be on to something there!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement