Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snack advice - too good to be true? Where's the catch?

Options
  • 28-10-2014 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭

I have never been a big fruit eater (veggies are yummy but I'm just not a fan of fruit) so I try to look for methods other than eating an apple to get some fruit per day. I came across "Bear Nibbles YoYos" and they're nice and tasty. They claim to be one portion of fruit per roll. They seem like fruit winders (if anyone remembers those...), except less processed.

I'm just wondering if there's a catch I'm missing, can anyone see if there's something wrong with it? Normally with processed food there's a catch...

Anyway, I can't post links so if you copy and paste and remove the spaces...

http :// www .bearnibbles. co .uk/yoyos

The nutritionals per 100g are: (each roll is 10g)

Energy: 275 kcal
    Fat: 0.2g
    of which saturates: 0g
    Carbohydrate: 64.4g
    of which sugars*: 49g
    Fibre: 8g
    Protein: 1.9g
    Salt: 0g

*Sugars naturally found in the fruit

They list the ingredients as:
    blackcurrants + apple & pear + a little veg and absolutely nothing else

I'm just not sure what to make of it. I don't want to be gobbling down a pack (2 rolls, 20g) of these per day feeling really proud of myself if they're somehow actually just junk food... Wouldn't be the best at interpreting the nutritional info so would really appreciate if someone could cast their eye over it and see if anything stands out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

You don't have to eat fruit. If you like veg just have some veg. Carrots celery etc. Fruit is pretty much just sugar with fiber and vitamins. Those snack seem like fruit without the vitamins and fiber so just sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,101 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's mostly sugar. The idea of naturally found sugars is largely bunk. The sugar that comes in a bag from tesco is also naturally occurring from in a plant source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Maybe the question you should ask yourself is why you need to snack? Maybe smaller meals less spread out would help?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TeamJesus

The only reason fruit is good for you is because of the nutrients and fibre. I doubt there is much nutrients in this thing.

Are you kidding yourself? Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Avoid them. If you want to snack on fruit chop up some berries or include them on some Greek yogurt with a sprinkling of cinnamon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

The way I see it OP if it's in packaging AVOID!....yes fruit contains natural sugar but it is no where near as bad as processed sugar or additives. Once you are doing 30 mins of activity per day I wouldn't be worried. Bananas have the highest intake of natural sugar so limit your amount of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

EAT THEM! Why wouldn't there be any nutrients/vitamins in them?

They weigh 20 grams!? You don't 'gobble down' 20 grams of anything, it's only 55 calories a day. Go for it, you've nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

JUST EAT THE DAMN ORANGE!!

Advertisement