Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diet to make me smarter?

Options
  • 23-10-2014 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Now that I've got your attention ;)...
    I plan on studying medicine within the next 2 years and I need to improve my diet (and exercise regime but that's another story)
    I eat absolute rubbish but I eat very little so I don't gain weight.. And although I may look the same it's taking a toll on me mentally, I feel lazy and slow(er then usual!) I can't keep going as I am if I plan in getting into medicine..

So any suggestions on diet? I mean I get the 'eat less bad stuff eat more good stuff' idea but are there any foods in particular that has a strong affect for the region between my ears?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

ADHD pills

• Registered Users Posts: 17,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Haven't a clue about what you can do for your brain. I hear it's mainly made of fat, so perhaps eating some healthy fats wouldn't do any harm?

However, improving your diet will improve energy levels and make studying easier. Cut out processed food and prepare meals from scratch. Plenty of meat and veg, with some fruit, nuts, dairy is a good rule of thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

Haven't a clue about what you can do for your brain. I hear it's mainly made of fat, so perhaps eating some healthy fats wouldn't do any harm?

However, improving your diet will improve energy levels and make studying easier. Cut out processed food and prepare meals from scratch. Plenty of meat and veg, with some fruit, nuts, dairy is a good rule of thumb.

The brains made from grey matter but asides that..
    Yeah I heard nuts and of course fruit are suppose to be good for your 'mental awareness' or something to that affect..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 DiegoCosta

Since improving my diet I can think much more clearly and have more motivation so effectively I improving my diet has made me smarter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

creatine, vitamin D3 and Omega 3 oil. Look up nootropics too. There are far more efficient methods than diet though. Reading, ample sleep and meditation (non-religious if you want to get smarter of course, vipassana/mindfulness).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Fish is the oft touted brain food. Or anything with omega 3 I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The OP isn't really looking for food yo make him smarter. Just pointers on a better diet.

OP, you cook for yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

The OP isn't really looking for food yo make him smarter. Just pointers on a better diet.

OP, you cook for yourself?

More or less, my mothers a chef so she could either A-cook for me or B-Teach me

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

Seanf999 wrote: »

She might know of foods to make you smarter.

Seanf999 wrote: »

Anything with as little processing as possible. That rules out breaded chicken, fish fingers, goujons etc. Get her to teach you what spice combos work with meat. Veg as well. There really are a lot of foods that aren't excluded to eat well. You just exclude the bad choices.

Put up an average day's good and people will offer suggestions to improve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Lots of fresh, oily fish. Lots of vegetables, such as cauliflower. Lots and lots of water. Try adding some slices of lemon to warm water when you're feeling a little slow/lazy, I find it refreshes and wakes me up. Snack on nuts and seeds as well, especially if you're on the go and don't have time to eat/prepare anything. Avoid refined or processed foods, as other posters suggested, as these will slow your body/brain down even more. Also avoid sugar where possible, it'll wake you up quickly but you will crash even harder, so work on keeping your blood sugars level.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Dark chocolate can improve memory by 25%, the downside (upside?) is you have to eat the equivalent of 7 bars a day:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/body/seven-bars-dark-chocolate-improve-memory-25/?utm_content=buffer7a373&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Dark chocolate can improve memory by 25%, the downside (upside?) is you have to eat the equivalent of 7 bars a day:

what if you cant remember if youve had 7 or 6 bars?

what if you cant remember if youve had 7 or 6 bars?

Have an extra bar to make sure. If you've had 7 and that's your 8th, memory improves by 28.57%.

#science

Have an extra bar to make sure. If you've had 7 and that's your 8th, memory improves by 28.57%.

#science

have you not seen limitless or lucy? that kind of behaviour only ends badly. next thing you know your eating 25 bars a day and crashing the stock market with your mind.

have you not seen limitless or lucy? that kind of behaviour only ends badly. next thing you know your eating 25 bars a day and crashing the stock market with your mind.

I saw Limitless and Bradley Cooper's mind was blown by how awful De Niro's acting was.

No amount of dark cholocate could have countered that.

I saw Limitless and Bradley Cooper's mind was blown by how awful De Niro's acting was.

No amount of dark cholocate could have countered that.

Time for another bar...

Time for another bar...

you've had too many, it's happening...

you've had too many, it's happening...

Time to go play the markets so.

What could possibly go wrong?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Fish Oils / Omega 3 have really helped me with my concentration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

I ete a hi phat dyet, itz dolphinately de gooderest fur yur branez

I ete a hi phat dyet, itz dolphinately de gooderest fur yur branez

Brainz* it'z*

Advertisement