Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NaNoWriMo Ireland 2014

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

pixelburp wrote: »
    Interesting perspectives on this, as while I've dabbled on and off with the idea of taking part, it has always felt like the writing equivalent of a marathon: a hell of an achievement if you finish, but once done you never want to race again :D I am trying to write longer pieces, with people pushing me towards something more like a novel, but I'm not sure a month cramming session feels particularly natural!

It's not natural. However it opens the caverns in your mind live nothing else. It's one of the best experiences I've ever had. And I'd like to do it again. (Please don't ask me to run though :P)

Even if you look at it as practice, it will improve your writing by the act of just writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Harmony7

Hi All,

So glad I came across this thread, Kitty you're inspirational and put me to shame :)

I'm in .. I'm tired talking and thinking of it, Just got to do it at this stage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Das Kitty wrote: »
    It's not natural. However it opens the caverns in your mind live nothing else. It's one of the best experiences I've ever had. And I'd like to do it again. (Please don't ask me to run though :P)

Even if you look at it as practice, it will improve your writing by the act of just writing.

Yeah true enough, the basic art of just writing is something that still eludes me, preferring the lazier mix of inspiration crossed with procrastination (inspiracrastination!).

Suppose I might give it a go, see how far I get and as you say, it's easily classified as practice :)

3 days.

I've managed to get 2.5k down. Granted, it's easy when you've been pissing about not finishing a novel for 2 years and you know how it's going to go. But I have also been editing some of the start for a class I have on Wednesdays, so I'm still chuffed.

I'm writing the climax, so I don't have enough words left in the novel to actually 'win' and get 50K, but I have a plan. There's what I think is a novella in my head and I'm going to blast into that at warp speed when I run out of story here.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Clockwork Owl

I'm nearly 4k in - 1,500 words in the first chapter, then little scraps of 100-700 words flung into the abyss, to be used somewhere further down the line. That's a generous estimate, as some of it may not even be useable. Had a very slow start in the first few days, so I'm hoping I can catch up now I've a few days off work.

God, I'd forgotten how tough this is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Was on holiday so I didn't start till last night. I was planning to finish the work in progress from last year but I was inspired to start a new story instead. Probably doesn't have the legs to be a full length novel but I'm enjoying it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

5 days in and a mere 2400 words written; the comp. definitely works as an effective spur to write even if my output isn't on a par with others'. Mostly draft-level stuff, but it's still good to scribble / type away...

Draft level is probably better than some of the muck I'm putting down.

I'm not meeting targets either, but I'm not too worried. I'm finally writing the bit I've been putting off. *cries*

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Hesthea

I'm not meeting targets either, but I'm not too worried. I'm finally writing the bit I've been putting off. *cries*

Same here. Even though i know that i'm not writing enough words per day to win it, i still keep on going because i want to see how much i have achieved at the end of November.

It will still be a win for me since i've never finished anything or written for so many days in a row... 8k words in 7 days and still going =)

Woo. Draft zero of the novel is complete!

In the push to get it done this weekend I'm only about a thousand words behind target.

Now I have to decide wheter to skip out of NaNoWriMo, or to start the other thing.

Hmm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Woo. Draft zero of the novel is complete!

In the push to get it done this weekend I'm only about a thousand words behind target.

Now I have to decide wheter to skip out of NaNoWriMo, or to start the other thing.

Hmm!
    You could always turn it into a trilogy. At this rate you will have three novels written by the end of the month.:)
    Well done. Don't stop now.

echo beach wrote: »
    You could always turn it into a trilogy. At this rate you will have three novels written by the end of the month.:)
    Well done. Don't stop now.

I was just finishing the one from two years ago :)

I've enough of my main character now. I've tortured the poor fecker enough. :pac:

I started the new thing, but I haven't been hitting the targets. I got about 1K done each day.

I'm about 3k off the pace now.

How's everyone else going?

Bit like yourself, my pace bottomed out a litle, in the last week managing only about 1000 words of 'doodles', as I call them; disconnected strands that may work in the overall narrative. The poor weather, other work-related distractions and generally low energy levels have killed my enthusiasm.

Plus I can't get my character out of a locked room, which is remarkably more difficult than it sounds! :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    Plus I can't get my character out of a locked room, which is remarkably more difficult than it sounds! :D

Oh no, I know exactly what you mean!

Last time I did this I spent 10k words trying to get my character out of his flat. In the end, I lured him out with sex. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Hesthea

I started the new thing, but I haven't been hitting the targets. I got about 1K done each day.

I'm about 3k off the pace now.

How's everyone else going?

Don't worry about that. Has long you're having fun is what it matters. Due to work i haven't been able to write for the last week so i got stuck in my 10k words =(

Will restart writing as soon as i get some more free time =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

I have been doing this each day. I am off the 50 K pace but i am going to keep with it after NOV. I am going to keep doing it.

Is it 3k a day roughly to keep pace? Sorry my head is frazzled. I worry also my quality is ****e!

I completely flatlined at 15k words.

I tried to keep going with the second thing, but the main characters are very different in the two, so I found I couldn't edit one and write the other at the same time.

I've rewritten chapters of my first one over the month, but I didn't keep track of the word count.

I don't mind so much. I'm still floating on the wave of having finished a thing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

I completely flatlined at 15k words.

I tried to keep going with the second thing, but the main characters are very different in the two, so I found I couldn't edit one and write the other at the same time.

I've rewritten chapters of my first one over the month, but I didn't keep track of the word count.

I don't mind so much. I'm still floating on the wave of having finished a thing. :)

Well done you !!

I am over 20k at the mo.

Advertisement