Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus Strike (read warning in post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

You do realise there are several links off that article. You know, the ones he says were ignored in the E&Y study.

I had so many links open that I used a quote from an article not linked - not deliberately.
    Here is the link showing the 50% figure.
    Link

If you want to call me a liar then fire ahead. Doesn't bother me.
    Your evidence that privatisation is bad disputed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Was there not a strike in 2014? Or was that for the trains.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

cloud493 wrote: »

I think there was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There were separate strikes in Bus Eireann and Dublin Bus in 2013 relating to pay cuts.

There was a strike in Irish Rail in 2014 relating to pay cuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

18 months back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

lxflyer wrote: »
    There were separate strikes in Bus Eireann and Dublin Bus in 2013 relating to pay cuts.

There was a strike in Irish Rail in 2014 relating to pay cuts.

Ah thats the one. Anyway, its a massive pain in the arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Was few statements claiming public support the strikes and that boards isn't an accurate reflection.

According to poll here
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/bus-strike-causing-major-drop-in-trade-businesses-claim-1.2198308

nope. The majority don't agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Strikes are useless from the strikers pov. They lose pay. Biting off yer nose to spite yer face.

All strikes and industrial disputes are eventually settled AROUND A TABLE.

I would urge all to get a grip and sort it out.

And it will be eventually, but loss of pay is a big price to pay for a delayed round of talks that will hammer out an agreement. That is the reality.

History of industrial disputes tells us this.

Don't be digging yer heels in. That only means loss of earnings.

Terrible approach IMV. Who loses? Those who lose pay that's who. But why?

Eventually it will be sorted. Talking and sorting is good. Losing pay is bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,933 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The union could lose far more than that if the courts rule against them and make them liable for loss of income.

The union could lose far more than that if the courts rule against them and make them liable for loss of income.

As sure didn't one poster already claim they will just change there name or start up a new siptu /nrbu union

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    You do realise there are several links off that article. You know, the ones he says were ignored in the E&Y study.

I had so many links open that I used a quote from an article not linked - not deliberately.
    Link

Therein lies the problem with drawing conclusions from reports or statistics; unless you have a good working knowledge of the subject you are unable to accurately interpret the data provided or critically assess the conclusions.

The relevant passage from your link:
    Despite the limitations in developing such analyses, I am advised that on the basis of recent research undertaken on behalf of the National Transport Authority (NTA), the subvention levels for operations similar to Bus Éireann vary between 32% and 70%. This is based on a comparison of subvention levels in 4 countries, namely, Belgium, Netherlands, Sweden and Switzerland.
    If the Public Service Obligation payment is the only subsidy considered, the subvention to Bus Éireann in 2012 was 35% of their total PSO revenues. However if the payment for the Free Travel Scheme is included, 46% of Bus Éireann revenues are subsidised by the State. This places Bus Éireann in the low to middle of the range of subsidy payments of those countries compared.

In the NTA’s recently published economic analyis of Direct Award Bus Contract in the Dublin market, it was stated that a comparative analysis of subvention levels across Europe indicated that levels of public transport subvention vary between 35 and 60 percent of revenue. It added that when all State interventions (including the PSO subvention, Free Travel Scheme, tax foregone as a result of the Taxsaver scheme, emergency funding and funding for the purchase of new buses) are taken into account, the level of subvention to Dublin Bus is at the upper end of the range and approaches 50%.

The main thrust of that is the inclusion of the Free Travel Scheme means the subventions are considerably higher than the base figures. This is simply wrong. The Free Travel Scheme payments are in lieu of fares for those on the scheme, they are state support for those on welfare not subvention of transport companies.

By any credible analysis the FT payments are incredibly low for the number of passes in circulation and actual journeys made (even the head of the Department of Social Protection has said so) and there is a good argument to be made that the cancellation of the scheme would actually increase the fare revenue for all CIE companies well above the current FT payments.

Also If you are going to include FT as a subvention then you are saying that almost every private bus service in Ireland is also receiving a subvention as they also take FT payments.

How about a comparison to Irelands other subvented bus service, the rural transport scheme? It's subvention figures are somewhere around the 90% mark, it costs the state something like €15 per passenger journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Gatling wrote: »
    As sure didn't one poster already claim they will just change there name or start up a new siptu /nrbu union

That would be rubbish.

The legal actions would be against the Unions as they are constituted at the time of the industrial actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Link

Apologies, your 50% claim was not a lie/misquote - you have however, been misrepresenting the article.

The 50% figure you provide in that link, for calculating subvention, is not a correct measure of subvention - it goes against EU standards - P58:
    Dublin Bus expresses concerns regarding the way in which government subvention was defined and calculated in the consultation documents.

It states that ‘included as state interventions are PSC, Free Travel Scheme, tax forgone due to Taxsaver tickets, emergency funding and new bus purchases.
    Definitions of subvention in European public transport operations never include these categories as subvention and this results in the Technical Report not comparing like with like. As a result it wrongly depicts Dublin Bus to have a higher reliance on public funding than is actually the case.’
    http://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Report_on_Bus_Eireann_Direct_Award_Contract.pdf

In addition to that, here are my figures from earlier, calculating the subvention including the NTA contribution from new busses - which is still well below other compared EU subventions:
    Ok, I've found those figures (cost of new buses) in the reports, and have factored them in (PSO = Public Service Obligation subsidy, NTA = National Transport Authority capital investment/subsidy).
    Can ignore everything except bolded bits:
    Year|Revenue|PSO Subsidy|NTA Subsidy||Total Revenue (Rev+PSO+NTA)|Total Subsidy(PSO+NTA)|Subsidy Percentage
    2013|€204,128|€64,540|€37,400||€306,068|€101,940|33.31%
    2012|€191,054|€69,435|€32,900||€293,389|€102,335|34.88%
    2011|€178,311|€73,032|€7,700||€259,043|€80,732|31.17%
    2010|€182,153|€75,682|€9,300||€267,135|€84,982|31.81%
    2009|€196,307|€83,199|€6,800||€286,306|€89,999|31.43%
    2008|€203,668|€85,629|€28,766*||€318,063*|€114,395*|35.97%*
    2007|€200,364|€80,078|€77,745*||€358,187*|€157,823*|44.06%*
    2006|€189,272|€69,845|€77,750*||€336,867*|€147,595*|43.81%*
    2005| €181,453|€64,900|€22,159*||€268,512*|€87,059*|32.42%*
    2004|€177,553|€61,810|€56,000*||€295,363*|€117,810*|39.89%*
    2003|€172,937|€53,867|€34,987*||€261,791*|€88,854*|33.94%*
    |||||||
    Avg 03-13|€188,836|€71,092|€35,592*||€295,520*|€106,684*|36.10%*
    Avg 09-13|€190,391|€73,178|€18,820||€282,388|€91,998|32.58%
    * No NTA figures in the 2003-2008 reports, but many new buses added, so estimated based on 2013 bus cost. It's not clear how much of a portion of this funding is from Dublin Bus itself, so figure is almost certainly skewed/wrong.

Some NTA figures are estimated and likely excessive (the 09-13 figures exclude those ones), but even when counting that, the subsidy is still quite low.

Strikes are useless from the strikers pov. They lose pay. Biting off yer nose to spite yer face.

All strikes and industrial disputes are eventually settled AROUND A TABLE.

I would urge all to get a grip and sort it out.

And it will be eventually, but loss of pay is a big price to pay for a delayed round of talks that will hammer out an agreement. That is the reality.

History of industrial disputes tells us this.

Don't be digging yer heels in. That only means loss of earnings.

Terrible approach IMV. Who loses? Those who lose pay that's who. But why?

Eventually it will be sorted. Talking and sorting is good. Losing pay is bad.

While you are essentially correct, everybody loses from strikes, the sad fact is that when the next round of talks take place the strikers will be in a stronger negotiating position as they have already proved their willingness to take action to back up the claim.

Instead of the government/NTA acknowledging that the workers have a genuine grievance and are willing to back it up with action they refused to deal with the issue properly, allowed the workers to issue their ultimatum and carry it through.

Now they will go back to the table and address the issues properly as there has been mass disruption, they could have done that previously before the disruption occurred.

Donoghue issued a last minute statement vaguely guaranteeing the workers they wouldn't lose out, if he wanted to do that then why wasn't such a clause written into the tendering process already? This hasn't just happened overnight it has been going on for YEARS. For most of that time the NTA have been refusing to engage with the workers/unions at all, pretending that they had nothing to do with the workers situation when in fact they are central to the jobs/conditions at stake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

There are a lot of people on here who are either hoping or relying on the unions losing in the courts so that this may be resolved.

Personally speaking, I'd be looking for something more than what is in essence an even bet. Time for all to meet in the labour court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Vic_08 wrote: »
    While you are essentially correct, everybody loses from strikes, the sad fact is that when the next round of talks take place the strikers will be in a stronger negotiating position as they have already proved their willingness to take action to back up the claim.

Instead of the government/NTA acknowledging that the workers have a genuine grievance and are willing to back it up with action they refused to deal with the issue properly, allowed the workers to issue their ultimatum and carry it through.

Now they will go back to the table and address the issues properly as there has been mass disruption, they could have done that previously before the disruption occurred.

Donoghue issued a last minute statement vaguely guaranteeing the workers they wouldn't lose out, if he wanted to do that then why wasn't such a clause written into the tendering process already? This hasn't just happened overnight it has been going on for YEARS. For most of that time the NTA have been refusing to engage with the workers/unions at all, pretending that they had nothing to do with the workers situation when in fact they are central to the jobs/conditions at stake.

I agree with you with the minister. Theres no point in coming out saying that "oh your jobs are secure lads" with absolutely nothing to back this up. The whole reason strikes break out in the 1st place is because trust has broken down. Noone EVER trusts any minister unless theyre backing their statements up.

Drivers lose money for striking but when your there for more than half a year with many complicated issues expecially regarding contracts and pensions and getting nothing but horseshyte what do you expect would happen?

Remember in the last few years the only outright strikes bar this latest one in each seperate CIE company was caused by unilateral changes by Management of workers pay and conditions. Beyond that I cant recall any strike in over 10 years from any of the companies before Fine Gobshyte came along.

Even in all this i have seen NOTHING as to HOW theyre meant to make savings on these routes without cutting pay. Not only that but the bar was set high enough so only foriegn companies could realisticaly compete. We only need to see the track record of previous privatisations to see where this will end not only in other countries but this countries track record with other sectors as well.

Many people are annoyed that theres no bus but sadly strikes are what happens when your dealing with both lousy management and political opportunists and your getting nowhere after over half a year. One thing to remember tho is if the unions really didnt care at all about the public they couldve striked on all weekdays when people are at their busiest. Most of the days are off peak weekend days and a bank holiday monday bar 2 which are fridays. Its a major inconvenience but its what happens when bad policy makers and poor management go making changes with no consideration of the consquences of these decisions on their workers.

What's siptus 6 point agenda they want first and foremost.
    The NRBU said they were confident about talks the other day where siptu only wanted there agenda bowed to
    One union seems it wanted to talk (apparently going by there statement )
    And another union taking a militant view of our way or no way (going by there statement )

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Gatling wrote: »
    What's siptus 6 point agenda they want first and foremost.
    The NRBU said they were confident about talks the other day where siptu only wanted there agenda bowed to
    One union seems it wanted to talk (apparently going by there statement )
    And another union taking a militant view of our way or no way (going by there statement )

Off the top of my head they want a guarantee that all pay and conditions including pensions stay the same for any driver moving to a private operator and they want agreements put in place across the entire industry specifying min pay and terms

Stheno wrote: »
    Off the top of my head they want a guarantee that all pay and conditions including pensions stay the same for any driver moving to a private operator and they want agreements put in place across the entire industry specifying min pay and terms

Seems reasonable enough. Would prevent race to the bottom scenarios. I wouldn't have a problem with LC negotiated agreements.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Seems reasonable enough. Would prevent race to the bottom scenarios. I wouldn't have a problem with LC negotiated agreements.

Smacks to me of the unions trying to control the industry

the affected staff already have tupe protection

The LC isn't just made up of unions.

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    The LC isn't just made up of unions.

Im aware of that but it strikes me that with their demands the unions are trying to extend their control of the industry

I still remember commuting from portlaoise to dublin years ago and the flash strikes on the trains which meant you literally didnt know if you coukd get to work

unions in the transport industry are corrosive imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,154 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

thats if they pay it. i wonder could they probably shut down for a day and come back under a new name? might be a way around it.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

it doesn't. having minimum standards of terms and conditions and applying those across all tendered bus routes of the NTA is the right thing to do. it ensures fairness for all and the race to the bottom.

means nothing. grayhound
    Im aware of that but it strikes me that with their demands the unions are trying to extend their control of the industry

no they aren't. the demands are reasonable
    I still remember commuting from portlaoise to dublin years ago and the flash strikes on the trains which meant you literally didnt know if you coukd get to work

unfortunate but necessary, otherwise they wouldn't have happened.

no they aren't and never will be. they are necessary and ensure that the transport industry has good terms and conditions and pay where they exist.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

So did Greyhound workers, wasn't much good though was it ?

• Advertisement

From that articleSo efficiency stays the same whether public or private.

He arrives at the figure of 27% of DB revenue is subvention. Drill down further and you will seeIt's at the upper end, never mind well below the average of the cities he quotes That article says an average subvention would transform our bus service, we are already above it.

He is unwittingly making a case for privatisation, while arguing we should everything public. Strange article.

If you bothered to read the article he is criticizing the formula that EY used to get the 50% figure by including stuff that is not subvention like the free travel scheme, and also the comparison in which DB is on 27% is a comparison of direct subvention unless you also add all the other cities direct and indirect subventions as well you are not getting a meaningful comparison ( ignoring whether they should be included).

Also if efficiency is the same in public or private why are we changing if as you claim it makes no difference ?

No they are trying to protect their members, any new employees for any new operator may or may not join a union but they would still have at least the minimum conditions agreed to.

Comparing CIE today to the CIE of 30 or 40 years ago is pointless.

The unions in transport have been in the last 20 to 30 years very restrained, to say they are corrosive is beyond hyperbole.

cdebru wrote: »
    Also if efficiency is the same in public or private why are we changing if as you claim it makes no difference ?
    First of all, it's not me making the claim. If you had bothered to read my post, never mind that mind numbing article, you would see that I said it may or may not be better.

I'm not making any claim at all, just showing not all people agree with your opinion.

First of all, it's not me making the claim. If you had bothered to read my post, never mind that mind numbing article, you would see that I said it may or may not be better.

I'm not making any claim at all, just showing not all people agree with your opinion.

But you did make a claim, you claimed we were above average on subvention, when the whole article is pointing out that the figures in the report are doctored to give that impression, by including stuff that isn't subvention, and only including other stuff for Dublin Bus and not for other operators.

cdebru wrote: »
    But you did make a claim, you claimed we were above average on subvention, when the whole article is pointing out that the figures in the report are doctored to give that impression, by including stuff that isn't subvention, and only including other stuff for Dublin Bus and not for other operators.
    I pointed out that somebody disagrees with the content of that article.
    peppa pig wrote:
    He arrives at the figure of 27% of DB revenue is subvention. Drill down further and you will see...
    when all State interventions (including the PSO subvention, Free Travel Scheme, tax foregone as a result of the Taxsaver scheme, emergency funding and funding for the purchase of new buses) are taken into account, the level of subvention to Dublin Bus is at the upper end of the range and approaches 50%.
    Earlier qualified by:
    Peppa Pig wrote:
    There is nothing to suggest that this will be different for DB routes. It may be, but we are being told to accept it as fact

If you think me quoting Leo Varadker is me claiming something when I have said it may not be, then grand, so be it.

Why do you believe that FTP and bus supply should not fall into the subvention category, when comparing to other cities?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I pointed out that somebody disagrees with the content of that article.

Earlier qualified by:

If you think me quoting Leo Varadker is me claiming something when I have said it may not be, then grand, so be it.

Why do you believe that FTP and bus supply should not fall into the subvention category, when comparing to other cities?
    So you are posting links to things you now claim are incorrect and you don't agree with. Interesting debating strategy.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    So you are posting links to things you now claim are incorrect and you don't agree with. Interesting debating strategy.
    May or may not be = is incorrect.
    May or may not be = was correct but I don't agree with it.

And my debating strategy is interesting.

I still await verifiable facts that tendering = race to the bottom.
    There are none, same as tendering = great idea.
    It's all opinion. A lot of people are stating it as fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

No there's pretty clear evidence that has been provided to show that widescale tendering has not gone down well in other countries - all you have done is try to reinterpret provided statistics, using unsound methodology (by counting things as subsidies that the EU explicitly states should not be counted) in an attempt to dismiss provided evidence/stats.

It's just a form of trying to act perpetually 'unconvinced' at any/all evidence provided, through nitpicking - to try and pour doubt so as to obscure the issue.

That's exactly what people do when they want to pour doubt and spread bullshít on a topic: Try to reduce everything to 'just an opinion' - trying to dismiss all evidence provided as 'just opinion' as well, by pouring doubt on it in specious ways.

Already answered, if you had bothered to read:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95315500&postcount=1462

Direct funding of fleet purchases should be included, as long as all similar schemes are included from comparison countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cilldroichid

I still await verifiable facts that tendering = race to the bottom.
    There are none, same as tendering = great idea.
    It's all opinion. A lot of people are stating it as fact.

Cost of diesel is the same for everybody, cost of new buses is the same for everybody, cost of new bus parts is the same for everybody and the cost of insurance and taxes is the same for everybody. The cost of labour is about the only way to put in a cheaper price for a tender. Private contractor A pays their drivers €16 an hour, private contractor B pays their drivers €14 an hour, private contractor B wins the the tender. Next time the tender is up private contractor A pays their drivers €12 an hour and wins the tender.

None of the above is fact you might say except that is exactly what has to me as railway maintenance general operative. We're now working for €9 an hour with no union, no pension, no sick pay and what amounts to a zero hour contract of employment because the private contractor I work for has no other option in order to win tenders off Irish Rail.

In my opinion the Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann drivers should do every thing within their powers to block tendering with out guaranteed employee equal pay and conditions and if means an all out strike so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Pure protectionism - everything will be benchmarked at Dublin Bus rates and work practices.

If a private sector operator wants to run a more efficient service, we shouldn't hold them back by forcing them to adopt the work practices of the public sector.

hmmm wrote: »
    If a private sector operator wants to run a more efficient service, we shouldn't hold them back by forcing them to adopt the work practices of the public sector.

Efficiency is one thing. Running it on the cheap is another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I was under the impression that CIE saved quite a lot of money on fuel due to the amount of it they buy ? (Filling thousands of buses and a quite a few trains)

Surely a private operator could not match them savings !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

I'm presuming all the Union Bashers on here will be going to work tomorrow rather than enjoy the public holiday which was secured by the Trade Unions

Pure protectionism - everything will be benchmarked at Dublin Bus rates and work practices.

how can they run the busses any more efficiently. most of the social routes themselves are unefficient by their nature. who said the minimum standards would be bench marked to dublin bus. and even if it was so what. having minimum standards across all tendered routes is a reasonable request

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

I'm presuming all the Union Bashers on here will be going to work tomorrow rather than enjoy the public holiday which was secured by the Trade Unions
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think DB and BE run pretty good services. Indeed when I travel back home to Donegal I prefer to take BE than drive. Comfortable buses with Wi-Fi is a winner vs a long drive.

So it makes me wonder why the unions are against the tendering of the routes, surely they can work to win them...

I think DB and BE run pretty good services. Indeed when I travel back home to Donegal I prefer to take BE than drive. Comfortable buses with Wi-Fi is a winner vs a long drive.

So it makes me wonder why the unions are against the tendering of the routes, surely they can work to win them...

Political interference, Undercutting of the service via lower wages, privatisation by stealth are some of the reasons.

how can they run the busses any more efficiently.
    The same way Ryanair broke the Aer Lingus monopoly, and the same way that the private bus companies have broken BE's monopoly on the routes they've been allowed to run. Anywhere that "public sector" companies have faced competition, they have struggled - and the unions know that unless the public are forced to travel with them, they will go on struggling.

If BE & DB are efficient services, they should have no fear of competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

The same way Ryanair broke the Aer Lingus monopoly, and the same way that the private bus companies have broken BE's monopoly on the routes they've been allowed to run. Anywhere that "public sector" companies have faced competition, they have struggled - and the unions know that unless the public are forced to travel with them, they will go on struggling.

If BE & DB are efficient services, they should have no fear of competition.

so not bringing you where you want to go ?

want to go to paris with ryanair ? no problem, just about 100 kilometers outside paris and a hundred euro bus journey.

Or want to go to that small town between wicklow and wexford ? always bus eireann because and the private operators wont go in because theres no money in it.

if the private operators get these routes they will still have to go into all these small towns and villages regardless and that will be the same journey time as bus eireann and same cost. the only mistake made by bus eireann is they should've gotten around to doing express routes before the private companies.

so not bringing you where you want to go ?
    90 million people don't agree with your sneering. I suppose you think we should still be paying Aer Lingus 500 quid for a trip to London to "keep air travel in public ownership".

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭J_Dublin15

want to go to paris with ryanair ? no problem, just about 100 kilometers outside paris and a hundred euro bus journey.

Never let the facts get in a way of a good story:
    http://www.aeroportbeauvais.com/bus.php?lang=eng
    Or want to go to that small town between wicklow and wexford ? always bus eireann because and the private operators wont go in because theres no money in it.

Bus Eireann go into the small towns where they make a loss before subsidy because they are paid to do so, not out of the kindness of their hearts, the privates don't because they are not paid to do so.

If BE had to operate with no subsidy, they would also cancel the routes for the very same reasons as the privates do not operate them now.

90 million people don't agree with your sneering. I suppose you think we should still be paying Aer Lingus 500 quid for a trip to London to "keep air travel in public ownership".

You edited out my other points. No point debating with me if your only going to pick what you want to debate.

So again if i want to go to Paris then it's aer lingus to bring me there because ryanair are too cheap to pay the fees on cdg.

or if i want to go to new york, aer lingus again because they have great deals on them and ryanair won't go there

and again that small town in between wicklow and wexford i want to visit , i only can use bus eireann because the private boys don't see enough profit to go in.

J_Dublin15 wrote: »
    Never let the facts get in a way of a good story:
    http://www.aeroportbeauvais.com/bus.php?lang=eng

Bus Eireann go into the small towns where they make a loss before subsidy because they are paid to do so, not out of the kindness of their hearts, the privates don't because they are not paid to do so.

If BE had to operate with no subsidy, they would also cancel the routes for the very same reasons as the privates do not operate them now.

An extra hour and 15 mins on my trip depending on traffic ? No thanks. Would rather just fly into Paris itself

that's what I'm saying too, if the private lads get these routes its still going to be the same journey and times along with the same prices until they notice they aren't making as much money as hoped and throw in the towel on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭J_Dublin15

and again that small town in between wicklow and wexford i want to visit , i only can use bus eireann because the private boys don't see enough profit to go in.

You cannot compare a company being paid to operate a route, with a company who will not be paid to operate a route not operating it. The former will always have an advantage and make it impossible for anyone to compete.

The ironic thing is you moan about this, but tendering would allow a level playing field where private and public companies are both able to get the same conditions when it comes to operating unprofitable routes.

And tell me, if Bus Eireann are so great why are they removing stops from their Expressway services of small Towns because they are nonviable? After all, they are committed to such town's aren't they?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement