Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

• 03-11-2013 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

*NB*

See mod warning here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88945474&postcount=2483

*NB*

Not sure if there is a poll for this. Just wondering which one will you plan on getting?

Playstation 4 or Xbox One 1240 votes

PS4
    0% 0 votes
    Xbox One
    73% 906 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    26% 334 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭theblaqueguy

PS4 all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Getting both on launch, but the PS4 had me sold on it since February. Only jumped on the X1 when they had the free Forza 5 pack. I was a 360 fan since launch last generation but since this year with PS+ I've gone back to Sony and can see the PS4 being my primary console this generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Getting both on launch. Pre-ordered the PS4 in March and the Xbox One in May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Poll needs an atari jaguar option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Both by default, but if I didn't need them for work, neither for another year or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

I'm an Xbox 360 player currently but I think it will be a PS4 for next gen, won't be buying for at least a year yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Think I'd go for PS4 myself. One thing to consider though it the PlayStaion 4 does not support external hard drives. Battlefield 4 is 35GB, Knack is 37GB, and rumours put Call of Duty: Ghosts is 49GB. You can replace the console's internal hard drive as long as it fits a number of criteria. It must be no thicker than 9.5mm and larger than 160GB. Sony's also revealed that while you can rent games on disc, play them and then decide to purchase a copy, it won't be a smooth transition. The disc install data (presumably including any of your progress) must be deleted before you install the new, digital version, which must be downloaded in its entirety. Also, you will not be able to play MP3s or audio CDs on your new games machine. It will play DVD and Blu-ray movies, but it no longer features DLNA support, so you won't be able to stream videos or other media from your home PC.

http://www.playerattack.com/news/2013/10/31/ps4-no-external-storage-pc-streaming-mp3s/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I'm an Xbox 360 player currently but I think it will be a PS4 for next gen, won't be buying for at least a year yet though.

I'm much the same. Wouldn't get either day one, there just isn't enough new games there. Maybe next summer if I can afford it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Not at launch, in 2014 though. Probably ps4, but the kinect with the xbone also looks pretty nice. It might just boil down to what most of my friends get so I can play with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Xbox on launch for me, Dead Rising and Forza are two of my favourite games so looking forward to them. I would get both if I could afford it but the PS4 will have to wait until I have the spare cash to get it.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't buy either til the first round of price-drops and decent bundles but the plan was PS4. I was willing to put up with the controller but then MS dropped the mandatory Kinect and Sony started being arseholes about things like playing MP3s. So for now, undecided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Dont think il get either for a year or two, mite just stick to the pc for now. But if i do it will be a ps4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Wouldn't buy either til the first round of price-drops and decent bundles but the plan was PS4. I was willing to put up with the controller but then MS dropped the mandatory Kinect and Sony started being arseholes about things like playing MP3s. So for now, undecided.

You'll be waiting for a long time, considering the PS4 is €100 cheaper than the one it likely won't drop in price by €1 until the ONE has dropped €80-100 that is unless the ONE starting to kill in sales.

I'd say it'll be 18 months to 2 years before a price drop happens, the price point may not change but Sony at least do like to add value while retaining the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Getting Xbox One with Fifa, Forza, BF4, and cod ghost. In March I'll get Titanfall.

Varik wrote: »
    You'll be waiting for a long time, considering the PS4 is €100 cheaper than the one it likely won't drop in price by €1 until the ONE has dropped €80-100 that is unless the ONE starting to kill in sales.

I'd say it'll be 18 months to 2 years before a price drop happens, the price point may not change but Sony at least do like to add value while retaining the same price.

Bundles are apparently going to inflate the price at the start. It may be January 2015 before the price drop, I'll wait that long no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I won't be buying either until there are a few games I want to play, right now for me there's no reason to get one.

Also I want to wait and see what way each system performs after a few months ownership, see if they are reliable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Will get the PS4 first, but neither till next year sometime. Still way to many things to play on the PS3 and pc at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I am only going with 1 machine this round. I'm leaning towards the PS4, but I'm tempted to hold off a bit and see what the steambox can do. Plenty of 360 games I still have not played, so in no real rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Neither! :D

FU Consumerism! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Nothing interests me at all on either that i cant already play on PC.
    Titanfall is coming to PC too so as of yet theres nothing on either that is
    A. exclusive
    and
    B. interesting to me

This video sums it up for me.

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-should-you-hold-off-on-next-gen/2300-6415611/

But i will be buying one for my son, as of yet im not fully sure which.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Playstation 4 because I am sticking with the same company since I was 8 years old

once the games I want comes out like infamous second son and metal gear I be all over next gen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Will probably pick up a PS4 after 6 months. Will wait for a decent selection of games and the initial hardware issues to smooth out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I got the PS2 and 3 at launch but wont be doing it again. I have a good gaming PC with a one year old high end card so Im sticking to that for now. I just picked up a key for Metro Last Light on a 48 hour sale for 10 euro, so Im happy with what I have.

Plus I heard the PS4 wont have any of the ability of the PS3 to play a vast amount of file formats, no picture card readers etc. I need most of that on my PS3 so Ill keep it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I'll probably pick up the PS4 first. It's a fairly well priced piece of Hardware and finally has more comfortable controllers that the XBOX1.

Although now that I'm 1k Into my new PC build I might not get Either of them for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Ps4. Never been very much (if anything) worthwhile on xbox consoles that isn't available elsewhere if you're not big on FPS games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So you comparing both problems equally and cant decide... forced Kinect, dislike for controller VS a ability to play mp3 ( which is already confirmed to be patched in )... WoW...

Anyway, I am all the way ps4 for launch, got 480eu payed off so far for Killzone ega bundle + Ghost + Knack.
    I will be getting Xbox one after price drop later on, got good few friends on that box and I cant resist Forza games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Thread needs a both option

Xbone at launch, PS4 in Jan/Feb probably (a few months ago it was the opposite)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭lertsnim

PS4 at launch. I intend on getting the XBOX One late in 2014. I want to see how it gets on before I spend a large amount on it.

So you comparing both problems equally and cant decide... forced Kinect, dislike for controller VS a ability to play mp3 ( which is already confirmed to be patched in )... WoW...

Missing-the-Point.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,209 ✭✭✭✭Penn

PS4 at launch. Don't know if I'll go for the XB1 at a later stage. Have the PS3 and 360, but just rarely bother with the 360 these days. While some of the XB1 exclusives do look great, and probable unannounced exclusives down the line, I just don't think it'll be enough to make me get both. PS4 is definitely my preference though. While all the "Social & Sharing" features don't interest me in the slightest, the PS3 was just a brilliant console, PS+ has been insane value for money, and there's simply nothing the XB1 has that I want which the PS4 doesn't also have.

Missing-the-Point.jpg

That does not even make sense in this argument. :confused:

Anyway, move a long. Good luck in your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Hmm, I'm an Xbox man but I'm not getting either for at least 12 months I think. In recent times I've been completely swayed by the PS3 exclusives and the insane value in the PS+ program versus the p!ss poor Games For Gold attemp by Xbox.

It's a big case of wait and see at this stage. I've got heaps to be doing on 360 for the time being so I'm in no rush at the moment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

PS4 clearly. I can't see my money going to MS this time round

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

X1 at launch for me as I love Forza and achievements but I was on the fence until they binned the 24hr DRM BS.

PS4 already paid for :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

I was happy enough to buy into a new xbox but they've made a complete mess of it. 720p games? €100 premium for a gimmick like Kinect? I'll miss the controller but I'll sit this generation out for a year at least. Pc gaming all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I didn't get a PS3 until the Slim, at which point there were plenty of games like Infamous and 2 Uncharteds to play.
    Will probably wait again this gen. If I do get one it's looking like it'll be PS4 unless Microsoft do something to convince me to get a XBox One

WoW, PS4 is winning it by A LOT. I was expecting something like 60% to 40%, but not that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Hawkeye1

WoW, PS4 is winning it by A LOT. I was expecting something like 60% to 40%, but not that!

why would you pay more for less? surprised its not winning by more tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

PS4 for me. €100 cheaper, the continued support of PS+ and seemingly better hardware swing it for me.

• Advertisement

Hawkeye1 wrote: »
    why would you pay more for less? surprised its not winning by more tbh

Because I never underestimate the "Power of Fanboy", unfortunately 2 of my local buddies still a hardcore Xbox fanboys and will pick up Xbox One, not ps4. I would love to be able to play with them, but I just cant justify Xbox one. Specially with more and more negative reports about xbox one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Are people not put off Xboxes by previous hardware problems such as the RRoD?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

No more than people possibly being put off by a network security hack.

You would have to think (/hope) microsoft and sony have learned from any mistakes made in the last generation of consoles.

Lucena wrote: »
    Are people not put off Xboxes by previous hardware problems such as the RRoD?

Posted by other user in Playstation forum:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11/04/ps4s-alleged-overheating-problems-developers-say-they-dont-exist/

both Consoles have no Issue with overheating at all. Its a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Because I never underestimate the "Power of Fanboy", unfortunately 2 of my local buddies still a hardcore Xbox fanboys and will pick up Xbox One, not ps4. I would love to be able to play with them, but I just cant justify Xbox one. Specially with more and more negative reports about xbox one.
    It's not all "fanyboys" that are getting the Xbox over the PS4, some people will prefer the games on the Xbox over the PS4, for example if I was getting the PS4 on launch I would only have a real interest in multi-platform titles and maybe Killzone but on Xbox I really want and am getting Dead Rising and Forza, nothing to do with fanboyism, just I prefer the games on Xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Looking to PS4 but not at launch, not until a system seller game comes and forces me to buy one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

PS4 eventually but no rush. Thankfully Dark Souls 2 is coming out on PS3 so no forced buy just yet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Will get a PS4 at some point, no interest at all in the Xbox.

Have stuck with Sony since PS1 and got PS2 and 3 at release. Bought a 360 in 2010 because that's what most of my friends were playing at the time but hardly touched it after a month or two and went straight back to PS3.

Have moved more towards PC gaming in recent years and if I were to spend €400/500 on a gaming device I'd sooner buy some shiny new PC components than a console.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I never bought a console until a game came out on it that really pudhed me over the edge to buy it. For example bioshock forced me to buy the 360.

However in this case neither qre pushing my buttons. It seems that they wre removing more features than adding them

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jiminho

Just curiously, to all the people who picked the PS4, why are you picking it over the Xbox One? I mean is it the price? Whats 100 quid when your going to keep the console for years. The games? Personnel taste I guess but i thought this would be divided 50/50. I just wonder why the poll is so one sided.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement