Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tay's Study Log - 2014

Options
  • 30-08-2013 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Might as well start this now. I missed a good half of 5th year so I'm well behind on things.
    Subjects:
    Irish - HL
    Maths - HL (Contemplating dropping down)
    English - HL
    French - HL
    Chemistry - HL (Contemplating dropping down)
    Biology - OL
    Home Ec - HL

I was forced to do Biology and Chemistry, therefore I couldn't care less if I failed either of them. I only picked up Biology in 6th year and I'm teaching myself.
    I also don't have a Home Ec project so there goes 20%.
    Maths is my worst subject, I managed to get 10% for the Summer exam. Yay.

I'm not aiming for any points, I just want to do well in my Leaving cert and be out of secondary school.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭A7XGirl

Work completed:
    Watched 'An Gnathrud' by Gaelgory on YouTube. I got distracted by the music so I spent half an hour looking for it.
    Then I decided to read 'Genetics' in my Biology revision book. I got bored and went on Facebook.
    I attempted to revise Slyvia Plath, again, I got bored and wandered off. I returned to my desk and started on Home Ec.
    I read a sentence in the 'Meat' chapter and gave up.
    All I can say is that I have a LOOOOONG way to go.
    Rating of today's studying would be 0.5/10
    Study Song of the day: Bob Dylan - Stuck Inside A Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.

I finally managed to do some work today!
    Work completed:
    English - Completed a reading comprehension in 25 minutes. (Was my homework anyways).
    French - Revised the present verbs
    I then went out and relaxed before coming back 5 hours later to do more work.
    Home Ec - Studied the Meat chapter
    Biology - Read a few pages of Genetics
    Irish - Started translating Colscaradh...got bored.
    Maths - I intended on doing this, but lost interest.

I'd rate today a 3/10, better than yesterday anyways.
    Study song of the day: Metallica - Whiskey in a Jar. Unluckily for me, I remember the whole lyrics but can't manage to remember what I read in Genetics chapter.

Didn't do much studying today. Unless playing the guitar counts...

Work completed:
    French - Present Verbs again.
    Home Ec - Iron
    Maths - Number Sequences (Which was my homework)
    Irish - translated a Steve Jobs reading comphrension. Didn't understand anything on the damn sheet so I used Google Translate, then gave up afterwards.
    I'd rate today's studying 2/10, simply because I couldn't really be bothered. I'll try again tomorrow.
    I attempted not to listen to music while studying and that was absolute horse poop. In the end, I had Scar Tissue by The Red Hot Chili Peppers turned on.

Starting to get into it now.
    Work completed:
    Biology - Cell Structure
    French - Irregular Verbs
    Irish - First sraith pictiur, did a reading comprehension
    Maths - Complex Number, did an exam question.
    English - Answered a reading comprehension
    Home Ec - Vitamin C
    Chemistry - Learned about the Alkanes
    Rating: 6/10
    I had 'Ca Plane Pour Moi' by Plastic Bertrand on repeat. Might as well top up on my French aural along the way.
    Can't believe how much I got done today :D

Didn't do much today since I devoted my spare time to my guitar, but I did re-read a few things.
    Work completed:
    Biology - Cell Diversity
    Chemistry - Alkanes and Alkynes
    Maths - Complex Number, I moved to ordinary level so things are much more understandable now.
    French - L'imparitif (I think)
    Home Ec - Had a test on Meat and Iron, I reckon I could get a B1 or A2. I'm planning on revising Carbohydrates tomorrow morning.
    I've also begun looking at courses, so it's time I start aiming for something.
    Rating: 5/10 , I forgot to mention that I was watching tv the whole time while studying Biology...I'll have to start going to the library by the looks of things.
    Study song: Didn't listen to any. I was told by my Chemistry teacher not to listen to music while studying. I feel like I soaked in less, so I'm going back to my hard rock and heavy metal playlist tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Glad to say that I managed to do a full week of study, although I didn't log it, it still counts. I've managed to up the ante in terms of studying. But could do with huge focus on certain subjects.
    Work Completed today:
    Economics - Introduction (Teaching myself and I love it already. I've found so many similar links with JC Business. This might be my best subject yet.)
    English - Wrote an Essay on "We live in an unheroic age."
    Maths - Sequences, finally tackled a question I found difficult.

Tomorrow, I'll be cooking all day long, so I doubt I'll get any studying done. But if I do, I'll study Cheese in Home Ec, Ecology in Biology, A poem in Irish, A poet in English and I'll do some homework. I have to find a proper way to plan out my freetime.
    My day goes like this:
    5.45am - Wake up for school and get ready.
    7.25am - On the Bus
    8.40am - Arrive at school (With 5 minutes to run to my locker)
    3.35pm - School Ends, go to the bus stop.
    4.15 - On the bus (Bus is due at 4.00pm originally)
    5.15 pm - Arrive at my town
    5.30 - Arrive home, eat and talk.
    6.00 - Do some homework while watching tv, this usually links to studying.
    9.00 - Get really tired, and go to bed. Don't fall asleep until around 10.00pm
    And somewhere in between 6-9, I attempt to spare 15-30 minutes for guitar.

Managed to get a few things done during my break.
    Economics - Demand (Easy enough.)
    Irish - Translated a Pollution comprehension, read Geibheann and wrote a bit on the poet.
    English - Revised on Sylvia Plath's background and I plan on starting her poems tomorrow.
    Chemistry - Alkanes and Alkenes. Also done Chemical Bonding, a few more re-read of the chapter and I shall understand it. (Test on Monday, hoping for anything over 5%.)

Sadly, I didn't get to do any Biology or Home Ec. They are now my priority for tomorrow.
    I stopped listening to music as it turned out..it was actually a huge distraction. Yes, I'm slow.
    I also discovered KhanAcademy on YouTube and apparently it's a really good channel for Biology and Chemistry. I'll do a review tomorrow on a Chemistry chapter on KhanAcademy. Now to get back to the cooking!

Going out for a good few hours and decided to get some studying done.
    Work Completed:
    Biology: Enzymes, I think I finally understand it now, thanks to a Youtuber called Bozeman Science. Honestly, this guy is a SAVIOUR. He explains a whole chapter PERFECTLY in less than 15 minutes!
    Home Ec - Cheese, Calcium and Vitamin D.

That's all I've done so far, but as soon as I come back, I'll get some French, Irish and Chemistry done. I'll still try and do a review of a KhanAcademy Chemistry video. Hopefully it helps for my test tomorrow and I can escape with 10%.
    I'm also gonna get exam papers sometime this week for Chemistry, Biology and Economics.
    Also I'll probably look at some college courses this week, have to start aiming for something!

Didn't get to do French or Irish, but did get a chance to watch a KhanAcademy video. I watched the first one in the Organic Chemistry section and it blew me away. It's like "Why do I bother going to Chemistry class when this divine being exists?"
    The guy goes into clear and precise detail, he repeats his words so many times that you're bound to be chanting the whole topic in your sleep. I finally understand how to draw Alkanes, something that my chemistry teacher failed to teach us. I also watched one of his video on Gas Laws, and wow, where has this been all throughout 5th year?
    After watching his video, I re-read the chapter in my book and everything just clicks! I STRONGLY recommend KhanAcademy for anyone else struggling with Chemistry. I'm even happy to say that I might be able to manage a 15% on my test tomorrow (Slow and steady until I'm proud enough to predict higher marks.)
    And the best part, it doesn't even feel like I'm learning. It's just a YouTube video, a spectacular one indeed.

Had a Chemistry test today. It was easy enough, but unfortunately, I failed to revise the important parts. I think I managed a fine 25%, either way I'll be happy if its over 5%!
    Work completed:
    French - Plus que parfait (Have a test tomorrow)
    Home Ec - Vit D, Calcium, Cheese. I had a test on Fish, Carbohydrates today. I got 88%, which I'm okay with.
    Maths - Series and Sequences.
    Biology - Ecology; Nitrogen Cycle.
    I'm going to make a study plan and try and study 2 subjects per day, usually I just read a random part from all my subjects. Which puts a strain on me.
    I'll probably study Biology everyday, since I'm WAAAAAYYYYY behind.
    Last year, I didn't pay much attention to the English poetry, so I'll have to start soon.
    I'm so tired now. So tired that I don't even want to watch Breaking Bad!

• Advertisement

72% on my Chemistry test!!! I was as shocked as everyone else. I'm usually the girl who sits in class and plays with her iPod! I done better than 99.9% of the whole class! If I'm capable of this, I can't even imagine what it will be like if I pay attention and study! Wow! I'll try my best to keep it up!
    I'll be doing study later, but for now, I'm gonna go eat and relax!

I didn't really do much today. I had a study class and started the Fungi chapter in Biology. Also done a bit of Acid and Bases.
    I was going to start revising poets, but was too tired.
    I also had a French test today, I reckon I scored over 50%.
    Home Ec test tomorrow, looking forward to it. Now, I'm going to bed!

I have to admit to not studying yesterday. Not when I was out to see Roger effing Waters! All throughout 'Another Brick In The Wall' I was thinking of burning my school books! I was so tired today that I wore odd shoes to school...yup that's my life.
    Anyways, I got my home Ec test back. 88%, it's okay but could be improved.
    We have another one next Wednesday on Cereals, Bowel Disease and Vit B.
    I'm not prepared yet, but will study soon!
    Work completed:
    Finished my Irish Essay that due tomorrow, it's on Timpellachta.
    That's all I actually done today. Wow, I'm starting to slack again. I haven't even picked up a guitar in 4 days!

Work to complete over weekend:
    Biology: Fungi and revision of Ecology
    Chemistry: Acids and Bases
    French: Mon ecole oral answer
    Irish: Geibheann, aimsir caite and revision of an essay. Also study sraith pictiur 8 and a bit of oral work.
    Maths- None needed yet.
    Home Ec - Cereals, Bowel Disease, Vitamin B and Coeliac Disease
    Economics - Start a new chapter
    English - Practice an essay and study Seamus Heaney, make notes on Macbeth characters.
    A lot to do but I'll try my best!

I think that I've finally finalised my subject levels.
    Maths - O
    Irish - H
    English - H
    Biology - H
    Chemistry - O
    Home Ec - H
    Economics - H
    French - H

Now that I've dropped levels in Chemistry and Maths, I can focus on the rest of my subjects. I find Ordinary Maths to be super easy! I'm even glad to go to Maths now! And as for Chemistry ...lol idc.

Too much guitar, too little study D: And now I found out that I have an English composition due for tomorrow. A Maths test and an Irish test tomorrow. English, I could get 4-5 pages done in an hour, so that's a relief. And Ordinary Maths is easy enough, but Irish...ah jaysus.
    Work completed over the weekend:
    English - Macbeth characters (Macbeth and Lady Macbeth)
    I keep avoiding the poems for some reason.
    Irish - Mo Ghra Sa (I actually love this poem now). Also done a sraith pictiur.
    Maths - Nada
    French - L'ecole oral
    Home Ec - :( Nothing
    Biology - I got so bored that I nearly cried.
    Economics - Nothing
    Chemistry - Hahahahahahhaha. I'm honestly dropping this. Just thinking about it makes me feel sick. Or maybe it's the amount of rubbish I ate over the weekend. :(
    I'm making a study plan this week! And I'm only studying 2 subjects per day. I feel so unorganised.

Too exhausted to do any work today. I'll finish my homework and off to mo leaba.
    Work completed:
    Maths - Exam paper 2013 Q.5

Again, I can't get anything done. Not with my younger brother in the hospital! Ugh, this is so not my week.
    Work completed:
    Read a word in Cereal Chapter for Home Ec.

Slowly sinking back into studying.
    Work completed:
    English - Vision and Viewpoint of Sive ending.
    Biology - Ecology
    Home Ec - Wrote up a bit of my project
    Irish - Translated paragraphs on the recession.
    French - Listening (Complete and utter failure)
    I'm dropping chemistry and boy, I am so happy about it that I just want to backflip for the next 2 days!

I plan to try and get a fews things done over the weekend.
    Biology - Photosynthesis
    Economic - A new chapter
    Home Ec - B6, B12, Yeast and Bacteria
    Irish - Colscaradh
    Maths - Nothing, This is probably the only subject that I feel at ease. Since I moved down, I understood it better.
    English - Read Macbeth, I missed out when my class read it last year. DO SEAMUS HEANEY NOTES. (This is a priority now.)
    French - Bitta oral work, some vocab.

And between it all, coffee, guitar and endless amount of procrastination.

• Advertisement

Work completed :
    Irish - Colscaradh notes
    English - Funny thing, I started reading Macbeth and gave up after two pages. I then attempted to watch the movie, again, IT WAS BORING. I find it difficult to adapt myself to learning something that makes me want to gauge my eyes out. I'm gonna talk to my English teacher about studying a different play/novel.
    Biology - Started Photosynthesis, got bored and fell asleep.
    Chemistry - Hahahahahahaha
    Home Ec - Skimmed through Yeast and Bacteria.
    All in all, I barely did anything today. Seriously starting to lose my mind over the LC. One thing I must remember not to do is drop out. As hard as it is or will be, I can't drop out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MsBradley

How long does it take for you to get to school ?!?

MsBradley wrote: »
    How long does it take for you to get to school ?!?
    Roughly an hour, I'm late on most days. But if there's no traffic, I can make it 5 minutes before the bell rings :)

Came back from a long day and attempted to get some work done.
    English - I finally started my poetry!!!! YEEAUHHH!....okay. Done my Slyvia Plath notes out and ready.
    Biology - I hate this, I tried and couldn't be bothered.
    French - Flicked through exam papers (Counts as studying ok) and cried when I saw all the work I couldn't do.
    I'm about to lose my mind....you've been gone for so long...ugh no time for Sklyar Grey. I shouldn't be wasting all my tears on French, need to save some for Breaking Bad finale :(

A7XGirl wrote: »
    Roughly an hour, I'm late on most days. But if there's no traffic, I can make it 5 minutes before the bell rings :)

Why does it take so long :o

Why does it take so long :o
    I live 4 towns away from my school :/

Done nothing today. I'm dropping down in Biology, cannot be bothered anymore.
    Maths O
    English H
    Irish H
    Economics H
    French H
    Biology O
    Home Ec H
    I wonder what the next subject will be...Irish is really starting to get on my nerves..

Holy mother load! That's a lot of travel!

Holy mother load! That's a lot of travel!
    Ah you get used to it after a few months xD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Burn your guitar.

In all honesty, you should get into the habit of putting any distractions, such as phones, guitars, laptops, tablets or anything in a completely separate room during study.

I find that a rewarding timetable works for me. So if I do a good 30 minutes on a subject, I'll go on the internet for 15 minutes and if I do another hour on something else, I'll take a good enjoyable break again.

Just a suggestion but it's nice to have something to look forward too in between study.

Advertisement