Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unhygienic gym-should I complain?

Options
  • 11-10-2014 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

I've joined a cheap gym in the UK, the Gym Group if any of ye know it. It's a very cost effective gym and one of their ways to reduce cost is to not have blue towels and cleaning spray. They say it's for the environment but pah, we all know he truth.

Rule 2 on their website and in the gym is that everyone must have a towel. I am not kidding when I say that hardly anyone has one. I'd say one person in every four has a towel. Honestly.

I watched a guy work up an almighty sweat today on a bike. He was on it an hour and sweat was dripping off of him onto he ground. He had no towel. When he was done he stood up, and walked off, leaving the handles and seat wet. I shuddered.

Two days ago, I watched in disbelief as a girl was on the cross trainer in her socks. No shoes.

I've only been a member a month!

Is this disgusting? Should I complain? The socks is an isolated event. And at least she walked out in shoes! But the towels is just... I've taken to carrying a bottle of hand sanitiser around with me. Should I just stick with that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Those type of dirty conditions will give rise to infections spreading. Won't be long before everyone in there has a staph infection or something nasty. I'd say something to management. I'd nearly consider calling people out for it yourself. I've done it several time in my gym. If people leave dumbbells and plates all over the floor.
    Number one rule for a gym is always, leave the place as you would like it left..

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭RomanGod

Since joining the gym I've brought my towel onto the gym floor once.... and that was to use it to grip the bar doing deadlifts because I forgot my straps and didn't want to worsen my calluses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Thanks Empacher.

My boyfriend suggested to keep saying it until they did something about it.

My worry is also the spread of infection. And I don't want to sitting on someone else's anal sweat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39,023 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

gubbie wrote: »
    Two days ago, I watched in disbelief as a girl was on the cross trainer in her socks. No shoes.
    I get the issue with sweaty seats and machines but what's the big deal with socks?
    I deadlift in socks all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Just get a packet of antibacterial wipes like dettol and wipe down an area before you use it, I get a huge packet of 500 wipes for 3 euros in tesco, its their own brand.
    If other members see you doing this regularly they will probably start doing the same themselves, for no other reason than they assume you know something they don't.
    That's what I started doing in my gym and now pretty much all the regulars do it too and make a big fuss of cleaning after someone who doesn't wipe down after themselves. Newbies assume its policy and follow suit.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Just get a packet of antibacterial wipes like dettol and wipe down an area before you use it, I get a huge packet of 500 wipes for 3 euros in tesco, its their own brand.
    If other members see you doing this regularly they will probably start doing the same themselves, for no other reason than they assume you know something they don't.
    That's what I started doing in my gym and now pretty much all the regulars do it too and make a big fuss of cleaning after someone who doesn't wipe down after themselves. Newbies assume its policy and follow suit.

Epic idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

RomanGod wrote: »
    Since joining the gym I've brought my towel onto the gym floor once.... and that was to use it to grip the bar doing deadlifts because I forgot my straps and didn't want to worsen my calluses

Everyone in the gym thinks your a smelly, sweaty, moldy ballbag, but if you start using your towel they will think your cool.

Not bringing/using a towel is the same as leaving your dumbbells on the floor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

The only fault with my gym is that's it's dirty. Really dirty. I'll come out after a session and my hands are dirty from handling the plates. It's the only gym I've heard a guy telling me he won't join because it's smelly.

Advertisement