Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

finipops wrote: »
    Okcupid is overall a better looking site but it seems there's more people on POF.

It is really, really, ridiculously good looking :pac:

But it just got a little less good looking as I am no longer on it :p . For the best of reasons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Okcupid is overall a better looking site but it seems there's more people on POF.

But it just got a little less good looking as I am no longer on it :p . For the best of reasons :)

It is a very well designed site. Much more intuitive and user friendly than pof. I take it you have had some luck then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

What :eek: :);)
    Details!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Allllright!!!!!!!!!! :)

Not gonna jinx anything by saying too much on here, but had some of the best dates ever recently. The type where a 2 hour meet up turns into a 12 hour mega date! All very early days but I've no interest in talking to anybody else on OKC. Logged in yesterday to delete it, sent a quick mail to the few I had been talking to saying I'd met somebody whilst wishing them luck.

Like I say, it's early days and I don't like/want to talk too much on here but I've been walking on air recently. Long may it continue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Not gonna jinx anything by saying too much on here, but had some of the best dates ever recently. The type where a 2 hour meet up turns into a 12 hour mega date! All very early days but I've no interest in talking to anybody else on OKC. Logged in yesterday to delete it, sent a quick mail to the few I had been talking to saying I'd met somebody whilst wishing them luck.

Like I say, it's early days and I don't like/want to talk too much on here but I've been walking on air recently. Long may it continue!

Always great to hear success stories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭BornIn84

I reluctantly went back on POF last week because i've hit a bit of lull with dating.

I gotta say it's really rubbish.

I'm a good looking guy (not to sound cocky), genuine and down to earth. I have alot going for me.

Saw some nice girls on there, and mailed out 25 by now.

Barely any reply! And i have given some witty and informative mails to get a response but still nothing.

Either you get only ONE mail back or none at all.

No offence to any of the girls who have mailed me off the bat but i wasnt attracted to them and i would always write back saying thanks but no thanks.

I think some girls are on there either for an ego boost or are just browsing and have no intention of getting to know someone.

And ive heard that some guys ruin it for the rest of us by being crude and looking for one thing!

So can anyone tell me if okcupid is any better??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Or maybe they just weren't attracted to you?

It does happen you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

At the risk of repeating myself, I'm still not missing the online dating. All the effort you put into sending loads of mails, getting little or no response, sometimes struggling to come up with something to write in a mail as the person's profile is so devoid of information and personality you are almost trying to create a personality for them, for you to interact with.

Then the whole texting, calling and nervousness before the date and the uncertainty.

I'm not missing it for the time being anyway, I must be about 2 months off the sites at this stage, or at least since I last mailed anyone. I moved my OKCupid profile from disabled to deleted a week or two ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

G-Money wrote: »
    At the risk of repeating myself, I'm still not missing the online dating. All the effort you put into sending loads of mails, getting little or no response, sometimes struggling to come up with something to write in a mail as the person's profile is so devoid of information and personality you are almost trying to create a personality for them, for you to interact with.

Then the whole texting, calling and nervousness before the date and the uncertainty.

I'm not missing it for the time being anyway, I must be about 2 months off the sites at this stage, or at least since I last mailed anyone. I moved my OKCupid profile from disabled to deleted a week or two ago.

Sure if you see it as being an "effort", then of course it's not going to be any fun!

If you're struggling to find anything to say to someone in a mail because they seem to have no personality, then how are you going to have anything to say in real life?! They're obviously not suited to you, so forget mailing them and move on.

I like the nervousness before the date. :) It's fun, it's a good "butterflies" sort of nervous. And what's the worst that could ever happen, even if it's the worst date ever and you've nothing to say, you could always make your excuses and leave after a couple of hours. It's not a life or death situation (unless your date turns out to be an axe murderer, then your nervousness may be justified. :eek: )

If you hate the whole thing and were getting nothing good out of it, then it's totally understandable that you've given up on it - it obviously just doesn't suit you. Doesn't mean that it can't work out for other people though. You just have to see it as what it is - a bit of fun, and a good way to meet new people. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

How long should a date actually last for besides being 12 hours? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

How long should a date actually last for besides being 12 hours? :p

Only as long as it's going well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

What in the name of god is Bane actually saying there? I can't make it out at all.

Can't make out what they're saying about the Mayor near the start either...

um... wrong thread dude. but anyway...
    384036_10151114314020727_646780726_22429315_1143459319_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Lost Accent

I was on a date over the weekend where I managed to spill my drink all over my top, jeans, my coat and bag. And I wasn't even nervous! Still at least I managed to only saturate myself. Don't think I'll be seeing the guy again. There was no chemistry although he was perfectly nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

mood wrote: »
    Only as long as it's going well!

my first date last week went on for 7 hours! hmm, i think this one is a keeper ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

It does happen you know.
    True but its nice to be nice. :) Reply, and just say thanks but no thanks.

booboo88 wrote: »
    True but its nice to be nice. :) Reply, and just say thanks but no thanks.

It's funny, when I was on those sites I'd rather get ignored than some girl replying saying she's not interested. I suppose sometimes when people say that they can come across as a bit pretentious or snobby. Although I know email/text can convey the wrong impression at times.

I'd rather be told straight out, it might sting a lil, but better than not knowing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

zuroph wrote: »
    um... wrong thread dude. but anyway...
    384036_10151114314020727_646780726_22429315_1143459319_n.jpg
    I guess my ninja delete wasn't as ninja as I thought...

One of my issues with online dating was that I often contacted girls when I was bored, which probably isn't a good way to initiate contact.

• Advertisement

liz2 wrote: »
    my first date last week went on for 7 hours! hmm, i think this one is a keeper ;)
    What did you do for seven hours? An hour or two is grand with me for the first date anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

What did you do for seven hours? An hour or two is grand with me for the first date anyway.

well we met up at 8 for a few drinks but we got on so well that we stayed out for the night, clubbing and all! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Great to hear man. :)

It does happen you know.

Not to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pac:

Just kiddin'. I'd swear if that James Van Der Beek didn't make my face become associated with that Dawson Leary chap I'd be recognised as the handsome chap I am.
    Alas, now women see me and think:
    tumblr_lougjzlDdE1qag20a.gif&sa=X&ei=uJDwToGlMcaGhQf_0tSgAQ&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFjN6xk3iyoc8lQVEMHGndQvTFJbQ

I have two dates lined up for the first two weeks of january. I'll get more nervous as the days approach so i can't back out of it now nor would i. I hope all goes well as this is my first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Kya1976 wrote: »
    I went on a date last night. He had baked a cake and brought it with him for me. This is the bloke that wants to keep things casual btw.
    Not sure what to think about it tbh.

He never baked before in his life, I love baking myself and have loads of pictures up on fb of cakes and stuff I made, which I'm guessing he would have seen.

It was a really nice gesture:)

That's gas! :D

I've hidden my profile today. May go back to it at some point... when the urge to procrastinate takes over! :pac:

Good luck to everyone with dates over the next while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Kya1976 wrote: »
    I went on a date last night. He had baked a cake and brought it with him for me. This is the bloke that wants to keep things casual btw.
    Not sure what to think about it tbh.

He never baked before in his life, I love baking myself and have loads of pictures up on fb of cakes and stuff I made, which I'm guessing he would have seen.

It was a really nice gesture:)

Most important question, was it delicious?!

radio silence today

*_*

DOES NOT COMPUTE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

Hey guys,

I'm just reading the thread recently as haven't much to contribute :( really not having much luck at all!!
    Anyway, just got a msg saying I look like Katy Perry :) pity the guy lives the other side of the country :rolleyes:

missbelle wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm just reading the thread recently as haven't much to contribute :( really not having much luck at all!!
    Anyway, just got a msg saying I look like Katy Perry :) pity the guy lives the other side of the country :rolleyes:

If you'd like someone else to confirm these claims, I'll gladly oblige. Purely for informational reasons of course.

:D

How gallant :)
    Link sent, sorry in advance for disappointing :D

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    radio silence today

*_*

DOES NOT COMPUTE!!

Give her one more day to re-establish contact. If it does not occur move on and find someone else to spend your time with.

Chin up Galvasean.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Give her one more day to re-establish contact. If it does not occur move on and find someone else to spend your time with.

Chin up Galvasean.

Surely you can't act like that about messages, texts, emails etc at this stage?

There could be all sorts of reasons why she hasn't been in contact. I wouldn't be so all or nothing in your approach. Things happen, shít happens and it can get in the way of contacting people that are still strangers.

How gallant :)
    Link sent, sorry in advance for disappointing :D

There was no need to take the self deprecating route!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Getting a decent amount of messages, but nothing really happening. :( I either get bored with the boring ones, or the cool ones get bored with me. :p

Surely you can't act like that about messages, texts, emails etc at this stage?

There could be all sorts of reasons why she hasn't been in contact. I wouldn't be so all or nothing in your approach. Things happen, shít happens and it can get in the way of contacting people that are still strangers.

I don't mean in a 'block them from your account' sort of way, just a sort of 'stop waiting for/anticipating said contact' sort of way.

edit: Actually, I'm being FAR too impatient. It's Christmas week. The poor girl is probably EPIC busy.

Yep, was being too impatient. Back chatting now. :o

I know what some of you are thinking, "Galvasean is gone mad". Well you're half right.
    Galvasean has ALWAYS been mad ;-)

:eek: :o:p

"Fukemhard has added you as favorite!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

/jealous

:pac:

I can't find their profile in the username search .... dammit :P :D

• Advertisement

RESULT!

RESULT!

aw but wobblyknees is such a nicer username :p

RESULT!

aw but wobblyknees is such a nicer username :p

Yes, as in the girls get wobbly knees when they see what I look like. Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Decided to join OKC a few weeks back, it’s a nice site but there's not too many on it. POF has a terrible interface in fairness; I actually thought there was something wrong with the site. I only started it using it properly at the weekend, uploaded pics and that. Are most people using the free version of it or what?

Anyway have being chatting to a few on OKC but nothing major, haven't sent out many messages to be honest. POF seems to have better in terms of the numbers but I’m just browsing for the moment.

Katy Perry lookalike, gotta say I’m intrigued given the Zooey Deschanel comparison which people make.

Anyway hopefully it goes well, I’ll keep ye posted I guess. :)

Right thats it, I'm staying single until prince charming on a white horse comes along.

Just got a reply from a guy..... are you a bold girl?
    just out of the blue, not even flrty chat before hand

and another

'im cumming looking at your pic'

thats me finnito. Unless I move to Dublin cause theres no real people on pof in my area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Right thats it, I'm staying single until prince charming on a white horse comes along.

Just got a reply from a guy..... are you a bold girl?
    just out of the blue, not even flrty chat before hand

and another

thats me finnito. Unless I move to Dublin cause theres no real people on pof in my area

sleezzzyy!

Did you see what was on their profile as you can stop those who are looking for "intimate encounters" from messaging you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

and another

Who ever said romance is dead?

Still though, impressive that he can ****, and type, and click send all at the same time.

Misticles wrote: »
    sleezzzyy!

Did you see what was on their profile as you can stop those who are looking for "intimate encounters" from messaging you.
    Already had it done.
    oeb wrote: »
    Who ever said romance is dead?

Still though, impressive that he can ****, and type, and click send all at the same time.
    I'd say he's had years of practice:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Just dropping in to say happy christmas and stuff to all ya'all.

hope the online dating thread continues to have success stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Im meeting up with newbie for some Christmas shopping, wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

A combination of being utterly shattered and drink hitting me way harder and faster than it normally does resulted in me calling my date by the wrong name (she has the name surname as one of my work colleagues and I was midstory about something reminding me of work so out popped the wrong first name). :o

Still got a second date though. :cool:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement