Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is too much and how much is too little for an engagement ring

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

derferjam wrote: »
    i have been talking to a female friend and she said anything from 3000 and 5000 surely this is a bit much i only earn 25000 a year

You would be mad to pay that much for a ring If I had a ring at that price I would be afraid to wear it

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

€2,000 and below too little. In my opinion it depends how rich you are in regards to too much. Lets say for arguments sake, say we won the lotto, I personally would still think anything above €10,000 is a bit showy. That is my taste, I know friends of friends who have €20,000 rings. Some can afford them, some are in debt and it is to keep up appearances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

mozattack wrote: »
    Answer:

Poor people will say, "not much, it is the thought that counts"

Well off people will quote some obscene price and an "interesting" story on how long it took to find the "perfect ring"

Snooze

I wonder what charmless people would say if they were asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

I recently bought an engagement ring in NYC for $4,200 brought it back to Dublin and had it valued by an expert who valued it @ €13,000

Was then shown the rings I could have got for $4,200 in Ireland absolutely nothing in comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

I recently bought an engagement ring in NYC for $4,200 brought it back to Dublin and had it valued by an expert who valued it @ €13,000

Was then shown the rings I could have got for $4,200 in Ireland absolutely nothing in comparison

Could you sell it today for that price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

No,
    I was told by the valuer that if he was selling an engagenent ring that a jewlers would be the last place he'd go

Also the Irish would rarely by second hand engagenent rings

I'd not sell it anyway and it was never the plan to sell it

I'm just happy I've got value for money

But I did visit Loyes on Baggot Street and was told I was lucky I got a good quality ring as there are some real horror stories about buying rings abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 F7Z

Make sure its solid gold for that resell value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

But you have to pay duty on that and that where they get you. Remember all those years ago posh and becks came back from USA engaged, the customs nabbed them on the duty, as they never realised it had to be paid.

I have a few sisters who were engaged several times, one in particular used to fling the ring back on a regular basis, and this made me realise there is a much bigger commitment than a ring and put me off. I told himself that I never wanted one, mind you we just went ahead and only gave everyone 2 weeks notice for the wedding. I made sure to buy what I wanted in a wedding ring though.

It used to be 3 months wages, that guided people in buying a ring. But as you can see here its not about the cost, just make sure the proposal is unforgettable for her as she wil be retelling it for a long time,

Good luck, go with your instinct,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

If my boyfriend proposed and I found out that he had spent anywhere near 2 or 3 months salary on a ring I would seriously consider whether or not we should get married as we clearly have very different financial priorities. Whether or not we could afford it (and if we could that would indicate a high monthly salary so probable be huge amount of money).

We had the discussion recently where I told him I would hate a really expensive ring as I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it. Around €500 would be more than enough. He was a little shocked as assumed it was a bad reflection on him to spend so little and he had considered spending €100 or €200 on the token proposal right. After having a proper discussion about it he realised that the concern was more with what other people would think and that our future financial stability (money for a house and savings for our future) is more important than spending money on a ring. As long as we both love it and it lasts a lifetime thats all I want.

Though in saying that all just me. I think all this mention of how many months salary is crazy, you should spend what you can afford and what you and your partner is comfortable with. Who cares what anyone else thinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

OP would you consider moissanite? http://www.moissanite.co.uk It is a stone in itself but looks very similar to a diamond. There is a lifetime guarantee. This guy Steve is amazing. He can make you a ring. I really considered it as I my hands take a fair big of bashing in work especially with fairy liquid and cleaning products. There is a thread a few years ago http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056757191 where myself and another poster put up info and prices on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I dislike the idea of a 'token' ring. Why not just spend that extra money on the ring itself instead?

I went down the custom ring route, you can get something that's unique, exactly what you want, better quality than mass-produced rings, and better value for money too.

If you do consider that, drop me a PM and I can pass you on the details of the guy that made the ring for us, should you wish to check him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tbeans

Spend what you feel comfortable with but I would recommend you research and shop around!!

Having to spend a month's salary or similar is a very old fashioned way of looking at this.

We found that lots of smaller diamonds are cheaper than one large one so maybe take a look at a halo style for example.

• Administrators Posts: 13,778 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I dislike the idea of a 'token' ring. Why not just spend that extra money on the ring itself instead?

I'm talking about a bit of costume jewellery that can be bought in Dunnes for a tenner!!!

It is a big investment, no matter how much you pay for it. Even say a "cheap" ring would still be around €300. I wouldn't go out and spend that much money on any gift for my husband without being guaranteed he wanted it, loved it, and wanted it above any other gift. Surprise proposals with the perfect ring are a lovely idea. But I think these days a girl would like the chance to have a look and a say in what she is going to have on her finger for ever more (presumably!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I always assumed they meant something for a tenner, not "extra money".

Do people actually spent 100+ on the proposal ring ???
    That's all mental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

PLL wrote: »
    €2,000 and below too little.

Says who? I've never been much into jewellery and €2k of a ring would have been wasted on me. To this day my engagement/wedding rings are the only jewellery I wear.

We got the engagement ring from Thomas Gear and custom made wedding rings from Martin Gear, highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'm talking about a bit of costume jewellery that can be bought in Dunnes for a tenner!!!
    bluewolf wrote: »

That's all mental

I have seen people talking about getting ones for €100-200, as a temporary ring until they get the proper one... which is absolute insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I have seen people talking about getting ones for €100-200, as a temporary ring until they get the proper one... which is absolute insanity.

I know someone who got one from ebay for less than €5. It came from China but was grand till they picked out the actual ring!
    http://www.ebay.ie/sch/Rings-/67681/i.html?_from=R40&_sop=15&_nkw=engagement+ring&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

It doesn't have to be a temporary ring, it could also be a genuine gift that will have some sentimental value and she may wish to wear for a long time. Personally I bought my OH an emerald ring as the token engagement ring as she has always wanted one. It wasn't cheap but it wasn't overly expensive either and if anything she loves it just as much as the engagement ring itself which is 8 times as expensive. She now wears both rings permanently.

With that being said I proposed in Lanzarote and she asked if I had bought the ring in one of the cheap souvenir shops by the beach! I had to point out that it actually was slightly more valuable than that! :D

Now you might think if she wears both rings all the time why not treat the emerald ring as the engagement ring? Quite simply it's not as durable as the diamond engagement ring, white gold vs platinum, and she wanted a traditional diamond engagement ring. Also it was never meant to be an engagement ring, just a nice emerald ring that she can wear when she wants to.

So a token ring to me is just something you can use for the proposal in lieu of the "real thing". It can be as cheap or as expensive as you like it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RHN_Ireland

My (now) husband and I picked out the ring together and I ended up picking out a ring that was far less than the budget because it suited my taste more than other more expensive rings.

I do think it's lovely to be able to pick your ring together and I too got a promise ring. Chosing my ring together was a really special experience and I am glad I got to be involved in the process.

In terms of budget spend what you can and what you can justify. We could have afforded spending more on the ring but there were other things we wanted to spend our money on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭marie12

There's a lovely ring in swarovski at the moment 50eu. It's just as nice as others I've seen. Who really cares about real gold, stones, etc ? Is it that important at the end of the day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

marie12 wrote: »
    There's a lovely ring in swarovski at the moment 50eu. It's just as nice as others I've seen. Who really cares about real gold, stones, etc ? Is it that important at the end of the day?

It kind of is if you want to wear the ring daily for the rest of your life.

It kind of is if you want to wear the ring daily for the rest of your life.

Durability is a factor. I'd be more concerned about durability of more important things but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

marie12 wrote: »
    Durability is a factor. I'd be more concerned about durability of more important things but that's just me.

Just because you don't rate an engagement ring as important doesn't mean others don't think it's very important. My husband could've spent a lot more on my ring but that doesn't mean I don't think the proposal and engagement were very important.

lazygal wrote: »
    Just because you don't rate an engagement ring as important doesn't mean others don't think it's very important. My husband could've spent a lot more on my ring but that doesn't mean I don't think the proposal and engagement were very important.

Exactly, it's what the ring symbolises. Any ring will symbolise what you want it to. Regardless of price.
    I don't conform to the norm I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

A few years back, when I was young(er) and foolish(er), I let my then-fiance spend 2.5k or thereabouts on an engagement ring. I ended up selling it a couple of years ago for around a fifth of the price.

What made it worse was that I'm not even into jewellery, at all, hardly ever wore any jewellery, apart from that ring! But we had this idea that an engagement ring was a must, and he had heard about the "one months salary" rule ...

I would honestly have been just as happy with a cheap ring from Swarovski or whatever. And at least then I wouldn't have been so concerned about "minding" it all the time.

In fact, for holidays and nights out, I used to wear a huge massive blingy Claires Accessories ring that cost me all of a fiver - and got loads of compliments on it! :D

If you're really into jewellery, an expensive ring might make sense for some couples. Honestly though if I ever got engaged again, I'd either go for no ring or a relatively cheap one!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭derferjam

Excuse me but how did my question end up with you two talking about selling the ring

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

PLL wrote: »
    €2,000 and below too little. In my opinion it depends how rich you are in regards to too much. Lets say for arguments sake, say we won the lotto, I personally would still think anything above €10,000 is a bit showy. That is my taste, I know friends of friends who have €20,000 rings. Some can afford them, some are in debt and it is to keep up appearances.

Out of interest why is anything less than 2000 too little. Would some people see that as an insult or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

It is a big investment, no matter how much you pay for it. Even say a "cheap" ring would still be around €300. I wouldn't go out and spend that much money on any gift for my husband without being guaranteed he wanted it, loved it, and wanted it above any other gift. Surprise proposals with the perfect ring are a lovely idea. But I think these days a girl would like the chance to have a look and a say in what she is going to have on her finger for ever more (presumably!)
    bluewolf wrote: »

That's all mental

Yeah, I find this concept of a token ring stupid, tbh, because I've heard of people spending the 100+ on the token ring. :eek: Complete waste of money! The only thing that matters when being proposed to are the words "will you marry me". You don't need a token ring to do that. Just go out and buy it later together.
    lulu1 wrote: »
    You would be mad to pay that much for a ring If I had a ring at that price I would be afraid to wear it

Why would you be afraid to wear it? It's on your finger, it's not like it's just gonna suddenly fall of it's own accord or be ripped off your finger (unless you're in certain less desirable parts of the world where crime is crazy and criminals do actually do this in certain places - in which case you are advised not to wear any jewellery when out n about).

OP, asking people's opinions on this subject is pointless. Everybody places a different value on things. People who can afford to spend more, may tell you spend X. People who can't afford to spend more (or who don't want to) will tell you to spend Y. One person might think spending €2000 on a ring is bonkers but would happily spend €2000 on a custom bicycle. Their friend might think the total opposite. Do what YOU want to do and can afford. Be realistic about it. Don't break yourself trying to spend a certain amount.

And please, for the love of god, unless your gf has stated exactly the type of ring she wants, then don't buy it yourself. Wait and go shopping together AFTER you have proposed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Agree with all the posters who say not to buy the ring as a surprise. Taste in jewellery is very subjective and hopefully she will be wearing it for the rest of her life.

There's really no need for a token ring either. Lots of people wait until after they are engaged to shop around for a ring.

Advertisement