Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster v Biarrtiz Olympique - RDS 27/04/13, 14:30 SS1 (Print your tickets!!)

Options
  • 22-04-2013 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭

Right, the most coveted prize in World Rugby, the Amlin Challenge Cup, enters its penultimate stage this weekend as Stade Francais and Perpignan do battle on Friday night and Leinster take on Biarritz on Saturday afternoon.

Possibly the most consistent Heineken Cup performers never to have won the big prize, Biarritz's star has waned in recent years as they have struggled to compete with the big-spending nouveau riche of the Top 14. Their ninth-place finish last season won't be improved upon this season, so Biarritz find themselves needing a win in the Amlin to qualify for a spot at the top table next season... and that's just what they did last year, out-pointing Toulon in a very forgettable Amlin final in London.

560_Biarritz_2012_rdax_558x344.jpg

So with nothing else to play for this season, there is no question that Biarritz will be coming to Dublin to put up a fight.

But Leinster are no slouches when it comes to knock-out rugby and will be looking to end the season with European silverware, even if it's not the trophy they'd have been hoping for at the start of the season.

h151.jpg
    Drico's last chance at European silverware?

The injury curse that hung over the squad at the start of the season finally seems to have lifted with only Eoin Reddan and Luke Fitzgerald definitely ruled out of contention. The sparkling performance of Jonathan Sexton against Zebre will have presented Joe Schmidt with a selection dilemma at out-half, but the smart money will be on Sexton being given the nod to steer the ship and stake his claim for the Lions jersey while he's at it. With Sexton restored, Leinster will look to play the same high-tempo game that brought them to the pinnacle of European rugby.

Will it work against Biarritz? The Basque team have always had a reputation for perhaps having less flair or style than some of their compatriot teams, relying heavily on their star-men of Imanol Harinordoquy and Dmitri Yachvili to pull the strings; but a four-try, 41-point haul at Kingsholm in the quarter-final came as a surprise to many people. In Teddy Thomas and Zee Ngwenya, they have genuine pace out wide while Benoit Baby brings a creative presence to midfield. Harinordoquy's presence in the back-row has been augmented by the power of Raphael Lakafia while blind-side flanker Wenceslas Lauret makes a timely return from injury. Ian Balshaw's season is over after injury but Marcelo Bosch is an able deputy at full-back.

The bookies make Leinster odds-on favourites not just for this match but to win the tournament outright. Home advantage will be critical but there is a real 'end of an era' feel to Leinster right now; the departures of key players in Jonathan Sexon and Isa Nacewa as well as the likely promotion of Joe Schmidt will rob Leinster of three of the main pillars of their recent success and the clock is ticking on some of their stalwarts like Brian O'Driscoll, Leo Cullen and Gordon D'Arcy. Emotions will be running high in the camp and if they can focus and channel them properly, they will be too good for Biarritz.

Forecast: Leinster to win.

Who would you pick at out-half? 90 votes

Jonny Sexton
    0%
    Ian Madigan
    64%
    SerbianSoundWavecpHipporrpcprospecttolosencDave_The_Sheepfrankie2shoesongariteRiskymoveWeleaseWoderickZzippyLeeroyJonesirishbucsfanGrimeboxsydthebeatLEINmolloyjhNU8 58 votes
    Madigan is too good to leave out and should be accommodated at 12 or 15
    35%
    dreginThetaPinguadrian522stephen_nNiall06yosser hughesduckysaucemaddnessarodabombCIARAN_BOYLEDunder MifflinMadworlddanthefanNesieShaving.ieurajokestalkerno2KERSPLAT!Beery Eyed 32 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

the most coveted prize in World Rugby, the Amlin Challenge Cup

Best bit of the entire preview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Ian Madigan
    Since .ak is about to merge the threads...it's Sexton for me. No-brainer IMO. It's like Carter & Cruden, Dan the Man wins every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Chips.

The injury curse that hung over the squad at the start of the season finally seems to have lifted with only Eoin Reddan definitely ruled out of contention.

.. and Fitz. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

.ak wrote: »
    Chips.

So Madigan is the daddy? Ta mé an-confused :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Sextons obviously the best option to start but I'd love to see how Madigan would respond to getting the nod ahead of him in a big game. He's showed a maturity to his game in recent weeks to go with his usual flair.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Ian Madigan
    It has to be Sexton ahead of Madigan at 10. I can't think of a single reason not to have Sexton.

P_1 wrote: »
    So Madigan is the daddy? Ta mé an-confused :confused:

Chips is just better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Chips.
    .. and Fitz. :(

Fitz and chips:D

I'll also have some chips maybe with a bit of salt and vinegar on top.

Against Biarritz I think we need to play a structured game. We all saw what they did to Gloucester in the sun when Gloucester played an unstructured game.

As much as I love Madigan's beautiful brand of organised chaos I think Sexton should get the nod for this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Irlandczyk

shuffol wrote: »
    Sextons obviously the best option to start but I'd love to see how Madigan would respond to getting the nod ahead of him in a big game. He's showed a maturity to his game in recent weeks to go with his usual flair.

I selected Madigan in the poll just for this reason. I think he's a huge talent and it would be very interesting to see him start in this game... Realistically though, Sexton will be starting, and apart form the interest factor of seeing Mads start, there's very little you could argue against a Sexton start!

Daddy or chips aside what 23 do we think is best? For me I'd have to go with

1 - Healy
    2 - Strauss
    3 - Ross
    4 - Cullen
    5 - Toner
    6 - O'Brien
    7 - Ryan
    8 - Heaslip
    9 - Boss
    10 - Sexton
    11 - Nacewa
    12 - D'Arcy
    13 - His Holiness
    14 - McFadden
    15 - Kearney

16 - Cronin
    17 - McGrath
    18 - Hagan
    19 - Roux
    20 - Jennings
    21 - Cooney
    22 - Madigan
    23 - Kearney Óg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Madigan is going to start at least one knock-out game I would think. He'll get opportunities, but there is silverware on the line and Sexton is the better player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Ian Madigan
    Be nice to see Madigan start the Rabo semi since he's been one of the leagues best players this year across all 12 teams, but Sexton for this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Ian Madigan
    1. Healy
    2. Strauss
    3. Ross
    4. Cullen
    5. Toner
    6. McLaughlin
    7. SOB
    8. Heaslip
    9. Boss
    10. Sexton
    11. Nacewa
    12. Darcy
    13. BOD
    14. McFadden
    15. Kearney
    16. Cronin
    17. McGrath
    18. Hagan
    19. Roux
    20. Jennings
    21. Cooney
    22. Madigan
    23. Kearney OR Conway

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ian Madigan
    Do people think D Kearney will be back this week? I doubt it myself. I reckon we won't see him until at least the Ospreys game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Ian Madigan
    1. Healy
    2. Strauss
    3. Ross
    4. Cullen
    5. Toner
    6. McLaughlin
    7. SOB
    8. Heaslip
    9. Boss
    10. Sexton
    11. Nacewa
    12. Darcy
    13. BOD
    14. McFadden
    15. Kearney
    16. Cronin
    17. McGrath
    18. Hagan
    19. Roux
    20. Jennings
    21. Cooney
    22. Madigan
    23. Kearney OR Conway

Yeah, can't see it deviating much from that, assuming D'Arcy is fit. From what Joe has been saying, Dave Kearney is unlikely to be fit so Conway and Carr will be fighting it out, Conway always seems to get the nod for the bench though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Ian Madigan
    molloyjh wrote: »
    Do people think D Kearney will be back this week? I doubt it myself. I reckon we won't see him until at least the Ospreys game.

It's 3 weeks minimum for a concussion, isn't it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

tolosenc wrote: »
    It's 3 weeks minimum for a concussion, isn't it?

Nah, they've replaced that with neurological tests.

Would still be incredibly surprised to see DK though, I'd say Ospreys at the earliest.

Yeah, that was some concussion, hardly a slight knock to the head or anything. I hope he's rested for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ian Madigan
    Here's an interesting statistic, Madigan has zero try assists for Leinster in 2013 in 11 appearances. Sexton has 3 in his 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Nesie

Buer wrote: »
    Here's an interesting statistic, Madigan has zero try assists for Leinster in 2013 in 11 appearances. Sexton has 3 in his 4.

What's the try v try ratio?.

That is interesting, because he was leading the try assist stat before the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ian Madigan
    Nesie wrote: »
    What's the try v try ratio?.

4 tries for Madigan, 1 for Sexton. 8 vs 3 for the season. It was more indicative of how they link with those around them than their scoring. With Madigan, he tends to have a cut himself. Sexton looks to have a go but always looking for the pass to put someone through then.

Ian Madigan

Did he not give the pass for D'Arcy against Wasps?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Ian Madigan
    Did he not give the pass for D'Arcy against Wasps?

That was Ferg, although you could say Madigan's looping line was what opened the defence.. hard to use stats like that in rugby, you could make a scintillating 80m break that creates a try and not be credited with anything if it goes through more than 1 set of hands

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ian Madigan
    If Biarritz, and all the French teams in the Amlin, don't win the comp they don't get into the HEC next season. Montpellier are in 6th in the Top 14 7 points ahead of Perpignan with only one game left to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Ian Madigan
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    If Biarritz, and all the French teams in the Amlin, don't win the comp they don't get into the HEC next season. Montpellier are in 6th in the Top 14 7 points ahead of Perpignan with only one game left to play.

Perpignan and Biarritz can still get in if Leinster win the Amlin. Unlikely, but possible (Leinster and Munster win = Biarritz and Connacht into the Heineken, Leinster and Clermont/Toulon win = Perpignan and Connacht into the Heineken)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Not realised how much is at stake for Biarritz re euro qualification. .

• Advertisement

Ian Madigan
    Eh, it looks like Biarritz have named their team for Saturday, according to l'Equipe anyway. Getting it out of the way early...

L'Equipe have named the following 'probable' Biarritz team:
    Bosch - Ngwenya, Baby, Traille , Brew, Barraque, Yachvili - Lakafia, , Harinordoquy (cap.), Dubarry - Taele, E.Lund - Broster, Heguy, Synaeghel

Midi Olympique reckon that Dane Haylett-Petty will play ahead of Baby who is carrying an injury.

Can't claim I know anything about that front row to be honest, but it's a strong team otherwise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement