Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry - a Q&A thread for the newbie!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

macnab wrote: »
    Sorry, in me sick bed at the moment....forgot the link (the snooker is good though)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055919698

exactly what i was looking for. thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

any solo non-freaks out there interested in forming a grupetto for this gig, i'll be on my maiden, and most of my usuals are going for a hammerfest.
    not interested in setting off at the crack of dawn though,and i like my spuds!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

any solo non-freaks out there interested in forming a grupetto for this gig, i'll be on my maiden, and most of my usuals are going for a hammerfest.
    not interested in setting off at the crack of dawn though,and i like my spuds!

2 of us, will probably head off sometime after 7 and would aim 25kmph for the first half anyway, might slow down a bit later on if the legs arent up to it!

For anyone interested, I got a ROK jersey last night in Fitz Cycles in Stillorgan. Pretty snazzy, get them before they are gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I plan on doing the ROK on my hybrid (Trek 7.2). I have had it for about 5 years now and have put a few thousand kms on it. The tyres are still the original 700x35 Bontragers and the still look fine and believe it or not I have never had a puncture over these 5 years with them. I was wondering however if a new set of tyres would make the ROK cycle easier and if so anyone able to recommend a new tyre that would work well for the ROK?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    All of the charities involved usually campaign for you to choose their particular cause. In the past I have given all of my monies to one charity. When the funds were rec'd by me a got a cheque drawn up and posted it to the charity in question and got receipt for the same.
    mel.b wrote: »
    So if using mycharity.ie and wanting to raise money for one speific charity should you do it under the ring of kerry 'banner' or the charity you want. Reason i ask is i set up my mycharity page last night amd when i tried to do it for the speific charity and then put in the date of the event, the ring of kerry didn't come up (although it did give you the option of adding an event i think). So i ended up making the general page for the ring of kerry.

Did you guys figure out how to donate to your prefered charity? I just set up mycharity.ie account but it looks like it is all going in one pot. I would like to donate to one specific charity rather than mixing it up between all 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

stevieob wrote: »
    Did you guys figure out how to donate to your prefered charity? I just set up mycharity.ie account but it looks like it is all going in one pot. I would like to donate to one specific charity rather than mixing it up between all 7.

Not online thorough mycharityy.ie, no. However i have seen flyers for enable ireland and the cf charity where you can contact them, so i presume they have their own fundraising cards you can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

6 weeks or so to go.. so just BUMPING this thread for those coming in late to the topic!!!

Some good Q&A's in here on this thread...so am tryiny to keep it active for a few weeks to keep the advice going!!

Just done Kenmare to Molls Gap. For those interested ... my bike-buddies advise me that it is 6 Miles of climb!! To be honest... it was not THAT bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Masala (or anyone else). Have you done corkscrew hill in Burren? Just wondering how it compares. I know corkscrew hill is shorter but it is the steepest hill i have made it up so far, so looking for a comparison to find out how bad Molls gap is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Meb. B......no haven't tried the Burren yet. In fact ...I am a complete newbie to climbing and usually avoid them if i can!!

I am copying over a link posted on another thread....lput your curser over the graph at teh bottom and see the 'severity' of the Ring climbs

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/966567

Credit to the original submitter... I am just passing on the knowledge!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Bonniexx

Heya guys, Im a first timer to the ROK but did waterville - Coomikishta- Sneem and back this evening it was a piece of cake.....for all ye other first timers out there :D

The most important thing to know is that the buttered brack at the food stops are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 D shelly

Hi
    Doing the ROK cycle for the first time just wondering whats the best time to start at and also as im doing it by myself just wondering is there any one out there who would let me tag along with them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bonniexx

EEEKKK got a bit of nervous excitement going on in the lead up to saturday. Anyone got an idea where would be a good place to park, i presume kilarney will be mobbed. Were staying in the gleneagle that night but i presume traffic will be mental out there with very littleparking

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Bonniexx wrote: »
    EEEKKK got a bit of nervous excitement going on in the lead up to saturday. Anyone got an idea where would be a good place to park, i presume kilarney will be mobbed. Were staying in the gleneagle that night but i presume traffic will be mental out there with very littleparking

You should have no problem parking in the glen as they cater for many guests and have ample car park spaces..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

mel.b wrote: »
    Masala (or anyone else). Have you done corkscrew hill in Burren? Just wondering how it compares. I know corkscrew hill is shorter but it is the steepest hill i have made it up so far, so looking for a comparison to find out how bad Molls gap is.

I've done them both and they are challenging in different ways, the corkscrew is a shorter climb and has steeper sections, especially the hairpin bends which really ramp up and this year on the 110 Km TdB it was moved to later on in the course making it slightly tougher but still very manageable.
    Molls gap on the other hand is longer and more of a drag type climb, nothing steep but a relentless gradient, and because it comes late on in the RoK most people have a plentiful supply of lactic acid in their legs as they leave Kenmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fintydingdong

Is there shower facilities somewhere for afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

*Bump*

Thinking of doing parts of this route later this month. I've never been to the ring of Kerry. Generally I tend stick to small country roads and local roads when cycling. Usually try to avoid national or regional roads because I hate having to be too mindful of other road users when all I want to do is take in some nice scenery. Anyone any info or advice on how heavy the traffic is and what the safety is like in terms of car speeds along the route etc?

Advertisement