Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry - a Q&A thread for the newbie!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Some nice videos on You Tube from past participants... just type in Ring of Kerry Cycle and take your pick.

My latest 'tips' since starting this thread are:

1. Attach another Water Bottle and Cage... surprised that I am clearing a 500ml bottle on a 25-35km spin!
    2. put a plastic/latex glove in Saddle Bag in case of chain trouble. Nothing worse that needing to wipe chain oil off your skin!
    3. A zip Lock bag for storing your phone in case it starts raining!

That's it for now.

(PS....must give full Credit to SEAMUS in previous page for these worthwhile tips and I have now learned the hard way the value of same! .....)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Postit

michael196 wrote: »
    avoid the food stops as they can be over crowded and head for the next village or service station instead. ( Sneem is a great place to stop !! instead of the school in caherciveen) head into a pub there for quick lunch.

I was wondering about this. I don't fancy queuing up at all really. Seems like a waste of time and I reckon I'll start to seize-up a bit, making the next few km's more difficult than they have to be!

I was thinking about starting at 6am to avoid this. Would I miss the crowds on the roads and the food stops if I started at that time, averaging about 26km/h?

Failing that, are there other recommendations for food stops with little or no queues?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Postit wrote: »
    I was wondering about this. I don't fancy queuing up at all really. Seems like a waste of time and I reckon I'll start to seize-up a bit, making the next few km's more difficult than they have to be!

I was thinking about starting at 6am to avoid this. Would I miss the crowds on the roads and the food stops if I started at that time, averaging about 26km/h?

Failing that, are there other recommendations for food stops with little or no queues?

Even starting at 6am you will still find a lot of cyclists heading out of Killarney though at that pace you would certainly reach the food stop in Caherciveen before the queues begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Got the sponser card and bike number yesterday.

Got the sposer card and bike number yesterday.

Same here. QUESTION: is the 'Card' total collected divided among the 7 or so Charities equally??? Just that I have been approached by a friend heavily involved in one of the charities and have been asked to cycle for his charity. I am happy to do so as it is a cause close to my heart,,, but the Card does not give you the option to say 'put all my sponsorship monies to X charity'.

Any one else in this dilemma?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Masala wrote: »
    Same here. QUESTION: is the 'Card' total collected divided among the 7 or so Charities equally??? Just that I have been approached by a friend heavily involved in one of the charities and have been asked to cycle for his charity. I am happy to do so as it is a cause close to my heart,,, but the Card does not give you the option to say 'put all my sponsorship monies to X charity'.

Any one else in this dilemma?

All of the charities involved usually campaign for you to choose their particular cause. In the past I have given all of my monies to one charity. When the funds were rec'd by me a got a cheque drawn up and posted it to the charity in question and got receipt for the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

So if using mycharity.ie and wanting to raise money for one speific charity should you do it under the ring of kerry 'banner' or the charity you want. Reason i ask is i set up my mycharity page last night amd when i tried to do it for the speific charity and then put in the date of the event, the ring of kerry didn't come up (although it did give you the option of adding an event i think). So i ended up making the general page for the ring of kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AskyourmA

Delighted to have found this thread... I too am a newbie to the ROK and I am signed up and have received the sponsor card etc... Working full time and having only Sat & Sun to squeeze family, golf and a training spin in, I'm finding using my turbo trainer for 45 min sessions 3 times a week a big help with a good spin at the weekend... Just completed my longest distance on Sunday gone (85km solo spin).
    I'm finding the training and spins are taking their toll on me (very tired), a friend has recommended whey protein, anyone any tips and advice on extra supplements to take for training and on snacks to use take on long spins???
    I'm from the Drogheda area and would love to hear from others in the same boat as myself and doing the ROK, maybe get in a few training spins...
    Anyone have a calender of events happening before the ROK, wouldn't mind doing a couple of 100km spins to get used to the large groups...
    My tip would be, have you booked your accommodation yet, if not book it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

AskyourmA wrote: »
    Delighted to have found this thread... I too am a newbie to the ROK and I am signed up and have received the sponsor card etc... Working full time and having only Sat & Sun to squeeze family, golf and a training spin in, I'm finding using my turbo trainer for 45 min sessions 3 times a week a big help with a good spin at the weekend... Just completed my longest distance on Sunday gone (85km solo spin).
    I'm finding the training and spins are taking their toll on me (very tired), a friend has recommended whey protein, anyone any tips and advice on extra supplements to take for training and on snacks to use take on long spins???
    I'm from the Drogheda area and would love to hear from others in the same boat as myself and doing the ROK, maybe get in a few training spins...
    Anyone have a calender of events happening before the ROK, wouldn't mind doing a couple of 100km spins to get used to the large groups...
    My tip would be, have you booked your accommodation yet, if not book it...
    Why dont you join Drogheda wheelers check out there thread on here or their facebook page.
    I am also from the Drogheda area, if you want to get in touch re a few spins midweek or weekends just Pm me.
    A few of the guys are doing a couple of sportives ie Orwell randonee, Mount leinster, and the Tour of Louth you can find all the details on the cycling forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

can any one recommend some decent reasonable accomodation? Will be looking to stay Fri and Sat night. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Andalucia wrote: »
    can any one recommend some decent reasonable accomodation? Will be looking to stay Fri and Sat night. thanks

booked into the Killarney Plaza - seems quite nice - they better let me keep my bike iun the room cause I aint locking it to a railings to find it vamoosed the next morning!

it worked out about 360 for the 2 nights with dinner on one night, so not to bad between two of ya. there aint much cheaper out there that I could find

There should be plenty of good B&B's and Guest houses around Killarney (even up to 4-5 miles out!)

Sure - most visitors will be coming by car... so just load up in morning, park in one of the many car parks in the town (Parking is charged to 6pm- at approx €1 per hr) and start your cycle!!

I would expect the prices and quality of the accommodation in BB's and Guesthouses are top-drawer and rates would be slightly cheaper out of town.

Did you try:

1. www.gulliverireland.com (Booking engine in which most Killarney accom is registered on)
    2. http://www.killarney.ie/tourism.
    3.http://www.discoverireland.ie/Places-To-Go/Killarney-Ring-of-Kerry

Would recommend Gulliver above as it has an excellent reputation in Kerry (being part of the Fexco group in Killorglin)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭sled driver

Just booked a double room in The Towers hotel, Killarney for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday (6, 7 and 8 July) for €215 (€36 per person per night) - breakfast not included though. Still for peak tourist season in Killarney, that'll do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

cann someone tell me do you have to pick from one of these charities. I want to donate my funds to Temple Street Children hospital due to personal reasons but dont know if this is allowed??

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bal1000

stevieob wrote: »

booked into the Killarney Plaza - seems quite nice - they better let me keep my bike iun the room cause I aint locking it to a railings to find it vamoosed the next morning!

it worked out about 360 for the 2 nights with dinner on one night, so not to bad between two of ya. there aint much cheaper out there that I could find
    We stay in the plaza every year we do the ROK and find it very good.We park in the underground carpark and i leave my bike in the car.Room for another one if your stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

Can't wait for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/insurance.php
    Is insurance a requirement for entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/insurance.php
    Is insurance a requirement for entry.
    Typically yes, but the ROK site isn't very clear. If you're not a cycling ireland member already, you usually pay a small surcharge of €5 or €10 to cover you for the day.
    This cost both covers your injuries in the event of an accident but also covers any third party damages you might cause by crashing.

Anyone got one of the Jerseys yet?

what are tyhey like?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dmire

stevieob wrote: »
    Anyone got one of the Jerseys yet?

what are tyhey like?

I was also just wondering about the jerseys, anybody bought one? How are they for size?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Bonniexx

Hey everyone,
    Im so glad i found this thread as i certainly am a newbie to the ROK. Ihavent cycled in about 15 years and i have recently started training for the ROK as i wish to support a charity close to my heart. I bought anew bike a racer with straight handle bars and took it for its first spin at the weekend (25 miles) I found the hills so tough and im afraid that i wont make it around the ring? Should i be able to do more mileage at this stage? Also would i be shunned for walking up hills on the day if i cant manage them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

dmire wrote: »
    I was also just wondering about the jerseys, anybody bought one? How are they for size?

If you join the radio ring of kerry facebook group it has the sizing chart on there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Bonniexx wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    Im so glad i found this thread as i certainly am a newbie to the ROK. Ihavent cycled in about 15 years and i have recently started training for the ROK as i wish to support a charity close to my heart. I bought anew bike a racer with straight handle bars and took it for its first spin at the weekend (25 miles) I found the hills so tough and im afraid that i wont make it around the ring? Should i be able to do more mileage at this stage? Also would i be shunned for walking up hills on the day if i cant manage them?

The hills on the Ring of Kerry aren't overly difficult. Theres 2 big ones. The issue with them relates more to their length not the actual gradients themselves. I think Molls gap is the longest at somewhere around 10km. They are more or less long drags and there water stops at the top of both.

As for the milage as mentioned before on the thread if your able to do 100km before the event in reasonable comfort you should be ok providing you pace yourself on the day. The surface is by and large very good which makes both issues easier. Also the amount of people and stops makes it alot easier and more fun compared to cycling on your own.

can anyone tell me what gradient(roughly) the two big climbs are in this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

3%

On the subject of cycling in Groups ..... do many people cycle it alone???

I have arranged to go with a set of 'mates' but they seems to be all gung-ho about it and 'we'll set out around 6.30am' and 'we won't bother with the stop in Caherciveen as it will slow us down' !!!!!

That's not what I want I told them and I am thinking of letting them go and setting off at my own pace. I am not in a hurry and want to pace myself and enjoy the day!!!

Am I odd or what???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

ccull123 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me what gradient(roughly) the two big climbs are in this?

Lumen has a good illustration in post #4

Masala wrote: »
    On the subject of cycling in Groups ..... do many people cycle it alone???

I have arranged to go with a set of 'mates' but they seems to be all gung-ho about it and 'we'll set out around 6.30am' and 'we won't bother with the stop in Caherciveen as it will slow us down' !!!!!

That's not what I want I told them and I am thinking of letting them go and setting off at my own pace. I am not in a hurry and want to pace myself and enjoy the day!!!

Am I odd or what???

odd that you dont want to go gung-hoo and kill yourself by the first food stop which you aren't even allowed to stop at.... eh i dont think so.

ive never been, but from what ive read, you will find plenty of others to cycle along with so let them off and at least that way you can enjoy it at a pace that suits you.

we are going to go early ourselves, maybe about 7ish and will aim for about 25kmph average speed if you fancied tagging along with us. we will be taking both the stops and any others that might be required

macnab wrote: »
    Lumen has a good illustration in post #4

do u have a link? cant seem to find it:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

ccull123 wrote: »
    do u have a link? cant seem to find it:confused:

Sorry, in me sick bed at the moment....forgot the link (the snooker is good though)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055919698

Advertisement