Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland's steepest hill

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

bcmf wrote: »
    Coming from Ardcath (away from Garristown in direction of Navan if ya know what I mean) take the 2nd Right Hand turn (1st leads to the bottom of the far side of snowtown,the hill that was mentioned by op).Then take the 1st Right Hand turn that road will lead you to the hill I am on aboutand onto the racecourse.
    The hill at the pub on the corner is fairly steep as well.V short but v Steep.
    Suppose when you think about it the racecourse is fairly high up so Hills everywhere.

So it's the hill the leads directly onto the racecourse ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Zorba wrote: »
    So it's the hill the leads directly onto the racecourse ?

Yeah.
    In reverse.......Racecourse on your RIGHT HAND side both pubs on your left hand side go straight to the bottom then turn around.

1 NOTE OF CAUTION:There seems to be a large amount of big motherf***er trucks that use that hill must be a qaurry or or something very close by.Going down watch for patches of mud and of passing trucks.Some will slow down others dont give a toss

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There is a very steep hill on Inis Meáin between Baile an Mhuir and Baile an Lisin, so steep that you must lean forward when walking up it at the risk of falling backwards, never mind cycle.

Yeah.
    In reverse.......Racecourse on your RIGHT HAND side both pubs on your left hand side go straight to the bottom then turn around.

1 NOTE OF CAUTION:There seems to be a large amount of big motherf***er trucks that use that hill must be a qaurry or or something very close by.Going down watch for patches of mud and of passing trucks.Some will slow down others dont give a toss

Ah yeah that's the Carns hill or something it's called, at the top of that if u take a left there's another good hill but that's where the quarry is hence all them dirty trucks. When u get to the racecourse, it's on your left pubs on your right take a left at the crossroads and go down the hill then turn around, that bastard makes the carns hill seem easy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I am beginning to think thatmaybe I got me numbers ie alt wrong cause it seems a bit too steep for a 5%!!!!! Zorba you been up it? Do ya think its a 5%?

I am beginning to think thatmaybe I got me numbers ie alt wrong cause it seems a bit too steep for a 5%!!!!! Zorba you been up it? Do ya think its a 5%?

It's more than 10 % for sure, i'm no expert but it's at least 10 %

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There is a street in the Waterside area of Derry City which must be in the top 10. I don't know it's name and I don't cycle but in a car it's 1st gear with the foot to the floor to maintain a steady fairly slow pace!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

OK, well I was down in Cork this weekend and so I gave St Patrick's Hill a go on my fixie, 46-17 gearing. It was damn tough, took until the second attempt to get up in one go without unclipping.

The marked bit on the attached elevation chart is from MacCurtain Street (start of the one-way section) up to the top. Average gradient was 14%, max 28.7%.

st_pats_elevation.pngbowery_st_pats.jpg

Was it more difficult than Alpe d'Huez? In a way, yes, unquestionably. It is surprisingly short and would have been easier with gears though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

blorg wrote: »
    OK, well I was down in Cork this weekend and so I gave St Patrick's Hill a go on my fixie, 46-17 gearing. It was damn tough, took until the second attempt to get up in one go without unclipping.

Was it more difficult than Alpe d'Huez? In a way, yes, unquestionably. It is surprisingly short and would have been easier with gears though.

I am sure the spiritual power of the 'Lance ball(s)' helped you ...

• Advertisement

I am sure the spiritual power of the 'Lance ball(s)' helped you ...
    It did indeed, note I had the correct number of Lance ball this time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Dolani

Just came across this thread on the high hills thingy. 17th Oct, I took a spin out of Tralee towards Dingle. Took the Annascaul road at Camp and took next left. Was using a map and this showed a road running to Aughlis over Caherconree. I should have paid attention to the colours on the map. I felt it was mush harder than Slieve Maan in the W200. It just got steeper and steeper!! redface.gif A great descent and a nice run into Castlemaine before the spin back along the side-road off the N70 over the shoulder of Slieve Mish Mountains back to Tralee. Great to get out of Leinster from time to time.biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Doc Savage

heres a climb for you..Rostrevor ,County Down..
    http://www.epicmtb.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=386&c=newimages

Doc Savage wrote: »
    heres a climb for you..Rostrevor ,County Down..
    http://www.epicmtb.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=386&c=newimages
    I think I see some walking in that photo :( ?

heres one i took earlier .. the people walking were on single ring freeride machines..
    http://epicmtb.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=385&c=2

Ha OK. Was this recent? Looks very icy.

• Advertisement

last weekend the 30th November Sunday..and that was the middle bit..we had to ride up the tarmac from Kilbroney lower car park, up to the top car park, then up that beast then up a savage singletrack climb to the top of the Mountain above Rostrevor..savage, absolutely savage..
    but for pure savagery on the road, did anybody mention the road up from Glenmalure where the Shay Elliot goes up...or go from Bray Dart station to the top of Kippure, not the steepest Climb, but certainly a savage one..
    or the short savage one up from Kennedys shop in Stepaside..
    Or killiney from the Dart station or Howth from any direction...
    if you are a mountainbiker you'll just find them !!

Have managed all of those ones, including up from Stepaside that way on the fixie (that was tough) :D Kippure has a pretty steep bit to start and worse at the end- but so far for me St Patrick's Hill would have to be the worst I reckon (including worse than "emty & membrane's triple challenge hill".)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭paddy's hill

paddy's hill for sure. There is also a 20% on Loughcrew in Meath, not where the ras crossed this year (Patrickstown) but about mile west of there. It is 600m long and at 150m to go it is savage. Also Drungoff in wicklow 2.9km at 8.5%. But if you compare any climb in Ireland to Alps or Pyrenees they are very easy. How about Mount Washington in New Hampshire, USA, 12km at 12% average, now that has to sting a bit.

Clink link for HD.
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=m_2BJIwbDqc&eurl=http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055398859&page=5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I live at the top of the Cobh "hill" I don't think it's quite as steep as Patricks hill but it does go on a lot longer with more twists to bother you. That said, I love it, unless I'm on my way home from 200+ km as was happening during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭riparooo

Was in Connemara at the weekend and spotted a road to a hill (297 metres) on a detailed map at the hotel.

So off I went. The road turns off the N59 just west of letterfrack and for the first five kilometres its brings you up about 100 metres in elevation.

The last kilometre is incredible. Its steep steep steep. From my data it read that the last 950 metres rose from 111 metres to 297 metres.

The descent was impossible as it was raining and any time i breaked I just skidded. So I was forced to walk down by foot.

Its a road to service a TV mast and its in pretty poor condition but the views are incredible and it was a lot of fun.

Anyone else know where I am talking about, below is a link to the area, the road is marked as ending before the hill on this but it doesn't it rises up to the peak at the right of Lough Auna

http://goo.gl/maps/TKBj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

187 metres climb in 950 metres is about 5.25-1 or 22% if my maths is correct. Thats a nice hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭piston

There is a street in the Waterside area of Derry City which must be in the top 10. I don't know it's name and I don't cycle but in a car it's 1st gear with the foot to the floor to maintain a steady fairly slow pace!

Moore Street, leading off Spencer Road most probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

the devils elbow near johnny foxes, now that is steep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I was in Westport, Co Mayo earlier in the year. There is a hill called Tober Hill (near Quay Street) that impressed me (I drove up it.) On bikeroutetoaster is is 270 metres long, and that is up the hill and down again, but bikeroutetoaster gives 1m ascent.
    Can anyone on here map it on something like bikeroutetoaster and get a gradient?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

kincsem wrote: »
    I was in Westport, Co Mayo earlier in the year. There is a hill called Tober Hill (near Quay Street) that impressed me (I drove up it.) On bikeroutetoaster is is 270 metres long, and that is up the hill and down again, but bikeroutetoaster gives 1m ascent.
    Can anyone on here map it on something like bikeroutetoaster and get a gradient?

I think I know where you mean, I've only ever come down it though :D

There are a couple of access points to the Westport Cycle Track that really don't look right on a family type cycle route. No idea of gradient but they're bloody awful, although quite short.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Nine Stones to the mast of Mt. Leinster.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

There's a hill outside Buncrana on the back road to Clonmanny, I don't have the figures, but its the toughest I ever attempted! Nigel in Cavan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

How about the access road to the transmitters on Minaun, on Achill Island?
    The average gradient is c. 11% with ~320m ascent in 2.95km from the T-junction at its end . This includes a few hundred metres of descent as well, and some fairly flat bits.

There is on section on it just uphill from the little overtake/pass spot 1km up, where I could not manage to continue climbing directly up on my ReignX1, estimation from my gps suggests a steepest section of greater than 1 in 5 or 20% for about 100m, with local spots of over 25%.
    Took me about 45 min to climb the 3km on the all-mountain rig, but just under 3 min to descend the lot. 83kphmax on the bike computer, 60kph average.

Here's the vid of the way down - apologies for the crappy camera with cmos sensor on handlebar mount. The steepest section is just before the two vans are parked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Wow, great video, I was bricking it in case someone opened the van door! Nigel in Cavan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

That one up to Slieve League in Donegal. Never encountered a worse one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Popoutman wrote: »
    Here's the vid of the way down - apologies for the crappy camera with cmos sensor on handlebar mount. The steepest section is just before the two vans are parked.

Stunning scenery - must have been a lovely spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

That Minaun descent is just falling off a hill. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

On for the top ten list is the climb up to barley lake which put manners on me a few years back. 14.5% average for 1.6k, but with a number of much steeper bits.

One that I haven't tried, but will do next time I've hybrid out in Wicklow, is the back road to Shay Elliot, which according to the OS maps is cul de sac leading onto a fire road that takes you out at the top by the memorial. IMO, would need MTB, cross bike, or anything with tyres that could take a coilte track. Anyone tried this?

211777.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

smacl wrote: »
    On for the top ten list is the climb up to barley lake which put manners on me a few years back. 14.5% average for 1.6k, but with a number of much steeper bits.

One that I haven't tried, but will do next time I've hybrid out in Wicklow, is the back road to Shay Elliot, which according to the OS maps is cul de sac leading onto a fire road that takes you out at the top by the memorial. IMO, would need MTB, cross bike, or anything with tyres that could take a coilte track. Anyone tried this?

211777.jpg

That looks awesome. Next time I'm out on the mtb I'll try that one. Just wondering if the 22 ring at the front will get any use on it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I know that road - just down from Glenmalure Lodge - really steep right from the start!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

kincsem wrote: »
    That Minaun descent is just falling off a hill. :pac:

May be one way of looking at it, but at least I cycled up it to go down it :P
    (and I have the very slow GPS log to prove it..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The Horse Show Road up to Truskmore in Sligo is preety steep, and long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Glengariff Forest climb in Co. Cork. 1.8km @13.3%.

Mullaghanish RTE mast, Ballyvorney Co Cork
    3.3km at 11%, which is after a 2.5km climb at 7% just to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

Like captain havoc said, the climb from the nine stones to the mast at mt leinster must be up there, it's a real b!tch:

2.6km @ 13.4% average grade

3 or 4 sections that kick above 20%

http://app.strava.com/segments/700788

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 MickeyTake

What about Maum hill beside Croagh Patrick near Westport? How does that compare to some of the hills mentioned here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I`m no cycling expert, but i recently came across a monstrous hill near castleisland in Kerry.

It`s between crag cave and the n21 in a townland called glounsharoon.

Google says its category one and used in An Ras sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭g0g

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    I`m no cycling expert, but i recently came across a monstrous hill near castleisland in Kerry.

It`s between crag cave and the n21 in a townland called glounsharoon.

Google says its category one and used in An Ras sometimes

Cat 4 on Strava

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

The maum is also a good climb in castleisland.
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/118868

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

Not sure if someone mentioned it already but there was a hill on a race in Carlow years ago when I was racing junior I think it was called The Butts! Fairly serious hill by my recollection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Not sure if someone mentioned it already but there was a hill on a race in Carlow years ago when I was racing junior I think it was called The Butts! Fairly serious hill by my recollection.

Would that be the Des Hanlon Memorial race?

The hills there are not that bad on their own but the pace you have to go over them to stay with the pack is just mental. And there are a good few of them one after another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

That minaun thing in achill broke me at the weekend. Didn't help that I had a lunch of wine and crab meat in advance.

I also got a blow out on the way down, didn't think it would be possible to get one in Ireland. Of the hills mentioned on the thread here i've done cruagh and kippure loads and neither of them are anywhere near as steep as minaun. I do remember getting wheel spin on something out near powerscourt before though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

a148pro wrote: »
    That minaun thing in achill broke me at the weekend. Didn't help that I had a lunch of wine and crab meat in advance.

I also got a blow out on the way down, didn't think it would be possible to get one in Ireland. Of the hills mentioned on the thread here i've done cruagh and kippure loads and neither of them are anywhere near as steep as minaun. I do remember getting wheel spin on something out near powerscourt before though.

Yeah there's some great climbs in Achill. The one from the village over to Keel beach is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 G200

I'd say it might be this fella, Short Mountain from the south side, Castlemaine, Kerry:

http://app.strava.com/segments/652088

North side is no slouch either:

http://app.strava.com/segments/2321580

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Yeah there's some great climbs in Achill. The one from the village over to Keel beach is excellent.

Also a killer - it's keem beach I think, keel is the beach beside that village. Tough climb rewarded by views of what must be one of the most beautiful beaches in europe.

But for the purposes of this thread, nowhere near as bad a climb as minaun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

a148pro wrote: »
    Also a killer - it's keem beach I think, keel is the beach beside that village. Tough climb rewarded by views of what must be one of the most beautiful beaches in europe.

But for the purposes of this thread, nowhere near as bad a climb as minaun!

Ah yeah you're right, the one to Keem is the one I was thinking of, not Keel. Brilliant place to ride a bike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement