Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Continuum [Showcase - CA] *Spoilers!*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,562 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

very good!, never spotted the CSM and Krycek connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

MOH wrote: »
    Just caught up with this week. I'm liking the way some things are obvious, while others are even more obvious until it turns out they're actually not.

Was completely expecting Alec's girlfriend to be a Liberate plant to fake her kidnapping and force him to testify in favour of his brother, right up until she kicked the crap out of that guy. And the hostage rescue seemed a bit too easy, especially given they asked the office mole for help (although I've forgotten which faction she's working for), but then it was supposed to be.

It's getting a little bit messy though. There's more angles being thrown in every week. We've got about six factions on the go now - two Liberate splinters, Escher, Gardiner, Kellog, and Kiera herself, plus whatever future Alec is up to.
    Oh and crazy future guy too with the time travel schematics.

I really hope there's an overall plan that will tie everything together, but it's nearly getting as convoluted as Lost already.

Still, third season renewal is cause for hope.
    agreed. I'd like to see some angles tied together or made slightly more clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Just caught up with this week. I'm liking the way some things are obvious, while others are even more obvious until it turns out they're actually not.

Was completely expecting Alec's girlfriend to be a Liberate plant to fake her kidnapping and force him to testify in favour of his brother, right up until she kicked the crap out of that guy. And the hostage rescue seemed a bit too easy, especially given they asked the office mole for help (although I've forgotten which faction she's working for), but then it was supposed to be.

It's getting a little bit messy though. There's more angles being thrown in every week. We've got about six factions on the go now - two Liberate splinters, Escher, Gardiner, Kellog, and Kiera herself, plus whatever future Alec is up to.
    Oh and crazy future guy too with the time travel schematics.

I really hope there's an overall plan that will tie everything together, but it's nearly getting as convoluted as Lost already.

Still, third season renewal is cause for hope.

yeah i was sure alecs girlfriend was working with leber8, also that guy who came looking for alec was probably there to protect him id say, hes probably working for that group of people who alecs dad was on about, and obviously escher knows know about some of the time travelers, but he isnt one himself, alec girlfriend seemed very interested in that syringe thing he had with him, like its something new that they can use,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Anyone else think the parallel way they showed the theseus trial in both past and future and the fact that he seemed surprised to not be found guilty in the future is the first evidence in the show that the changes made in the past are effecting the future ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Gotta say this is improving week on week really enjoying it.

Love how theyare intermingling the future messages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,562 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

very surprised they killed off Krycek/Gardner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

I know and so sudden. Was really starting to warm to his character

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I had a funny feeling as soon as he said he was going back to the lawyers on his own that it was curtains for him.

Bit weird seeing Garza of all people as not entirely bad, she's been a psycho from day 1. She oddly looks older in the present that in the future.

So Gardner out, but the freelancers do exist, so it's no tidier than it was. Plus surely someone else from Gardner's CSIS is going to end up involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

A pity they got rid of Krycek, he was one of the better actors on the show. I would rather they had got rid of Carlos. Really not sure what to make of Future Alec's actions - sending loads of liberate members back in time but only instructing one of them to kill past Alec. Not sure it makes sense.

• Advertisement

A pity they got rid of Krycek, he was one of the better actors on the show. I would rather they had got rid of Carlos. Really not sure what to make of Future Alec's actions - sending loads of liberate members back in time but only instructing one of them to kill past Alec. Not sure it makes sense.

I took it more that he trusted her judgement of people to make the decision whether young Alec needed to be killed, or if he'd voluntarily choose a different course when confronted with his future actions.

If he'd told the others, e.g. Curtis, they'd probably just blow young Alec away without asking questions.

I had a funny feeling as soon as he said he was going back to the lawyers on his own that it was curtains for him.

Bit weird seeing Garza of all people as not entirely bad, she's been a psycho from day 1. She oddly looks older in the present that in the future.

So Gardner out, but the freelancers do exist, so it's no tidier than it was. Plus surely someone else from Gardner's CSIS is going to end up involved.

She is older in the 'present' than the 'future'.

She is older in the 'present' than the 'future'.

Doh! Yes she is, I meant she oddly looks younger in the present than the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Doh! Yes she is, I meant she oddly looks younger in the present than the future.

Maybe it is present her, but she then went into the future, before the original future her went back. Mind == blown, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I did notice that too. She looked oddly younger in present day than the future.

Was there an episode on last night. It looks like there should have been but I didn't see it had downloaded this morning

• Advertisement

Nope, not back until July 7th

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

After a break returned for a fesh episode last night....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

are we to believe Kiera is so stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Great stuff. Again, we're faced with the dilemma of who we should be rooting for.
    I was really torn when Keira was going to shoot Julian, and then that final scene shows us why it's right that she didn't.

And Carlos's line half way through the episode - "The victor writes the history" was brilliantly apt.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Loving the moral grey areas this show is throwing our way:
    Kiera showed her loyalty to her future when she clearly believed in the way her government treated people. She didn't see anything wrong with it because people needed to pull their weight in her opinion. Not exactly a loveable quality.

Meanwhile the terrorists kill thousands sure but then aren't they dead already and slaves? Is it better or worse for them to die now?

Also the corporation driven future begins:
    Escher funding the police force to, we assume, some ends of his own.

One plot thread that seems to be dangling:
    Betty's new loyalties to Liber8. We've heard nothing more of this. This week would have given her the perfect opportunity to let Liber8 members know of Julian's location and hide the evidence from her fellow police officers but she didn't take it.

• Advertisement

I thought initially that betty was helping them as she was texting someone suspiciously after informing the Captain she had located Julian. Lots of grey areas but strange that kiera would consciously destroy any chance of returning to her future by killing Julian.

I thought initially that betty was helping them as she was texting someone suspiciously after informing the Captain she had located Julian.

I took it that way too. Plus she seemed really uncomfortable whenever Carlos tried to talk to her.

Wtf was going with future Theseus and his beard? Made his whole face look like some kind of weird mask.

Is there such a thing as a show of being too character driven? I think a good sci-fi show gets the right balance between a good story and a beliveable setting. The plot is going around in circles a bit, there needs to be progression, a bit more action for me to start really enjoying the show again.

so after near enough 2 seasons, kiera has made absolutely no impact on the timeline whatsoever, alec is still building technology that will eventually enslave us all (as far as i can remember that was the symbol for alecs company on the chips), and julian is still fighting against his brother,

must say that is a very scary thought if it ever actually happened, that they could just implant a chip and have you work like a zombie, we do it already but at least we get to go home afterwards:o,

agreed though that it does seem to be going round in circles, they really need to alter something in the timeline to show that some impact is being made to change the future for either the better or worse,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I really liked the moral ambiguity in this episode. It looks very much like Kiera threatening Julian is what turned him in Thesius, who she thinks is a monster, but arguably his actions are justifiable if not outright good.

It still looks to me like they are going to show that the changes she makes to the timeline are what built the future she knows, rather than changing it to something else.

I agree with others too, they need to move the main arc along a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Have we seen anything that has changed as a result of them travelling back in time? Has anyone died that was alive in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Have we seen anything that has changed as a result of them travelling back in time? Has anyone died that was alive in the future?

Kellogs grandmother was killed by Travis in the first season and he didn't blink out of existence which may suggest that any changes made simply see new parallel realities created rather then altering the one their in/from.

Kellogs grandmother was killed by Travis in the first season and he didn't blink out of existence which may suggest that any changes made simply see new parallel realities created rather then altering the one their in/from.
    but was it kellogs grandmother:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,309 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's kind of confusing. Most of the time it seems to imply that this is predestined time travel where Kiera helped shape the time she's from. But then we also know at least one thing that changed: The bus route killer. She investigated him in her time as an unsolved case yet it has now been solved in 2013 so that won't happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Latest episode was a lot better. I'd felt a lot of this season was getting very convoluted and veering too far from the original premise of 'good guy' who is defending what we'd find hard to defend versus 'bad guy' who has aims we understand despite their methodology. I hated the decision to kill off Kagame and find the fractures in what's left of Liber8 since his death to be boring and pointless. In fact the worst thing about this episode was the scene where Lucas tried to betray Sonia and then appeared to have lost his mind. That was bizarre and not an avenue I'm interested in exploring further. If we are to have more of Lucas I'd much rather see more about why he gave up his good job as an engineer and his comfortable middle class life in order to join Liberate.

I also find it really hard to believe that Keira would try to change the future without even considering that it might remove Sam from existence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

Anyone else think that the suited guys that grabbed Garza are a kind of time police? They seem to be collecting people from the future, so it would be another angle to have a faction that is trying to stop the timeline being interfered with.

Sarn wrote: »
    Anyone else think that the suited guys that grabbed Garza are a kind of time police? They seem to be collecting people from the future, so it would be another angle to have a faction that is trying to stop the timeline being interfered with.

Yeah, I'm starting to get a timecop vibe off the "freelancers".

I'm a bit worried, it's starting to get a bit silly.

Didn't Gardner say he was going back to check on that place they'd already visited, where they already knew the guy was lying? And then he vanishes for weeks, and Kiera is just "meh".

I'm not buying new Dillon. I know he'd be peeved at his suspension and happy to take any way back in, but they seem to have completely rewritten his character, it doesn't really fit with his previous personality.

Thank God Lucas is (hopefully) out of it. He was a terrible madman. He kept reminding me of Hermes in Futurama, when he was being controlled by a brain slug. I was hoping there was going to be an alternative explanation - especially given the future scene between Travis and the first Liber8 guy he was hallucinating, which now makes no sense.

That Travis/Sonya thing was awful. Nearly as cliched as the scene with Escher "the architect" at the end.

Other pieces of the device? I thought Kiera had the only one that was left? Or maybe I just misremembered that.

Still, two episodes left. Hope it ties thing up a bit and sets up a solid season 3. SyFy viewing figures seem copmparable to season 1, can't find Showcase CA figures atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Officially renewed for a 3rd season.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=107275

Surprised that there is no chatter about episode 12 (last Sunday's). Really good episode - I think judging by the name of the finale's episode (and the ending of Episode 12),
    Alec is going to go back to save Emily

Mr E wrote: »
    Officially renewed for a 3rd season.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=107275

Surprised that there is no chatter about episode 12 (last Sunday's). Really good episode - I think judging by the name of the finale's episode (and the ending of Episode 12),
    this was renewed back in june by showcase in canada who actually make the show, i dont understand all the announcements on some sites saying syfy have renewed it,

http://www.shawmedia.ca/Media/PressReleaseDetail.aspx?pressReleaseId=6442453145

hard to tell what they do, but that could be accurate, they really need to do something that will definitively change something in the timeline, im pretty sure old alec is completely delighted with his life and all his achievements and doesnt want to change a thing, but it was his interactions with kiera as young alec that made him who he is,

So am I right in thinking tonight's episode is supposedly decided by the viewers? That's a big step considering other shows that had the viewers decide the outcome were more standalone stories like Hawaii Five 0 and Psych. This seems to decide the direction the fight will go. So unless they have some reset button ready to go for season 3, it's a pretty big decision.

And by the news that SyFy have renewed it, my understanding is just that SyFy have decided to continue airing it.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So am I right in thinking tonight's episode is supposedly decided by the viewers? That's a big step considering other shows that had the viewers decide the outcome were more standalone stories like Hawaii Five 0 and Psych. This seems to decide the direction the fight will go. So unless they have some reset button ready to go for season 3, it's a pretty big decision.
    well it would be better to have the fans decide at this point cause the writers have now been running in circles for 2 seasons, noting has visibly changed yet in the timeline, i dunno is their to scared to move ahead with changing the timeline cause it will unquestionably leave them open to get ripped apart by the fans when x doesn't equal y 70 years apart, cause they have seemed very reluctant to change anything so far, kiera found that bus stop killer, but julian still becomes thesius, and alec still makes that inhibitor chip thats turns people into zombies,

ive already stated that i believe old alec sent kiera back in time to ensure that he comes to exist exactly as he is in the future, cause he likes who he is, and doesnt want to change a thing,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Yeah, I'm starting to get a timecop vibe off the "freelancers".
    Mr E wrote: »

AHH! Some of you guys are annoyingly right. Although I think MOH's "prediction" was probably pretty obvious.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    So am I right in thinking tonight's episode is supposedly decided by the viewers?

I think that was just to save the writers the hassle of having to think about what to do with Betty. :rolleyes:

Anyway, good episode. I liked the "flash forwards", throughout the show and the tidying up of the Jason story.

As for the ending - well, I definitely didn't see the Carlos thing coming;
    but everybody else all locked up in those pretty little boxes
    this was a pretty good season ender.
    Roll on season 3.

BTW, does anyone know why IMDB is showing a 14th episode that was supposed to air last night? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1954347/episodes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Getting rave reviews from the fans...being hailed as some of the finest sci-fi in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The whole season had peaks and troughs, but the finale was excellent. Some great revelations and 3 cliffhangers.

• Advertisement

That was very enjoyable. Everything up in the air for next year.

So the season ended
    the way it began with Kiera imprisoned in the box. At the start she wakes up in the future as if from a nightmare, blaming it on a glitch in her CMR. Is this a bleed from the other timeline, or did older Alec transfer a stored memory of her imprisonment from the past into her CMR? Possibly with a way to get out.

Looking forward to next season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Loved the Finale, really enjoying this show, one of the best on at the minute in my opinion, its doesnt stick to the usual playbook scifi shows keep rolling out.. glad to see its renewed as well.

definitely the best scifi show of the last few years in terms of concept but I'm becoming a bit impatient for them to reveal what sort of time travel theory they are using in this show. Future Alec still seems not to have any memories of Kiera from his past.

Regarding the nightmare Kiera was having I thought that was just a side effect of them removing her memory of the time travel device and her investigation of the related murder in the future.

Travis in his golden brown suit looked pretty hilarious- glad he changed the colour scheme to black.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

definitely the best scifi show of the last few years in terms of concept but I'm becoming a bit impatient for them to reveal what sort of time travel theory they are using in this show. Future Alec still seems not to have any memories of Kiera from his past.

Regarding the nightmare Kiera was having I thought that was just a side effect of them removing her memory of the time travel device and her investigation of the related murder in the future.

Travis in his golden brown suit looked pretty hilarious- glad he changed the colour scheme to black.

At the very end one of the freelancers asked about Sadler. Another said "He's no longer our concern, in this timeline". So, they are going with the alternate timelines time travel. Things can be changed but they happen in a new timeline and don't affect the other timelines and no grandfather paradox. This does raise the question though, what would have happened if Kiera use the time travel device to back to her time. Does she go back to the original timeline, does she go to a new timeline that splits from the first timeline at the exact moment she gets there (the outcome will be no different) or does she go to a new timeline based on the events of the timeline she is currently in. E.g. If she shot Alex in the head before going forward in time does she go back to the original timeline where everything was exactly as she left it and Alex is alive and has no idea who she is because he never met her or will it be a continuation of the events that took place where everything is different and Alex is dead. I imagine it would be the latter. Probably doesn't matter anyway because if they are sensible they would try and ditch time travel as it gets very messy the more it's used and can cause a great TV show to turn into a convoluted mess very easily.

So the season ended
    the way it began with Kiera imprisoned in the box. At the start she wakes up in the future as if from a nightmare, blaming it on a glitch in her CMR. Is this a bleed from the other timeline, or did older Alec transfer a stored memory of her imprisonment from the past into her CMR? Possibly with a way to get out.

This was looking back to an earlier episode when we saw that old Alec put a message into her CMR for young Alec. Young Alec got the message in the present, but IIRC he only revealed a small part of it so far.

It was revisited in this episode to expand on it slightly showing that Kiera's husband was somehow involved with Sadtech and with the time travel plot.

He does seem to have some recollection of her in that he used her to send a message to his past self. We also saw in this episode that when the new cult was mentioned, he recognised them as the freelancers from his past.

stevenmu wrote: »
    This was looking back to an earlier episode when we saw that old Alec put a message into her CMR for young Alec. Young Alec got the message in the present, but IIRC he only revealed a small part of it so far.

I know that. But in the first episode she 'dreamt' while in the future that she was imprisoned in the box and then woke up. This would imply that a lot more than a basic message was included in her CMR from old Alec. It also suggests that a lot of what has happened to date in our present has been experienced by old Alec.

• Advertisement

I know that. But in the first episode she 'dreamt' while in the future that she was imprisoned in the box and then woke up. This would imply that a lot more than a basic message was included in her CMR from old Alec. It also suggests that a lot of what has happened to date in our present has been experienced by old Alec.

Oh, I hadn't copped that. I might have to rewatch the season now having seen the end to see what other bits I've missed.

old alec like i siad wants events to play out exactly as they did before, he sent jason back cause he knew jason was in his past as was kiera, cause they obviously played a large part on who he becomes, but he has never said that to anyone before, he recognized kiera the second he saw her in the first episode, he says he wants to change the timeline he could do that by doing noting at all and destroying the time device,

At this point I think it looks like the freelancers, including Escher, came back in time for some reason, Escher fathered Alec, Alec then later sent Liber8 and Kiera back in time to his own past, which created the timeline that Kiera knew and wants to get back to. The freelancers possibly originally come from a point further in the future than Kiera's home time.

stevenmu wrote: »
    At this point I think it looks like the freelancers, including Escher, came back in time for some reason, Escher fathered Alec, Alec then later sent Liber8 and Kiera back in time to his own past, which created the timeline that Kiera knew and wants to get back to. The freelancers possibly originally come from a point further in the future than Kiera's home time.
    Wouldn't they have to have come from various times in the future, considering Alec's son is older (at least it would seem) in physical age than his own father?

Wouldn't they have to have come from various times in the future, considering Alec's son is older (at least it would seem) in physical age than his own father?

That's due to his proximity to the device. He was thrown further back in time so when we met Jason, he had arrived a number of years before Kiera. Same as how Kiera's partner was so old when they met up. She was further away from the device.

At the moment we now have 3 timelines, at least. The original that Kiera travelled from, the one currently being created by Kiera's presence in the present and now the one with Alec supposedly in the past.

Do you think the writers haven't decided on the type of travel yet or do you think they're just keeping us guessing with how they had Alec telling Kiera about what happens if 2 of her exists in the same time? Something we'll now see occur with Alec

• Advertisement
Advertisement