Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the annual Good Friday thread?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

It's only 7th April and good Friday this year is 18th April?

Today is "Bankholiday minus 9 work days" in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

All steak is beef, but not all beef is steak.

Tuna steak...

shotsfired

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I blame the bankers.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I get the day off because it's a privilage day in my cushy public service job!

\o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Can't wait for good Friday!

Have the day off and me and my son are going to rip up the town and have a mad one!!!!

Except for the hours of 12:00 - 1:30 as he will be having his nap then and gets cranky if he doesn't sleep. Two year olds, just can't hack the pace :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

4 Day weekend hell yeahhhhhhhhhhh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Good Friday does wonders for the off licenses in fairness. I say keep it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Do ya know the secret knock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

Christ the mass schedule over Easter is hectic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Bong . . . bong . . . bong . . .

You can't beat a nice Angelus

I note, with some disdain, that your version (and god help us in this day and age when individuals think it's all about themselves and try to mangle tradition to fit into their own deleteriously unimaginative dreams of themselves) has only 12 bongs.

You, sir, are a heathen.

The number of bongs is 18. 3 sets of 3 bongs, followed by a rapture of 9 bongs.

So it goes:

Bong........Bong.........Bong

And then BongBongBongBongBongBongBongBongBong.

Now, I'm all for re-mixes, but your 12 bong version sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Martina82

I find extremely depressing to see people lining up to buy drink on Holy Thursday.

You can't beat a nice Angelus

Or a decent Bong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

catallus wrote: »
    I note, with some disdain, that your version (and god help us in this day and age when individuals think it's all about themselves and try to mangle tradition to fit into their own deleteriously unimaginative dreams of themselves) has only 12 bongs.

You, sir, are a heathen.

The number of bongs is 18. 3 sets of 3 bongs, followed by a rapture of 9 bongs.

So it goes:

And then BongBongBongBongBongBongBongBongBong.

Now, I'm all for re-mixes, but your 12 bong version sucks.

Excellent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

I like to sit sipping a coffee in Temple Bar and watch all the bewildered tourists wandering around from pub to pub wondering what in the name of Thor is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

This year we've organised a massive Pagan orgy in the woods, it'll be way more flippin' craic than the pub.

An orgy? In the woods? In April? You're a nutter. Having rotten branches and moss in one's ass-crack does not sound like "flippin' craic" to me. But I never did understand pagans.

Martina82 wrote: »
    I find extremely depressing to see people lining up to buy drink on Holy Thursday.

I know.

We should really spread it out over Holy Wednesday and maybe even Holy Tuesday too.

Lighten the load a bit like.

Every year we say we'll do that but we never do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I could never figure out which was was more pathetic.

The fact that the fcuking church still dictates what goes on in this country or people not being able to survive one day without alcohol.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I could never figure out which was was more pathetic.

The fact that the fcuking church still dictates what goes on in this country or people not being able to survive one day without alcohol.

Thats easy.

It's the churchy bit.

• Advertisement

It's for the good of the people that they observe at least one day of abstention from the buying of alcohol. Such wilful blindness to the majesty of religious diktat is abominable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Martina82 wrote: »

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

catallus wrote: »
    It's for the good of the people that they observe at least one day of abstention from the buying of alcohol. Such wilful blindness to the majesty of religious diktat is abominable.

I agree but people should be able to choose what day to abstain, not have it imposed by a nanny state law

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Chill bro, we heard you the first 4 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm glad I live somewhere where religious nonsense does not dictate how I spend my day.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jester77 wrote: »
    I'm glad I live somewhere where religious nonsense does not dictate how I spend my day.

Ditto. Bank holiday and pubs open, best of both worlds. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

jester77 wrote: »

If you live in Hamburg then the shops don't open on a Sunday do they? Might have something to do with laws passed for religious purposes. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If you live in Hamburg then the shops don't open on a Sunday do they? Might have something to do with laws passed for religious purposes. ;)

Shops closed on Sunday has nothing to do with religion. It is a federal law that recognises Sunday as a day of rest so that families get to spend 1 day of the week together. Lots of shops are opened anyway, so it is not a very strict law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

cson wrote: »
    [A] "Can ye not stay off it for one day of the year"

"The State is supposed to be secular; its absolute bullshít this is still a rule"

[C] "Sure just stock up on cans and have a house party"

[D] "Atari Shaguar"

Every reply to this thread will invariably be a derivative of one of the above.

Except this post; which is all of the above. :pac:

Jinx.

You missed out on the whole athiest angle there OP. Usually good for 3 pages of back and forth
    I get the day off because it's a privilage day in my cushy public service job!

\o/

Marty Mc Fly, come back to the future, priviledge days were done away with 3 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Plazaman wrote: »
    You missed out on the whole athiest angle there OP. Usually good for 3 pages of back and forth

Marty Mc Fly, come back to the future, priviledge days were done away with 3 years ago.

Well whatever they're called, it's an extra day off!

Advertisement