Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the annual Good Friday thread?

Options
  • 07-04-2014 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

You know the one about whether or not it's a public holiday and whether the banks are open or not and the debate about pubs being closed and the panic buying of drink in the supermarkets on "Holy" Thursday...

Where is the 2014 edition? I can't find it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

logically wrote: »
    You know the one about whether or not it's a public holiday and whether the banks are open or not and the debate about pubs being closed and the panic buying of drink in the supermarkets on "Holy" Thursday...

Don't forget that if you are a traveller you are entitled to a drink so buy a ticket to Galway and sit in Huestons bar if you are really stuck.

Or on the other hand lets start a campaign to change it's name to "Lets all go to the cinema day!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Here it is:
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057184690/1/#post89819681

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Don't forget that if you are a traveller you are entitled to a drink so buy a ticket to Galway and sit in Huestons bar if you are really stuck.
    Christ, it really is one law for them and another for the rest of us, isn't it?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

so is anyone buying a poppy in november?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Them teachers have it easy don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

I get the day off work so long may this fine tradition continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

Which town?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭cson

[A] "Can ye not stay off it for one day of the year"

"The State is supposed to be secular; its absolute bullshít this is still a rule"

[C] "Sure just stock up on cans and have a house party"

[D] "Atari Shaguar"

Every reply to this thread will invariably be a derivative of one of the above.

Except this post; which is all of the above. :pac:

Jinx.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

cson wrote: »

"The State is supposed to be secular; its absolute bullshít this is still a rule"

[D] "Atari Shaguar"
    /thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭cson

Although, part of me thinks there'd be feck all about it if it was Good Monday or Good Tuesday. Just because its a Friday and the weekend and all that brings...

Damn Jesus anyway for having the temerity to die on a Friday. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

[D] "Atari Shaguar"

Every reply to this thread will invariably be a derivative of one of the above.

Jinx.

Something something #YOLO .

Jesus would have been a LAD.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Bong . . . bong . . . bong . . .

You can't beat a nice Angelus

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Christ, it really is one law for them and another for the rest of us, isn't it?

:pac:

It's part of their kulchur:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

So is fish really meat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Most importantly the ethical issue of whether to eat the customary boiled beef for the Friday dinner or be religious and have the modern delight that is Lidl fishfingers....

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

iDave wrote: »
    So is fish really meat?

Sure there's enough trouble trying to decide what a fish is

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/27/when_the_catholic_church_decided_beavers_were_fish_partner/

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

You're all right there Ted. It's a fair bit away yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Sure there's drink on sale in the RDS for the Leinster match that day!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

iDave wrote: »
    So is fish really meat?

All steak is beef, but not all beef is steak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Every reply to this thread will invariably be a derivative of one of the above.

Jinx.

And this one, which consists of me saying that I don't usually drink on Fridays anyway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

So pubs are not allowed to open (or is it just they cannot serve alcohol)? And yet it is not a national holiday that everybody gets off?

Seems a little inconsistent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Always good to see posters who say they never visit pubs because the price of gargle is too expensive bemoan the fact that they cannot visit one on a Good Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

[D] "Atari Shaguar"

Do we need a poll ?

I vote for B

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Massive session on that day. Good man Jesus

Usually head across the border but that tradition has died off over the last few years. Don't think I'll bother if there's gonna be no craic.

I have a drink about once a month so went for the atmosphere more than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm amazed that Good Friday licensing law still exists. It does seem a bit ridiculous in this day and age. We usually drink a fair bit that day to try to get some sleep as the neighbours either side of us seem to lose the run of themselves and panic at the thought of not getting into a bar that night, so they have house parties. Fcuking hate house parties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Or on the other hand lets start a campaign to change it's name to "Lets all go to the cinema day!"

Boards.ie are waiting for the "Would you wear an Easter Lily" thread and will release both on Super Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Why, in films, when a sword is drawn from a scabbard is a metallic 'schring' sound made?

The majority of scabbards are made of materials like leather not metal as it would dull the blade.

Mods, feel free to move this to trivial questions inside halfwits heads thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

It's only 7th April and good Friday this year is 18th April?

Advertisement