Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blade Runner becomes Blade Gunner **Mod Warning Read OP""

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

sopretty wrote: »
    He said that she may have used the light on her phone (but he didn't see it). Honestly though, it doesn't make sense. Why would she not turn on a light?

Can I just say, that I believe the lights were on, the shouting was her screaming and running away from him, and him screaming at her, and that he shot her out of fury. Nothing else makes sense.

I never turn the light on when going to the toilet at night. Not when I lived alone or with others.

If I put the light on I'd be squinting trying to get used to it, and it would wake me up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

mauzo! wrote: »
    I never turn the light on when going to the toilet at night. Not when I lived alone or with others.

If I put the light on I'd be squinting trying to get used to it, and it would wake me up a bit.

Slightly off topic but do you wash your hands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is all this blubbering from him genuine or is it a tactic ...looking for sympathy playing the victim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

fryup wrote: »
    is all this blubbering from him genuine or is it a tactic ...looking for sympathy playing the victim

Nel basically says that all the emotional and breaking down is when he is giving false information.

When OP was describing the events after he shot Reeva and started breaking the door down, he didn't break down at all. Nel pointed out that's the difference between when he is lying and telling the truth, everything he did after killing her is probably true, the events leading up to her death are lies according to the state's case.

I think he is guilty anyways, based on what I have seen and heard so far.

Was shocked at the defences last witness though, he did them no favours whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

mauzo! wrote: »

But according to him, she was awake, on her iphone still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

He said that she may have used the light on her phone (but he didn't see it). Honestly though, it doesn't make sense. Why would she not turn on a light?

Can I just say, that I believe the lights were on, the shouting was her screaming and running away from him, and him screaming at her, and that he shot her out of fury. Nothing else makes sense.

Something eveyone is overlooking is that Reeva's phone was found in the bedroom, not the bathroom. I pointed out in an earlier post that I found it bizarre that OP's own evidence at one point was that he couldn't lift Reeva initially, saw her phone, ran back to the bedroom with it, and then got his own phone.

An awful lot of OP's cock and bull story hangs on her having the phone in the bathroom (using the phone light to find the bathroom, why didn't she ring for help if we were arguing....). .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Hello_MrFox

So is the general view here that he is guilty?

Well I think so anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

As guilty as OJ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I think so, on all charges.

A better question might be does anyone believe he isn't guilty?

( As distinct from believing he won't be found guilty)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭1867IE

Ok so there are holes and questions to be answered in relation to the cases for both the defence and prosecution.

But earlier in the week I though this was a great stunt by Barry Roux.

Oscar had done his 6-7 days of cross examination. Said he and Reeva had a loving relationship. Nel said he was lying. Oscar said they got on really well shared great times etc etc. Nel was having none of it.

Big debate about the inside out jeans. Nel said she was in a rush taking them off. Said she and Oscar had a fight, she never leaves clothes like that etc etc

Then, in a quick 45seconds or so:

Barry Roux: Mr Pistorious can you tell me what you see in this picture?
    OP: Reeva's jeans m'lady.
    Barry Roux: and what do you observe about then?
    OP: they're not inside out m'lady. They're outside out.

And Mr Pistorious, can you read to me what is written in this card, the one Reeva had left to to open on Valentines Day?
    OP: roses are red violets are blue, today is a great day to tell you I love you.

BOOM.
    Roux injects that tiny element of doubt into the 6-7 days that Nel spent cross examining him.

1867IE wrote: »
    Ok so there are holes and questions to be answered in relation to the cases for both the defence and prosecution.

But earlier in the week I though this was a great stunt by Barry Roux.

Oscar had done his 6-7 days of cross examination. Said he and Reeva had a loving relationship. Nel said he was lying. Oscar said they got on really well shared great times etc etc. Nel was having none of it.

Big debate about the inside out jeans. Nel said she was in a rush taking them off. Said she and Oscar had a fight, she never leaves clothes like that etc etc

Then, in a quick 45seconds or so:

Barry Roux: Mr Pistorious can you tell me what you see in this picture?
    OP: Reeva's jeans m'lady.
    Barry Roux: and what do you observe about then?
    OP: they're not inside out m'lady. They're outside out.

And Mr Pistorious, can you read to me what is written in this card, the one Reeva had left to to open on Valentines Day?
    OP: roses are red violets are blue, today is a great day to tell you I love you.

BOOM.
    Roux injects that tiny element of doubt into the 6-7 days that Nel spent cross examining him.

Big deal. The way I look at it Nel had him up for days on end dealing mostly successfully with hundreds of points . Roux could come back and spend as long as he wanted righting any wrongs. What did he do? Spend nine lousy minutes going back over a minor point and reading a card that really proved very little. What's written on a Valentine card is hardly indicative of the true state of a relationship .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

desbrook wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but do you wash your hands?

Yep, I do it every night at around 2am. I'm usually up on my phone, get up and go to the toilet with no lights on!

Don't find it strange at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Big deal. The way I look at it Nel had him up for days on end dealing mostly successfully with hundreds of points . Roux could come back and spend as long as he wanted righting any wrongs. What did he do? Spend nine lousy minutes going back over a minor point and reading a card that really proved very little. What's written on a Valentine card is hardly indicative of the true state of a relationship .

No more than is a text yet a lot of posters here are willing to pronounce him guilty based of Reeva's "I'm afraid of you" text.

Why should the card above be any less of an indication than that?

• Advertisement

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-27114859

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/oscar-pistorius-trial-athletes-family-denies-he-took-acting-lessons-before-taking-stand-9273625.html

Though these might be of interest.....apparently some factions of the press think Pistorius took acting lessons before he took the stand.

Not sure if I'd believe it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

No more than is a text yet a lot of posters here are willing to pronounce him guilty based of Reeva's "I'm afraid of you" text.

Cheesy lovey dovey nonsense is par for the course on a valentine card.
    "I'm afraid of you" on a text is hardly normal, especially when followed by a dead body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

"I'm afraid of you" on a text is hardly normal, especially when followed by a dead body.

:)

Surely not if Reeva was as afraid of Pistorius as people seem to want to believe she was.

But this is exactly my point, texts, cards, emails etc are notoriously difficult to read in terms of the intent behind them.

You just can't convict some-one based on what are really just words on a screen/piece of paper.

She may well have been scared of him. Or she could have sent the text in a fit of anger or upset after and argument then regretted it the next day.

She may just have been being sappy or she may genuinely been in love with him and chosen Valentines Day to tell him.

It's simply to hard to be certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-27114859

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/oscar-pistorius-trial-athletes-family-denies-he-took-acting-lessons-before-taking-stand-9273625.html

Though these might be of interest.....apparently some factions of the press think Pistorius took acting lessons before he took the stand.

Not sure if I'd believe it tbh.

There's an opinion piece by one of the Lawyers who represented Zimmerman, it's an interesting read http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/23/opinion/omara-pistorius-acting/index.html?hpt=hp_t5

• Advertisement

Surely not if Reeva was as afraid of Pistorius as people seem to want to believe she was.

But this is exactly my point, texts, cards, emails etc are notoriously difficult to read in terms of the intent behind them.

You just can't convict some-one based on what are really just words on a screen/piece of paper.

She may well have been scared of him. Or she could have sent the text in a fit of anger or upset after and argument then regretted it the next day.

She may just have been being sappy or she may genuinely been in love with him and chosen Valentines Day to tell him.

Audrey, he shot her through a door. Four times. Nobody is convicting him solely based on a text. He killed her and his excuse for doing so is laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

yes but then he shot her in the head with black tallon bullets that make things explode

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I think so, on all charges.

Illegal possession of ammunition - guilty *
    Discharging firearms in public - restaurant - guilty
    Discharging firearms in public - car - 50/50 **
    Culpable homicide - guilty
    Pre-meditated murder - not guilty

* I don't recall then being able to prove the ammo was his and not the fathers, so he is guilty due to not understanding the law about who could hold the ammo.
    ** Could go either way depending on the mood of the judge. Not really anything to suggest the incident actually happened other than from ex-girlfriend, so not enough really to prove guilt. Surprised they didn't come up with something about the separate stop by the police where he left the gun unattended though, could have been another minor charge from that to add to the list.

He'll get 15 years for the ammo and the culpable homicide.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Tigger wrote: »
    yes but then he shot her in the head with black tallon bullets that make things explode

The brand of bullets and what they do are irrelevant as far as determining his guilt for pre-meditated murder, they are just the type that was already loaded in the gun. The fact that he picked up a gun rather than turning on a light or shouting directly to Reeva is relevant information.

By going on about the type of bullet and what they do to melons/ zombies is bringing emotion into the judgement. The only important bit about the gun is that it was a gun and was loaded. Guns are designed to kill, if they kill by exploding then that really doesn't matter for this charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

robinph wrote: »
    The brand of bullets and what they do are irrelevant as far as determining his guilt for pre-meditated murder, they are just the type that was already loaded in the gun. The fact that he picked up a gun rather than turning on a light or shouting directly to Reeva is relevant information.

By going on about the type of bullet and what they do to melons/ zombies is bringing emotion into the judgement. The only important bit about the gun is that it was a gun and was loaded. Guns are designed to kill, if they kill by exploding then that really doesn't matter for this charge.

no: guns are designed to shoot bullets
    some bullets are designed to stop to hit targets or to maim
    black tallons are designed to kill

What you write on a Valentine is more aspirational than factual. It's hardly "warts and all " is it?

Tigger wrote: »
    no: guns are designed to shoot bullets
    some bullets are designed to stop to hit targets or to maim
    black tallons are designed to kill

Agreed. Premediation is one thing (25 years) but in order to get a "plain " murder conviction they need to prove that a "reasonable person " in his position knew he was likely to kill the person he shot. The prosecution have demonstrated OP had vast gun knowledge therefore if he knowingly fired the gun at all especially loaded with those bullets he must have known it was likely he would kill.
    This is the reason OP has abandoned his "I thought I was shooting a burglar" defence. It wouldn't save him from the murder charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Can anyone tell me why he addresses the men as m'Lady? Is it because the judge is a lady?

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why he addresses the men as m'Lady? Is it because the judge is a lady?

Yes, it seems that everyone is addressing the judge at all times. I'd get fierce confused lol and say 'yes sir' or something. Hard to keep saying m'lady when you're being questioned by two men!

Agreed. Premediation is one thing (25 years) but in order to get a "plain " murder conviction they need to prove that a "reasonable person " in his position knew he was likely to kill the person he shot. The prosecution have demonstrated OP had vast gun knowledge if he knowingly fired the gun at all especially loaded with those bullets he must have known it was likely he would kill.
    This is the reason OP has abandoned his "I thought I was shooting a burglar" defence. It wouldn't save him from the murder charge.

Forgot about the variations on the murder charge they have actually.
    Murder - guilty
    Pre meditated murder - not guilty

He's not doing the courts opinion of himself any good with the rubbish about not intending to shoot at the person behind the door and the gun going off accidentally, but I guess he's just been told that there is no chance of the premeditated charge sticking so there is nothing to lose by following the deny everything Baldrick stance of defence.

• Advertisement

I actually don't think it was premeditated murder. I do believe it was murder however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Murder - guilty

He's not doing the courts opinion of himself any good with the rubbish about not intending to shoot at the person behind the door and the gun going off accidentally, but I guess he's just been told that there is no chance of the premeditated charge sticking so there is nothing to lose by following the deny everything Baldrick stance of defence.

4 very accurate and lethal shots for a man who didn't mean to pull the trigger.

gramar wrote: »
    4 very accurate and lethal shots for a man who didn't mean to pull the trigger.

He accidentally pulled the trigger 4 times out of fear ya know m'lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Gheebag

I actually don't think it was premeditated murder. I do believe it was murder however.

Miss know it all

Murder - guilty

I'm not sure where you're getting this from. There's every likelihood he'll be found guilty of premeditated murder.

I'm not sure where you're getting this from. There's every likelihood he'll be found guilty of premeditated murder.

I don't think it was premeditated. I think they had an argument and he murdered her. He hadn't planned it though in my opinion.

I don't think it was premeditated. I think they had an argument and he murdered her. He hadn't planned it though in my opinion.

He doesn't need to have planned it months in advance for it to be considered premeditated. A few moments will do. If he decided follow Reeva down the passageway and shoot her four times through the bathroom door, then he is guilty of premeditated murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

If he picked up his gun during a screaming row and followed her then shot at her four times with hollow-point bullets, he fully intended to extinguish her life.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    If he picked up his gun during a screaming row and followed her then shot at her four times with hollow-point bullets, he fully intended to extinguish her life.

Which would make it murder. Not pre-meditated murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭AlwaysAnyTime

I never understood generally why premeditated murder carries tougher sentencing than murder. It's like you are getting punished for being smart about it and putting the extra effort into planning. Whereas if some drunk idiot randomly punches me on a night out and I die, then it's very unlikely he will get a premeditated murder charge - despite the recklessness and lack of foresight involved. Why do we reward people for being reckless and stupid - shouldn't these get harsher punishment? Or is it just because it's that bit more difficult to catch premeditated murderers.

Which would make it murder. Not pre-meditated murder.

Nope! Under South African law he would be guilty of premeditated murder. He only needs to premeditate it for a few seconds.

Nope! Under South African law he would be guilty of premeditated murder. He only needs to premeditate it for a few seconds.

Where did you read that?

Where did you read that?

I can't remember. I think it was on the radio at some point.

I can't remember. I think it was on the radio at some point.

I heard different. Pre-meditated involves planning. Murder is murder without pre-meditation.

Put it this way.

A: I plan for a week, how to murder my husband.
    B: My husband pisses me off and I shoot him.
    C: I shoot my husband in self defence.
    D: I claim that I accidentally shot my husband through the bathroom door by accident and I didn't pull the trigger at all really, though it appears I fired 4 shots......... That's what they now call an Oscar Pistorius.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Pre-meditated doesn't have to mean that you planned ages in advance to kill. It can count right up to seconds before the death such as if OP picked up the gun with the aim of shooting Reeva dead. If he had only aimed to injure Reeva but but killed her instead then it would be culpable homicide.

http://www.regulatorylawsa.com/2014/04/the-difference-between-murder-and.html?m=1

But they cannot prove beyond reasonable doubt that he knew it was Reeva behind the door or that their relationship was anything other than a happy one.

There is far less proof needed for the claim that he intended to kill / seriously disable the person behind the door. Other than he is just following the deny everything stance I don't believe that he would really dispute that either. He did mean to shoot the person behind the door. That meets the murder charge.

It cannot be proven that he knew who was behind the door, so the premeditated charge just won't stick.

I heard different. Pre-meditated involves planning. Murder is murder without pre-meditation.

And he planned to follow her down the corridor. And he planned to shoot her through the door. Short term plans, maybe. But plans nonetheless.

But they cannot prove beyond reasonable doubt that he knew it was Reeva behind the door

On the contrary, they have proved exactly that. OP's version of events (whichever version you choose, because it changes) is ludicrous. All of his versions are ludicrous. The only plausible version of events is that he knew he was shooting at Reeva Steenkamp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

But they cannot prove beyond reasonable doubt that he knew it was Reeva behind the door or that their relationship was anything other than a happy one.

There is far less proof needed for the claim that he intended to kill / seriously disable the person behind the door. Other than he is just following the deny everything stance I don't believe that he would really dispute that either. He did mean to shoot the person behind the door. That meets the murder charge.

It cannot be proven that he knew who was behind the door, so the premeditated charge just won't stick.

getting sick of this rubbish from people on here that know as much as i do about the law, more to the point, south african law, which is sweet f*ck all to be honest. this line of "they cannot prove beyond reasonable doubt blah blah blah" seem to think it takes a live audience with a video recording of the murder or for Judge massaipa or whatever her name is to have been sitting on the jacks taking a dump looking at the whole thing in order to prove what happened...I think it's been proven beyond any reasonable doubt quite concisely that he murdered her, not only that I think the guy is humiliating himself at the same time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement