Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newsagent irritants

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Why did he have a laptop at a nightclub? :D

Friday night shenanigans, guy finished work and went for a beer with friends, that turned into an all nighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

OP you are very judgemental. The real Kermit the frog would be disappointed with your attitude.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sand wrote: »
    People paying for small purchases with a debit or credit card with the inherent delay. I did this once in my life at the end of a night out where the ATM in the shop was out of service. But I'm seeing people doing it more and more often these days to buy the paper or a packet of cigarettes.

Are you still using those machines that take half an hour to read a card in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

seems so menial that worry about these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

One highly annoying practice is people (usually old ladies) buying scratch cards and scratching them at the counter to see if they won anything. If the do, they immediately purchase more scratch cards with the winnings and scratch those and so on and so on while a large queue gathers behind them. Buy your cards and GTFO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Rochelle

bumper234 wrote: »
    I was once bitten on my arm which resulted in hospital visits every 2 weeks for 6 months. Guy who bit me was wearing a suit and worked for Danske bank.

Got a glass smashed into my face requiring 8 stitches. Guy who glassed me was a barrister!

I know a guy who was rugby tackled down a flight of stairs outside a nightclub resulting in him wearing a cage on his leg for over a year and him nearly losing his leg. Guy who did the damage was a Blackrock college graduate wearing a suit and carrying a laptop and working for davy brokers.

Once saw a traffic cone thrown through a windscreen by a trainee solicitor who then proceeded to headbutt the woman in the face when she confronted him about it.

Yeah it's the mirror readers you need to watch out for :rolleyes:

So you get in a lot of fights, read a tabloid, and everyone else are the knackers?

Right...

Rochelle wrote: »
    So you get in a lot of fights, read a tabloid, and everyone else are the knackers?

Right...

I worked as a doorman for 20 years and all of those incidents happened over those years, this was not just one wild weekend:rolleyes: also please show me where i called anyone a "knacker"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Why do women have handbags?

Why can't they use pockets like everyone else?

Men:

Mobile phone
    Wallet
    Keys
    Loose change.
    Cigarettes/lighter (maybe)

Women:

Purse
    Lipstick
    Cigarrettes/lighter (maybe)
    Nail file
    Nail clippers
    Hairbrush
    Make up
    Tampons/towels
    Keys
    More makeup
    another hairbrush (for different styling)
    A pair of flat shoes :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I read The Sun to see if my letter has made it to the problem page yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

mikemac1 wrote: »

Just one Cornetto
    Give it to me
    You must be joking
    They cost 50p

Back in 1990 the three tenors were household names :)

I have to stop reading threads in AH. Now this song will be stuck in my head for ages. The other day it was 'Around the Twist'!!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

Akrasia wrote: »
    Its not illegal, debit cards are not legal tender
    And it costs 35 cents every time you use your debit card, either in an ATM or at the till. (if you're with AIB the theiving bstards)

You obviously haven't read the Terms and Conditions that come with the credit card machine. It is against the t's & c's to set a minimum charge for transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

petes wrote: »
    I read The Sun to see if my letter has made it to the problem page yet!

What to do when caught in bed with your mother in law?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I read the Times and I'm far from sophisticated and cultured. :o

Indeed green_screen,...the sophisticated and cultured always..... "TAKE..... the Times"....do please keep up :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

1. I judge people on the newspaper they are buying.

Are YOU the newsagent irritant?

Where are people shopping that take debit for sales below 10 euro? I tried going cashless for a week but still needed change because everywhere except the self service at tesco required a minimum spend. Tesco was the one place that I would meet a minimum spend!

Lots of places have a 5 Euro minimum.

Mr. G wrote: »
    Some ATMs allow you to withdraw €10's...

Very few.

Ishmael wrote: »
    One highly annoying practice is people (usually old ladies) buying scratch cards and scratching them at the counter to see if they won anything. If the do, they immediately purchase more scratch cards with the winnings and scratch those and so on and so on while a large queue gathers behind them. Buy your cards and GTFO!

As someone who has worked behind a til, you'd be surprised how often they ask you for a scratcher, which upon questioning turns out to mean a euro from the till. They ask for money from the till. From the till. They ASK for money from the till. And because they're always regulars, you have to give it to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd be a regular in any shop that would just give me money from the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I loiter around the newspaper stand having a good read of all the headlines as they lay stacked in front of me looking tantalisingly like I might buy several. However really I'm just looking so I know what news sites to check out online when I get home.
    I imagine that irritates newsagents. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

That Illegal to have a minimum spend amount on a debit card report shops you see doing that. And 20c per transaction per ATM to see if you can get a €10 note yeah good luck with that.

Well retailers are charged per Debit or Credit card transaction too, something like 27c per transaction. So if, for instance, somebody wants to buy chewing gum with Laser, which I have seen numerous times, they can f**k right off, because that's the margin on the chewing gum gone. Cash is king.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

I loiter around the newspaper stand having a good read of all the headlines as they lay stacked in front of me looking tantalisingly like I might buy several. However really I'm just looking so I know what news sites to check out online when I get home.
    I imagine that irritates newsagents. :o

While queuing, I bring a copy of a newspaper or magazine with me for the ride....... Flick through the pages, then pop it back where I got it, when my turn comes up, 10 minutes later........ In the likes of D*nnes for e.g. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I read the thread title and thought somebody had spiked the penny sweets with caustic soda tablets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Lots of places have a 5 Euro minimum.

True. Quite a few places will take 5 euro now I think about it. It's still annoying though. I would like to be able to grab a can of coke, tap the scanner with my card and off I go. Few places dont even realise you can just do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Well retailers are charged per Debit or Credit card transaction too, something like 27c per transaction. So if, for instance, somebody wants to buy chewing gum with Laser, which I have seen numerous times, they can f**k right off, because that's the margin on the chewing gum gone. Cash is king.

Was in my smallish local newsagent in Dublin during the week and some American kicked up a fuss and got in to a discussion and offered to pay 20 cent extra, and the shopkeeper agreed just to speed things up / get rid of him as he was causing a queue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 FlusterCluck

So you run in, as you do, to a newsagent to pick up a few overpriced things and run out. I find newsagents irritable places mostly because of others around me.

I have 2 main complaints

1. I judge people on the newspaper they are buying.

I do. If I happen to be in a newsagent and I see someone heading to the counter with a copy of the Irish Times or Sunday Independent I think - suave, sophisticated, cultured. I see someone with the Sun or the Mirror for example I think - scum.

I don't mean to! It's just an automated response to a visual stimulus.

2. Women with their hand bags. Have the change ready before you reach the counter please. All that routing around does actually annoy the queue behind you.

Is it really all that hard or degrading to you as a woman to have the change in your pocket or paws ready to go?

I could include random gang of feral youth but i'd leave that to someone else.

Hmmm.....

I would buy loads of different papers. Give you an example of me in a newsagents/Spar on a Sunday afternoon:

I will buy a 6 pack of lager.....probably Tuborg or Praszky or something that would cause you to curl up your nose in disgust at me. But it's not a bad lager and perfect for having as emergency scoops in the fridge. I would also pick up a bottle of wine for the gf. Generally Shiraz. Papers.. I would buy the Times and Guardian for articles and editorials. I would also buy the Irish Independent if it was a weekday because I like the twinplex crossword and it's an easily digestible rag. I would also pick up the Sun AND the Mirror for a bit of mental bubblegum and I like their football match reports.

I would then adjourn to an cosy ale-house with my haul of literature and quaff a bloody-mary to ease my hangover and then have a pint and pore over the papers.

Am I suave, sophisticated and cultured or am I scum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I wouldn't even notice what newspapers other people in the shop are buying. Quit being so nosy and so judgmental. Your only getting yourself worked up. Just breathe....

But I do agree that women queuing might want to start rummaging for their purse in advance. Same at the bus stop. Seriously, the sooner women scrap handbags the better for everyone!! Those things are bad for your back too!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Hmmm.....

I would buy loads of different papers. Give you an example of me in a newsagents/Spar on a Sunday afternoon:

I will buy a 6 pack of lager.....probably Tuborg or Praszky or something that would cause you to curl up your nose in disgust at me. But it's not a bad lager and perfect for having as emergency scoops in the fridge. I would also pick up a bottle of wine for the gf. Generally Shiraz. Papers.. I would buy the Times and Guardian for articles and editorials. I would also buy the Irish Independent if it was a weekday because I like the twinplex crossword and it's an easily digestible rag. I would also pick up the Sun AND the Mirror for a bit of mental bubblegum and I like their football match reports.

I would then adjourn to an cosy ale-house with my haul of literature and quaff a bloody-mary to ease my hangover and then have a pint and pore over the papers.

Am I suave, sophisticated and cultured or am I scum?

Hmmmmmmm mods can we do a poll?

Advertisement