Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newsagent irritants

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

It's not our fault that women's handbags are made in such a way that you can never find anything in them, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Angry_Mammarys

It's not our fault that women's handbags are made in such a way that you can never find anything in them, ever.

This, seriously.. I'm convinced there's actually a vortex or black hole or something in mine.

Numerous times I have searched my bag thoroughly for my phone to the point of assuming I left it somewhere else, and asked someone to phone it - only for it to ring from the recesses of my bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Angry_Mammarys

Numerous times I have searched my bag thoroughly for my phone to the point of assuming I left it somewhere else, and asked someone to phone it - only for it to ring from the recesses of my bag.

Happened to me today! I was about to swing my bag out the window I was so frustrated. seriously just considering wearing a fanny pack from now on, less hassle:(

Irish Times readers do tend to let you know they have a copy of the paper in their hands by making it as visible as possible.
    I'd say they no more make their copy of The Irish Times visible than someone makes their copy of The Sun visible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Hell Ram

I hang around the freezer looking sad in the hope some kind hearted soul will buy me a Cornetto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Hell Ram wrote: »
    I hang around the freezer looking sad in the hope some kind hearted soul will buy me a Cornetto.

I once had a complete meltdown because my OH wouldn't go to the shop in the rain, late at night, to buy me a cornetto :o

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

So you run in, as you do, to a newsagent to pick up a few overpriced things and run out.

Shoplifting is not cool!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Hell Ram

mauzo! wrote: »
    I once had a complete meltdown because my OH wouldn't go to the shop in the rain, late at night, to buy me a cornetto :o

I get that. They are that tasty!

Would always get one on a Sunday...back in the day! Best 50p you could spend in the shop! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I don't know about other bamks but AIB do a visa debit card now that you can use wirelessly on amounts up to €15. Any more than that and you need to enter your PIN. Very handy if I'm only getting one or two bits and pieces. Or if there's only 12 or 13 quid in my account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Just one Cornetto
    Give it to me
    You must be joking
    They cost 50p

Back in 1990 the three tenors were household names :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Happened to me today! I was about to swing my bag out the window I was so frustrated. seriously just considering wearing a fanny pack from now on, less hassle:(

Fanny pack -heh heh heh- that's a gee bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Sand wrote: »
    People paying for small purchases with a debit or credit card with the inherent delay. I did this once in my life at the end of a night out where the ATM in the shop was out of service. But I'm seeing people doing it more and more often these days to buy the paper or a packet of cigarettes.

What is wrong with that?
    No change in your pocket :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

So you run in, as you do, to a newsagent to pick up a few overpriced things and run out. I find newsagents irritable places mostly because of others around me.

I have 2 main complaints

1. I judge people on the newspaper they are buying.

I do. If I happen to be in a newsagent and I see someone heading to the counter with a copy of the Irish Times or Sunday Independent I think - suave, sophisticated, cultured. I see someone with the Sun or the Mirror for example I think - scum.

I don't mean to! It's just an automated response to a visual stimulus.

2. Women with their hand bags. Have the change ready before you reach the counter please. All that routing around does actually annoy the queue behind you.

Is it really all that hard or degrading to you as a woman to have the change in your pocket or paws ready to go?

I could include random gang of feral youth but i'd leave that to someone else.

What a pompous asshole you come across as with that statement.

I read the mirror every day my father read it and so did his father, it's the paper i grew up with and i enjoy reading it. I have a degree from Trinity and work upper management for a large semi state body.

Funnily enough the people who have caused the biggest damage to this country and the most harm to it's people would have been the so called "suave, sophisticated, cultured people" who read the Times and sindo. Next time you see a suit with the Irish Times and an overall wearing lad with the Sun maybe you should ask yourself which one is really the scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

bumper234 wrote: »

I read the mirror every day my father read it and so did his father, it's the paper i grew up with and i enjoy reading it. I have a degree from Trinity and work upper management for a large semi state body.

Funnily enough the people who have caused the biggest damage to this country and the most harm to it's people would have been the so called "suave, sophisticated, cultured people" who read the Times and sindo. Next time you see a suit with the Irish Times and an overall wearing lad with the Sun maybe you should ask yourself which one is really the scum.

I read the Times and I'm far from sophisticated and cultured. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

That Illegal to have a minimum spend amount on a debit card report shops you see doing that. And 20c per transaction per ATM to see if you can get a €10 note yeah good luck with that.
    Its not illegal, debit cards are not legal tender
    And it costs 35 cents every time you use your debit card, either in an ATM or at the till. (if you're with AIB the theiving bstards)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

So we agree, times readers are more likely to embezzle, mirror readers are more likely to beat you up at 2am for a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

3. Why do women carry routers in their handbag

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

That Illegal to have a minimum spend amount on a debit card report shops you see doing that. And 20c per transaction per ATM to see if you can get a €10 note yeah good luck with that.

Cash & Coins in Euro are the only form of legal tender in Ireland. I cannot see how this is true to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Akrasia wrote: »
    Its not illegal, debit cards are not legal tender
    And it costs 35 cents every time you use your debit card, either in an ATM or at the till. (if you're with AIB the theiving bstards)

I think if you have 3k in your current acount you get free banking

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    So we agree, times readers are more likely to embezzle, mirror readers are more likely to beat you up at 2am for a laugh.

I was once bitten on my arm which resulted in hospital visits every 2 weeks for 6 months. Guy who bit me was wearing a suit and worked for Danske bank.

Got a glass smashed into my face requiring 8 stitches. Guy who glassed me was a barrister!

I know a guy who was rugby tackled down a flight of stairs outside a nightclub resulting in him wearing a cage on his leg for over a year and him nearly losing his leg. Guy who did the damage was a Blackrock college graduate wearing a suit and carrying a laptop and working for davy brokers.

Once saw a traffic cone thrown through a windscreen by a trainee solicitor who then proceeded to headbutt the woman in the face when she confronted him about it.

Yeah it's the mirror readers you need to watch out for :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Maybe you need to frequent different places, with different people :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I was once bitten on my arm which resulted in hospital visits every 2 weeks for 6 months. Guy who bit me was wearing a suit and worked for Danske bank.

Got a glass smashed into my face requiring 8 stitches. Guy who glassed me was a barrister!

I know a guy who was rugby tackled down a flight of stairs outside a nightclub resulting in him wearing a cage on his leg for over a year and him nearly losing his leg. Guy who did the damage was a Blackrock college graduate wearing a suit and carrying a laptop and working for davy brokers.

Once saw a traffic cone thrown through a windscreen by a trainee solicitor who then proceeded to headbutt the woman in the face when she confronted him about it.

I'm thinking you start a lot of arguments with people in suits...

Grayson wrote: »
    I'm thinking you start a lot of arguments with people in suits...

What gives you the idea that i started anything? They were wearing suits so it must have been the mirror reader that started it all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Next time you see a suit with the Irish Times and an overall wearing lad with the Sun maybe you should ask yourself which one is really the scum.

Oh this is almost as silly as the poster in the Anglo thread asking was Sean Fitzpatrick worse than John Gilligan.

Anyway in answer to your question it is more likely to be the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

You need to get out of that law firm ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

anncoates wrote: »

Seems like a roll call of scenes from "The Firm".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

anncoates wrote: »

Can't handle the coke,little scamps.

Oh this is almost as silly as the poster in the Anglo thread asking was Sean Fitzpatrick worse than John Gilligan.

Anyway in answer to your question it is more likely to be the latter.

Why? You really believe that tabloid reader = scum?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

I know a guy who was rugby tackled down a flight of stairs outside a nightclub resulting in him wearing a cage on his leg for over a year and him nearly losing his leg. Guy who did the damage was a Blackrock college graduate wearing a suit and carrying a laptop and working for davy brokers.:

Why did he have a laptop at a nightclub? :D

Advertisement