Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cardiff City could go from Blue to Red

• 09-05-2012 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Cardiff City's owners are considering "re-branding" the team, from Blue shirts to Red. For money.

I think it's a shameful idea.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Meh, I'd do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Augmerson wrote: »
    Meh, I'd do it.

What team do you support?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Wrexham probably won't be too pleased.
    Also, will they be changing their nickname to the redbirds?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Des wrote: »
    The club's Malaysian investors believe red is a more dynamic colour for marketing in Asia,

Typical colourist Asians! What the hell does that statement even mean anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Why you think it's a shameful idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I can understand their arguments for it, but their colour is part of their history also.

I'd say keep the blue.

Why you think it's a shameful idea?

Because a teams shirt colour is it's main identity, many, many teams even use it as an identifying name.

Liverpool are "The Reds" for instance. Imagine is FSG decided to change their shirt colour to Blue, there'd be absolute uproar on this forum, and in the entire football world.

But because this is a Championship team in Wales, people think they should easily give up their history.

It's a horribly shameful thing to even contemplate.

Also, will they be changing their nickname to the redbirds?

Article says their nickname won't be chaning to The Red Dragons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

They'd be best off waiting till around 6pm on Sunday and switching it to a nice pale blue;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Dearg81 wrote: »
    Typical colourist Asians! What the hell does that statement even mean anyway?

I think red is meant to be a colour of good fortune in Asian culture, open to correction though.

If its anything liek Swansea's away jersey it could be a hit.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCmk8vX6G88XVC0U4QEFzXHOAM4mVfHGg7OWIeJJy5uzdjOZ39TQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

#comeonyouboysinwhatevercolourourownerswant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Dreadful that an owner thinks he can destroy a club's history like this. Red jerseys will not make Cardiff any more popular. Clubs like Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd are popular in Asia because of their history not because they wear the colour red. This is doomed to fail. If they want to get recognition in Asia, they should go on pre season tour there and buy a few Asian players. Even this will not guarantee Cardiff becoming popular in Asia.

Hopefully Cardiff fans can mobilise against this, and make the owners listen to them. Would be a disgrace if Cardiff had to change just for one owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm sure back in 1907 they were pissing and moaning about Riverside FC changing their name to Cardiff City.

Things change and for some reason football fans don't seem to be able to accept that, too stuck in the past with not enough vision for the future.

That being said I am not sure how much impact Cardiff could make in Asia where Liverpool, Utd, Chelsea are very popular.
    But if the owner is serious about his long term investment intentions (and that could be a big IF) then it would worth it.

I'm sure back in 1907 they were pissing and moaning about Riverside FC changing their name to Cardiff City.

Things change and for some reason football fans don't seem to be able to accept that, too stuck in the past with not enough vision for the future.

That being said I am not sure how much impact Cardiff could make in Asia where Liverpool, Utd, Chelsea are very popular.
    But if the owner is serious about his long term investment intentions (and that could be a big IF) then it would worth it.

Who do you support?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Liverpool are "The Reds" for instance. Imagine is FSG decided to change their shirt colour to Blue, there'd be absolute uproar on this forum, and in the entire football world.

Sure look what happened when liverpool even had a tint of blue on one of their jerseys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Clubs should not throw away their history, I would be pretty pissed off if my club changed their home strip. Simple solution is to introduce a red away strip, everyone is happy, win win IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Might as well change to 'Wrexham in Disguise F.C.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

cardiff blues ending their deal and moving back to arms park to allow for significant rebranding. fair enough in that they are a long way from selling it out but its a very blue stadium... they must be going for it alright.
    could they not change the away kit to red... market it more in asia, edge the stadium to blue and red... they had a maroon one in 08/09. edge the dragon to being slightly more promenent in the crest. red tint under the sleves in the home kit too.
    i wouldnt walk away from blue though, when your nickname in the bluebirds and there is one on the crest you are well tied to it. reckon i went far enough with those suggestions.

and a quick google search said blue is related to imortality in china. red-luck in china, purity in india.... id take imortality. would also be kind of ironic to associate yourself with purity when you sell your soul:pac:

Who do you support?

Castlebar Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The owners have abandoned their plans at least for this season.
    In the light of the vociferous opposition by a number of the fans to the proposals being considered as expressed directly to our local management and through various media and other outlets, we will not proceed with the proposed change of colour and logo and the team will continue to play in blue at home for the next season with the current badge.

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10335~2766829,00.html

Good to see some sense prevail, but it seems like it will be an idea that the owners will return to next season. In the full statement they seem to believe that the financial troubles of Cardiff will be solved by this colour change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Red is a more striking colour. It seems they listened to the fans so won't be happening and I doubt the fans will be changing their minds any time in the future and I have to say I'd agree with staying in their traditional colour. Can always have a red away jersey! The crest is an option to be changed too since it's not been so consistant over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Everyone should play in Red, home and away. Yay for red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

The colour thing is overrated.

Liverpool traditionally wore white shorts up until the 60s.
    Brazil used to play in white up until the 1950s.
    Ireland/NornIron used to play in blue up until the 1930s.

Many other examples I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Surely he thinks they'll finally get promoted if they change the kit colours

Confirmed.

Link
    Cardiff City have confirmed the Bluebirds will play in red from next season onwards after the club’s Malaysian owners formally unveiled the club's new image.

The switch - which also includes a new club crest and which comes into effect immediately - comes after the club's hierarchy approved the decision at a board meeting.

In addition to the new kit, the club have announced plans to build a brand new training ground, pay off the historical Langston debt, provide manager Malky Mackay with a substantial transfer kitty, and to explore the possibility of expanding the Cardiff City Stadium.

The club have unveiled three new strips - a red home shirt, a blue away strip, and a third kit, which is mainly black.

All new kits bear a redesigned badge, incorporating a main image of a dragon, with a small bluebird inserted underneath, and carrying the slogan "Fire and Passion".

Club chairman Dato Chan Tien Ghee said the moves were "not meant to destroy any part of the club's history or culture", while chief executive Alan Whiteley called for fans to be "realistic and progressive" about the changes.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Teams have changed colours throughout their history. This is nothing new. Cardiff fans won't give a crap if they win promotion and all the guff about the blue kit will die a death with idiots proclaiming the jersey change as a sign.

Man United (Newton Heath) were Green and Yellow. Liverpool were originally the colour of Blackburn Rovers and then Sheffield Wednesday before the 'traditional' red. For all you 'traditionalists' I think the clubs need to go back to these colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Few rumours going about that Dundalk would play in yellow and blue instead of their traditional white shirt black shorts for the remainder of the season. Dundalk are sponsored by Fyffes

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Fairly ignorant attitude towards the fans by the owners considering how angrily the fans reacted when they first heard of this, I guess some owners couldn't give a shít about the culture of their clubs

Cokeistan wrote: »
    Fairly ignorant attitude towards the fans by the owners considering how angrily the fans reacted when they first heard of this, I guess some owners couldn't give a shít about the culture of their clubs

And I guess most fans couldn't give a shít about the culture of their club if their new owners pumps cash in they start winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

0,,10335~10919785,00.jpg

Everyone is just going to buy the away kit :P

Advertisement