Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to be a carer ...

Options
  • 25-01-2013 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Im planing a career in Healthcare Support, Im waiting to hear if I have a place on a part time course with the VEC, if they dont give me a place this time round I will just go and do the course elsewhere. I have some questions if anyone can help ?

The course, Healthcare Support Fetac Level 5.
    How difficult is the course ?

When I need to choose modules what are the best ones to pick ?

I know a couple of male carers who went on work experience and were hired by the company they were sent to, is this common ?

Is there a shortage of male carers ?

Any advice welcome, thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,122 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The VEC course comprises usually of 8 modules, including work experience and communications. It is usually regarded as equivalent to leaving cert in terms of difficulty, but the subjects are related to caring, so things like maths and languages are not part of the course.

You do not pick modules, the course is already structured with a range of modules selected by the college from a list proved by FETAC.

Male carers with an interest in and flair for caring do seem to find jobs from the courses. This is not guaranteed but I agree it does seem to happen. There are usually no more than 25% male carers on the courses, often less.

Places on the courses depend as much on the interview as anything else, so go prepared showing that you have researched the course and with information on any work (including voluntary) that you may have done that demonstrates caring for or dealing with people.

You will probably find that the FETAC listing under Edu might give you feedback about courses.

Edit: Re username, yes ok, it is irrelevant.

i hate the word i want
    would be nicer to say .... i would like

Mod: This is also irrelevant. Lets stick to the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

looksee wrote: »
    The VEC course comprises usually of 8 modules, including work experience and communications. It is usually regarded as equivalent to leaving cert in terms of difficulty, but the subjects are related to caring, so things like maths and languages are not part of the course.

You do not pick modules, the course is already structured with a range of modules selected by the college from a list proved by FETAC.

Male carers with an interest in and flair for caring do seem to find jobs from the courses. This is not guaranteed but I agree it does seem to happen. There are usually no more than 25% male carers on the courses, often less.

Places on the courses depend as much on the interview as anything else, so go prepared showing that you have researched the course and with information on any work (including voluntary) that you may have done that demonstrates caring for or dealing with people.

You will probably find that the FETAC listing under Edu might give you feedback about courses.

Your username does not really suit the image of a carer, you may think about why you chose it?

I would like to correct you here if you dont mind,

After the first 5 modules (I think) there is a choice of further modules on some courses.

I have been told that there is no interview for the VEC course and I have already sat a pre placement session where I scored the highest grade.

My forum user name has nothing to do with anything, its simply a forum username, not a reflection on my abilities or personality. Thanks for being so judgmental, I hope you are not a carer if thats the way you deal with people.

Three replies to my post and each one is negative, two about my username which is irrelevant and one about my choice of words, not what I was expecting in a Carers forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I'm halfway there on a Major Health Care Award. This is made up of a certain amount of mandatory modules (5) and 3 optional which you can choose yourself. The only advice I can give you is that you should choose the modules that you are most interested in i.e. if you want to go work in a Care Home, then Care of the Elderly would be a good one or palative care.

If you preferred to work with children, then there is a challenging behaviour module. You could also do more then the requirement to give you more options.

Whatever ones you choose there is a lot of assignments and with Communications (mandatory) you have to stand up and give talks. The assignments are time consuming but if you put the effort in, you can do well. So far I have distinctions.

It might be a good idea to contact The Carers Association of Ireland who can help with more information and they also run these courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Fuh Q wrote: »
    Three replies to my post and each one is negative, two about my username which is irrelevant and one about my choice of words, not what I was expecting in a Carers forum...
    Fair point, I've deleted my post, good luck with your studies.

Knine wrote: »
    I'm halfway there on a Major Health Care Award. This is made up of a certain amount of mandatory modules (5) and 3 optional which you can choose yourself. The only advice I can give you is that you should choose the modules that you are most interested in i.e. if you want to go work in a Care Home, then Care of the Elderly would be a good one or palative care.

If you preferred to work with children, then there is a challenging behaviour module. You could also do more then the requirement to give you more options.

Whatever ones you choose there is a lot of assignments and with Communications (mandatory) you have to stand up and give talks. The assignments are time consuming but if you put the effort in, you can do well. So far I have distinctions.

It might be a good idea to contact The Carers Association of Ireland who can help with more information and they also run these courses.

Thanks, I was wondering if I could do more than the 8 modules required.
    Im not sure which I will choose, I worked with hospital patients for years including the elderly and people with disabilities and enjoyed it, I might go in that direction,its hard to know whats the best option.
    Do you enjoy the training ? who are you training with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I did my training with the Carers Association and I did really enjoy it. I am a full time Carer and I found the courses were a good way of getting together with people who were also Caring or hoping to Care in the future. I found the course fun and really enjoyed them.

Unfortunately my role as a Carer can make it difficult even to study part time but I do what I can.

Yes you can do as many of them as you like. I particularly loved the Challenging Behaviour Module.

The fact you have already worked in the area will be a great help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

I have no experience with caring whatsoever but have found that, during my jobsearch, carers of all sorts are in great demand. Carers will also always be in demand as no one is getting any younger. A sound career choice, so.
    Good luck with your course.

I have no experience with caring whatsoever but have found that, during my jobsearch, carers of all sorts are in great demand. Carers will also always be in demand as no one is getting any younger. A sound career choice, so.
    Good luck with your course.
    Thanks, Im convinced it is the right choice for me, looking forward to getting into training or into employment.

• Advertisement

I would like to correct you here if you dont mind,

After the first 5 modules (I think) there is a choice of further modules on some courses.

I have been told that there is no interview for the VEC course and I have already sat a pre placement session where I scored the highest grade.

My forum user name has nothing to do with anything, its simply a forum username, not a reflection on my abilities or personality. Thanks for being so judgmental, I hope you are not a carer if thats the way you deal with people.

That was the situation in the VEC that I am aware of, since colleges operate independently within the system there will be variations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Friend of the devil

Hi all,

I've recently decided that I want to be a carer. Up to now I've been living abroad and teaching for a number of years, but I have no enthusiasm for it anymore. While at home a few months ago, I got talking to a friend who was finishing her FETAC course and had been working as a carer in Dublin for a number of months. The way she spoke about it, the relationships you build and the feeling of having done something that makes a difference to someone, made me want to get involved.

My gf and I are planning on returning to Ireland around next summer so I can make a start on the FETAC course and hopefully get a position somewhere. Where would people recommend doing the course? Or does it even matter? I've been thinking Dublin, but that's just because we have some old friends living there that would make the transition from living abroad to being at home that bit easier.

I'd be delighted to hear from anyone who's done the course about their experiences and/or any advice they may have for me.

Thanks in advance everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

Okay, speaking from my experience.

I found the course simple enough, but you do have to put a bit of work into it.

Now to the subject elective modules:

This kind of depends in which area you want to go into.
    For example if you want to work in the field of Elderly Care, I would definitively pick Care Of the Elderly and Palliative Care.
    If you want to be involved with the Disable, then my personal choice would be Occupational First Aid and Disability Support.

Now depending where you going to do this course,they might have different names for the module, or have other ones as an option.

As for the shortage of male Carers.

Now, the guys in my group all got work experience no problem, but later stated that they were not allowed to get the female residents ready for the day/ for the night and even some male residents did not wish to be looked after by them.

I presume it has to do with their upbringing, when care work was an all female area, as well as the fact of their religious background.

Thanks for your reply! Did you do the course recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

Yes, I did the course this year.

FETAC is currently changing the system around thou, so from next year on, there will be a few changes.
    What exactly I could not tell you.

Hi guys, I have completed 7 of the 8 modules needed and am not able to complete the work experience module due to the delay in getting Garda clearance, I signed the form in early March and still have no clearance 8 months later.
    Fetac need all modules completed by December to complete the course, in my case I can not complete the 225 hours needed to complete my course. The seven modules I have completed can not be carried over into the new course set up. It now looks like I will have to start over. I have had a couple of job offers but could not start without Garda clearance.
    I turned down a job offer as they were only offering €9.30 per hour and wanted me to work nights,days,weekends,bank holidays with no extra pay.
    I now work in a different industry as I had to take the first job that came up due to financial difficulties. I am very disappointed that I put in all the effort and now will lose out due to the Garda clearance mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Hi guys, I have completed 7 of the 8 modules needed and am not able to complete the work experience module due to the delay in getting Garda clearance, I signed the form in early March and still have no clearance 8 months later.
    Fetac need all modules completed by December to complete the course, in my case I can not complete the 225 hours needed to complete my course. The seven modules I have completed can not be carried over into the new course set up. It now looks like I will have to start over. I have had a couple of job offers but could not start without Garda clearance.
    I turned down a job offer as they were only offering €9.30 per hour and wanted me to work nights,days,weekends,bank holidays with no extra pay.
    I now work in a different industry as I had to take the first job that came up due to financial difficulties. I am very disappointed that I put in all the effort and now will lose out due to the Garda clearance mess.

I'm not sure if you are talking about agency, nursing home, or private care but regardless I agree that 9.30 is too low if you are doing weekends and public holidays, and have to pay tax out of that, but nights are generally paid less than day time hours if it's private care for example, as with most patients at home, there is a lot less to do, and you will spend a lot of the time sleeping.

I'm not sure what the HSE or agencies pay their carers, (I'd imagine 12 euro an hour before tax) but 10 euro an hour (after tax) is the average pay for carers, and that is even considered good by many carers. Families paying private carers can't pay much more than that either so 9.30 for daytime or night hours would seem less than average for day time (but okay) and good for nighttime cover.

The 9.30 per hour was for a nursing home where almost all the residents are live in full time. I feel that it is way to low for a position of care and thrust, after all you are taking responsibility for the care of people and not stacking shelves in a supermarket.
    Anyway, I know people who attended that same course as me landed jobs starting a €14 and €15.50 per hour, with others starting at €11/€12. Personally I would find it difficult to give 100% in such a vital job for less than the hourly rate that my son got for working in a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

The 9.30 per hour was for a nursing home where almost all the residents are live in full time. I feel that it is way to low for a position of care and thrust, after all you are taking responsibility for the care of people and not stacking shelves in a supermarket.
    Anyway, I know people who attended that same course as me landed jobs starting a €14 and €15.50 per hour, with others starting at €11/€12. Personally I would find it difficult to give 100% in such a vital job for less than the hourly rate that my son got for working in a shop.

Like I said, I was talking mainly about private care.
    Also, I was talking about that being fair as an after tax rate.

In a nursing home, then no, given the costs involved to families and relatives, 9.30 is an insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

I work as a community carer with the H.S.E, and completed the course 2 years ago. The modules were different to what they are now, have to say I enjoyed the course, some things were hard, the course is based from a hospital/nursing home prospective which was a little annoying. I completed the work experience module in my own job . I hope to go on and do palliative care in the new year, I feel the course should include this too.A certain private company are offering the world when you apply as my friend found out. You are stuck in a two year contract and must pay for the course yourself, the company send you on the first few modules and then nothing so most of their carers are not fully trained.

• Advertisement

Are any parts of the fetac course available to take on line? wouldn't mind getting a head start on it if it were possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭92Grainne1992

First and foremost... Three words. No You Don't!!

First and foremost... Three words. No You Don't!!

i don't know what this is in response to...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dirtyplate

does anyone know if you can do this part time and what the hours of the course would be like?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Howyahorse

I'm surprised you'd say that.
    It's a fantastic job; helping others who need it.
    I love it and have many friends based in this line of work who love it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

Im planing a career in Healthcare Support, Im waiting to hear if I have a place on a part time course with the VEC, if they dont give me a place this time round I will just go and do the course elsewhere. I have some questions if anyone can help ?

The course, Healthcare Support Fetac Level 5.
    How difficult is the course ?

When I need to choose modules what are the best ones to pick ?

I know a couple of male carers who went on work experience and were hired by the company they were sent to, is this common ?

Is there a shortage of male carers ?

Any advice welcome, thanks..

im currently on a carers course.

Difficulty is hard to judge, it depends on your aptitude, your willingness to do the work, and the amount you put into it.

Male carers are in short supply yes, ive heard this from numerous mouths within Fetac.

Your friends getting paid work, yes that does happen - especially if the place is desperate for staff. However you MUST complete your level 5 as you wont go away from the company who have hired you without it. If they offer you the role make it clear at interview that you will still need to attend your course. Plus if HIQA come calling and you are not qualified nor working toward it, your out of a job.

Module wise, Fetac will do the whole lot, level 4 and all 8 modules in level 5, will take about 2 years. you can do it in shorter timeframes by paying for the modules but you will need (as far as i know) all eight to get the full qualification.

Also communications is very heavy and requires a lot of work and we had nearly three months to do it and i was the only one who handed it in when the module was finished and i struggled and it did drive me a bit potty.

Ill also add that this is not just a job, its a vocation, its not a 9-5. The course will quickly show you if you are suitable for it. If you go in just thinking ill do it get off the dole you are in for a rough ride. ITs not an easy job and you really have to want to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

Hi My friend has an interview for a local carers course in the local VEC. He is in his 50 and very worried that he will say the wrong thing and mess up the interview. he has worked as a carer years ago when the was in his 20s to earn money for college so he has an idea of what he would be doing. Its just the interview that worrys him.

Tell your friend to relax and just take the interview as it comes. I have been on the other side of the desk and I can tell you that there are no trick questions and the interviewers look on the interview sympathetically. Tell him to read the information in the brochure so he knows what the course is about, and be prepared to ask questions about any bits he does not understand. Make sure he has any paperwork they have asked for, and look tidy but not formal. And the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Pie and Mash

I currently work as a carer, on the road for €9 per hour. It is the hardest job I have ever done, the job I love, the people I care for I love but the stress of driving in busy traffic and trying to get from client to client in ridiculous time frames set by my employers has burnt me out and I have resigned to look for something with less or no driving.

Be careful and choosy about who you work for, you need to feel valued to be the best carer you can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement