Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two TDs arrested at Shannon Airport

Options
  • 22-07-2014 2:04pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭

From the Limerick Post website.
    TWO Dáil deputies were arrested today while demanding to search US military aircraft at Shannon Airport, according to sources.

Independent TDs Mick Wallace and Clare Daly were arrested and taken to Shannon Garda Station before lunchtime.

According to anti-war activist Ed Horgan of Shannonwatch, the two were arrested on the tarmac where two military flights were standing.

Mr Horgan told the Limerick Post that the TDs were attempting to inspect a Hercules and a Boeing 747.

I wonder how they got as far as the tarmac? Cut through the fence, or from getting access by pretending to board another flight and detouring across the runway?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Looks like they cut the fence. Little more information here.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/two-tds-arrested-at-shannon-airport-637078.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Yet another serious breach of security at the airport! :o

Time to debate Ireland’s neutrality / NATO membership in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Nice to see law abiding TDs.

Funny how Wallace and Daly are great to shout about others breaking the law, but it is ok for them to do so.

It does raise some serious questions about security at the airport, but it raises even bigger questions about the type of person that gets to be a TD these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It also raises the question about Ireland not only condoning, but silently aiding rendition flights where "suspects" are being brought to countries that aren't too squeamish about torture.
    We are only too happy to piss on the human rights of everyone else, as long as we can make a few bob ourselves.
    Irish "neutrality" is definitely for sale to the right bidder for the right price.
    A lot of people will be shouting for proof, but that is exactly the point.
    The yanks have said "nothing to see on those planes, better turn around now Paddy and keep your trap shut if you know what's good for you!" and the authorities snapped to attention and answered with a resounding "Sir! Yes, Sir!" and promptly declared that there is nothing of note to be seen on those planes and the Americans have explained it all to us and it was all very plausible, so there is no need to ever search one of those planes again.
    Of course moral courage and civil disobedience do not exist to a large degree in Ireland, we are happy to give out in the pub and park on double yellow lines to "stick it to the man", but to do anything that might get the neighbours talking, Jaysus, no!
    The Irish like to portray an image of being rebels and having taken on the Brits and thrown them out of the country, but in reality will take any amount of crap, as long as their wage comes in on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

What would them two know about aircraft? I know she was a shop steward above in Dublin airport, but come on..!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I think we forget:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon_Airport
    search for rendition

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/politics/anger-at-rendition-flights-through-shannon-166249.html

http://www.amnesty.ie/content/rendition-flights

http://www.thejournal.ie/us-rendition-flight-aircraft-flew-to-shannon-airport-215372-Sep2011/

And for a laugh:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/gilmore-accepts-us-assurance-of-no-rendition-flights-through-shannon-231876-Sep2011/

Is this still ongoing? Is Obama all soft and cuddly? We just don't know, Guantanamo is still open, what really goes on behind the scenes?
    We are happy to turn a blind eye, so we can pretend it's all not happening, because, think of all that beautiful money!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I hope those two gob5hites are prosecuted and jailed.
    Of course, they won't be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It also raises the question about Ireland not only condoning, but silently aiding rendition flights where "suspects" are being brought to countries that aren't too squeamish about torture.
    We are only too happy to piss on the human rights of everyone else, as long as we can make a few bob ourselves.
    Irish "neutrality" is definitely for sale to the right bidder for the right price.
    A lot of people will be shouting for proof, but that is exactly the point.
    The yanks have said "nothing to see on those planes, better turn around now Paddy and keep your trap shut if you know what's good for you!" and the authorities snapped to attention and answered with a resounding "Sir! Yes, Sir!" and promptly declared that there is nothing of note to be seen on those planes and the Americans have explained it all to us and it was all very plausible, so there is no need to ever search one of those planes again.
    Of course moral courage and civil disobedience do not exist to a large degree in Ireland, we are happy to give out in the pub and park on double yellow lines to "stick it to the man", but to do anything that might get the neighbours talking, Jaysus, no!
    The Irish like to portray an image of being rebels and having taken on the Brits and thrown them out of the country, but in reality will take any amount of crap, as long as their wage comes in on time.

Ireland isn't neutral, it's not mentioned anywhere in the constitution. In reality we're non aligned and have been allowing military aircraft of various countries to land for decades (something a neutral country wouldn't allow).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Fair play to them bringing the spotlight to this issue. Either we are a country that condones murdering women and children and supports torture, or we are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

We could look a lot closer to home on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

CptSternn wrote: »
    Fair play to them bringing the spotlight to this issue. Either we are a country that condones murdering women and children and supports torture, or we are not.

Well said. We are supposed to be a neutral country so in my opinion, no military, except our own, should be allowed to use our airports.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mr. G wrote: »
    Well said. We are supposed to be a neutral country so in my opinion, no military, except our own, should be allowed to use our airports.

As I said above, we're not neutral, we're non aligned. We've been allowing foreign countries (not just the US) to use our airports for years. 35 countries used Shannon in the last year. I actually remember German Tornados in Shannon a number of years ago. If we were neutral, we'd allow no foreign military aircraft to land.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Ireland isn't neutral, it's not mentioned anywhere in the constitution. In reality we're non aligned and have been allowing military aircraft of various countries to land for decades (something a neutral country wouldn't allow).
    Don't we have "neutral observers" in Afghanistan? Neutrally observing from neutrally embedded positions within the not very neutral US army?

CptSternn wrote: »

Yeah it is not as though either was in a position to raise the issue at government level.

Unlike the vast majority of people in the country, those two are in the priviliged position to be able to raise any such issues in the Dail.

I look forward to similar levels of interest in the Mid West from those two when things like infrastructure, employment and the like are on the table.

Smacks of attention seeking to me. Moreso when one considers how Wallace made a lot of noise about the Gardai in the Dail, yet when there was a vote on the very bill he wanted brought in, the man could not be bothered to turn up at the Dail to vote. Why? Because he does not go to work when the World Cup is on.

Yep a man that really follows through on the noise he makes alright.

Kess73 wrote: »
    It does raise some serious questions about security at the airport, but it raises even bigger questions about the type of person that gets to be a TD these days.
    Nope. The biggest question it still raises is why no foreign military aircraft are ever inspected when they are on Irish soil.

I look forward to similar levels of interest in the Mid West from those two when things like infrastructure, employment and the like are on the table.
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/search/?pid=299&pop=1#n4
    Yeah, he's a total one issue guy that Wallace isn't he?
    (not that I don't agree he's a bit of a looney)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

These 2 clowns broke the law and should do the time.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/search/?pid=299&pop=1#n4
    Yeah, he's a total one issue guy that Wallace isn't he?
    (not that I don't agree he's a bit of a looney)

Never said he was a one issue guy, but he does have form for going down a route that gets publicity for him and then not following up at all of the issues that he claimed were so important.

Him not turning up, because of the World Cup, for the vote on the very bill he was championing has me doubting the sincerity of his actions.

The cynic in me thinks that what happened in Shannon the other day was more a self serving act that a state serving one.

Funny thing is that if the history of Irish airports is looked into, including more recent times, then Shannon is not the only Irish airport that has had military aircraft touch it's runways.

I also disagree with how some of the "protests" are done. Illegally entering an airport is not something I would ever condone, and I do think that there are better ways to highlight issues, especially when those involved have direct access to the media and the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Will they be dropped from the Dail ?

Is that the end of their salaries and pensions etc ?

I also disagree with how some of the "protests" are done. Illegally entering an airport is not something I would ever condone, and I do think that there are better ways to highlight issues, especially when those involved have direct access to the media and the Dail.
    Do you think this stunt (yeah, I'll call it that) has raised more or less publicity for this cause than if Mick Wallace had raised it in The Dail?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Fair play to them, no harm to shine a light on some issues like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

The quality of intellect shown by our elected representatives is shown here. Who in gods name tries to covertly enter a foreign military plane using a high vis jacket to camouflage themselves with.

ger664 wrote: »
    The quality of intellect shown by our elected representatives is shown here. Who in gods name tries to covertly enter a foreign military plane using a high vis jacket to camouflage themselves with.
    Er, maybe, just maybe, they were hoping for some media exposure? Convoluted theory, I know...
    Not that high vis would be all that unusual for Mick.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

They didn't even bring IDs, then at least it might be a bit believable :rolleyes:

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Do you think this stunt (yeah, I'll call it that) has raised more or less publicity for this cause than if Mick Wallace had raised it in The Dail?

I think this stunt has drawn more publicity to Wallace and Daly than to anything else. There seem to be more people calling them clowns in the past day or so than there is public outcry over anything else.

The thing with raising it, and continuing to raise it, in the Dail is that it would be getting done in a setting where there would be some chance, no matter how small, of the issue getting looked into officially.

Breaking into an airport to "inspect" aircraft only serves to make the general public see you as a clown at best, or a danger at worst. Imo of course.

If a protest was the way to go, what was to stop Daly and Wallace organising a high profile protest outside the American Embassy? Surely they could have used their day job positions to ensure media coverage of such a protest. Or for them to do similar outside the gates of the Dail itself?

Just think what they did in Shannon was wrong, and that there were other routes that could have been followed that may have drawn more attention to what they claim to be protesting against than it would to who they were.

Would imagine that wearing a high vis vest on or near the runway would make you look more like an airport employee from a distance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Whatever about the debate about Ireland's neutrality and the use of our airports I would question the actions of the 2 people involved. Mr. Wallace taking the moral high ground for the country when he admitted to submitting false records to the Revenue in the past is a bit smart. Also, I don't remember voting for/electing either of these representatives, they aren't part of the government or a local representitive, surely they have no remit for being in Shannon other than self publicity.

I wonder if I took the idea that An Post was sending illegal stuff through the post (even though they say they aren't and the Minister in charge say they aren't) and decided to break in to the local sorting office would I be let off so easily?

Clareman wrote: »
    Whatever about the debate about Ireland's neutrality and the use of our airports I would question the actions of the 2 people involved. Mr. Wallace taking the moral high ground for the country when he admitted to submitting false records to the Revenue in the past is a bit smart. Also, I don't remember voting for/electing either of these representatives, they aren't part of the government or a local representitive, surely they have no remit for being in Shannon other than self publicity.

I wonder if I took the idea that An Post was sending illegal stuff through the post (even though they say they aren't and the Minister in charge say they aren't) and decided to break in to the local sorting office would I be let off so easily?

An Post are sending illegal stuff? That's me off down to Cork to break in so I can do an inspection.:D I'll be fine though because in this country you can break into private property, get caught and be released on the same day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

An Post are sending illegal stuff? That's me off down to Cork to break in so I can do an inspection.:D I'll be fine though because in this country you can break into private property, get caught and be released on the same day.

That's what they seem to be saying isn't it?

I reckon that the banks are doing stuff they shouldn't be doing either, or a pub is selling underage drink, or a garage is clocking cars, or a shop is illegal dumping. Oh yeah, and I'll go up to Dublin to check on all this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Clareman wrote: »

If An Post were supporting the murder of innocent women and children and supporting torture of innocent people then I sure hope they would.

Advertisement