Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are people from Cork selfconscious bout their accents?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

There are 3 Cork accents, they can be simplified as The Rugby accent, prominent mostly on the south side of the city.

Then there is the soccer accent, prominent on the northside and city centre.

Then finally the GAA one, prominent in the county.

But this thread does remind me of a documentary I once saw on BBC. They were travelling around the world to see how the English language is spoken in different parts.

So they arrive in Cork and head out to a place in the city known as Blackpool, to a brewery once known as Murphys, now Heineken.

Whilst there they ask one of the employees to explain the brewing process, this he does in a fine classic Cork accent, so much so, they actually inserted sub titles along the screen so that viewers could understand what he was saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

booboo88 wrote: »
    hahaha kerry bogger or tralee/killarney??
    Because theres a BIG difference ;)

I dont actually have a Cork accent, but there are some REALLY REALLY bad ones, or the fact that alot of Corkonians refer to each others sex, head wreck,

YES I'M FROM CORK

half bogger half tralee :D and yera im damn proud haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Villette

Cork accent is the best accent in Ireland. Fact! I love the country cork accent - like Charleville, but I also like the northside accent, it sounds like a song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Villette wrote: »
    Cork accent is the best accent in Ireland. Fact! I love the country cork accent - like Charleville, but I also like the northside accent, it sounds like a song.

If I wanted a song, I'd talk to Shirley Bassey.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Cork is the biggest county in Ireland and to suggest that all the people in that area have the same accent is simply untrue. In fairness though some of us do tend to, how shall I say, turn the accent up to 11 at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I like the normal cork accent not the knacker one though, any exaggerated accent can be annoying be it south dublin or mayo.

Also i have a donegal accent and i have had people laugh at me just for talking but im not self conscious it just reflects on the simpleness on the other person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Doesn't matter OP ya won't hear any cork accent on September 18th in Croke Park....

sorry but as a dub i'm rarely able to mock counties for not getting to an All Ireland Final :D

talla10 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter OP ya won't hear any cork accent on September 18th in Croke Park....

sorry but as a dub i'm rarely able to mock counties for not getting to an All Ireland Final :D

and there wont be a dub accent around croker after kerry are done.....

you know except for the fact that the stadium is in dublin damn it

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

jimpump wrote: »
    Cos i know i would. it would be like walking around with a big,juicy,white spot the size of a golf ball on my forehead

So are you cork people paranoid about your accents or have you lot learnt to just accept it and try to make the best of the cards you were dealt?

There are far worse accents then Corks ever heard a Limerick or Waterford one?

thats limerick city kidddd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

talla10 wrote: »

:D

yes you will only they call it South South Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭eirn

I kind of have a bit of a thing for men with Cork accents, no I can't explain it! Just really like it! Also like northern accents, I'm a woman of extremes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Oh sweet mothering jesus the Limerick is something else :eek:

booboo88 wrote: »
    Oh sweet mothering jesus the Limerick is something else :eek:

they are a special breed of annoying it must be said :D

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭volvoman480

Cos i know i would. it would be like walking around with a big,juicy,white spot the size of a golf ball on my forehead

So are you cork people paranoid about your accents or have you lot learnt to just accept it and try to make the best of the cards you were dealt?

In my finest west cork brogue, without subtitles for fear of a possible ban for abusive language.....

yerragowanto****outtadatyaauldbollix...like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

The Limerick knack accent is much worse than the Cork knack accent anyways. Cork ones always sound like they're just suggesting that you cut your hair or **** off, Limerick ones are telling you to. Knackers sound much less scary when they're so plaintive:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I know, I went out with a guy from Limerick *shame*

to be fair though i find all scum/knacker accents annoying so i probably am not the best judge of accentarial greatness (think i made a new word :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭dirtypanties

I'm born and bred in Cork but constantly get told I have a Dublin accent-then when I go to Dublin I get told I have a neutral Cork accent-Begorrah...I just
    can't win at all at all.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭JimiWonderDoor 92

Dont see anything wrong with sporting the accent that represents were your from, nothing makes my blood boil more than these young ones with there put on American or posh accents. Shame on them.

Your in Galway as well :), americanisms can be shockin here too.

Dunno is the use of 'Like' to punctuate sentences American tho? Otherwise we have awesome almost neutral accents (city anyway)

Some Cork people I have known have fairly neutral or thick accents. It varies its only annoying when they do that thing where everything they say sounds like a question. Other than that I dont mind it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Didn't read the thread but a mild cork accent is incredibly sexy in a woman in my ears and tells me that she would never let the plates stick together with gravy in the oven whilst waiting expectantly for your return

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I saw a video from my 10th birthday and I have my "pure Cark ack-cint" I nearly died of the shame!!!!

Now when people ask me where I am from they are shocked to hear it is Cork, they say they barely, if ever, hear the twang of it (thank Christ)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Paranoid? No!
    Aware? Yes! With a deep, deep pride. It's nice having something that marks you out as coming from a very special and wonderful place. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Not at all, especially when you have the C4 accent like myself. D4 for Cork people :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

Mild cork accent-lovely.
    Strong cork accent-impossible to understand and makes me want to cry.

Beats a d4/american/posho accent though-Ive started to get genuinely irritated evertime I hear one. 'Ohhh i knooow fuinneogh, loike its only a 4storr---loike FML loike!''
    DIE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

I work in Dublin, and I try to tone down my Cork accent for the Jackeens like (but jaysus, their skanger accent is way worse than any Cork accent - and it's 'you' not 'yous')

but apparently when I'm riled up, the Cork just comes out in me boy - it's nature over nurture when I'm in a temper like

now this is a real Cork accent!!! feen!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Do ya want yer go boy eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

knacker accents in general are just annoying, I'm from Limerick and have tried my best to lose any trace of that godawful accent a long time ago. I love dealing with angry customers from Cork as you just cant take them seriosly bai when they're roaring at you bai cos der bills are so high? (all Cork accents end in a questionary tone). my most hated accent by far is the Donegal one, its absolutely horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

cjmcork wrote: »
    but apparently when I'm riled up, the Cork just comes out in me boy - it's nature over nurture when I'm in a temper like
    I'm the same, I've been told that I have a slight accent, but when I get annoyed there's no mistaking that I'm from Cork!
    The north side accents can grate a bit, but for the most part I quite like the Cork accent.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement