Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are people from Cork selfconscious bout their accents?

Options
  • 04-09-2011 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

Cos i know i would. it would be like walking around with a big,juicy,white spot the size of a golf ball on my forehead

So are you cork people paranoid about your accents or have you lot learnt to just accept it and try to make the best of the cards you were dealt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Should they be ... like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

/turns off telly. This'll go well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Depends on the strength of the accent. I've a "subtle" Cork accent, as do all my friends. And there's nothing wrong with it tbh:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

era goway buuuuuuuuuuuyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Dont like cork accent in general but my ex had a savage cork accent.

Fcuking bitch though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'm guessing the OP has never actually met anyone from Cork...

To say they are proud of their origins is meiosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i love my kerry accent but those langers can be head wrecking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I'm guessing the OP has never actually met anyone from Cork...

To say they are proud of their origins is meiosis.

^^^^ this so much this haha

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Depends on the strength of the accent. I've a "subtle" Cork accent, as do all my friends. And there's nothing wrong with it tbh:rolleyes:

you keep telling yourself that pal. im watching customs on picktv where they are following some customs officers from cork around and i seriously feel sorry for you folk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Destroyer666

Dont see anything wrong with sporting the accent that represents were your from, nothing makes my blood boil more than these young ones with there put on American or posh accents. Shame on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Well they never stop mouthing about how 'Cark is the real capital baiiii' and other sh1te so no:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I don't know OP, are Dublin people selfconscious? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Iv got a fairly strong deep cork accent and it doesnt bother me too much.

But I did a video for a school project a few years ago and was mortified for myself when I heard my accent back.

Its fairly appalling to hear it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

The Cork accents are brilliant, I love hearing them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Cork accent is nice... can't stand the Dublin accent though, no offence to anyone with it, it just grates on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

i love my kerry accent but those langers can be head wrecking :D

hahaha kerry bogger or tralee/killarney??
    Because theres a BIG difference ;)

I dont actually have a Cork accent, but there are some REALLY REALLY bad ones, or the fact that alot of Corkonians refer to each others sex, head wreck,

YES I'M FROM CORK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Which Cork accent are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I quite like the Cork accent.. It's got character.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I most definitely am paranoid about my Cork accent.
    Therefore I have spent years and a trailerload of money travelling to Dublin to perfect the art of speaking properly.
    I can now almost faultlessly utter phrases such as -"eeeer buuud,are ya lissssnin' " - "aaah, ur wreckin' me bleedin buuuzzz" - "stoooory bud?" and of course "Two for a pow-ind"

I am, of course, now a better person.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Dont see anything wrong with sporting the accent that represents were your from, nothing makes my blood boil more than these young ones with there put on American or posh accents. Shame on them.

Ya I was at a guest lecture in UCC sometime a few years ago and this girl asked a question in this really strong american accent. Anyway the lecturer asks what part of america she was from, she says 'Im from montonotte' or something ' I just like the american accent so I talk like this' wtf. Cue the lecture hall half bursting out laughing the other hanging their heads not knowing how to react.

Theres two things worse than a cork accent though. A D4 one and a posh Cork accent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Does anyone else think that the OP is one of those Dubs with a mangled Californian accent, like Jedward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Destroyer666

I most definitely am paranoid about my Cork accent.
    Therefore I have spent years and a trailerload of money travelling to Dublin to perfect the art of speaking properly.
    I can now almost faultlessly utter phrases such as -"eeeer buuud,are ya lissssnin' " - "aaah, ur wreckin' me bleedin buuuzzz" - "stoooory bud?" and of course "Two for a pow-ind"

I am, of course, now a better person.

Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

kingtut wrote: »
    I don't know OP, are Dublin people selfconscious? :confused:

hell no....deadliest accent there is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

The cork accent is 10 billion times better than the vile noise that emanates from the mouths of Dubs.

Conversing with a Dub is akin to being showered with vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

jimpump wrote: »
    you keep telling yourself that pal. im watching customs on picktv where they are following some customs officers from cork around and i seriously feel sorry for you folk

Nah I'm fairly certain of it..my parents are both from Tipperary, so I've got something inbetween, that isn't really pronounced.

eurokev wrote: »
    Iv got a fairly strong deep cork accent and it doesnt bother me too much.

But I did a video for a school project a few years ago and was mortified for myself when I heard my accent back.

Its fairly appalling to hear it tbh

To be fair though, most people hate the sound of themselves if they listen back on a recording or a video!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Cos i know i would. it would be like walking around with a big,juicy,white spot the size of a golf ball on my forehead

So are you cork people paranoid about your accents or have you lot learnt to just accept it and try to make the best of the cards you were dealt?

What accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

I'm from Cork, not self-conscious about my accent because I don't have the stereotypical "alrii feeen" nasal whine going on.

I won't deny that knackers from the Glen, Hollyhill and Knocka (and the various wannabes) sound like a turbine spinning up but for people living pretty much anywhere else in the county, the accent is fairly non-descript.
    e.g. I had a girl from Norn Iron tell me I had no accent :confused: so there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Blay wrote: »
    Well they never stop mouthing about how 'Cark is the real capital baiiii' and other sh1te so no:pac:

Lol you've never been to Cork have you :cool:
    hell no....deadliest accent there is!

:D you really believe that ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

talla10 wrote: »
    Dont like cork accent in general but my ex had a savage cork accent.

Fcuking bitch though :pac:

You need to check your mickey for spots now. We sent her out to give you the clap...............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Moved to Cork aged 12 and was dumb-founded by the accent. I'd say it's the closest thing to learning a language without actually learning a language.

I'll probably be a blow in 'til I die which I'm okay with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement