Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They had planned 1 42 and 1 72 and now its 2 42 and that was before FR announced MAN. I will be very surprised in both aircraft stay. Two flights 30 minutes apart (both arrive in MAN same time) and one carrier is half the price.

Apparently the search for another 42 seems to be looking at a 500 series model. The Ryan's will certainly hurt Stobarts numbers but the ace in the hole may well be transfer pax.

Only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

I don’t how significant these numbers are but I fear a Ryanair’s daily flight to Manchester could undermine the Aer Lingus Regional base at Shannon too.

I wonder would Aer Lingus Regional be interested in the Liverpool route?

Was on one of these ATRs about 10 days ago and most passengers were meeting up with connecting flights. HOWEVER, my flight was a Sunday morning early SNN-MAN, and found about 12 English people who had flown from Manchester to Shannon late Saturday, and then had another ticket to fly Shannon to orlando (which went back to Manchester meeting up with Virgin Atlantic and US Airways) on the Sunday morning. Effectively, it was cheaper for them to fly Manchester to Shannon, overnight, fly Shannon back to Manchester and then on to orlando, than to fly direct from Manchester to orlando direct. I know it comes down to UK passenger taxes etc but that does seem a long to go.

My point was the ATRs are getting connecting passengers through both Shannon and Manchester transatlantic which Ryanair probably won't get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

I notice on ryanairs website that there is a shannon to edinburgh route but no flights come up when i search.
    whats that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

One off flights for RBS 6 nations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

ryanair are making a big announcement regarding shannon airport on thursday, wonder what it can be:) new routes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Jesus, I see the local Sinn Fein branch are planning a 1 hour peace vigil at the perimeter fence on Friday to highlight Palestinian kids being killed. I sincerely wish these protestors would fcuk off up to the relevant embassy in Dublin and stop attention whoring and bringing a negative focus to Shannon airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

News Release
    Shannon Airport welcomes enactment of Shannon Group legislation

The Shannon Group Bill was signed into law by President Michael D. Higgins yesterday, 27th July 2014.

The new legislation now paves the way for the formal establishment of Shannon Group, which will combine Shannon Airport with the property ownership and management activities of Shannon Commercial Enterprises Limited, Shannon Heritage and the International Aviation Services Centre (IASC), which builds on the aviation related activities already located at the Airport and in the Shannon Free Zone area.

Welcoming the announcement Rose Hynes, chairman Shannon Airport said: “The separation of Shannon Airport in January of last year and the enactment of the Shannon Group legislation are critical steps in a process that will now allow us to drive forward with our ambitious plans for Shannon Group. The establishment of Shannon Group will now take place in the coming weeks.”

Commenting on the announcement Shannon Group CEO Neil Pakey: “The signing into law of the Bill marks an exciting new beginning for the strategic business units within the Shannon Group and we look forward to the challenges ahead .”

About Shannon Group plc
    Shannon Group plc is a new commercial state company comprising four strategic business units focused on delivering economic benefits for the west of Ireland and the wider national economy. It brings together Shannon Airport, Shannon Heritage, the International Aviation Services Centre (IASC) and Shannon Commercial Properties (formally Shannon Development).

Shannon Airport succeeded in reversing a five year decline in passenger numbers in its first year as an independent entity. Passenger figures for 2013 confirmed positive growth for the first time since 2009. The outlook for 2014 is positive with double digit growth in passenger numbers expected.

Shannon Heritage is one of the largest operators of heritage products in Europe. It manages a growing portfolio of seven day visitor experiences and four evening entertainments in Clare, Limerick, Galway and Dublin.

The International Aviation Services Centre (IASC) is dedicated to building on the globally recognised and internationally competitive aviation industry cluster at Shannon.

Shannon Commercial Properties is focused on developing the company’s property portfolio.

Ends

zweton wrote: »
    ryanair are making a big announcement regarding shannon airport on thursday, wonder what it can be:) new routes?

Another one? surely not! They only made an announcement last Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

hmmm yes doubtful theres another one so, what was last weeks one? didnt read anything.

zweton wrote: »
    hmmm yes doubtful theres another one so, what was last weeks one? didnt read anything.

New route to Manchester and Kaunus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Jesus, I see the local Sinn Fein branch are planning a 1 hour peace vigil at the perimeter fence on Friday to highlight Palestinian kids being killed. I sincerely wish these protestors would fcuk off up to the relevant embassy in Dublin and stop attention whoring and bringing a negative focus to Shannon airport.

Some of the shinners should remember the children killed in their own name!

http://www.childrenofireland.us/childrenkilled.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

That's the danger with Ryanair. They'll now try to drive Aer Lingus off the Manchester route and instead of having a choice of 3 flights a day we'll end up with a single Ryanair flight.
    Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    You are now almost certain to lose one based EIR aircraft and given MAN was their biggest route for years at SNN, any major impact could easily spell a complete pull out from them.

Great to see SNN doing things differently from the daa :rolleyes:

This is a very poor and short-sighted decision to allow Ryanair launch a Manchester service. Not that EIR have any divine right to exclusivity on the MAN route, but the EIR service has been good for business travellers to be able to do a day's business in/near Manchester and return on the same day. It has also been good for the traveller making connections via Manchester airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭squonk

Sorry if this is OT really but I'm just wondering if Shannon/Ryanair are doing their Santa flights again this Christmas? perhaps somebody reading might know? How can I apply for a slot? Last year looked very impressive and you have to say fair play to Ryanair. It costs quite a bit to run a 738 on short flights over 3 or so weekends. They get a lot of flak at times but they deserve a bit of credit for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

squonk wrote: »
    you have to say fair play to Ryanair. It costs quite a bit to run a 738 on short flights over 3 or so weekends. They get a lot of flak at times but they deserve a bit of credit for this!

Hello Michael. Is that you???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭squonk

No, I'm not! No connection with Ryanair at all but I just believe that if someone is doing something good they deserve credit. I'd love a spin if it's run next Christmas for myself and my niece!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Masala wrote: »

Oh look another Ryanair hater! Believe it or not there are plenty of people who actually like Ryanair and have no issues with them (80m passengers say hello). It is actually allowed to praise them when they do something right

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Masala wrote: »
    Oh look another Ryanair hater! Believe it or not there are plenty of people who actually like Ryanair and have no issues with them (80m passengers say hello). It is actually allowed to praise them when they do something right

Mod: Please get back on topic. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Aer Lingus has their Faro route for summer 2015 for sale on their website, which almost defiantly means it is being continued. Although may it run a shorter period. (April 17th or May 1st to September 14th or October 31th, it is giving me both dates.)

Its great to see Aer Lingus keep a routes in Shannon that is under stiff competition from Ryanair.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Aer Lingus has their Faro route for summer 2015 for sale on their website, which almost defiantly means it is being continued. Although may it run a shorter period. (April 17th or May 1st to September 14th or October 31th, it is giving me both dates.)

Its great to see Aer Lingus keep a routes in Shannon that is under stiff competition from Ryanair.

Interesting to see if Malaga route is kept on, a surprising amount of spanish inbound on it from what I hear. Also Lanzarote route supposedly will run through summertime also

• Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Interesting to see if Malaga route is kept on, a surprising amount of spanish inbound on it from what I hear. Also Lanzarote route supposedly will run through summertime also

Ya I agree. But I couldnt help myself wondering, where did you hear that information about the lanzarote route? It would be a very useful route in my opinion.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I seen two Spanish tourists walking down the street in my local town. I was stunned.

Personally I believe a palma route would be a useful. I have countless extended family (mostly from Limerick) who love Majorca and visit yearly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Shannon Airport air traffic up +18% for July (IAA).

Normally the number of flights would peak in July, but this year it was in June.

318730.jpg

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for July are now available.

The overall total UK figures are up +4.0% as against the same month from last year.

Surprised to see Stansted numbers fall in July.

318732.png

Record month for Aer Lingus Regional (Aviation Tribune)

Aer Lingus Regional, operated by Stobart Air, experienced its best month on record in July since the franchise began in March 2010.

Shannon Airport passenger figures up 50%

318733.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Nice to see those figures up :)

Shannon Aerospace workers vote to accept new pension proposals (Breaking News)

SIPTU members at Shannon Aerospace have voted by a three-to-one majority to accept pension proposals issued by the Labour Relations Commission.

SIPTU said the proposals included the closure of the existing defined benefit pension scheme and the transfer of employees to a different defined contribution scheme.

An up-front investment will be included for those transferring to the new scheme, along with compensation.

The proposals also include a provision for registering the new pension agreement with the Labour Court when legislation is enacted for registering union and company agreements.

This was reported two weeks ago and I'm sure the new Shannon Group will be happy to see that this important MRO Company has resolved its pension issues.

The new Shannon Group plc is already very focused on tourism to continue the growth of passengers at the airport. :)

Firstly, Shannon Heritage, a subsidiary of the new Shannon Group plc, welcomes around 380,000 visitors annually, including 85,000 to its medieval banquets and traditional Irish nights at its three castles and its folk park.

In the summer season, Shannon Heritage employs 260 people. The most recent accounts lodged by Shannon Heritage for 2012 show that the firm returned to profit to record a pre-tax profit of €65,079 after its gross profit increased by 3.5% to €7m.

They are now in the process of hiring consultants to carry out a strategic review of its tourist operations regarding attractiveness, future expansion, cost structure and international comparisons.

Secondly the marketing of the Wild Atlantic Way has brought tourist numbers up in the West of Ireland this year.

The airport’s CEO Neil Pakey sees a huge opportunity for further growth with the Wild Atlantic Way given that Shannon is a key gateway to it when coming from the US, UK and Europe.

He warns that there can be no let-up in the promotion of the Wild Atlantic Way route as it will be a jewel in the tourism crown for Ireland in the years and decades ahead.

Sources:

Shannon body in tourism review (Irish Examiner)
    Shannon boss wants ‘no let-up’ in tourism promotion (Limerick Leader)
    Clare promoted in the US Midwest (Clare Herald)

US aviation firm to invest $3m in new Shannon base (Independent) :)

US-based Vortex Aviation will invest up to $3m (€2.2m) and create as many as 25 jobs in Shannon when it opens a new aircraft engine servicing facility there within the next three months, the Irish Independent has learned.

Vortex Aviation president Patrick Kaufman confirmed that the company is currently sourcing a large premises and is engaged in talks with aviation authorities and its own bankers.

Based in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, a big slice of Vortex's business is derived from servicing aircraft engines belonging to leasing companies.

It primarily focuses on engines manufactured by General Electric.Mr Kaufman said the company's engineers service engines all over the world, but it had been looking to establish a base closer to its European customers.

He said that a number of other countries had been considered for the investment, including Germany.

"Ireland is a centre for aviation and that really attracted us," he said, adding that the fact most of the world's top aircraft leasing firms have a significant presence in Ireland also helped to cement its decision to set up here.

He said that the company may base itself within the Shannon Free Zone trade area that's adjacent to the airport, but that it was also examining other options that would still see it based close to the airport.

He said Vortex is currently sourcing operational space extending between 20,000 and 30,000 sq ft for its new Irish arm. Three people will be based there initially, with the number rising to between 20 and 25.

Mr Kaufman said the company intends to hire Irish talent for the jobs. Ireland has a strong record in the aircraft maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) sector.

Shannon-based company Eirtech, which paints and retrofits for international carriers, was recently sold to US-based Vance Street Capital. Other MRO operators include Conor McCarthy's Dublin Aerospace.

The new Vortex operation is a coup for Shannon Airport, which is now a standalone entity and headed by chief executive Neil Pakey. It was spun out of the DAA back in 2012.

I wonder did Vortex Aviation base its decision to set up a new aircraft engine servicing facility here because the lessor Shannon Engine Support (SES) has its headquarters at Westpark?

Shannon Engine Support (SES) is the largest lessor of CFM56 and LEAP spare engines in the world.

Last year they expanded their portfolio with a $375 million LEAP Engine purchase.

SES was formed in 1988 as a joint venture between CFM and Guinness Peat Aviation to support the growing CFM56 engine fleet.

Today, SES manages more than 250 CFM56 engines.

SES is now a wholly owned subsidiary of CFM which in turn is a joint venture between GE and Snecma (Safran).

Lord Lucan posted this interesting statistical image on the aviation forum (Demographics from Dublin Airport).

What our passengers are saying about Dublin Airport (July 2014).

Its a bit blurred but it looks like that 54% of its passengers are from Ireland.

Of those from Ireland, 12% are from Munster and 9% from Connaught + (Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan).

Since 20.2 million passengers used Dublin last year, that would mean 10.9 million were resident in Ireland.

Of which 1.3 million live in Munster and 0.9 million live in Connaught + (Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan).

We don't know the final destination of the 9.3 million foreign passengers but if we apply the same % breakdown it would work out at 1.95 million.

In total, probably around 4 million passengers along the Atlantic Corridor from Donegal to Waterford use Dublin Airport instead.

There is potential for Knock, Shannon, Kerry and Cork Airports to take a greater share of the 25 million passenger market.

• 0.7 Million - Knock Airport
    • 1.4 Million - Shannon Airport
    • 0.3 Million - Kerry Airport
    • 2.3 Million - Cork Airport

• Advertisement

Iceland volcano: Bardarbunga eruption sparks red alert (BBC News) :(

Iceland has issued a red alert to the aviation industry for the Bardarbunga volcano, meaning significant ash emissions are likely.

The Icelandic Met Office has warned that a small eruption under an ice cap has begun at Bardarbunga.

The air space over the site has been closed, but all Icelandic airports currently remain open, authorities say.

British Airways announced it was keeping the situation "under close observation", but that all its flights were continuing to operate normally for now.

Shannon became "Terminal 6" on 20th April 2010 when in a "last throw of the dice" the ash cloud forced the diversion of 5 British Airways flights.

Image and Text by Malcom Nason

4540894658_0e767b5c88_z.jpg

Advertisement