Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book of Kells and the people in Meath

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Jam wrote: »
    Eggs and baskets, eh? That sort of thing?

exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

They allowed articulated trucks to drive within inches of the Cross of Kells on a very small street within the town. The fumes from cars and trucks was wrecking it anyway but one day a woman driving a minibus hit it and knocked the top of it off.

Ruu will verify this. :cool:

In short: No, they are tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Is anyone else, when reading Seanchai's posts, imagining that he has a posh English accent?

No? Just me? k :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭teol

The-Rigger wrote: »
    They allowed articulated trucks to drive within inches of the Cross of Kells on a very small street within the town. The fumes from cars and trucks was wrecking it anyway but one day a woman driving a minibus hit it and knocked the top of it off.

Ruu will verify this. :cool:

In short: No, they are tools.

+1

Yes, and then they moved it to the front of the courthouse. The protective glass is now caked in dirt and it looks like a wreck. They also don't show off St Colmcille's House at all. You have to call up some biddy to get a key. They should have made an effort with what they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭WildSaffron

Oh the superior Dubs.

Breaks my bleeding heart.

I wish people would read before they post (that is if you can read an article indepth and not just stutter over the headlines....)

Kells wants ONE volume back. Would not make any difference to Trinity whatsoever but would open up tourism in Kells, Trim, Athboy, Navan, and the whole Boyne Valley.

This country needs more tourism and tourists.

We can look after the book - we did for 800 years. The biggest damage that occurred to it was when it was at Trinity and that bookmaker divided it into 4 volumes - chopped off a lot of the edges. Pretty barbaric.

That's Dublin for you!:D

Looking after the Book is not rocket science - we have lots of bright people - trained in heritage and cultural preservation - give the people the jobs and stop them emigrating.

We would like the volume that has the land charters relating to Kells in it from back in the 12th century - that's relevant to the area.

Now - see how I tried to make this post really simple so you people up in Dublin could read it and understand it?

>> Feeling all big hearted and kind over here :p

Anyway - it was stolen and presented to Trinity by a senior officer in Cromwell's army in return for his post as Vice Chancellor of Trinity College. Henry Jones. 1661. Trading in stolen goods!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,517 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

We can look after the book - we did for 800 years.

Not really when you just gave it away :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Oh the superior Dubs.

I wish people would read before they post (that is if you can read an article indepth and not just stutter over the headlines....)

Kells wants ONE volume back. Would not make any difference to Trinity whatsoever but would open up tourism in Kells, Trim, Athboy, Navan, and the whole Boyne Valley.

We can look after the book - we did for 800 years. The biggest damage that occurred to it was when it was at Trinity and that bookmaker divided it into 4 volumes - chopped off a lot of the edges. Pretty barbaric.

Looking after the Book is not rocket science - we have lots of bright people - trained in heritage and cultural preservation - give the people the jobs and stop them emigrating.

We would like the volume that has the land charters relating to Kells in it from back in the 12th century - that's relevant to the area.

Now - see how I tried to make this post really simple so you people up in Dublin could read it and understand it?

Anyway - it was stolen and presented to Trinity by a senior officer in Cromwell's army in return for his post as Vice Chancellor of Trinity College. Henry Jones. 1661. Trading in stolen goods!!!

You're not getting it back.

You're not getting it back.

Oh ye of little faith. Watch this space. We're not giving up and we're not going away.

Oh the superior Dubs.

Your post reads as if it wer4e written by an immature 8 year old... from Kells.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Your post reads as if it wer4e written by an immature 8 year old... from Kells.

pfffft ....If you are to criticise my post at least learn to spell. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It's quite obviously a typo. You come off as an extremely petty individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I say this from the bottom of my heart - Meath and the people from it, especially those in Kells*, should shut the f*ck up, you live in a shít hole and you're all boring bástards

* = I say everyone, I mostly mean the people I used to work with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I doubt people in Meath would even know what a book is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

What's the point in only getting one volume back though?

Do you honestly think tourists are going to check out the first three parts in Trinity, one page a day, then travel to Kells for the thrilling final chapter?

I do get petty around the Dublin attitude about people in County Meath.

If you take into account that the Book was finished in Kells, the level of craftsmanship involved in it, the contemporary craft work in the 4 Celtic crosses, the Kells Crozier, the Book Shrine of the Cathach of the O'Donnells and the Round Tower, along with souterraines etc - it shows the skills of this part of Meath.

And where are they all? Book of Kells - Dublin - Book Shrine - Dublin - Donore Hoard - Dublin - Kells Crozier - British Museum. I am sure if the Round Tower were movable it would be in Dublin too.

Not all tourists want to go to Dublin. The Boyne Valley is the richest in Irish heritage and the trend for FIT travellers is to visit areas of heritage. A volume of the Book back home would make sense for all types of reasons. A volume of the Book of Kells with the land charters written in it relating to Kells would make especial sense - these town lands referred to are still identifiable.

This morning I have a coach load of French tourists who want to visit Kells. And the part of Kells where the ancient Greek Olympics originated. Then in the afternoon I am going to take them to tombs - 800 years older than Newgrange.

Would it not be fantastic if - when I show them the house where the Book of Kells was finished - that they could see a volume of it too?

Petty? I think not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

so who wasnt disappointed when they saw it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭paulski999

If you take into account that the Book was finished in Kells, the level of craftsmanship involved in it, the contemporary craft work in the 4 Celtic crosses, the Kells Crozier, the Book Shrine of the Cathach of the O'Donnells and the Round Tower, along with souterraines etc - it shows the skills of this part of Meath.

And where are they all? Book of Kells - Dublin - Book Shrine - Dublin - Donore Hoard - Dublin - Kells Crozier - British Museum. I am sure if the Round Tower were movable it would be in Dublin too.

Not all tourists want to go to Dublin. The Boyne Valley is the richest in Irish heritage and the trend for FIT travellers is to visit areas of heritage. A volume of the Book back home would make sense for all types of reasons. A volume of the Book of Kells with the land charters written in it relating to Kells would make especial sense - these town lands referred to are still identifiable.

This morning I have a coach load of French tourists who want to visit Kells. And the part of Kells where the ancient Greek Olympics originated. Then in the afternoon I am going to take them to tombs - 800 years older than Newgrange.

Would it not be fantastic if - when I show them the house where the Book of Kells was finished - that they could see a volume of it too?

Petty? I think not.

Here Here, yes of course the OPW would have to be involved and ensure one of the volumes (on a revolving basis) could be seated in the Heritage Centre (old courthouse) in a secure environment. Who actually owns it, Trinity or the people of Ireland, methinks the government if interested in promoting tourism, could see its way in getting one of the volumes loaned out to Kells T.C. via OPW. With Newgrange, Hill of Tara, Knowth, Loughcrew cairns closeby, etc it would entice visitors to the area. Why can't it be shared? Win-win for everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

paulski999 wrote: »
    Here Here, yes of course the OPW would have to be involved and ensure one of the volumes (on a revolving basis) could be seated in the Heritage Centre (old courthouse) in a secure environment. Who actually owns it, Trinity or the people of Ireland, methinks the government if interested in promoting tourism, could see its way in getting one of the volumes loaned out to Kells T.C. via OPW. With Newgrange, Hill of Tara, Knowth, Loughcrew cairns closeby, etc it would entice visitors to the area. Why can't it be shared? Win-win for everyone...

Eh I thought Trinity owned it...like i get that anything dug up in ireland is property of Ireland but the book of kells wasn't...ok it was stolen from a monasry and then gifted to Trinity...however much you disagree with the theft i think after 350 years I kinda presumed it was theirs officially...like do they not have all the registered trade marks of it??

Also Wildsafron your whole "Looking after the Book is not rocket science" does not exactly fill me with hope...ye don't seem to have put much thought into it...when I went to see the book I got talking to one of the keepers and it seems to me alot of work and effort goes into keeping a 1200 year old book in a readable condition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Maybe those monks weren't from Meath but just lived there. And for last few hundred years meath people have been claiming skills for Meath when in fact it could have been a Corkman, Galwayman and a Dublinman who did the work??

/Stirs pot again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

This morning I have a coach load of French tourists who want to visit Kells. And the part of Kells where the ancient Greek Olympics originated.

I have a feeling I'm going to regret this, but could we have a source for this rather unlikely claim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    What claim have trinity got on it?

What claim do the people of Kells have? They didn't make it. Trinity has kept it safe for hundreds of years, give it to the people of Kells and they'll hire Tom's brother from down the road, to look after it and it will be ruined.

Petty? I think not.

Brother - I'm going to let you in on a little secret. The people of Dublin do not give a fiddler's either way about the people of Meath. They don't hate them, they don't love them - they're completely indifferent. There is no 'you and us.'

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭paulski999

How can Trinity own it?? Cromwell sent it to Dublin for "safe keeping" Trinity use it for commercial gain, as Kells would do..

From the Irish Times letters page:

http://www.irishtimes.com/letters/index.html#1224303499557
    Demand for return of Book of Kells

• Sir, – In demanding the return of the Book of Kells (Home News, August 31st), it is a pity that the town of Kells does not make more of the magnificent treasures that it already possesses. I am thinking of the four ancient crosses, embellished with animal and figure sculpture, which are far easier for the public to examine than the microscopic detail in the painted manuscript.
      The monastery at Kells was a great centre of stone sculpture: why is this not heralded on the approach to the town? Some of the monuments are not easy to find, so why is there no dedicated walking trail and why no special parking area for visitors?
      Once in Kells, information about the monuments is almost nonexistent; no word, for example, about the remarkable “unfinished” cross, which tells us more about the processes of carving and construction than any other high cross in the country; no word either about “St Columba’s House”, the 11th century (?) church with its ancient stone roof still intact. Nor is there any obvious concern with conservation (in recent years, for example, a tree has been allowed to spread its branches over the famous “Tower cross”).
      Sadly, the visitor leaves Kells with no sense that any of these great works are seriously cherished. Given a more pro-active approach, Trinity College might be asked to provide its visitors with information explaining the historic importance of the town, along with a note of how to get there (by public transport).
      Having seen the book in Dublin, a visit to Kells itself might then become an essential port of call. – Yours, etc,
      ROGER STALLEY,
      Professor of the History of Art (1987-2010),
      Trinity College Dublin,
      Dublin 2.

Advertisement