Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cervical Cancer Vaccine for every woman for only 300 euros.

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Just saw the link in Thaed's sig. Thanks. Will tell the mrs about this tonight.

Anyone know: Is this something that you could claim tax relief for with the Med-1 form? Would reduce the cost even further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I don't see why it would be different from any other medical cost in terms of claiming
    back on a med 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Is there much point in getting this at age 23? Smear test came back clear and have a long-term partner, but don't want to waste money preventing something that's already happened. Can they test you for HPV presence before giving it to you?

Such testing is possible but would be an extra charge but it is possible as the well woman
    clinic offers it.

Best bet would to to ring Charter Medical Group and see they can do both for you.
    Phone (01) 6579000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Fionnanc

Vaccination has eradicated smallpox, nearly eradicated polio. Measles, menigitis rates have fallen significantily due to vaccination. There was a measles outbreak in Dublin 5 years ago resulting in the death of 3 children and many more disabled, due to the false scare on MMR.
    There is still an open debate on the efficacy of the cervical cancer vaccine, and its duration of effect.
    Dr. Indy summarises it best and i think this needs to be repeated in bold +/- stickied.

"Remember ladies of the ladies lounge:

HPV Vaccination DOES NOT PROTECT AGAINST CERVICAL CANCER

It simply vaccinates against the commonest and most serious strains.

YOU STILL NEED SMEAR TESTS
    However, they are more likely to be clear if you are vaccinated.

DrIndy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Excuse this bump, a friend of mine was trying to find this thread today and failed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6639461.stm
    Oral sex linked to throat cancer

Scientists looked at tissue samples from patients
    A virus contracted through oral sex is the cause of some throat cancers, say US scientists.

HPV infection was found to be a much stronger risk factor than tobacco or alcohol use, the Johns Hopkins University study of 300 people found.

The New England Journal of Medicine study said the risk was almost nine times higher for people who reported oral sex with more than six partners.

But experts said a larger study was needed to confirm the findings.

HPV infection is the cause of the majority of cervical cancers, and 80% of sexually active women can expect to have an HPV infection at some point in their lives.

It is important for health care providers to know that people without the traditional risk factors of tobacco and alcohol use can nevertheless be at risk of oropharyngeal cancer
    Dr Gypsyamber D'Souza, study author

The Johns Hopkins study took blood and saliva from 100 men and women newly diagnosed with oropharyngeal cancer which affects the throat, tonsils and back of the tongue.

They also asked questions about sex practices and other risk factors for the disease, such as family history.

Those who had evidence of prior oral HPV infection had a 32-fold increased risk of throat cancer.

HPV16 - one of the most common cancer-causing strains of the virus - was present in the tumours of 72% of cancer patients in the study.

Risk factors

There was no added risk for people infected with HPV who also smoked and drank alcohol, suggesting the virus itself is driving the risk of the cancer.

Oral sex was said to be the main mode of transmission of HPV but the researchers said mouth-to-mouth transmission, for example through kissing, could not be ruled out.

Most HPV infections clear with little or no symptoms but a small percentage of people who acquired high-risk strains may develop a cancer, the researchers added.

Study author Dr Gypsyamber D'Souza said: "It is important for health care providers to know that people without the traditional risk factors of tobacco and alcohol use can nevertheless be at risk of oropharyngeal cancer."

Co-researcher Dr Maura Gillison said previous research by the team had suggested there was a strong link.

But she added: "People should be reassured that oropharyngeal cancer is relatively uncommon and the overwhelming majority of people with an oral HPV infection probably will not get throat cancer."

A vaccine which protects against cervical cancer caused by HPV strains 6, 11, 16 and 18, and also against genital warts is available and the researchers said the study provided a rationale for vaccinating both girls and boys.

But whether the vaccine would protect against oral HPV infection is not yet known.

Dr Julie Sharp, science information officer at Cancer Research UK, said: "There is conflicting evidence about the role of HPV, and this rare type of mouth cancer.

"As this was a small study, further research is needed to confirm these observations."

"We know that after age, the main causes of mouth cancer are smoking or chewing tobacco or betel nut, and drinking too much alcohol."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

and just a couple of days ago i was told that tea was linked to throat cancer (drinking it too hot, apparently).

*shakes fist at scientists*

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXFISH1

I have 2 daughters in second level,
    the younger is in 1st yr and has been offered the free cervical cancer vaccine, and without thinking too much about it, i signed the form for her to recieve it, and she recently has recieved the first of 3 doses.

However a couple of days later, my older daughter in 5th yr came home with a form stating that this company was administering the vaccine to 3,4,5,6th yrs for a charge of 300eu (normally 600eu), if they could get >25 students to sign up for it.
    I was happy to sign up for this until i asked her if many of her friends were going ahead with the vaccine, and to my surprise she said that most of them were not going to sign up for this vaccine. She said that many of her friends parents seen the vaccine as potentially unsafe.

I'm a little hesitant about what to do now.
    Surely this vaccine is safe, or it wouldn't have been released to the market.
    I also remember the public outcry when Minister Harney initially decided not to go ahead with the vaccination program, and I thought at the time that this must be a great vaccine.

I see that the last posts on this forum are over a year old and wondered if there are more recent experiences/opinions out there?
    Has anyone else here got this vaccine, or signed for their kids to have this vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Speak to your GP about it, FOXFISH1.

Personally speaking, if it were my daughter, I'd get her the vaccine in a heartbeat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 anne h.

It seems that it's fine for moderators of other contributers to reassure people enquiring about the safety/efficacy of this vaccine.

This is apparently not 'Off Topic'.

However if you are a dissenting voice who would like to discuss the very same issue of safety or efficacy, (the topic that's on the mind of most people who've found this thread), then you're told to go to the siberia that is 'Biology'or insultingly 'Conspiracy Theories' .....

I think that's a real pity...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Were it me, I'd sign up immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

anne h. wrote: »
    It seems that it's fine for moderators of other contributers to reassure people enquiring about the safety/efficacy of this vaccine.

However if you are a dissenting voice who would like to discuss the very same issue of safety or efficacy, (the topic that's on the mind of most people who've found this thread), then you're told to go to the siberia that is 'Biology'or insultingly 'Conspiracy Theories' .....

She may be a mod but she said 'personally speaking'

If someone said 'personally speaking I wouldn't give it to my daughter' they wouldn't be told to go elsewhere.

The thread title isn't about the safety of the vaccine, if you wanted to discuss that a science or conspiracy theory forum would obviously be the place to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

A GP in my hometown (Cavan) told me that herself and a few other doctors in the loacality have bought the vaccine (whether it's Gardasil or the other I really can't recall) and they're offering it to young women for cost price, which she quoted as €240.

If anyone wants more details I'd be glad to respond to any PMs.

I'm rarely home so it wouldn't suit me to take up that offer, as 3 visits are necessary, but I'm glad to know it's being offered in Dublin at a competitive price.

anne h. wrote: »

1) if you have a problem with a post, report it.

2) thinking that vaccines don't work or are a hoax or are used by the government for mind control etc etc is crap that belongs in Conspiracy Theories.

Have a nice day,

Xiney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

I got my vaccines done this and last year over 6 months at the age of 28/29 in France. 1st injection cost €126 and the follow ups cost about €40 each. I took Garadisil

There is Cervical Cancer in my family and I did all the research and the pharma companies believe it is benificial to women from 16- 50...meaning all women.

Sure I will still go for regular smear tests throughout my life. But im happy to have gotten something which "might" help later on in life.

I mention this, as if anyone is on Erasmus in other european countries etc, they might want to check out this vaccine at a cheaper price...

It needs to be refrigerated and used soon after purchase, so you cant buy it online or take it to other countries etc.

Regardless of what other people think of Jade Goody, she was the main reason that i definitely signed up and went to my GP and demanded I got the vaccine. She was only about 26 or 27 when she died and very quickly too.

In France the Vaccine is free to all women up to 26 years old (some posters have said if they are 23 is it worth getting, definitely, yes). I think all women should get this vaccine. I think its alot to expect the government to pay the cost.

Seriously if you were to get a pair of glasses etc for your eye sight you would pay €300+ for them. You could argue that glasses would not "solve" your eyesight, but they definitely "aid" your ability to see. Same with this vaccine, why should you compromise your health? It might not "solve" HPV if you take it later on in life, but it definitely "aids" and reduces the chances of getting it.

I come from Canada, where healthcare is free, so I hate having to pay for anything to do with my health here (considering taxes are higher here too)

That extends to my glasses - I just paid $8 usd for a pair online.

I might get the vaccine - but I will find a way to get it cheaper than €300 if I do! I literally can't afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Eefx

If ur not sexually active and want to get it, do u have to wait until u have all 3 injections to have sex???? does anyone know :/

Advertisement