Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Hooker in bottles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

steamsey wrote: »
    I hope this is the right place to post - though this might be helpful - I'm loving the Galway Hooker at the moment.

+1 on Deveneys Dundrum stocking it (but it's on the shelf so warm). I think it was €2.90 ish a bottle. Guy said they have not been stocking it for long and it is selling OK.

Redmonds in Ranelagh also do it, cold, for €3 a bottle I think it was.

It is amazing on draft (Peter's Pub - €5.20 a pint - not sure where else does it in Dublin) and nice from a bottle but there really is a considerable difference in draft vs bottle.

It is much nicer on draft alright, 5.20 is a bit steep, I think around 4.50 - 70 is average price, some other places that do it in dublin are:

The Bull and Castle, Christ Church, Dublin 2
    The Porterhouse, Temple Bar, Dublin
    The Porterhouse, Nassau St, Dublin
    Anseo, Camden Street, Dublin 2
    Ryans of Parkgate Street, Dublin 7
    The Palace, Fleet Street
    O'Neills, Suffolk Street
    Lucan County Bar, Lucan
    Pygmalion Bar, South William Street
    L. Mulligan Grocer, Stoneybatter
    Blue Bar, Skerries
    Sheary's, Crumlin
    Bank Bar, College Green
    Extreme Pizza Rathmines
    Against the Grain, Wexford Street
    Whelans, Wexford Street
    Doheny and Nesbitt, Baggot Street
    The Cobblestone, Smithfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

It is amazing on draft (Peter's Pub - €5.20 a pint - not sure where else does it in Dublin) and nice from a bottle but there really is a considerable difference in draft vs bottle.

agree. i've had it from a bottle and on draught, one right after the other, and the draft is better IMO, at least in my local.
    however, it's still very nice and welcome in the bottle and will hopefully win the beer new fans in places where it's not avail. on draft

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

The Porterhouse, Temple Bar, Dublin

Are you sure about that one ? I don't remember seeing it on tap the last few time I've been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

LaBaguette wrote: »
    Are you sure about that one ? I don't remember seeing it on tap the last few time I've been there.

Last time I was there a month ago or so it was still on tap there

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

Nevermind my previous post, whilst cleaning out the wallet I found proof that it was sold there on the 2nd of August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

For anyone interested, I picked up a bottle of this in Bradly's on North Main Street in Cork today.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Have these disappeared?

Haven't seen them in any offie for the last two months

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Zymurgist wrote: »
    Have these disappeared?

Drinkstore.ie still do it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I hope this is the right place to post - though this might be helpful - I'm loving the Galway Hooker at the moment.

+1 on Deveneys Dundrum stocking it (but it's on the shelf so warm). I think it was €2.90 ish a bottle. Guy said they have not been stocking it for long and it is selling OK.

Redmonds in Ranelagh also do it, cold, for €3 a bottle I think it was.

€5.20 a feckin pint I'd want a hooker along with it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭toffeeshel

Zymurgist wrote: »
    Have these disappeared?

Kelly's in Clontarf, Grapevine Glasnevin and Kilbarrack, and Londis The Rise Glasnevin now stocking it.
    Company I work for have just started selling it and will update when new outlets stock it.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dont like GH on draft, as in, I really dont like it, find the flavour very unpleasant. How different is it bottled, any chance i"ll like it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Any chance i"ll like it? :D
    Nope. It's a little more subtle, but same delicious flavour. ;)

On sale in the strand off-licence Fairview from today, and will be in CarryOut Clongriffen before the weekend.

In Jus de Vin Portmarnock from today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

Probus off-licence on Fenian Street, Dublin (in-between Westland Row and Holles St) has G.Hooker bottles as part of a 4 for €10 deal.

Lovely stuff, but I think the Carlow guys IPA is that bit better in bottles. Saying that, I've had G.Hooker on tap in Against the Grain and found it nicer than the bottled variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

donaghs wrote: »
    Probus off-licence on Fenian Street, Dublin (in-between Westland Row and Holles St) has G.Hooker bottles as part of a 4 for €10 deal.

Lovely stuff, but I think the Carlow guys IPA is that bit better in bottles. Saying that, I've had G.Hooker on tap in Against the Grain and found it nicer than the bottled variety.

Is that O'Hara's Pale Ale? It's quite nice yes, but Galway Hooker has become one of my favourite beers, though I've only had it on tap. I'll have to try it in bottles, 4 for €10 is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

Does any one know any other off-licence beside the The Blue Note that sells bottles of Galway hooker in the Galway area.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Falconire wrote: »
    Does any one know any other off-licence beside the The Blue Note that sells bottles of Galway hooker in the Galway area.

Joyces Supermarket in Knocknacarra, sell Galway Hooker 500ml btls. Thats where i get my fix!
    I love there off-licence its surprising to say the least !

Spar Castleforbes Rd, Gibneys off-licence in Malahide, and Fresh in Smithfield now stocking Hookers.

The Wine Well in Dunboyne and Pricecutter Skerries selling (pimping!) Hookers from today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Chrome.ie

Available in Cork at Galvin's Drinks Cash & Carry on Bandon Road www.galvinswines.ie
    Little birdie tell's me that they are the new distributers for Munster and will soon be available in all their Off Licences. Happy Day's

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Chrome.ie wrote: »
    Available in Cork at Galvin's Drinks Cash & Carry on Bandon Road www.galvinswines.ie
    Little birdie tell's me that they are the new distributers for Munster and will soon be available in all their Off Licences. Happy Day's

And in The Abbot's and Bradley's @ 4 for €10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

donaghs wrote: »

Lovely stuff, but I think the Carlow guys IPA is that bit better in bottles.

I agree. Galway is a great beer but O'Hara's IPA is slightly better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I agree. Galway is a great beer but O'Hara's IPA is slightly better.

Apples and oranges really, but I'd agree that I prefer O'Hara's IPA too.
    I think hooker in bottles is a lot nicer than draft hookier though.

I've noticed that I prefer just about every Irish Mirco Brew from bottles over their draft version.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Chrome.ie wrote: »

Thanks Chrome, just got it in Carry Out on the bandon road across from lennoxs there. Tasted it at a host of beerfests on draught and loved it but the bottles are even better, had a couple at the weekend in the crane lane and the bodega. Really crisp and fresh. 2.99 each or 4 for 10 I think, way better than paying a tenner for 5 or 6 cans of the usual muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Just spotted bottles on sale in SuperValu on the Ballybane Road in Galway City. Wonder does this mean they'll be available in other branches or is it just because the store is in Galway??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Just spotted bottles on sale in SuperValu on the Ballybane Road in Galway City. Wonder does this mean they'll be available in other branches or is it just because the store is in Galway??

I'd imagine they'll be in all Supervalu shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Haven't seen them in Super Valu in Dublin yet but Super Valus tend to do a good beer selection so I wouldn't be surprised to see them pop up soon.

Haven't seen them in Super Valu in Dublin yet but Super Valus tend to do a good beer selection so I wouldn't be surprised to see them pop up soon.

Super Valu's can buy limited amounts outside of Musgraves. It's up to the store owner what they buy. Super Valu Balbriggan have ordered Hooker- it should be in store soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The Supervalu on Aston Quay used to have a great selection of beers. Seems to have cut back on the selection, and they don't appear to carry any Irish beers apart from the almost ubiquitous (not that I'm complaining) O'Hara's range.

Advertisement