Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fitness Activities to remain as active as possible

• 29-09-2014 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

If I may, mods feel free to move if you need to.

Okay so long story short I’m facing into spinal surgery next year and spinal arthritis has started to set in. For past two years since I was thrown off my bike I’ve been unable to even run or swim and need pain-killers when even just heading into work with my subsequent injuries and the flippin’ pain...

So, What sporting activities would you undertake when main aim being: looking for fun activities that keep me outdoors; fit and active before increased pain-relief is needed and then of course keeping weight down/off to keep pressure off my back. Since May this year I used my #100happydays to try new activities incl kayaking, body-boarding, horse-riding(once) to name a few. Don’t want to look back in 10-years wondering why not, when I could. Pilates has been recommended for me so might try the next available class when I can.

Now, I walk every second day but it gets tedious and use the bike in the gym the odd time if I never made it for an outdoors walk. Before any long cycle I take a pain-killer which carries me upto 100km once I eat well with the pain-killer (make me drowsy) and remain hydrated throughout my cycle but can’t do this distance all that often any more unlike before these injuries (last-time being July this year for the Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle) but I’m looking for ideas on what sporting activities you would under-take, expecting pain to increase as time goes on and only way to treat is surgery which I can’t have until end of 2015 at earliest.

I am watching my caloric-intake so it’s only activities I am looking for info on. I am someone who done a Charity 10,000ft free-fall Skydive so any and all activities you recommend would be appreciated and not throw me.

I will be looking at a 5-7months recovery after surgery so once my fitness levels are good going in, I’ll be more confident mentally in my recovery once it’s over which is another aspect I need to focus on.

Many Thanks in advance,
    Kerry4sam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

If you're not obsessed with distance, keep up cycling on the road maybe with a mountain bike. It's a good workout and strengthens your back, and not much impact unlike running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Just to clarify you aren't looking for activities that rehab the lower back but moreso stuff that is low impact and doesn't lead to pain? Feck I have an ok back and staying in a racing position on road bike for more than 40 mins isn't fun :D. How about hillwalking? You mentioned kayaking, if you are able to manage the torsion and twisting with that then stand up paddle boarding lessons could be something to look at for the craic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Definitely try Pilates - it is often recommended for backs and aside from that is imo a great activity. Some studios also have barre Pilates (I think i have the name right) which is a mix of Pilates and ballet - something different!

Swimming is about as low impact as you can get if you have a pool nearby or are brave enough to swim in the sea as we approach winter.

I know you said walking can be tedious but try liven it up with different routes or dragging friends along too.

Dance classes - could be anything from salsa to ballroom to hip hop!

Rock climbing and/or abseiling...not sure how your back might find it but is great fun!

Other stuff that springs to mind although I am not sure of feasibility of them all: sailing; diving; hill walking; yoga; throwing ball or frisbee around the park; martial arts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

^^^ Thanks to much everyone. Simply Wonderful Advice and Ideas,

Thanks again,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement