Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest let down in a game?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Platforming sections of Half-Life - abandoned the game because of them.

Episodic follow-ups to Half-Life 2.

But anyone saying either of those games were anything other than excellent is nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you buy a Tekken game expecting a good game then you're doing it wrong.

What?

The Tekken series is great.

Probably the most popular fighting game series in the world.

Doesn't get to be that by being bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

What?

The Tekken series is great.

Probably the most popular fighting game series in the world.

Doesn't get to be that by being bad.

If you're 15 and own a PS1. :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Batman: Arkham Asylum. Great to finally see a game which does justice to the character. Only things that were wrong with it IMO were the boss fights which amounted to little more than throwing batarangs and dodging and the way each part of the game was either invisible predator mode or standard combat.

Batman: Arkham City. Thought it was quite well executed in general except that the boss fights which were even worse than the previous game. I remember getting to Mr. Freeze and thinking that this would be a great chance to use my mind to figure out ways to stun him before the BatComputer spoonfeeds me instructions on how to beat him.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Batman: Arkham Asylum. Great to finally see a game which does justice to the character. Only things that were wrong with it IMO were the boss fights which amounted to little more than throwing batarangs and dodging and the way each part of the game was either invisible predator mode or standard combat.

Batman: Arkham City. Thought it was quite well executed in general except that the boss fights which were even worse than the previous game. I remember getting to Mr. Freeze and thinking that this would be a great chance to use my mind to figure out ways to stun him before the BatComputer spoonfeeds me instructions on how to beat him.
    Wasn't there an option to turn hints on/off or am I imagining that? Either way, I didn't get any hints!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I remember getting a message from Oracle. It's been a while I'll admit but for the game to show you every single way was a bit disheartening.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Shryke wrote: »
    If you're 15 and own a PS1. :p

Seriously? The Tekken series has sold at least 40 million units since 1994!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Exactly.

I don't play the Tekken games seriously or on any kind of competitive level, but to suggest they're bad games is just ludicrous.

Every bit as good as Virtua Fighter and Soul Calibur, it's two main 3D fighting game rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'd be another one who was disappointed with Halflife 2 when it came out. It was a grand game, but wasn't great, and definitely wasn't a patch on the first game, IMO. I had played the leaked alpha and they stripped some great ideas from it and left a fairly generic shooter (that does have it's moments, though). There were plenty of physics puzzles that were taken out and replaced with the same see-saw puzzle over and over again. There's a book called Half-Life: Raising The Bar, which is about the development of both games and is a really interesting read, and gives good insight into a lot that was taken out of the game.

Bioshock was another that didn't do much for me, but I think that was because I wanted it to be System Shock 3. It had a good twist at the end, but that wasn't a patch on the one half way through System Shock 2. ;)

But the two biggest let downs for me, ones which actually made die a little inside were Deus Ex 2 and Dragon Age 2. DE2 isn't a bad game, it just didn't have a chance to live up to the first game. And there were quite a few design and plot decisions that really sucked the fun out of it.

Dragon Age 2 on the other hand, has little to redeem itself, IMO. I thought it was just awful. I don't think there was anything about it that I liked. And what makes it worse is that the designers were loudly proclaiming that they were listening to their fans and were going to take everything they loved and build on them. Instead they just removed them and expanded all the crap. And it's worrying that they've loudly proclaimed that they're listening to the fans again and will build on what they loved for Dragon Age 3. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I remember getting a message from Oracle. It's been a while I'll admit but for the game to show you every single way was a bit disheartening.

After just finishing it a while ago, i'll confirm there is a Batcomputer part which shows you the 9(?) different ways to damage him, but it's completely optional to view it. Yes, Batman and Oracle urge you to check, but you don't have to. The Mr. Freeze boss battle was one of my favourites, it wasn't 2 or 3 different attackes, it was 6 or 7 different attacks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Gods, yea, I forgot about DA:2. The first one didn't really interest me, not my sorta game. Had played a demo of the second and thought "hmmm, they've gone more 'hack n slash' with this and less fiddly character management" and so was looking forward to giving it a go. Then of course the PC version didn't support a controller (and this game really needed it), which is absolute horse****. So I had to stop after about a half an hour. The only redeeming feature was that I got a free copy of Mass Effect 2 with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

humanji wrote: »

Bioshock was another that didn't do much for me, but I think that was because I wanted it to be System Shock 3. It had a good twist at the end, but that wasn't a patch on the one half way through System Shock 2. ;)
    I don't think I got more than an hour out of Bioshock for much the same reasons. I really, really want a System Shock 3. SS2 was the first PC game I ever bought and I'd never played anything like it before and I don't think anything has beaten it since. What was that thing in Bioshock, adam or something? That just annoyed me and I stuck to guns for the short time I played it. Obviously I'm not criticising Bioshock since I've barely played it. It just wasn't what I wanted it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, I kind of feel guilty for being disappointed by Bioshock. It wasn't a bad game and looked absolutely beautiful. You could tell a lot of love went into it, but it just wasn't what I hoped it was.

Another I just remembered was Dawn Of War 2. I loved the first game and was expecting the sequel to be a bigger and better version. But then changed so much of it to a different type of game. I remember actually hating it when it first came out, but have since replayed it and it's great fun. I just hoped for what I wanted and not what the those selfish developers wanted! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Actually, pretty much all of id's stuff post late 90s I'd class as one big let down. Which is a shame, just a company who haven't handled the transition(s) to newer generations well (in game design terms.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Bioshock was definitely a big letdown, but like a lot of people I was expecting more of a System Shock game, and Bioshock was a poor man's System Shock. Decent combat, uninspired plasmids, and a pretty poor story that gets docked even more points because of the stupid and overused
    "I, Andrew Ryan, am your father"
    cliché. It wasn't a bad game, just very average and very underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,541 ✭✭✭✭briany

Far Cry 2 was the biggest pile of dung vs. what was rightly expected of it. Had absolutely none of the charm of the first and smacked of lazy game design. Once I saw checkpoints that automatically replenished themselves with enemies the moment you got out of sight, and identical ones at that, I knew that thing wasn't going to last long. I haven't had so much fun shooting the same ten guys over and over (and over) since playing Western Outlaw:Wanted Dead or Alive. /s

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I can't believe so many people bitch about bioshock not being system shock 3... It's different IP, why would you want it to be system shock 3. It has different setting, time, environment , Guns.

I am pissed of at modern warfare 3, because i expected it to be battlefield 5.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can't believe so many people bitch about bioshock not being system shock 3... It's different IP, why would you want it to be system shock 3. It has different setting, time, environment , Guns.

In terms of gameplay it was a massive step backwards from a game that was 10 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Biggest letdown?

Dark Souls...

KOA: Reckoning - Really enjoyed the game, up until the big battle at Rathir, then the game got incredibly easy. Flew through the entire Klurikon & Alabastra sections. The scenery just became incredibly dull, almost lazy.

Then, the final boss fight. Really really poor!

Biggest letdown?

Dark Souls...

Explain.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    In terms of gameplay it was a massive step backwards from a game that was 10 years old.

how it could be a massive step backwords if its a brand new IP?

people need to take off rose tinted glasses and see bioshock as a new IP, not a sequal. It is more then just weapons and plasmids. The setting is a big part of the game.

i love fallout 2 and i still love it over fallout 3 and NV, but its still a dated game. Lots of my love to it is due to fun i had with it back then, not what it is now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

how it could be a massive step backwords if its a brand new IP?

people need to take off rose tinted glasses and see bioshock as a new IP, not a sequal. It is more then just weapons and plasmids. The setting is a big part of the game.

You obviously haven't played System Shock 2 because Bioshock is pretty much the spiritual successor to System Shock 2. Even the story has lots of similarities, from the reveal halfway through to the struggle between between two ideologies. In fact in Ken Levine's own words he said that Bioshock was becoming a nightmare project so to fast track development he decided to make Bioshock a remake of System Shock 2. That's from the project lead himself.

Bioshock is a fantastic game but I played system shock 2 a few years after it and could see the complaints leveled at it were true, SS2 is a much better game. I think the only big problem is the handling of the plasmids which is too streamlined compared to the excellent RPG system of SS2 where the choices you make make a big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I never finished System Shock 2. It was good but it just didn't hold my interest until the end (like most games to be honest). These days if I get to the end of a game and it doesn't feel like a chore whatsoever at any point then its an exceptionally good game. I played Bioshock from start to finish without putting it down. Pacing is huge for me and Bioshock nails it. I thought it was a fantastic game. I never really associated the two whatsoever when I played them. They were released too far apart in a genre that looks dated quickly. System Shock 2 is far slower in every aspect. You're not alone ShadowHearth!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Explain.

Apologies, I was hoping to get an angrier reaction!!!
    The only let-down is that I've to wait to get my hands on the DLC for PS3!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

biggest let down is that they didn't do a 3rd Knights of the Republic game before they swanned off into online territory loved the 1st two

Apologies, I was hoping to get an angrier reaction!!!
    The only let-down is that I've to wait to get my hands on the DLC for PS3!

That is a shame. They probably think we'll all buy the game again for PC in order to access the extra stuff.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement