Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 2K12

Options
  • 04-08-2011 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

It'll be very, very difficult for them to top what was arguably the best sports game ever made in NBA2K11, but I'm sure they'll give it a good go.

Release date is 4th October.

http://www.gamebandits.com/news/nba-2k12-latest-additions-to-the-nbas-greatest-roster-11354/
    NBA 2K12 just keeps getting better and better. 2K sports have just announced that Karim Abdul- Jabbar and Julius Erving A.K.A Dr. J will appear along side other NBA legends Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird on the roster for NBA 2K12′s “NBAs Greatest” mode.

In NBA 2K12′s “NBAs Greatest” mode gamers will be able to take basketball’s classic moments and make them their own as the mode includes fifteen retro NBA teams from various seasons. But don’t worry, these teams and players are not only confined to playing against each other, they can also be unlocked to play against current teams so gamers can certainly have a lot of fun experimenting with the greatest players of all time and current NBA stars such as LA Lakers’ Kobe Bryant.

There is a lot of buzz surrounding this release and as the release date draws ever closer we can expect to hear many more juicy nuggets of information from the game’s developer 2K Sports as they start to hype up their title to fever pitch. NBA 2K12 is due to hit the shops on October 4 and will be available with three different covers. Fans will have to decide between hall of famers Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson when they come to purchase one of the most highly anticipated games of the year.

Comments

Paully D wrote: »
    It'll be very, very difficult for them to top what was arguably the best sports game ever made in NBA2K11, but I'm sure they'll give it a good go.

Wouldn't really agree with that.

I'm sure any changes will improve the game over the last edition, kind of like what you get with FIFA each year.
    So I'd expect 12 to be even better.

I think though it would be very difficult for EA's version to challenge it in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Havent really been into basketball games since the days of NBA Jam on the PS1. But this looks like it could all change. Remember seeing it in action from this years E3 and gotta say the PS Move compatibility looks pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

All I want are little improvements in My Player and i'll be happy. I hate the Move/Kinect BOLLIX!!! It means the devs are wasting valuable time implementing a gimmicky Wii feature when they should be working on core gameplay improvements.

I am officially fu*king hyped for this game!

New menu screen looks a hundred times better as well. Apparently Friday will bring full My Player info.

17716.jpg

My Player this year sounds brilliant! Dev Insight tells ya all about it on link below.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150285386202267

I like the 'only play key games' option. I like playing 8-10 minute quarters to get the most out of it but the season is so long and so many other games to play, the only key games will be mor sutiable to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

This might be my favourite new feature if it makes people actually play defence, rather than hand it over to the AI:
    User-Controlled Defender
    In competitive play, be it online or offline, there is always that never ending dispute over opponents never wanting to guard the ball. Many users just don’t want (or are afraid) to be tasked with keeping in front of the ball handler and preventing penetration. They end up controlling and offball defender and simply camp out down low to defend the inside shot. Even during our friendly office tournaments, the majority of the participants played this way. We wanted to address this for 2K12. Playing onball should not be something that’s feared.
    Now, we give you an added incentive to play the ball on defense. For one, user-controlled defenders will impact the shot percentages more than an AI-controlled one. When you control the defender and perform hands up defense or jump up to contest, your shot release defense will be higher than just leaving it to your AI teammates.

Link

Nice to have settings for how to deal with screens also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,074 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

raze wrote: »
    This might be my favourite new feature if it makes people actually play defence, rather than hand it over to the AI:

Link

Nice to have settings for how to deal with screens also.
    YES. I hate losing because of on ball D being much harder than letting the CPU do it. I've tried to let the CPU do it before and the game just gets boring.

One thing that really has to be toned down imo is the cut post move to the basket with the likes of Dwight Howard and other tall players and the defense not tracking them. People spamming that wrecked my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Dont know if I'll buy this on release, but I have to get it eventually. Picked up 2K11 when it dropped to €18.99 on Play.com and I'm hoping I can do the same with this one.

Demo is out tomorrow. Would love to get this day one to start on My Player but too many other games taking priority. Might wait til after Christmas, see if I can get it a bit cheaper.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Demo is out tomorrow. Would love to get this day one to start on My Player but too many other games taking priority. Might wait til after Christmas, see if I can get it a bit cheaper.
    I've gotten it on release the last 3 years. This is the priority ;) It's the only game I think I'm going to get in October, then MW3 and SR3 in November and then we'll see what the story is with everything else after Christmas for me I think.

• Advertisement

For me, Batman will be priority in October and then Ass creed and saints row 3 in november. I know I will just end up watching Chris Smoove vids of my player tho and will really wanna buy it!

I'm not near my xbox at the moment.

Is the demo out now?

Well 2K said on facebook its avaialable for XBOX now. Another site its available for ps3 as well but not on eu anyway. I'm having problems with my US account so can't check there.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ixm1980

Downloading demo now!

Let us know how it plays!

Let us know how it plays!
    I haven't actually enjoyed many of their demos. It all seems to come together in the main game though. Maybe it's just because you don't really get enough time to get to grips with it. That's one thing I really like about the 2k series. Despite bringing out a game every year each of them seems to have a very different feel to the last when you first play it.

Got the demo from the US PSN store. Quite underwhelming. I think I prefer the presentation of 2k11 - default camera view makes sprites seem smaller. Not much of a benefit of seeing more of the court.

Main thing about it is how much is missing - you can play as Mavs, against Heat, but not the other way round. No play-calling, no sliders, no defensive settings. Thanks to new control system I have no idea how to do a signature gather. AI players post up all over the court. And I hit a game freezing glitch - a defensive three second violation put me at the free throw line, but my player froze and wouldn't do anything. Also, no option to change difficulty - the demo is on a very low level, and it feels like threes are free with the Mavs. Also, without the commentators the presentation suffers greatly, and audio on dunks seems very subdued.

It's fine, but this demo wouldn't win me over if I didn't play last year's game.

He might sound like Cleveland Brown Jr, but Da Czar has done some good introductory videos to NBA 2k playbooks in previous years.

Interestingly, the plays in 2k12 branch into dribbles and passes. Stick with the video below and see a Mavs play which works Nowitski into three different possible positions depending on whether you think you'll get him open.

9.5/10 on IGN - http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1197538p1.html

The gamestop.ie website says its out here this Friday. Didn't think it was out here till the end of the month?

yupp, out friday alright. I'm still deciding if i'll get it on day one. I should get a good run at it until Batman comes out. Will have to trade dead island or deus ex tho. Mad to give the new My Player a lash!

• Advertisement

yupp, out friday alright. I'm still deciding if i'll get it on day one. I should get a good run at it until Batman comes out. Will have to trade dead island or deus ex tho. Mad to give the new My Player a lash!

Thinking the same myself. I'm playing Fifa 12 a lot because I only got it but i don't want the same situation as last year when it was sold out in Ireland shops a few weeks after release date and it was hard to pick up.

Didn't think it was out till the end of the month so my budget might have to be changed a bit :D

Chris Smoove is gonna have My Player vids up tomorrow, looking forward to them!

This is getting got Friday!

Looks like this is gonna be in short supply again. I called HMV and they said they don't think they will have it but will check. After checking, he said they will have 4 copies for each platform and thats it. Def gonna get it friday. Plus they will take dead island off ya for 40 euro towards trade in, mental price. I'd hate to get rid of dead island but it means 2k12 will only cost me a fiver on friday!

Looks like this is gonna be in short supply again. I called HMV and they said they don't think they will have it but will check. After checking, he said they will have 4 copies for each platform and thats it. Def gonna get it friday. Plus they will take dead island off ya for 40 euro towards trade in, mental price. I'd hate to get rid of dead island but it means 2k12 will only cost me a fiver on friday!
    ordered it off gamestop.ie. Hope to get it tomorrow as i chose express shipping which got me FIFA on thursday last week. This isn't that much of a priority game so i have my doubts but I have hope.

Liam O wrote: »
    ordered it off gamestop.ie. Hope to get it tomorrow as i chose express shipping which got me FIFA on thursday last week. This isn't that much of a priority game so i have my doubts but I have hope.
    Well it came today, first impressions are reasonably good, they have added a few new drills in my player mode which are good fun and the whole my player seems to go a bit smoother than last time when I lost interest quite early.

Have only played a bit of one online game (before that message saying 'an unexpected error has shown up and disconnected you') but from what I played there seemed to be much more of a focus on shooting rather than dunking and the pace of the game has slowed a bit.

Good overall but not a huge step away/up from last year from what I've played

This song opening it was a huge plus for me though :D

Lots of improvements over last year - AI seems to have stepped up a notch, both for CPU opponents and teammates running plays. The playbook overhaul is really impressive.

I was concerned about the control changes before I played it properly but I'm really liking some of the new stuff. Spin shots may be pointless, but putting a half spin dribble as a tap on the run button is much appreciated, and I'm looking forward to getting the new post moves down.

Haven't played online yet - my timing on blocking has gone out the window in the new game so I have no defence for the time being. But I took a look at the online menu - they seem to have got rid of lobbies and gone for matchmaking? I liked being able to look up stats on prospective opponents with the VIP Viewer last year, hopefully there's a way to do that in 2k12.

Only played the rookie showcase so far but was juggling between a C and C+. Big difference to my constant A+ in 2k11. Gonna replay it and try out that training camp. Plus that Greatest Mode sounds class so will be lashing into that as well. No real interes with online yet.

I love the new block animations. TTurbo and block and m yguy goes mental to swat it away.

Oh and a class thing happened in the 1st game. End of 1st quarter one of my guys shoots a three and misses. We get the rebound and its dished back out to the shooter. He lets it go and gets the buzzer beater. My team goes crazy like we just won the game and then the commentators start talking like it might have been after the buzzer. The ref walks over to a tv for a replay and it shows multiple angles of the ball still in the shooters hands when the clock hit 0.0 so the ref reverses the call. Brilliant!

Only played the rookie showcase so far but was juggling between a C and C+. Big difference to my constant A+ in 2k11. Gonna replay it and try out that training camp. Plus that Greatest Mode sounds class so will be lashing into that as well. No real interes with online yet.

I love the new block animations. TTurbo and block and m yguy goes mental to swat it away.

Oh and a class thing happened in the 1st game. End of 1st quarter one of my guys shoots a three and misses. We get the rebound and its dished back out to the shooter. He lets it go and gets the buzzer beater. My team goes crazy like we just won the game and then the commentators start talking like it might have been after the buzzer. The ref walks over to a tv for a replay and it shows multiple angles of the ball still in the shooters hands when the clock hit 0.0 so the ref reverses the call. Brilliant!
    Presumably not for you're team though ;)

• Advertisement

Ya but was class to see. replaying the showcase, I was getting to B- and B and at the end of the 3rd quarter we were onl losing by 2 (was losing by like 18. The other team got the ball after we scored and with 2 seconds left, the hurled the ball from their own 3 point line and it went in :eek: Never saw that land in 2k11. The comentators were going crazy, was wel funny. Had to head out and didn't get to finish the game so next one i'm just ploughing through and get rollingon my NBA career.

What teams did ye get signed to?
    Oh and are ye playing with AI calling plays? I have it turned off cuz I hated in 2k11 going on a fast break and and then my teammate stopping to running a play, was wel annoying. Maybe its fixed in this?

Advertisement