Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Feedback and Suggestions

Options
  • 23-11-2014 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

For total clarity, the off-topic thread can be used for users of the Xbox forum to discuss mostly anything, in a not so detailed manner. What that means is if you want to comment on a football match here, go for it. But don't forget we have actual Football forums, so turning this thread into a 10 page debate about inter-team politics isn't idea & would be better suited elsewhere :) So anything that regular users of this forum want to talk about, go for it. Threads like this have proven very successful & popular in other forums as it allows users who are used to interacting together, to talk about other subjects too, & so is good for the forum community.

Further, if there's no better suited thread for a post here, & it is Xbox related, that's fine too. The one year prizes MS are offering for example, seem to fit here better. As always, pm myself or FutureGuy is you don't understand or have any suggestions etc.

Feedback thread created, better to have the discussion in it's own thread at this point (!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Myrddin wrote: »
    For total clarity, this off-topic thread can be used for users of the Xbox forum to discuss mostly anything, in a not so detailed manner. What that means is if you want to comment on a football match here, go for it. But don't forget we have actual Football forums, so turning this thread into a 10 page debate about inter-team politics isn't idea & would be better suited elsewhere :) So anything that regular users of this forum want to talk about, go for it. Threads like this have proven very successful & popular in other forums as it allows users who are used to interacting together, to talk about other subjects too, & so is good for the forum community.

Further, if there's no better suited thread for a post here, & it is Xbox related, that's fine too. The one year prizes MS are offering for example, seem to fit here better. As always, pm myself or FutureGuy is you don't understand or have any suggestions etc.

no offense intended and I know you're spending a lot of time separating all the posts out to individual threads. but can we not have a thread where anything and everything goes. the natural flow of discussion is being killed as the nature of conversation is meandering. the ps4 forum has a mega thread where everything can be discussed all in one spot. could we have something like that here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Nolimits

no offense intended and I know you're spending a lot of time separating all the posts out to individual threads. but can we not have a thread where anything and everything goes. the natural flow of discussion is being killed as the nature of conversation is meandering. the ps4 forum has a mega thread where everything can be discussed all in one spot. could we have something like that here?

Agreed, sometimes threads go into interesting places when they go off topic.

Nolimits wrote: »
    Agreed, sometimes threads go into interesting places when they go off topic.

well, to the extent that its all xbox related anyway. but anything from games to deals to rumors etc would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Yeah I agree, this will more than likely be the main thread everyone will be following for xbox news about updates, game releases and the lot. Speaking for myself if I want a question answered quick I'm going to post in the most active xbox thread where my question is going to be answered the quickest.

As stone said the PS4 forum has a mega thread can't see why this cannot be the same and it will cut down the amount of work the mods have to do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I obviously also agree with the above :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

couldn't agree more
    this separate thread for everything, is killing any discussion and making this place inactive

Xbox One Mega thread polz :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I agree,

I feel like recently we're getting a good conversation going and then it's cut off. Its frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

I also agree with having a mega thread :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ah Myrddin, I feel sorry for you! No matter what happens here, you're not going to win. Either we end up with a messy Megathread that goes off on wild tangents for ages, or we're going to have multiple threads that will have to be cleaned out every once in a while.

I can definitely see the benefits of having the multiple threads, but I'm not sure how if you're able to change the culture here. Since the Xbox One thread started, it was more of a natural flow to the thread, I think people have just gotten used to posting anything in one thread.

Just so you don't feel unappreciated, I find that the modding on the Xbox forum to be excellent, just the threads issue is a bit confusing/divisive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sure why don't we just close the forum & keep an Xbox megathread in the Games forum at that rate? A thread where anything & everything goes is fine if there aren't already threads set up for those topics. The flow of discussion doesn't need to be killed or diverted, just have that discussion in the right threads & there won't be an issue. The headset thread is a nice example of a thread staying on topic, while keeping discussion flowing.

Why the need to have everything stuck in one big disaster of a thread that tries to cover everything from bargains to nat issues? It's a total mess. Honestly, we've a full dedicated forum for a reason. I don't understand why, like in every other forum on boards, users can't post in the appropriate thread? Yes the PS4 forum has a megathread, but as can be seen in that forum, the users there know they have a full forum & use it as intended...all other threads are active & healthy. That's not what is happening here, we've a full forum Where the users seem to want to cram all aspects of discussion into one thread.

It's not a great way of making information easy to find, read, keep track of, & we end up with the same information being touted time & again because nobody has seen it's already posted. This notion of posting any query into the busiest thread just so that it gets a faster response is a problem. Doing that is not using the forum the correct way, & not giving other threads the traffic their due. I've no problem with a megathread, but not at the expense of a dedicated forum.

• Advertisement

Sure why don't we just close the forum & keep an Xbox megathread in the Games forum at that rate? A thread where anything & everything goes is fine if there aren't already threads set up for those topics. The flow of discussion doesn't need to be killed or diverted, just have that discussion in the right threads & there won't be an issue. The headset thread is a nice example of a thread staying on topic, while keeping discussion flowing.

Why the need to have everything stuck in one big disaster of a thread that tries to cover everything from bargains to nat issues? It's a total mess. Honestly, we've a full dedicated forum for a reason. I don't understand why, like in every other forum on boards, users can't post in the appropriate thread? Yes the PS4 forum has a megathread, but as can be seen in that forum, the users there know they have a full forum & use it as intended...all other threads are active & healthy. That's not what is happening here, we've a full forum Where the users seem to want to cram all aspects of discussion into one thread.

It's not a great way of making information easy to find, read, keep track of, & we end up with the same information being touted time & again because nobody has seen it's already posted. This notion of posting any query into the busiest thread just so that it gets a faster response is a problem. Doing that is not using the forum the correct way, & not giving other threads the traffic their due. I've no problem with a megathread, but not at the expense of a dedicated forum.

Make life easier for people who post once in the sub forum and never come back but stop discussions for members who are actively trying to chat with each other about anything and everything xbox related.
    Theirs no flow in this sub forum, its constantly being broken up,
    at the end of the day the forum will just go dead.
    All were asking for is a megathread
    sure keep all the other threads if it makes you happy we just want to chat about random xbox ****e to each other :D
    I have to double check which thread I am in on this sub forum just to make sure I am talking about the topic incase I recieve an infraction for going off topic :pac:

Not to mention it would give you less work to do, you're constantly stressing about moving posts from one thread to another, make life easier for yourself. Its not messy it works, if questions are asked, we will answer them.
    Does not matter how many threads their is, their will always be new members who still post in the most active thread or create a new one altogether to get their answer.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Make life easier for people who post once in the sub forum and never come back but stop discussions for members who are actively trying to chat with each other about anything and everything xbox related.

It makes life easier for everyone, not just non regular users. This is observed all over boards, & can't be denied...it's what a forum is & why we have it.
    Theirs no flow in this sub forum, its constantly being broken up,
    at the end of the day the forum will just go dead.

Flow from what to what? Bargains to NAT issues? That's not flow, it's a mess.
    All were asking for is a megathread
    sure keep all the other threads if it makes you happy we just want to chat about random xbox ****e to each other :D

It's not what makes me happy, it's what's best for the forum & its users. One active thread with the same questions coming up time & again & no structure at all to it doesn't work, & will 100% make the forum go dead if left unchecked. I have zero issue with a megathread/general chat thread, just not at the expense of the rest of the forum. I'm open to suggestions about how we can have the best of both worlds...
    I have to double check which thread I am in on this sub forum just to make sure I am talking about the topic incase I recieve an infraction for going off topic :pac:

You must struggle all across boards then do you? Because that's how every other forum works. You don't post anything you want regardless of subject in any other forum because you can't be arsed using the right thread, so why do it here? Plus nobody has ever been infracted for doing this on this forum.
    Not to mention it would give you less work to do, you're constantly stressing about moving posts from one thread to another, make life easier for yourself. Its not messy it works, if questions are asked, we will answer them.

I don't mind work, but going around in circles I do mind. Users have been requested to just post in the right thread, surely that isn't too much to ask?
    Does not matter how many threads their is, their will always be new members who still post in the most active thread or create a new one altogether to get their answer.

Moving posts by new users who aren't familiar with a forum is an every day thing & not at all a problem. Doing it for regular members who, from what I'm reading, just can't be arsed using the proper threads, is a problem.

I hear what you're all saying, I really do. But a full forum just to house a general megathread isn't a model that works. I'm open to suggestions about how to have both a healthy forum where posts go in the right threads, & a megathread for general chat/info...ala the PS forum. What we have currently isn't working the same way, & is also a fairly new trend. A few months ago this wasn't an issue, so I'm confused why it is now.

It makes life easier for everyone, not just non regular users. This is observed all over boards, & can't be denied...it's what a forum is & why we have it.

Flow from what to what? Bargains to NAT issues? That's not flow, it's a mess.

It's not what makes me happy, it's what's best for the forum & its users. One active thread with the same questions coming up time & again & no structure at all to it doesn't work, & will 100% make the forum go dead if left unchecked. I have zero issue with a megathread/general chat thread, just not at the expense of the rest of the forum. I'm open to suggestions about how we can have the best of both worlds...

You must struggle all across boards then do you? Because that's how every other forum works. You don't post anything you want regardless of subject in any other forum because you can't be arsed using the right thread, so why do it here? Plus nobody has ever been infracted for doing this on this forum.

I don't mind work, but going around in circles I do mind. Users have been requested to just post in the right thread, surely that isn't too much to ask?

Moving posts by new users who aren't familiar with a forum is an every day thing & not at all a problem. Doing it for regular members who, from what I'm reading, just can't be arsed using the proper threads, is a problem.

I hear what you're all saying, I really do. But a full forum just to house a general megathread isn't a model that works. I'm open to suggestions about how to have both a healthy forum where posts go in the right threads, & a megathread for general chat/info...ala the PS forum. What we have currently isn't working the same way, & is also a fairly new trend. A few months ago this wasn't an issue, so I'm confused why it is now.

No need to have a dig at me, was a joke after all but any how, I would prefer a mega thread and so would most active forum users who participate in the xbox forum, simply providing my feedback

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Honestly trying to word this without it sounding overly critical but I think there's a bit too much hand-holding done and too many topics and threads being moved into bigger super-threads when they could stand alone as smaller threads. To be honest it kind of puts me off starting game discussions here and I do so in the main Games forum instead. I don't know if that's intentional and the desired effect is to ship off discussion about individual games to the main Games forum but if you look at the front page on the Xbox board, there's very little discussion of games. Again though, that could be intentional.

Also feel a bit more communication could be good, like when http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057241681&page=6 was closed with no warning and there's been no indication if it will be opened again or if people will now get infracted/banned for discussing regional marketplace stuff now. Maybe an insight into the process and a discussion about the decisions being taken would help?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Honestly trying to word this without it sounding overly critical but I think there's a bit too much hand-holding done and too many topics and threads being moved into bigger super-threads when they could stand alone as smaller threads. To be honest it kind of puts me off starting game discussions here and I do so in the main Games forum instead. I don't know if that's intentional and the desired effect is to ship off discussion about individual games to the main Games forum but if you look at the front page on the Xbox board, there's very little discussion of games. Again though, that could be intentional.

Also feel a bit more communication could be good, like when http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057241681&page=6 was closed with no warning and there's been no indication if it will be opened again or if people will now get infracted/banned for discussing regional marketplace stuff now. Maybe an insight into the process and a discussion about the decisions being taken would help?

It's actually quite interesting if you take a step back and look at it. I think that this generation of consoles has less true exclusives than any previously, and that means that most dedicated threads about games should really end up in the main games forum. That's what I've seen so far, and it's reflected in the fact that the Xbox forum has been a little quiet (IMO) in comparison.

A lot of the issues with the general thread were people who had just bought an Xbox One, and were now running into problems, meaning they'd come in and just post without regard to the thread. Now that the thread is gone, perhaps we should build an FAQ style thread, and sticky that. I think that a thread like that would catch a lot of the people asking the same questions over and over. (I'd be happy help out with a thread like that)

As to the mods shutting the regional discussion thread, there was a warning in there, near the start. It's also in keeping with what boards do on anything even nearing illegality (they're kept on their toes because of the Sean Sherlock debacle). Fair enough about the lack of clarity regarding discussion of the topic though, I'd suggest holding off on any discussion until they've cleared it up.

I can only speak on behalf of myself, but I loved the old General Chat thread, it made for a sort of central hub where you'd hear about upcoming releases, events, issues, etc. etc.
    Towards its end I got frustrated, as posts were constantly getting dispersed into their corresponding threads.

Then the off-topic thread went the same way. From this I can only infer that people want a thread like that.

The example that stands out to me most is the recent free trial of sunset overdrive. It was mentioned in the off topic thread, then promptly moved to the Sunset overdrive or the xbox gaming thread ( i cant remember which).
    I feel that compartmentalizing things to that extent is actually counter productive.
    I dont want a thread where its completely random, but a bit more leeway would be nice. Its one thing to have people argue over whether battlefield is better than COD in the bargain alerts thread, but a general anouncement that an xbox one exclusive is free to play as part of microsoft celebrating the platforms birthday in an off topic thread is hardly the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭dunworth1

what i feel lately is that looking through this forum has become harder
    i normally only get a couple of minutes here and there to check in on here
    but i find that i am missing stuff because it is being moved around.

i get email notifications but sometimes by the time i get to look it has moved
    i just find it a little frustrating having to go between various threads
    to talk about very similar things all relating to the one thing.

i put my vote in for the megathread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Why is the xbox one gen thread still closed anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I get the the moving of posts to the correct threads, and it was a big + in my book and made the forum easier to read imo but only if the relevant threads stayed on the 1st page so folks could see them and post to them. That said you need to PM some users some of the time to tell them discussions have been moved as on numerous occasions I've gone back to follow up on posts I've given advice to and had no idea which thread posts had been moved to.

closing the general discussion thread to have an off topic one was pointless imo as both seem to have the same discussion going on so a simple rename would have been best there.

I suggest an amnesty for not regular posters and the non movement of their posts / new threads from now until xmas to accommodate the usual influx of 'santy' questions perhaps ? :confused:

2mad2bemad, I wasn't having a dig, apologies if I came across as such.

Thanks all for the feedback, I'm reading it with interest & am mulling over some of the ideas. I'll get back to you later when I've some free time. Sorry for all this upheaval, & I appreciate your observations & feedback on it.

• Advertisement

2mad2bemad, I wasn't having a dig, apologies if I came across as such.

Thanks all for the feedback, I'm reading it with interest & am mulling over some of the ideas. I'll get back to you later when I've some free time. Sorry for all this upheaval, & I appreciate your observations & feedback on it.

No worries, You taking the time is appreciated.

Ok, I've had a good long think about things today & I think I see where you guys are coming from. When you talk about the flow of discussion being stopped, previously I didn't understand what you were talking about. I think now, I do. When you talk about the flow of discussion being stopped, are you referring to say a topic that comes up in the general chat thread, which gets discussed, someone then makes a point about a different aspect, & the conversation moves towards that point, then another, then another etc? I'd then arrive to the thread later on in the day & see posts about various different subjects & move them all accordingly which results in the killing of the conversation as you describe it.

Guys, it's a very valid observation if this is what you're getting at. From my perspective, as I touched on above, I'd arrive to the thread much later than the posts were made & see things going from one topic to the next, & think to myself "we have a thread for this", "we have a thread for that" etc, "why aren't users just having this conversation in the right thread?". Also, similar to my own perspective in that regard, is the perspective of a new user, who arrives to the forum & see's this lack of structure & could potentially put people off posting.

So what can we do about it? First off, we'll begin by reinstating the general chat thread (rapturous applause :D). I think I see now why you all want it back, whereas I didn't previously. Well, that's not exactly correct, I did see it's value, I just blamed it for the fractured nature of the conversation. So we'll bring it back to be the central hub again. However, is there any way we can have a conceited effort from the regulars here to try use the other threads where suitable? Those threads shouldn't be viewed as any 'less important', than a general thread, & if used as they should be, can be every bit as active as a megathread.

Having several popular threads being used correctly helps the forum to grow, & avoid stagnation and falling into disarray. The likes of bargain alerts, & gaming discussion should be easily posted about in their respective threads. So what do you say guys, can you work with me on this? :o
    CatInABox wrote: »
    It's actually quite interesting if you take a step back and look at it. I think that this generation of consoles has less true exclusives than any previously, and that means that most dedicated threads about games should really end up in the main games forum. That's what I've seen so far, and it's reflected in the fact that the Xbox forum has been a little quiet (IMO) in comparison.

A lot of the issues with the general thread were people who had just bought an Xbox One, and were now running into problems, meaning they'd come in and just post without regard to the thread. Now that the thread is gone, perhaps we should build an FAQ style thread, and sticky that. I think that a thread like that would catch a lot of the people asking the same questions over and over. (I'd be happy help out with a thread like that)

As to the mods shutting the regional discussion thread, there was a warning in there, near the start. It's also in keeping with what boards do on anything even nearing illegality (they're kept on their toes because of the Sean Sherlock debacle). Fair enough about the lack of clarity regarding discussion of the topic though, I'd suggest holding off on any discussion until they've cleared it up.

So very accurate & astute observations there, & I really like the sound of a catch all FAQ thread. Definitely I'd like to see something like that implemented, it could even replace our 'useful links' sticky by assimilating the info within. We can organise such a thread here in this one, so by all means, lets hear some ideas & everyone is welcome to pitch in :)

Regards the marketplace regional discussion thread, I thought the closing post in that thread explained our position sufficiently, perhaps not though. The thread is temporarily locked while we (the Cmods) seek clarification on the nature of the discussion and whether it's to be allowed or not. This clarification can only come from above, & there are many factors to consider, such as the relationship with our policy on Netflix, then to consider are we setting precedent for other forums etc. As it stands, Sony et all aren't putting much in the way of users buying from other markets, so it would seem they currently don't have an issue with it. MS on the other hand, seem to be clamping down, signifying a change in perception of the whole thing. The discussion is on going, & I will, by all means, update everyone when I have something to update them with :)

calex71 wrote: »
    I get the the moving of posts to the correct threads, and it was a big + in my book and made the forum easier to read imo but only if the relevant threads stayed on the 1st page so folks could see them and post to them. That said you need to PM some users some of the time to tell them discussions have been moved as on numerous occasions I've gone back to follow up on posts I've given advice to and had no idea which thread posts had been moved to.

closing the general discussion thread to have an off topic one was pointless imo as both seem to have the same discussion going on so a simple rename would have been best there.

I suggest an amnesty for not regular posters and the non movement of their posts / new threads from now until xmas to accommodate the usual influx of 'santy' questions perhaps ? :confused:

Sorry Calex I forgot to multiquote this. Yes, agreed there on the above. In terms of pm'ing users about where posts had been moved to, it's good in theory but putting it into practice tended to be quite time consuming, as often there would be several users (sometimes loads) who's posts I'd need to move, & pm'ing everyone soon became a problem. What I figured was a better approach, was to move the posts, & then bump the thread with an advisory note in it which links to where the posts had been moved to. Not ideal, but a good compromise.

Good point about the influx of Santy related posts, that's business as usual for around this time of year. Newer, less familiar users never bothered me though. That's normal in terms of forum grounds keeping, it's when a culture sets in & even the regulars begin to develop a cycle of perpetuation by using one thread & one thread only, that was a bigger issue.

Great response and great to see the general thread opening up again. Thank you.

The general thread was great for casual mentions of stuff. For example, I have a headset, so I don't subscribe to, or visit the Headset thread, but if I heard that there was a new one coming out, or one on sale somewhere, I'd naturally investigate further on the relevant threads. The same for games that get free trials etc.

anyway, its great to see what I'd consider the main hub reinstated.

So very accurate & astute observations there, & I really like the sound of a catch all FAQ thread. Definitely I'd like to see something like that implemented, it could even replace our 'useful links' sticky by assimilating the info within. We can organise such a thread here in this one, so by all means, lets hear some ideas & everyone is welcome to pitch in :)

Sounds great. I'll start throwing some stuff together tomorrow.

Thanks for taking the time to think about all this, by the way, I think that we all want a healthy forum for Xbox stuff, so hopefully this all helps out.

No prob guys, & again apologies for the upheaval. I really appreciate the feedback you've offered, & we'll sort it out between us. I'll get back to this tomorrow at some stage, but if I may make an observation, that Hardware thread has been running really well despite being only a few days old, with non regulars & regulars posting in it. It's ticking along there about hdd expansions nicely, are we ok with keeping that around for hardware discussion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Sorry Calex I forgot to multiquote this. Yes, agreed there on the above. In terms of pm'ing users about where posts had been moved to, it's good in theory but putting it into practice tended to be quite time consuming, as often there would be several users (sometimes loads) who's posts I'd need to move, & pm'ing everyone soon became a problem. What I figured was a better approach, was to move the posts, & then bump the thread with an advisory note in it which links to where the posts had been moved to. Not ideal, but a good compromise.

Good point about the influx of Santy related posts, that's business as usual for around this time of year. Newer, less familiar users never bothered me though. That's normal in terms of forum grounds keeping, it's when a culture sets in & even the regulars begin to develop a cycle of perpetuation by using one thread & one thread only, that was a bigger issue.

Yeah I had that as an after thought later on yesterday, I'm used to moving 1 or max 2 posts :D

No prob guys, & again apologies for the upheaval. I really appreciate the feedback you've offered, & we'll sort it out between us. I'll get back to this tomorrow at some stage, but if I may make an observation, that Hardware thread has been running really well despite being only a few days old, with non regulars & regulars posting in it. It's ticking along there about hdd expansions nicely, are we ok with keeping that around for hardware discussion?

I think keep the hardware thread, and then have the FAQ thread forward people looking for hardware advice to that thread.

Okay, this is my first draft. I've probably missed loads of questions, and I know nothing about headsets/NAT really, so those are pretty bare. If anyone else wants to add anything, please do. Point out any spelling and grammar mistakes as well, might as well get it right.

**** XBOX ONE FAQ THREAD ****

Where to buy an Xbox One?
    As of November 2014, the general consensus in the Bargains thread is that Argos is the best place to get a good deal. As the prices and bundles change pretty often, you should check/ask in the “Xbox Bargain Alerts (Games/Hardware/Accessories)” thread for the latest deals.

Now that I’ve got one, what else do I need?
    To get the best from an Xbox One, you should have a TV that is Full HD, and an internet connection. As games and patches can be quite large, a high speed broadband connection is recommended. An Xbox Live Gold subscription is also recommended for online play.

What is Xbox Live Gold?
    Xbox Live is a subscription that allows you to play multiplayer games online. It also has free games every month, and further deals on a variety of games. Only one subscription is needed per console. The “Xbox Live Subscriptions and Microsoft Points” thread will have the latest details on where to get it cheap.

Free games? What’s that about?
    It’s called “Games with Gold”, and it provides a number of games for free each month. These games are available on either Xbox 360 or Xbox One, and are only available for a limited time. However, once you download them, they are available to play so long as you maintain your Xbox Live Gold subscription. To find out more, visit the “Games with Gold” thread.

Can I try Xbox Live Gold before I decide to buy it?
    Trial codes sometimes come with select games, and there should be a trial code included in every console. Failing that, ask really nicely in the “The Free XBL Code Thread

I’ve got Xbox Live Gold, but don’t have any friends to play with?
    Post your Gamer Tag in the “Gamer Tag Thread”, and add a few of the names in there. You’ll be sorted in no time.

What’s EA Access, and why is everyone saying it’s great?
    It’s another subscription service, except provided by EA. You get access to the EA Game vault, where you can download full games, and you get a six hour trial of upcoming EA games. You also receive 10% off EA games and DLC. The cost is currently €25 per year. You can find out more by asking in the “EA Access” thread.

I’ve just bought an Xbox One bundle with X game, but there’s no disk in the pack! Where is it?
    Don’t worry, some bundles no longer come with a disk, instead they come with a code that allows you download the game. Look through the pack and you should find it. Instructions on how to download the game should be on the card.

I’ve bought an Xbox One for my child as a Christmas present, do I need to do anything pre-Christmas?
    In order to have the smoothest Christmas morning, yes, you do. Connect the Xbox to your TV, and to your internet, and then turn it on. It will download and install the latest update, which can take some time depending on your internet connection. Once that’s complete, you should then install any games that you bought with it. In some Xbox One bundles, the game comes as a code that allows you to download the game.

I’m installing a game, but it is taking so long, what’s happening?
    During the install process, the Xbox One also downloads and installs any patches/updates the game has. If your connection is slow, you might be better off cancelling the install, disconnecting the Xbox One from the internet, and then installing again. This will allow you to play without downloading anything.

I’ve heard I can buy games from other regions digitally, is this legally okay?
    Originally this was totally fine, however, recently it seems that Microsoft is starting to restrict this. The boards.ie head honchos have not clarified if discussion regarding this is okay or not, but until then, discussion is not allowed.

I’ve got X headset, can I use it with my Xbox One?
    It might work straight away, or it might need an adapter, or it might not work at all. There’s plenty of people willing to help you out in the “Xbox Headset Discussion” thread, so direct any questions there.

I’m having a terrible time online, there’s all kinds of problems! What do I do?
    Most likely, one of two things are going wrong. First check the “Xbox Live Status” page, where Microsoft will tell you if anything has gone wrong on their end. Second, check your NAT type, and then ask for help in the “Xbox One NAT” thread. To check your NAT type fully, follow the easy instructions on the “Xbox One NAT Error” page.

My Xbox One is making a weird noise, is that normal?
    No, it is not. The Xbox One should be near silent at all times. Some models of the console have an unusual noise if the Kinect is not attached. Microsoft will replace your console if this happens. You can find out more in the “Hardware Discussion Thread

There’s not much room left on my Xbox One, what should I do?
    With the latest updates, you can now attach an external hard drive to the Xbox One to have a rather seamless expansion of available space. The only restriction are that the hard drive has to be USB3, and it has to be at least 256GB in size. You can currently get 2TB compatible hard drives online for around €80. That’s four times the size of the internal Xbox One hard drive. You can find out more in the “Hardware Discussion Thread

I’ve just got a new update on the console, what was in it?
    Microsoft has been adding new features to the Xbox One on a monthly basis. To find out more, and to discuss the changes, check the “Xbox One Dashboard” thread. There’s also a preview program, where you can get access to a beta of the next dashboard. If you want into this program, then ask for an invite in that thread, and hope that your name is picked.

I’m really enjoying X game, where should I tell everyone?
    There’s an “Xbox Gaming” thread for all discussion of games, so you can start there.

Got any other useful links?
    You can check out the “Swapping Games” thread if you want to swap any games, and there’s also the “Weekly XBLA Game Deals” thread for deals on any Xbox Live Arcade games that come out. That thread is mainly Xbox 360 though.

• Advertisement

Might be worth adding "whats game sharing?" and maybe "tell me more about multimedia" for the media player / tv tuner things.

Advertisement