Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this recession change Ireland?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Harldy EVER before in history were the conditions of living as brilliant in a country as they were during the boom years of his country.

Pre-civilisation human life consisted of waking up and procuring your sustinence for the day. They likely had some days with enough food to fill themselves and some days without. Were they miserable the whole time? I doubt it; otherwise our brains wouldn't have evolved an ability to let us laugh.

to paraphrase Morbo:

EVOLUTION DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

Civilised human life, for almost the entirity of its duration, consisted of absolute poverty for the majority and I doubt they went about in gloom the whole time.

The myth of a happier, simpler time is just that. A Myth.

I'm not saying that ALL teenagers who lived through the boom have no concept of what its like to not have what they want or to not have a job at the ready, but in fairness, the mental reserve and self-motivation of a lot of teenagers in the last decade in this country has become flabby. Even sitting in school I noticed that people were dozy as hell and showed no incentive, because they were used to having stuff handed to it on a plate.

But not you, i bet you're just an awesome young go-getter. A John Galt in waiting, no doubt.

Hopefully they'll discover that life owes them fcuking nothing and the'll be better for it in the long run.

Oh, and if the cubs are miserable cause they dont have money for clothes, a car, going out or drinking, well boo-fcuking-hoo

yeah, leisure activities are for wimps! and looser! Damn soft people with there wanting to acquire things, fools the lot of them!

... yeah, well it's been fun, but i guess i can stop taking you seriously now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 CelticTiger*

Tawny wrote: »
    Will this Recession change Ireland?
    Slightly, if anything,
    For me it all Depends on who the next government is, FF/Fg = concept of boom and bust to continue as per usual
    Labour govn. = None of this bubble nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Slightly, if anything,
    For me it all Depends on who the next government is, FF/Fg = concept of boom and bust to continue as per usual
    Labour govn. = None of this bubble nonsense

Labour is centre left at best. They'll play the game just like all the other parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Proof?

EH. I once got a letter of a pre-aproved loan for €20,000 from a bank that I have no business with..
    I was looking at buying a house with a 100% mortage and the Broker was gonna add on the deposit and a bt of decoration money..
    Credit card limits that went up without having to ask for it..
    Overdraft available on a Phone call...

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

fcussen wrote: »
    you're an idiot

I kinda see his point..A month or so ago the Sunday Indo magazine, carried an article about some D4 girls and how the recession affected them, To be honest it was total cringe, their vew of a recession was not being able to have 14 days in the sun in the south of france But have 7 days in Turkey.. That they were no longer able to buy stuff in Brown Thomas but had to make do with Pennys..
    They also went on about one of their friends not getting a part time job, So she wasn't going to be able to go on holiday..

Their is a generation out there that don't know what it is like to have to go without..That if it can't be got...It can't be got!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭irishultra

Yes but for the better or for the worse in the long term I'm not so sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Also, no-one will speak in terms of K anymore

"I bought my shoebox for 400 K's"
    "My bonus this year is only 15 K's"

etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

to paraphrase Morbo:

EVOLUTION DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY.

Where in the post you are referring to mention evolution? It doesn't even allude to evolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭fcussen

LoanShark wrote: »
    I kinda see his point..A month or so ago the Sunday Indo magazine, carried an article about some D4 girls and how the recession affected them, To be honest it was total cringe, their vew of a recession was not being able to have 14 days in the sun in the south of france But have 7 days in Turkey.. That they were no longer able to buy stuff in Brown Thomas but had to make do with Pennys..
    They also went on about one of their friends not getting a part time job, So she wasn't going to be able to go on holiday..

Their is a generation out there that don't know what it is like to have to go without..That if it can't be got...It can't be got!

His point is "what's wrong with all these people using their MONEY to have a good time? Why can't they all just accept that life is meant to be a joyless impoverished chore?"

My only hope that he's anyway sane is that he's trying to subtly take the piss out of the Irish begrudging mentality by taking it to its cartoonishly miserablist conclusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭thatsa spicy

I nearly felt sick when I read that article in the Sunday Independent "life" magazine. Little trollops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭thatsa spicy

fcussen wrote: »
    My only hope that he's anyway sane is that he's trying to subtly take the piss out of the Irish begrudging mentality by taking it to its cartoonishly miserablist conclusions.

Heh. Looks like I'm insane then.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭spylon

the Sunday Indo magazine

Hopefully that rag, along with most of the cretins who feature in it, will be among the casualties of recession..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

spylon wrote: »
    Hopefully that rag, along with most of the cretins who feature in it, will be among the casualties of recession..

Yeah actually, that magazine symbolizes everything that is wrong with Ireland today. A fascination with mediocre celebrities, obsession with material things and a shallowness that is utterly despairing.

Advertisement