Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS in all its glory

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Bugger, yes, allergies can hit at any stage. At least your wait won't be too long and the drugs tend to stay in our systems for about 3 months. (Hence the need for a 3 month "wash out" before stating many new treatments. Have you considered, if you cannot stay on Copaxone what your next port of call might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Bugger, yes, allergies can hit at any stage. At least your wait won't be too long and the drugs tend to stay in our systems for about 3 months. (Hence the need for a 3 month "wash out" before stating many new treatments. Have you considered, if you cannot stay on Copaxone what your next port of call might be?
    I hadn't even thought about what the next step was because up until last night I was tolerating copaxone and thought I'd be on that for the foreseeable but it doesn't look like it now. What would they try? She mentioned a tablet that might suit me but that I could discuss it with the neurologist on the 11th.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Gilenya, I'd say?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Blinder

How are you feeling today Embee? Has the reaction passed?
    Did you get to start the new job this week?

Reaction passed, still don't feel fully right this evening. Was at my new job yesterday and today but it's a struggle, legs are weak and wobbly.That reaction was horrendous, so scary, thought I was gonna pass out and felt super panicky and then the cooks vomiting...... Feel like I've been through a mangle today! Is the Gilenya any good? It would be nice to not be injectng but am worried it won't be as effective as an injectable. Sorry, I am so clueless about all of this, am not even a year diagnosed so I still have so much to learn about my condition.

• Advertisement

I have a doc comparing the different meds and their effectiveness but I can't find where I sourced it from, so not sure if it's a good idea quoting from it when I can't back it up but ....

Allegedly :) .... From what I have been reading, seems that the Gilenya is good. Its reported to reduce relapses by 50%.
    Tecfidera is another oral, was just approved here recently http://www.ms-society.ie/blog-articles/1789-new-treatments-for-relapsing-remitting-ms. Also reported to reduce relapses by 50%

How is everyone doing? Anyone thinking of Camath/Lemtrada?

Anyone thinking of Camath/Lemtrada?
    Is that available on the public health service here? Found a few links to say it's approved here but nothing more.

Not sleeping well. Waking up too many times during the night, which leads to awful days at work when I don't even have the energy to think.

Think it might be the side effects of the ibuphofen that I'm taking to counteract the side effects of the Rebif!
    Next week going to start injecting the Rebif in the morning and hoping that it leads to better nights sleep!

One of the Dublin hospitals is starting it, I think. I found paracetamol was best for flu side effects. Fatigue is a big issue for MS-ers,not sleeping on tap of that is cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kilco

Has anyone on rebif developed anything like spots on cheeks a bit like Rosacea after rebif, it's only now after being on it for nearly a year I'm putting 2 and 2 together and wondering if it could be that as I never suffered with sports on my cheeks before that only ever had spots on my chin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

Hi kilco,

I'm not on rebif but I've similar markings on my cheeks for the last few months and I can't get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kilco

eimsRV wrote: »
    Hi kilco,

I'm not on rebif but I've similar markings on my cheeks for the last few months and I can't get rid of it.

Ya I've tried changing moisturisers, make up ,exfoliating and they won't go and I have never had sensitive skin, I'm trying to get through to the support line today to see what they say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

https://beta.mssociety.ca/research-news/article/case-of-pml-reported-in-patient-treated-with-gilenya

New pml case reported for gilenya From feb 2015. Person is doing well. Had only been on interferons prior to gilenya. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irishrver

I am due to start Gilenya on Thursday or Thursday week I have been on Rebif since the start of December 2013 but it has not worked for me I have had flare up/relapse for the last 3 or 4 months so after 3 days of steroids I am getting ready to start, but after reading that link I am unsure, should I try something else ?

That's something you and your neurologist should decide. I'm on gilenya and I'm going to stay on it but I think I'm going to ask for annual JC virus tests. I had one just over a year ago and was negative but I'd prefer they keep an eye on it until there's more information about this new pml case

Interesting re Gillenya without Tysabri use. We are JC tested (Tysabri) every 6 months. I have hovered around positive/negative at 0.4 for a while but last time out shot up to 0.8.
    PML shows earliest in MRIs, so we lepers err JC+ people in our centre get MRIs 6th monthly. I'd be more inclined to look for MRI above JC test I think.

It also shows as a personality change, so we are lucky in that we have the same nurses and of course our neuro at each Tysabri.
    I have explained to the people at work about what they need to look for , so am reliably assured that if I take to keeping my mouth shut or do a proper tidy up in room that they will be on the hotline to my neuro asap:D:D:D

Went to neurologist today again, it has been agreed that copaxone is permanently off the agenda for me as I had a definite anaphylactic reaction. So now I've been told with Gilenya or Tecfidera, and I've to choose.
    I am thinking more towards Tecfidera as I don't want to have recurrent infections, I'd miss loads of work. Have to have repeat MRI asap as the consultant thinks there may be new spinal lesions. I only just had steroids in February so can't have them again so am concerned that I'm gonna have to just put up with these motor and sensory symptoms for the foreseeable. Frustration galore :/

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Zil2011

Hi all, I had what the neurologist refers to as a 'isolated episode under the umbrella of MS' a few years ago - basically I had no feeling down one side of my body, underwent tests, and had a few lesions, etc. Have to go up and down once a year for mri and to see neurologist which is great as I feel reassured.
    The past couple of weeks I have been getting a funny sensation on my hands and arms. The skin is really sensitive to touch (even if my clothes brush against me) It's kind of like if you had burned yourself and someone puts their hand on top of the site? I am not great at explaining things, so I hope someone can understand what I am on about!! Basically, I was wondering if you guys think this is MS related or could be something else?

Zil2011 wrote: »
    Hi all, I had what the neurologist refers to as a 'isolated episode under the umbrella of MS' a few years ago - basically I had no feeling down one side of my body, underwent tests, and had a few lesions, etc. Have to go up and down once a year for mri and to see neurologist which is great as I feel reassured.
    The past couple of weeks I have been getting a funny sensation on my hands and arms. The skin is really sensitive to touch (even if my clothes brush against me) It's kind of like if you had burned yourself and someone puts their hand on top of the site? I am not great at explaining things, so I hope someone can understand what I am on about!! Basically, I was wondering if you guys think this is MS related or could be something else?

I get this on and off. Feels like I've a bad sunburn and it's always the same small section of skin on my arm and it comes and goes. I assume it's an MS thing but that's not to say it wouldn't be caused by something else in someone else iykwim?
    As in for me it's caused by MS. But that's not to say it's an exclusive MS symptom.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Zil2011

ash23 wrote: »
    I get this on and off. Feels like I've a bad sunburn and it's always the same small section of skin on my arm and it comes and goes. I assume it's an MS thing but that's not to say it wouldn't be caused by something else in someone else iykwim?
    As in for me it's caused by MS. But that's not to say it's an exclusive MS symptom.

Thanks ash23! I might go to my gp anyway but its good to know someone else feels the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

Zil2011 wrote: »

Same thing happened nearly 2 years ago to me, described as a isolated incident. If its a persistent problem no harm getting it checked out either by GP of neuro.

I am starting on Tecfidera at the weekend, are any of ye on it? How do you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coughdrops

Morning all
    I have begun to feel a bit off, more tired than I have been, achey, symptomy etc. I was just wondering if anyone ever gets like this in a run up to a relapse? For instance, last year I had a couple of months of feeling unwell, but didn't really do much about it, I just slept a bit more and rested up really. I ended up in hospital with a relapse, which manifested as ON. I am a bit concerned that this is happening again - not the actual ON or a relapse yet, but that I am going to feel more and more unwell until one does happen... if that makes sense. I always seem to get worse as the weather gets brighter/warmer, have an awful time during May, and then recover as the summer progresses. Last year was the first time I ended up hospitalised, but other years I've managed to take a week off work and recover at home.

Has anyone ever taken time off work in "advance" of a relapse... wondering if I took time now and rested up would it stop it in its tracks?

Bugger, any chance you are breeding a flu or something?
    Re BG12 (Tecdiferda) it seems there was a PML case with that too:
    http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org/Recovery-Program/Drug-Therapies/BG-12-Dimethyl-Fumarate/

True enough, I could be. I don't feel like it's a flu/cold (yet), but I tend to think everything is MS related until it's obviously something else.

Ah hopefully this will pass in a few days. Just have an undercurrent of dread that it's starting all over again, and it's probably making me a bit irrational!

Do you take Vit D?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Closov

Apparently I can't post link cos I'm a "new user", please google the bolded terms for the links I tried add.
    embee wrote: »
    I am starting on Tecfidera at the weekend, are any of ye on it? How do you find it?

Grand for me, flushing about once a month for 1 to 3 days. Flushing lasts anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes and it always comes exactly 3 hours after taking the pill. For other people its 4 or 5 hours. If I've ever had flushing after taking the night pill, I've never noticed, as it hasn't woken me up. I always take it on a decent bit of food, people say something high in fat helps, so I usually have something like fruit / granola in yoghurt. No digestive side effects for me.

The flushing was much more intense during the first month, and the first few days of the 120s and the same with the 240s, it could feel (and look) like a bad sunburn and last for a good hour. People will give you some very worried looks, if you get it!
    Re BG12 (Tecdiferda) it seems there was a PML case with that too:
    (url removed)

I don't think you posted the right link?
    reuters Biogen's Tecfidera sales miss estimates; confirms first PML case
    This person "had severe, prolonged lymphopenia for 3.5+ years while on therapy".

Very good discussion of the case here:
    Wheelchair Kamikaze Patient Taking Tecfidera Develops PML

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

Do you take Vit D?

Sure do.

Do you take Vit D?

I do, have shares in it at this stage :D Feeling a bit better today, I have had a few good nights sleep. Think I was being a bit dramatic!

• Advertisement

It's easy to overthink things and presume everything is MS related.

Advertisement