Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hynsey

cargo wrote: »
    Was passing South on M50 around 9.30pm and traffic was slow leaving the M50 heading out towards Naas so there must have been lane restrictions or similar in place at Newlands work. Probably another bit of surfacing.

Yeah there was, they had it down to one lane. They'd only got the road layout done when I passed through, so I can't be sure what the work itself was, but they were about to do something! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭paulbok

Passed by there at 9am and there is a lot of tarmacing machinery there, Belgard side.
    Might be finishing off the final surfacing at the end of the permanent slip roads and main line tonight?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

terrydel wrote: »
    Austerity rears its ugly head once more .
    This was a PPP whose funding is legally enforceable. It isn't like council-funded schemes where the money comes out of the same pool as everything else and your project has to compete for resources.

Permanent slip roads Belgard side looked open this morning, neither end on the mainline finished though, but they are still laying today so perhaps tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

spacetweek wrote: »
    This was a PPP whose funding is legally enforceable. It isn't like council-funded schemes where the money comes out of the same pool as everything else and your project has to compete for resources.

That doesn't stop the builders slowing down tho, if funds are tighter or released to them slower.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

I presume we won't be told that this project finished "ahead of time and on budget" until the M11 is finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭rameire

last nigh on the inbound stretch before the flyover they scraped the road and it is ready for a couple of layers of tar mac.
    live drive tweeted last night there would be lane/road closures and diversions over the next few nights to facilitate the completion of the tie ins.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Outbound before and after the flyover still the same this morning, but you'd expect if they are starting the tie-ins tonight, they'll work their way around the 4 of them ove the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

spacetweek wrote: »
    Dublin Corpo had PPP's but the private sector Bernard Macnamara welched on his side, and nothing was ever built, so they're not a panacea

one layer or tar mac went down last night inbound before the flyover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

When you're coming from Tallaght on the Belgard road there's a bit of a dip just before you go under the overpass. You can see it noticeable if you're coming down the new slip road outbound for Tallaght/Clondalkin. I hope they're going to level it a bit before it's finished. Otherwise I be glad when it's finished cause there are some tailbacks in the evening on the Belgard road. Just like in the old days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

rameire wrote: »
    one layer or tar mac went down last night inbound before the flyover.

A layer went down outbound at the same point, i.e. after the flyover.

Seems to be a big push now to get it wrapped up, the last bits of the kerbing/drainage on the inbound, M50 side being layed, and the tie-in outbound has had some old tarmac layers removed.

Definately in keeping with the works over the life of the project, as a passing motorist you see very little 'progress' for a few weeks, then there is a big visual change over 1 week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Had my first two experiences of the flyover today, while being bussed from Naas to Leopardstown (for a Java exam) and back.

I have to admit, it felt quite strange being at more or less the same height as the Bewleys Hotel clock instead of being below it... :o :cool: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Inbound down to one lane earlier around 10pm with some planing going on at the Red Cow end in the outer land.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Is the sliproad from the Northbound Belgard road side the finished article? If it is, the merge is very short and you don't get much time to see cars coming over the brow of the flyover - I'm hoping they intend running this a bit further down the hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

surely this is done at this stage??

Was through Newlands today - lots of tie-in work remains. Could be weeks before this is finished.

Approx 14 working days left until Easter. Thats probably their target at this stage, was always due to be finished around April '15.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

Yeah, they are still well on target...just if they had kept up the intensity that has dropped off the last few months, I feel they would have been done already.....way before scheduled to be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

They need to hurry with the tie in on the city end, traffic heading to M50 from Begard road merging to the mainline is a disaster atm, bring that inside lane to standstill at peak times, plus a very bad bend on the temporary surface before you head onto M50 ramp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Thankfully they fixed that 'bump' inbound on lane 3 yesterday.

Had the unpleasent experience of going over it Tuesday evening and I think I might have chipped a tooth. It was like going over a 6 inch kerb at speed. I don't think I was alone because Wednesday & Thursday evening traffic had slowed in anticipation of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

Looks like they are in the final stages tidying up the Fonthill/Belgard sections. New direction signs under the overpass now. I think the project will be finished before Easter. They were still working in the rain at 7 this evening.

I was just wondering this morning passing what was left 'under' the flyover to finish.

Not much left on the main line. a few bits of paths at the tie-ins and the exit from the park & ride.
    There does seem to be a fair amount of soil/spoil to be removed from inside the new stone walls (Belgard side) and probably a section of that wall once it's removed.

Should change the name of this thread to "Newlands Cross snag-list"! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

paulbok wrote: »
    I was just wondering this morning passing what was left 'under' the flyover to finish.

Not much left on the main line. a few bits of paths at the tie-ins and the exit from the park & ride.
    There does seem to be a fair amount of soil/spoil to be removed from inside the new stone walls (Belgard side) and probably a section of that wall once it's removed.

Some of the lampposts on the Belgard side were still to receive their brackets and lanterns when I passed by yesterday afternoon.

Meanwhile, I can't help but point out that the Green Isle camera is once again having trouble updating... :o

snap.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Indeed there is quite a bit of work still to go on the Belgard Road. Still all looks like a building site.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

People are really struggling with basic stuff I see.Ive only come through Newlands twice in the last while from Belgard road to Fonthill and both times (first time I put to down to one gob****e and some lemmings but it happened again just now) the whole row of cars in front of me (I've been about 7 or 8 cars back each time) sailed off through the red light when the one about 60 meters ahead , roughly in line with the far side of the flyover, turns green to allow cars to cross the path of the ones that would have come down from the Naas road inbound.

The first time everyone up to the car in front of me had gone through and she stopped when the cars who had right of way came from the right (outbound Naas road heading to Fonthill) would have hit her if she kept going. Then today the cars made it before the ones came from the right but there was a gap then because I stopped at the red light. I could see the gob****e behind me making faces and wondering why I was stopped even though theres a big red light and 2 orange signs saying "stop here on red" not to mention the line of cars coming from the right passing across us.

This, coupled with everything else going on really makes me despair at the standard of driving here.

This crazy woman !!

New flyover at Newlands Cross . Dublin.

from the dashcam thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

People are really struggling with basic stuff I see.Ive only come through Newlands twice in the last while from Belgard road to Fonthill and both times (first time I put to down to one gob****e and some lemmings but it happened again just now) the whole row of cars in front of me (I've been about 7 or 8 cars back each time) sailed off through the red light when the one about 60 meters ahead , roughly in line with the far side of the flyover, turns green to allow cars to cross the path of the ones that would have come down from the Naas road inbound.

The first time everyone up to the car in front of me had gone through and she stopped when the cars who had right of way came from the right (outbound Naas road heading to Fonthill) would have hit her if she kept going. Then today the cars made it before the ones came from the right but there was a gap then because I stopped at the red light. I could see the gob****e behind me making faces and wondering why I was stopped even though theres a big red light and 2 orange signs saying "stop here on red" not to mention the line of cars coming from the right passing across us.

This, coupled with everything else going on really makes me despair at the standard of driving here.

Like this you mean.....

Advertisement