Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

lukin wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, am I correct in saying that there is no longer a right turn to Belgard Road (coming from Naas) at Newlands cross now that the flyover is there?
    Nope - it's an overbridge. Stay left and turn right under the flyover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭lukin

jd wrote: »
    Nope - it's an overbridge. Stay left and turn right under the flyover.

Yes I thought so but when I type in to google maps directions from say Naas to Belgard road it still says turn right at Newlands? Has it not been updated?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Yes I thought so but when I type in to google maps directions from say Naas to Belgard road it still says turn right at Newlands? Has it not been updated?

They do a bulk update every so often. Ballaghadreen bypass still not on street view right now. Imagine both will be done at same time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

They do a bulk update every so often. Ballaghadreen bypass still not on street view right now. Imagine both will be done at same time.

Openstreetmap is usually bang up to date.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/53.31289/-6.39101

Openstreetmap is usually bang up to date.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/53.31289/-6.39101

Hard to tell if that has the flyover as you can't do a "to from" on it. Thanks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭paulbok

rameire wrote: »
    they have done a lot of wall work, also alot of new road work, and road paving, they have also done a lot of tidy up work.
    including a new turn into the JMC road.
    I would think a lot of work will happen over the next few weeks, including lane closure and diversions over nights, and also some final tar macing on the main line.

They seem to be concentrating on the Belgard side, more than likely have a reduced work crew since the main line was finished so can't go full tilt everywhere. The new bounday wall is almost done and the footpath is nearly complete. Can see the permanent outbound slip road to Belgard (and Belgard to Naas) opening very soon.
    Then close off the temp slip roads that side and move over to the Nangor junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 almccabe

just wondering whats the status of the ramps? Last time i was down they where still temporary?

btw I use HERE maps and they have the flyover in :)

almccabe wrote: »
    just wondering whats the status of the ramps? Last time i was down they where still temporary?

btw I use HERE maps and they have the flyover in :)

Yes but if I do a "from Naas to Belgard road" it also says turn right at Newlands (even though you can't).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 almccabe

Yes but if I do a "from Naas to Belgard road" it also says turn right at Newlands (even though you can't).

But is there not a ramp coming off at Boot Road/Bewleys hotel that allows you to come off the N7 and then turn right underneath the flyover? Hence the turn right at Newlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

But is there not a ramp coming off at Boot Road/Bewleys hotel that allows you to come off the N7 and then turn right underneath the flyover? Hence the turn right at Newlands?

Yes there is but his point is that your satnav needs to tell you to come off at that ramp otherwise you are stopped sitting on top of the flyover with your indicator on waiting to go right :)

• Advertisement

cargo wrote: »
    Yes there is but his point is that your satnav needs to tell you to come off at that ramp otherwise you are stopped sitting on top of the flyover with your indicator on waiting to go right :)

Yeah the online maps tell you to turn right on the Naas road, they don't have the off ramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

Yeah the online maps tell you to turn right on the Naas road, they don't have the off ramp.

Google maps seems to have the ramp, but it is telling you to stay on the main carriageway as you can make the turn 2 minutes quicker by avoiding the ramp....... assuming you can make it over the central barrier and then over the side of the wall.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

When will the final N7 inbound lane marking go down? Presumably they'll need to close at least two lanes for a few nights to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

The assembly for the outbound gantry was sitting in the coned-off bus lane today. It's located just after the bowstring bridge. Must be going up soon!

/csd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

When will the final N7 inbound lane marking go down? Presumably they'll need to close at least two lanes for a few nights to do it.

Hopefully they fix the right lane at the end of the overpass while they're at it.

At the moment, the road level goes down, then up and while the lane turns left, the left side of the lane raises up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

They could do with getting rid of the now-obsolete traffic light signs on the inbound stretch as well actually

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    They could do with getting rid of the now-obsolete traffic light signs on the inbound stretch as well actually

Judging by how long it is taking to get rid of redundant signs following the "de-trunking" of the N11 from Mount Merrion Avenue to the city centre these things can take a very long time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Any estimate of when all the work will be done? When it is, I assume the temporary 60kph will be lifted (maybe to 80kph?)? Getting tired of being the eejit who sticks to 60 while most other cars ignore it, and then they fly in from the 'fast lane' to cut over to make the left hand lane for M50 N...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭paulbok

Tarmac has and is being laid Belgard side.
    I'd guess by the end of Feb there won't be much left to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Was hoping theyd find a way of eliminating all traffic lights at this junction. It is surely possible and big disappointment for someone like myself living on Boot Road, that essentially all lights Im impacted by, will remain.

• Advertisement

paulbok wrote: »
    Tarmac has and is being laid Belgard side.
    I'd guess by the end of Feb there won't be much left to do
    I just looked at the traffic cam and I see that the white lines are going down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I just looked at the traffic cam and I see that the white lines are going down.

Looks like most of the temporary lampposts have been taken down as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Passed through Newlands numerous times lately and I'm amazed at how slowly things have progressed since they opened it. So unfinished and messy looking still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

road_high wrote: »
    Passed through Newlands numerous times lately and I'm amazed at how slowly things have progressed since they opened it. So unfinished and messy looking still.
    Austerity rears its ugly head once more .

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

road_high wrote: »

Think its more a case of "Ah sure it will be Grand"itisis than anything else......

This little well known condition affects 100s of 1000s of Irish males yearly & appears to strike the end of projects where the finish line is sight but ah sure .....you now the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Think its more a case of "Ah sure it will be Grand"itisis than anything else......

This little well known condition affects 100s of 1000s of Irish males yearly & appears to strike the end of projects where the finish line is sight but ah sure .....you now the rest

I like to call it "diminishing returns". The bulk of the work is done so resources get pulled to higher value work. The few left will then take a bit longer to progress the final bits.

Not irish, not male, but business. Have more pride in your fellow countrymen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

I like to call it "diminishing returns". The bulk of the work is done so resources get pulled to higher value work. The few left will then take a bit longer to progress the final bits.

Not irish, not male, but business. Have more pride in your fellow countrymen.
    Yeah, wasn't work here always scheduled to be finished in Spring?
    How long will it take to build?
    Newlands Cross Upgrade commenced in May 2013 and will be complete by Spring 2015

I'd say some of the workers/equipment have been moved off to M11 (Arklow Rathnew)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

There's no need to keep the same 'bust your balls' level of work that they had to get the flyover finished for the rest of the work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Was passing South on M50 around 9.30pm and traffic was slow leaving the M50 heading out towards Naas so there must have been lane restrictions or similar in place at Newlands work. Probably another bit of surfacing.

Advertisement