Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for free guitar lessons (read before you judge!)

Options
  • 04-01-2012 4:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Sounds kinda strange but I'm looking for free guitar (preferably electric) lessons with the intention of creating a rock band with the teacher when I become good enough. I can't actually afford to pay for lessons at the moment but I'm VERY eager to create band that can knock some of the crap out there off the charts and bring alt. rock back to the forefront!
    Sounds optimistic but that's just who I am

My influences include Oasis (just so you know I'm OBSESSED with them!), Suede, The Cranberries, Nirvana, The Stone Roses, High Flying Birds, Beady Eye, The La's, The Beatles, The Ramones, SULK/The Ruling Class, AC/DC, The Rolling Stones, The Black Keys, RCHP, BRMC, The Who.... Well you get the picture...

Oh and I'm male, 19 and from the Dublin area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I don't think you can really expect someone to give up their time to give you free guitar lessons. Is there anything that could you offer in return?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'd like some free lessons too please! Interested in spaghetti making lessons, with a view to opening a restaurant with the teacher. Teacher would be on lead spaghetti of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭keyboardcook

endacl,

As a qualified chef with years of michelan star experience, I have considered your proposal, but will decline, as I fear you would make a complete bolognaise of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

Be serious please DANNY22XX. If you're going to point the chap in the direction of youtube lessons, at least point him in the direction of good ones.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZDjWLwqAPY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

This is hillarious! Get real man. Guitar lessons don't happen overnight & if the teacher wanted to set up a band trust me he's not waiting around for you... just get your friends to show you some basics & get onto youtube..or a good book.. or pay for lessons!

There's a thread on the Galway City forum here that focuses on skill swapping so what I was getting at is that maybe Shakermakerman speaks a foreign language that someone might want help with or maybe they're a website designer or something else. Check the region-specific forums for your area, maybe there's already a thread like this there.

Malice wrote: »
    There's a thread on the Galway City forum here that focuses on skill swapping so what I was getting at is that maybe Shakermakerman speaks a foreign language that someone might want help with or maybe they're a website designer or something else. Check the region-specific forums for your area, maybe there's already a thread like this there.
    Don't close this one though. It's kinda funny....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Get the power chords going with Nivana tunes. Plenty of tab available online.
    Get open chords and some note picking going with Cranberries tunes. Again plenty are available online.
    Most info that you'll need can be found on wiki and youtube lessons can also be helpful.
    Just watching live videos of performers can also be of great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Sounds kinda strange but I'm looking for free guitar (preferably electric) lessons with the intention of creating a rock band with the teacher when I become good enough. I can't actually afford to pay for lessons at the moment but I'm VERY eager to create band that can knock some of the crap out there off the charts and bring alt. rock back to the forefront!
    Sounds optimistic but that's just who I am

My influences include Oasis (just so you know I'm OBSESSED with them!), Suede, The Cranberries, Nirvana, The Stone Roses, High Flying Birds, Beady Eye, The La's, The Beatles, The Ramones, SULK/The Ruling Class, AC/DC, The Rolling Stones, The Black Keys, RCHP, BRMC, The Who.... Well you get the picture...

Oh and I'm male, 19 and from the Dublin area

Try your local FETAC collage most are running Night classes starting over the next few weeks, surly one of them will be doing Guitar lessons for beginners.. My local one in Waterford has a 10 week course for 2 hours on a Monday night for a 170 yo yo's which is not that bad.

• Advertisement

Just don't leave it too late to start OP...:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntk4a7LqPpY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I'm a professional guitar player and teacher.... Your post seems like a huge opportunity for me, so I'm willing to train you up for three years until your gig ready to give me the chance to play in a band..... If there are any people wishing to learn drums and bass out there, please pm me and we could have the makings of a full band..

Nah, I've read it back to myself, and it just doesnt sound right.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

OP, as you can see from the reaction to your thread, your hopes of getting what you want are slim. If you cant afford lessons just now, then my advice is to try to learn on your own. While a teacher is the best option, there are lots of on line resources as well as tutorial books. Be patient, as it will take awhile to get to a gigging standard.

Good luck with it. :)

Thread closed as it's going nowhere. Hopefully the thread starter can take on board the useful advice that was given.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement