Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skills-Swap Galway City

Options
  • 10-06-2010 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Is anyone interested in swapping skills in the Galway City area? For example, I’m trying to learn German, Java programming and MySQL at the moment. I don’t have the money to pay for grinds so I was wondering if anyone would be interested in swapping for driving lessons? I’m an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) so I could give an hour long driving lesson in return for an hour long tutorial in any of the above. I suppose because I did quite a lot of training and exams to become an ADI, I would expect that the grinds being swapped would be of an equally high standard. If anyone is interested, perhaps you could post here or if anyone wants to swap skills in general, perhaps you could post here too. This does not involve money, and also, in order to work it needs to be based in Galway City (hence this forum) :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

Great idea!
    Alas, no fit there with Tristan Peter.
    I can offer French at all levels and Intermediate Spanish (qualified registered -native French- secondary school teacher/lecturer), Philosophy (Post Grad), Cooking/ Baking (just extremely interested). Experience of classes/ grinds to all ages. Also En
    I need Driving lessons, and help to set up a website...Also some Maths/ Irish grinds for a future (cleverish) 1st Yr pupil.

And I also need Advanced Spanish (Oral/Written) for the DELE exam...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭jkforde

Try www.Weedle.com, a new Irish-based skill matching service (I've nothing to do with them)

And there's www.justfortheloveofit.org - set up by Mark "Moneyless Man" Boyle - there's a good few around the city offering various skills and tools

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

this is exactly the sort of thing I like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Excellent idea, have to have a think what I could/would offer!

Might go Wanted: blah blah, Offer: blah blah

and vice versa, easy to search?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

inisboffin wrote: »
    Excellent idea, have to have a think what I could/would offer!

Might go Wanted: blah blah, Offer: blah blah

and vice versa, easy to search?

Good idea... and now 100% stickier...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

www.swoponomics.com

this site was mentioned last week on that RTE program Living Lightly, where it trying to help a number of family cut back on spending and live within their means.
    They used the site to help a Caprenter/Electrician to swop his skills in return for a website designer in order to promote his business...this is the result http://www.davemcardle.com/

here is another site listed from the programme: http://www.tenderme.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

jkforde wrote: »
    Try www.Weedle.com, a new Irish-based skill matching service (I've nothing to do with them)

And there's www.justfortheloveofit.org - set up by Mark "Moneyless Man" Boyle - there's a good few around the city offering various skills and tools

www.justfortheloveofit.org seems pretty good...even if some of the "skills" listed by members are subjective to say the least :) I signed up to it anyway so I'll give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Great idea. I'm going away until end of August so probably not worth while getting involved at this stage but if anyone wants to keep me in mind for the end of the summer:

Offered: Maths classes, primary school through to postgraduate level
    Wanted: Irish classes, yoga classes, cookery classes or occasional pet sitting.

On the same note as TristanPeter I am qualified and experienced so would be looking for someone with at least a little experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭philboy

Hi Tristan,

What level of Java do you have? Are you a complete beginner? I've recently started studying for the Java certificate & if your looking for a hand with some of the basics I'm sure I could give you a hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Hi Philboy,

Thanks for the offer. I have done some C but I'm new to Java. Even to learn the basics would be great. If you are still interested, can you send me a pm please (or a text. I have sent you a pm with my number). Do you need driving lessons and if so, what level would you say you are at?

• Advertisement

One humble suggestion mods... for people to only post available skills etc and not their bilateral replies which can be done via PM - just an idea to keep the thread clean and easy to search for them skills

jkforde wrote: »
    One humble suggestion mods... for people to only post available skills etc and not their bilateral replies which can be done via PM - just an idea to keep the thread clean and easy to search for them skills

As it has been said, thus it is henceforth so.

OT replies will be deleted.

/moderation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

skills offered: photography lessons (all ages), Basic to Intermediate Photoshop, French (native speaker), Biology/Chemistry

interested in: Dog Training, Sushi making, Irish, learning to whistle with my fingers....

Actually I'm interested in just about anything, and even if I already know something about it I wouldn't mind learning more.

Mark Boyle on Freeconomy.org has kindly set up a forum for The Tribes to share skills and share info here: http://forum.justfortheloveofit.org/viewforum.php?f=124

Not to be undercutting TristanPeter's initiative :eek: but the Freeconomy.org effort (headed by Mark Boyle from Ballyshannon) is all about skill sharing so just thought it would be worth bringing to yer attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

Xiney wrote: »
    skills offered: photography lessons (all ages), Basic to Intermediate Photoshop, French (native speaker), Biology/Chemistry

interested in: Dog Training, Sushi making, Irish, learning to whistle with my fingers....

Actually I'm interested in just about anything, and even if I already know something about it I wouldn't mind learning more.

I think this is impossible,something i have never been able to master.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Best sticky I've seen in ages! Getting thinking cap on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Offered: Irish (native speaker), Computers (Degree + work in the programming industry (C#, ASP .NET, Java,C,PHP,HTML,MySQL etc), PC Repairs (Not qualified but am handy enough with anything related to software + small hardware issues, Basic skills(Browsing, word processing)), Maths Lessons (Degree), Pet Sitting/Walking, Indoor + Outdoor work (gardening,painting etc)

Interested: Spanish, French, Driving lessons (full car licence but want to gain other categories), Photography, Martial Arts, Yoga, Cooking, Car maintenance
    Interested to learn any new skills to be honest.

I'll add more if I can think of them. I'm not highly skilled in all of these things but I assure you I'll do my best and will give an honest reply if I get a PM. It will be a bit of fun anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Can offer lessons in: Guitar, Piano, Singing, Linux, Beginner and Intermediate computing for those who have to use computers but would rather reduce the time they spend on them.

Interested in: Irish lessons and maybe Cooking lessons (but for the love of God, not both together.)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cowlove

I would love to learn to use the sewing machine, I have one and am yet to pull it out of the cupboard but if someone could give me the basics it would be great!

I can offer to paint a room or furniture in return ( I am qualified :) )

Great thread btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭einshteen

I need: Someone good with woodwork who can help us build workbenches for a few hours.

I can: Fix your computer, teach you guitar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I can: teach basic baking and cooking, sugarcraft, give Interior Design help, petsitting in the county (or city if it's for a rilly cute cat :P), feeding young kittens when abandoned/orphaned (worked doing this for a while)

I need: some help with fitness, physio, strenghtening muscles etc, someone to talk me through selling stuff on ebay because my brain can't handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

When i'm back in September of course

Skills offered - Social Media strategy's for small businesses, tech advice

Skills I'm looking for - Swimming Lessons (still can't swim **sigh**)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Can offer lessons in: Guitar, Piano, Singing, Linux, Beginner and Intermediate computing for those who have to use computers but would rather reduce the time they spend on them.

Interested in: Irish lessons and maybe Cooking lessons (but for the love of God, not both together.)
    Native Irish speaker, no teaching qualifications at all (just A1 from LC), but I'm very patient and delighted to help someone learn the language.

I'm a newb with Linux and I need help with my singing.

PM sent.

Want to learn: Web Design / Development
    Can Teach: Photography (amateur, but understand exposure etc.), Java + OO Design (Developer with degree + 8 years industry experience).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭mrsweebri

Can offer: piano/clarinet/music theory lessons, English/Maths grinds/support.

Would love to learn a bit of Irish and how to knit. And someone to help me get fit. I'm in Oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭grosser

Want to learn- photoshop, web design, film editing/ techniques
    Can teach- martial arts, basic guitar, archery

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please try to keep this listing thread for
    Offer:
    Asking:
    only

PM the person you want to communicate with

Sorry about this but otherwise the gems may be lost amongst the chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭AutumnComission

I see you are a native Irish speaker and am considering going back to do Leaving Cert Irish again (BOOO!). I got a pass B1 first time round but unfortunately that was 8 years ago so im quite rusty at this stage. The only time I speak Irish is when I am 'ar meisce' so I was wondering if you would be any good at tuition? I am a qualified childcare worker so could offer babysitting or something similar in return? Or if there is anything else u could think of I could offer, I would appreciate the assistance. Thanks for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

OFFER: help with art skills (painting, drawing), babysitting, makeup makeover, how to make a pinhole camera

ASKING: knitting, cooking, mediation, digital photography (never really know what all those extra buttons do and how to set my exposures/apture)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sarahfancy

OFFER: German lessons (fluent speaker, lived in Germany for 15 years)

WANTED: babysitting, interior design help, math tutoring for kids

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement