Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

age difference....

Options
  • 12-09-2008 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

okeee! im 23 yr old gal!
    have interest from 18 year old guy ,in the past week(only met him last wk).. my older cousins boyf's younger friend...
    at first i was messing around, saying haha my toyboy.. and he came rgiht out and told my cuz he thinks i'm "hot" and really nice etc..
    considering i'v been single past 2 years.. i'm completely flattered...but he's 18!
    so.. didnt take any notice till he adds me to msn.. chatting away, then after having 3 way conversation with cousin.. he comes out with it sayign he likes me.. eeek!! has my number now..
    he's lovely, acts and looks older than 18!
    as a friend says wont make any differnce when i'm 90 and he's 85 lol!!
    but advice on how to let him down gently cos he's a nice lad or do i go for it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No-brainer. If you like him, go for it. Far better to go for it, have things not work out (if they don't) and at least have given it a shot, rather than putting a stop to it just because of his age (not a good enough reason in my opinion) and spend ages wondering "what if". There's a considerable difference between 18 and 23 - particularly in terms of life stages - but who's to say these will prove to be obstacles unless you go find out for yourself?

Others will probably pass comments and stuff but again, that's not good enough reason to go for it. This is about the two of you, not them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

:rolleyes:

Im not touching this one with a 40 foot pole...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Stop being silly about it. You're both adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Dr P Bear

"We that are true lovers run into strange capers; but as all is mortal in nature, so is all nature in love mortal
    in folly."

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

23 / 18?

You're hardly Mrs. Robinson!

If that's the only thing that's stopping you, pfft, tbh!

Taking it slowly and light-heartedly at first, and not rushing into anything, might be a sensible approach though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

tis only 5 years. I'm only 19 and i was hooking up with a 29 year old. Dont worry bout age

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Robbing the cradle! (OK, someone had to say it) Go for it, ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Luuca

My friend married her husband 9 years younger than her last year. They are as happy as Larry so I wouldn't worry about the age gap.

It is only common sense for a woman to look for such an age gap.
    They have shorter lifespans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

feckin' pedraphiles :D

my current gf is 4 years older than I am (I'm 22 she's 26), I don't see the harm. if you like each other then what's stopping you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

:rolleyes:

Im not touching this one with a 40 foot pole...
    Why? Would you be using the rolleyes symbol if the OP was a 23-year-old guy interested in an 18-year-old girl?

Dudess, i couldnt find a smiley that looks upward at that post. The rolleyes is as close as i can get.

Ok ill touch it with a 40 foot pole so...:pac:

There is no definitive answer to the OPs question. Depends on the people, circumstances etc. Just be ready for occasional (good natured) slaggings at first.

As for whether id so the rolleyes on a guy with a girl that much younger, i think i would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

If you're comfortable with it, then go for it. But it seems you aren't, so what's holding you back? Fear of social censure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

Dudess, i couldnt find a smiley that looks upward at that post. The rolleyes is as close as i can get.

Ok ill touch it with a 40 foot pole so...:pac:

There is no definitive answer to the OPs question. Depends on the people, circumstances etc. Just be ready for occasional (good natured) slaggings at first.

As for whether id so the rolleyes on a guy with a girl that much younger, i think i would.

That much younger??? Its 5 Years!!! Hardly a lifetime...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Cmol wrote: »
    Its 5 Years!!! Hardly a lifetime...

It is for my nephew. :)

Personally I reckon that if you're interested at all, as opposed to just being flattered, go for it. Sure what's the worst that can happen? Actually it may be best you don't read the worst dates thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

I say go for it if you like, you'll regret it otherwise. Was in a similar situation before and didnt go for it bcoz of the age sorry i didnt now! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Jemmy wrote: »
    I say go for it if you like, you'll regret it otherwise. Was in a similar situation before and didnt go for it bcoz of the age sorry i didnt now! :(

My mother was nineteen when she met my father who was thirty four, and within six months of meeting, they married. They just celebrated their 40th wedding aniversary this summer.

They are - very obviously - still in love :).

Take from that whatever you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Kotick

After they're legal, age doesn't matter. Go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I say go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Cmol wrote: »
    That much younger??? Its 5 Years!!! Hardly a lifetime...

Could seem like a lifetime when he's only 18!

But they're both young, might aswell go for it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Seriously age is only a number. What have you got to lose by going for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

cAr0l wrote: »
    Seriously age is only a number. What have you got to lose by going for it?

I agree!! My best relationship to date was with a guy a few years younger than me. Everything about the relationship was fantastic. He was more mature than other men I have dated who were older/ alot older than me. He was the model boyfriend. I could have missed out on what was a fantastic relationship if I had left his age stand in the way!

Age IS only a number, its all about the person themselves at the end of the day.

THe main thing is that the person makes you happy. Its hard to find that person. Don't make it all the harder by imposing silly age restrictions upon yourself.

You can't choose who you fall in love with;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yeah go for it. Expect some people to comment on it though. I have a friend who thinks it's weird that I'm even friends with a 19 year old. (I'm 22) Some people find it weird, but all that matters is how you feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭greenapplesea

I say go for it girl! My boyfriend is younder than me and I couldn't be happier- he's a fantastic boyfriend. Fun yet mature and sensible. There can be some issues with life stages/the future etc. but every other part of our relationship make up for this! I say take things slow at first, have fun and just feel out what he's looking for in a girlfriend before you get too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Just go for it, no point in having regrets

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

Can I just ask a genuine quesion, what is the problem here? If it was a male at 23 and the girl at 18, there wouldn't be a problem... but if it's vice-versa there somehow is...

Anyway, what do you care what other people think? Peer pressure won't make you happy. If you like this guy go for it. Simple.

What is wrong with you people?!

Ill say it again..

IT DEPENDS ON THE PEOPLE INVOLVED

It not "ok" or "not okay". **** lads the only difference it should make is to the 2 people in question

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

Ill say it again..

It not "ok" or "not okay". **** lads the only difference it should make is to the 2 people in question

Your username does you justice! Care to provide an example where a 19 year old dating a 23 year old wouldn't be ok? I honestly can't think of any..

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ill say it again..

We would greatly appreciate it if you toned it down a bit in your future posts on this forum.

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I went out with an 18 year old girl when I was 22 and I found the age difference made it pretty difficult for us to talk to each other.

I agree that when you're a bit older the age difference doesn't matter that much, but at 18 you've still got an awful lot of growing up to do.

I'd go for it anyway though, just be aware that the immaturity might start to grate a little after a while.

Advertisement