Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waxing Horror Stories

Options
  • 18-09-2008 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭

There have been many threads about waxing lately. Anyone have horror stories? I have one!

My eyebrows are naturally nice, thick with a pretty shape, have been since the day I was born. Today I went to get them waxed in preparation for Dublin, and told the woman specifically that I like both the shape and the length, and that I only wanted them cleaned up a bit. I now have eyebrows that are so short and thin on the ends that it looks like I only have half an eyebrow if you're standing more than a couple of feet away from me. I'll have to fill them in. GRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Omgz I'm angry.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

yep same thing happened to me when i first got my eyebrows done, i just wanted a tidy up and the lady waxed nearly them all of me.

took ages for me to get used to them. ah dont worry they might grow back quick enough

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Once I got my eyebrows waxed, she took away half of my left eyebrow - apart from that they were lovely! I didn't notice there either because I had just got my hair done before that, and the way it was falling over my eye hid that half of it was missing!
    Only get my eyebrows plucked now though because apparently waxing them is really bad for skin around the eye.

My best waxing story though didn't happen to me but my best friend. When we were in Thailand she decided to go for a bikini wax (her first ever), and I was getting a pedicure. So when we turned up for our scheduled appointment, she was told she had to wait. Next thing a guy popped his head down the stairs in the corner of the room, and summoned her with his finger. So she went anyway, but was kinda wary. Anyway the whole waxing part of the experience was fine apparently, but the whole time while waxing her he kept telling her how beautiful she was down there. He kept stopping, examining and admiring her! Then he wanted to go downstairs to get me to show me how even more beautiful she was now! She couldn't get out of there fast enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

geminilady wrote: »
    yep same thing happened to me when i first got my eyebrows done, i just wanted a tidy up and the lady waxed nearly them all of me.

took ages for me to get used to them. ah dont worry they might grow back quick enough

That's the worst part, I told her that I liked the shape, and she very deceptively pretended to understand! Now I'm off to Europe looking like a skanger, it's mortifying. I hope they do grow back quickly, but it will likely take weeks. :(
    cAr0l wrote: »
    Once I got my eyebrows waxed, she took away half of my left eyebrow - apart from that they were lovely! I didn't notice there either because I had just got my hair done before that, and the way it was falling over my eye hid that half of it was missing!
    Only get my eyebrows plucked now though because apparently waxing them is really bad for skin around the eye.
    I've heard that! I usually always do my eyebrows myself, tweezing. I wanted to get them waxed to get all the little blonde hairs off, because that looks better when you're wearing makeup. Serves me right, I guess.

My best waxing story though didn't happen to me but my best friend. When we were in Thailand she decided to go for a bikini wax (her first ever), and I was getting a pedicure. So when we turned up for our scheduled appointment, she was told she had to wait. Next thing a guy popped his head down the stairs in the corner of the room, and summoned her with his finger. So she went anyway, but was kinda wary. Anyway the whole waxing part of the experience was fine apparently, but the whole time while waxing her he kept telling her how beautiful she was down there. He kept stopping, examining and admiring her! Then he wanted to go downstairs to get me to show me how even more beautiful she was now! She couldn't get out of there fast enough!
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:EEEWWW!!!!! That can't possibly be a cultural thing, can it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

PillyPen wrote: »
    I usually always do my eyebrows myself, tweezing. I wanted to get them waxed to get all the little blonde hairs off, because that looks better when you're wearing makeup. Serves me right, I guess.
    I get mine done at the beautician - she has these tweezers - sounds like a scissors, and you really don't feel a thing. More beauticians should use them tbh - best invention ever! And I can't remember what they are called right now but have an appointment for tomorrow night so will ask then.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:EEEWWW!!!!! That can't possibly be a cultural thing, can it?
    Well another friend had gotten hers done the week before, and it was a lady who did it, and it was literally wax on wax off, very professional and quick. The guy was just a bit freaky me thinks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I only once got my eyebrows waxed, got them done at the Benefit counter in Brown Thomas, was DELIGHTED. The only reason I don't go regularly is because I'm full of good intentions, then pluck them and have no reason to go. I sometimes think I'm a disaster as a female!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I was burnt during an eyebrow wax before...right between my eyebrows(dunno why she even put wax there tbh)...anyway...big burn, went all scabby and disgusting, and people kept on asking me had I fallen or been in a car accident:eek:

Mortifying!!! Mind you, that was years ago...I think Irish beauticians are more up to speed with things nowadays!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You're very optimistic, my ma was doing a beautician plc course last year and had some stories about butchers in the class! One girl actually already had a job at the weekend, and was apparently often high on coke (Not sure if my ma meant while working or what, she hasn't a clue bout that sort of thing) anyways your wan was a complete monster with all the tools of the trades. Sucks to be a woman tbh.

cAr0l wrote: »
    Well another friend had gotten hers done the week before, and it was a lady who did it, and it was literally wax on wax off, very professional and quick. The guy was just a bit freaky me thinks! :D

He shouldn't have been able to work around women, that's just disgusting!
    Blush_01 wrote: »
    I only once got my eyebrows waxed, got them done at the Benefit counter in Brown Thomas, was DELIGHTED. The only reason I don't go regularly is because I'm full of good intentions, then pluck them and have no reason to go. I sometimes think I'm a disaster as a female!

I think you'd find yourself a big disaster if you did get them waxed! Looking back on it, there have been very few times that I've liked the job professionals have done. Each one has a particular shape they like and they refuse to listen when you ask them to keep your own shape. Grr.
    I was burnt during an eyebrow wax before...right between my eyebrows(dunno why she even put wax there tbh)...anyway...big burn, went all scabby and disgusting, and people kept on asking me had I fallen or been in a car accident:eek:

Mortifying!!! Mind you, that was years ago...I think Irish beauticians are more up to speed with things nowadays!!!

I wasn't ever burnt, but one beautician did rip of the top layer of skin!! Also one time I got my eyebrows threaded and the woman made a semicircle out of each one. Wtf???
    You're very optimistic, my ma was doing a beautician plc course last year and had some stories about butchers in the class! One girl actually already had a job at the weekend, and was apparently often high on coke (Not sure if my ma meant while working or what, she hasn't a clue bout that sort of thing) anyways your wan was a complete monster with all the tools of the trades. Sucks to be a woman tbh.

I've decided I'm never getting them done professionally again, unless someone I trust a lot and whose eyebrows I adore recommends someone. You're right, they are butchers!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Blush_01 wrote: »

I don't touch my eyebrows at all (being happy with em as they are), so i doubt you are doing too badly ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

ah waxing, the work of the devil.

got eyebrows waxed once. Had about 3 hairs left on each side once she'd finished, despite my telling her to just tidy them up. Oh and they were 3 hairs positioned so that I was left with this permanently surprised expression on my face until the blasted things grew back. The right one has never been the same.

Got legs waxed, daft bat never cleaned the wax off my legs properly and I pulled on my trousers only to get home and find that i'd got blue fluff all over my legs. And it doesn't wash off easily. I looked like a smurf.

Got underarms waxed. Sweet jesus. That is all. I'm still haunted by her having to go at me with a tweezers.

Got bikini line waxed by one of Hitler's daughters. Sadistic cow. Tried to do whole area with the one strip. The effing agony of it. I'd gotten it done before holidays but by God there was no way I was exposing my nether regions in a bikini. I'd have blinded some poor child with the horror of it. Red spots, weeping grazes. And she told me to "dab a bit of Germolene" on it. Germolene? I ask you! I nearly force fed her a tube of Germolene through her nostril. But despite being tempted to lay her out with a punch I pulled back up my skirt (minus my knickers, no effing way was I putting anything near my poor enflamed flesh. Thank goodness it was a mild day with no breeze) and limped out of there John Wayne style. Went home and sat with an icepack on my delicate parts. It'll be a cold day in hell before I ever do that to myself again. And some people say take two nurofen? I'll have a half pint of morphine please and thanks very much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭mashling

Last february I let my friend who is a trainee beautician use me as a gineau pig. Twas my first time to get my legs waxed, and she didn't do a patch test. The results would indicate that I must've been allergic to the wax and one of my legs got inflamed then infected despite my use of sudocream. Was really gross and I couldn't wear skirts or shorts all summer. Its just about better now and I've learned my lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Mitzy

Thank you for cheering up my Friday. Funniest post of the year so far!!:D
    maple wrote: »

got eyebrows waxed once. Had about 3 hairs left on each side once she'd finished, despite my telling her to just tidy them up. Oh and they were 3 hairs positioned so that I was left with this permanently surprised expression on my face until the blasted things grew back. The right one has never been the same.

Got legs waxed, daft bat never cleaned the wax off my legs properly and I pulled on my trousers only to get home and find that i'd got blue fluff all over my legs. And it doesn't wash off easily. I looked like a smurf.

Got underarms waxed. Sweet jesus. That is all. I'm still haunted by her having to go at me with a tweezers.

Got bikini line waxed by one of Hitler's daughters. Sadistic cow. Tried to do whole area with the one strip. The effing agony of it. I'd gotten it done before holidays but by God there was no way I was exposing my nether regions in a bikini. I'd have blinded some poor child with the horror of it. Red spots, weeping grazes. And she told me to "dab a bit of Germolene" on it. Germolene? I ask you! I nearly force fed her a tube of Germolene through her nostril. But despite being tempted to lay her out with a punch I pulled back up my skirt (minus my knickers, no effing way was I putting anything near my poor enflamed flesh. Thank goodness it was a mild day with no breeze) and limped out of there John Wayne style. Went home and sat with an icepack on my delicate parts. It'll be a cold day in hell before I ever do that to myself again. And some people say take two nurofen? I'll have a half pint of morphine please and thanks very much!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Got a Brazilian done before that was a disaster, I usually go to a place that uses the hot wax that hardens so I asked on the phone did the second place use this, the receptionist assured me that they did.
    They didn't, so I had a hot strip wax, sweet jesus it fecking hurt! It felt like she was ripping about 3 layers of skin off.
    She kept asking me did it look ok, I kept saying yes as I just wanted to get out of there.
    Anyways she mentioned there was some wax she couldn't get off my skin and it would come off in the shower, "Grand" I think....
    I get home and try to go to the loo, find huge huge patches of hair left with wads of wax matted into them. I literally had to cut the lumps of wax out myself it was awful, and it didn't end there, I found out afterwards whatever way she'd removed the strips she'd damaged some hair roots so i had a new bald patch down there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Second time I had my eyebrows done was a disaster, first time was fine, I was really happy with them.. Anyway, 2nd time went in and told her I wanted just a 'tidy up' came out with literally 1 line of hairs on each side, I looked like Aunt Sally.. Took ages for them to grow back too :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Mitzy wrote: »
    Thank you for cheering up my Friday. Funniest post of the year so far!!:D

+ I

Hilarious!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FionaC

Horror story for beautican - True Story

One of my friends is a bit blonde. She booked a brazillian for an early morning appointment. She woke up the next morning from her boyfriends gaf a lil late so legged it to the salon bear in mind she also had a severe hangover. Everything was fine but kinda felt the beautican was being a bit strange towards her. Got home went to the loo and found a condom from the night before still in her. :eek:

Is that too gross for ladies lounge???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

O.M.G.

This whole thread confirms my decision to never EVER be waxed.....

Oh my god this is hilarious! But it's scaring me that your eyebrow has never been the same!! :( I'm definitely never getting waxed again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

FionaC wrote: »

One of my friends is a bit blonde. She booked a brazillian for an early morning appointment. She woke up the next morning from her boyfriends gaf a lil late so legged it to the salon bear in mind she also had a severe hangover. Everything was fine but kinda felt the beautican was being a bit strange towards her. Got home went to the loo and found a condom from the night before still in her. :eek:

Feck no we need more gross stuff in the Ladies Lounge. Thats embarrassment of the highest order.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That's really cheers me up :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Everything was fine but kinda felt the beautican was being a bit strange towards her. Got home went to the loo and found a condom from the night before still in her. :eek:

hehe reminds me of this email i got a while ago..

This has to be read, laughed at and passed on. There is not a woman alive today who won't crack up over this!

I was due for a smear with the doctor later in the week. Early one morning, I received a call from the doctor's office to tell me that I
    had been rescheduled for that morning at 9:30 am. I had only just packed everyone off to work and school, and it was already around 8:45 am. The trip to his office took about 35 minutes, so I didn't have any time to spare.

As most women do, I like to take a little extra effort over hygiene when making such visits, but this time I wasn't going to be able to make the full effort. So, I rushed upstairs, threw off my pyjamas, wet the facecloth that was sitting next to the sink, and gave myself a quick wash in that area to make sure I was at least presentable. I threw the facecloth in the clothes basket, donned some clothes, hopped in the car and raced to my appointment.

I was in the waiting room for only a few minutes when I was called in. Knowing the procedure, as I'm sure you do, I hopped up on the table, looked over at the other side of the room and pretended that I was in Paris or some other place a million miles away. I was a little surprised when the doctor said, 'My, we have made an extra effort this morning, haven't we?'

I didn't respond.

After the appointment, I heaved a sigh of relief and went home. The rest of the day was normal - some shopping, cleaning, & cooking. After school when my 7 year old daughter was playing, she called out from the bathroom, 'Mummy, where's my facecloth?'

I told her to get another one from the cupboard.
    She replied, 'No, I need the one that was here by the sink, it had all my glitter saved inside it.'

NEVER going back to that doctor ever!!

hehe reminds me of this email i got a while ago..

Ha, nice e-mail! It sounds like a bit of an urban legend, but it was still fun to read! Would be really, really embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

WTF??? Doesn't that sort of negate the whole point of using a condom?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ha, nice e-mail! It sounds like a bit of an urban legend, but it was still fun to read! Would be really, really embarrassing.

That story first surfaced in FHM nearly 15 years ago. It was in the true confessions part of the letters page, I remember reading it then. It may well have been doing the rounds before then for all I know, and I've seen it cropping up a few times over the years, pretty much word for word, so i suspect you're right about it being an urban legend. Still funny though.

Advertisement