Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The largest ethnic cleansing in 60+ years in taking place today in Iraq

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

60 years? Rwanda not come to mind? Cambodia?

Even the Balkans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Not sure exactly what Ireland can do, but this thread seems to be a not-so-subtle dig at people supporting Palestine, so I doubt that even justifies a proper response. Grow the fucck up.

The situation in Gaza has been mentioned alright.

It's NOT an either/or situation - not from my perspective anyway.

The tragedy in both regions stand on their own awful merits.

wes wrote: »
    As for ISIS, the best thing to do is support the Kurdish Peshmerga, so they can defeat ISIS, and then provide Humanitarian assistance via the Kurdish region. This may cause some issues with Turkey, but ultimately eliminating ISIS is in there own best interest as well, as they will attack Turkey and anyone else, when they get the chance. Humanitarian aid needs to be provide to Yazidi people, otherwise there will be a humanitarian disaster.

Great game going on with Turkey at the moment. They looked to be getting close to Europe for a while, but they've also had plenty of money in from the Yanks for the last while. How much money would be enough for them to hold their nose and allow a strengthening of "Kurdistan"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Bosnia too, alot of refugees came to Ireland and lived in special complexes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

As for ISIS, the best thing to do is support the Kurdish Peshmerga, so they can defeat ISIS, and then provide Humanitarian assistance via the Kurdish region. .

Thus far the Kurds are doing OK...

The real calamity has been on the part of the Iraqi state & army.

Despite vastly outnumbering ISIS they have fled time & time again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Red Pepper wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Maybe just maybe there is a happy medium?
    You'd think. However the cultural baggage is deep. Islam isn't just a faith it's also a way of life that instructs the faithful in everything from washing to eating to how to treat your slaves and what is Islamic politics. The latter basically boils down to a caliphate ruled by one from the top down and ruled with an iron fist. The return to the perfect caliphate of the Islamic highpoint of yesteryear is a biggie in many of the more extreme minds. Of course the joke is when Islam was the big deal back in the day they weren't nearly as extreme in religion as these eejits think(and were far less extreme than christians of the time) Western democracy has little history in the region and when one comes in they tend to vote for the strongman and the religious anyway.
    As for ISIS, the best thing to do is support the Kurdish Peshmerga, so they can defeat ISIS, and then provide Humanitarian assistance via the Kurdish region. This may cause some issues with Turkey, but ultimately eliminating ISIS is in there own best interest as well, as they will attack Turkey and anyone else, when they get the chance. Humanitarian aid needs to be provide to Yazidi people, otherwise there will be a humanitarian disaster.
    Seems about the only sensible way to go alright. One would hope it might take, but I don't know.
    Sure but it makes for better headlines.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Even the Balkans.

Well it's a rapidly unfolding situation. Cities and towns are falling as we speak.

There are approx. 700,000 Yazadis and 300,000 Christians in Iraq (that figure down from 1.5 million in the last 15 years btw).

I'd prefer an overreaction now (not much chance of that I guess) than waiting for 1,000,000 to be in absolute mortal peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Great game going on with Turkey at the moment. They looked to be getting close to Europe for a while, but they've also had plenty of money in from the Yanks for the last while. How much money would be enough for them to hold their nose and allow a strengthening of "Kurdistan"?

Turkey would never allow it. They don't even acknowledge there is such a thing as Kurds. As far as they are concerned, they're Turkish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Has there been any mention of this conflict at the UN level?

While the US actions certainly contributed to this mess a lot of the blame must lie with the current democratic president of Iraq who is responsible for inflaming the sectarian aspect of the conflict.

If Iraq is to survive at all it will be with Iranian help I think, which wont sit too well with the Gulf States.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Well it's a rapidly unfolding situation. Cities and towns are falling as we speak.

There are approx. 700,000 Yazadis and 300,000 Christians in Iraq (that figure down from 1.5 million in the last 15 years btw).

I'd prefer an overreaction now (not much chance of that I guess) than waiting for 1,000,000 to be in absolute mortal peril.

Absolutely, the sooner it can be ended the better.

Their PR stuff is absolutely nightmarish. Going around gunning people down.

• Advertisement

Has there been any mention of this conflict at the UN level?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0807/635631-islamic-state/

France wants a meeting of the UN Security Council to discuss.

France seems to be the most vocal advocate for the persecuted in Northern Iraq so far - I guess due to long links in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

How much money would be enough for them to hold their nose and allow a strengthening of "Kurdistan"?

Its a case of rational self interest. If ISIS take over Iraqi Kurdistan, they will be wishing for the return of the PKK.

Surely, the Turkish government will have to accept a Kurdish state in Iraqi Kurdistan sooner or later, and I am sure both can come to a compromise, if the Turkish government can suppress there sometime lunatic nationalism.

Compromise right now is in the best interests of both the Kurds and Turks. It may be a hard sell, but its the only sensible one imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Thus far the Kurds are doing OK...

The real calamity has been on the part of the Iraqi state & army.

Despite vastly outnumbering ISIS they have fled time & time again.

Hence, why I suggest helping the peshmerga, due to them being largely competent, and also there in far better position to help the Yazidi's who are in real danger of genocide at the hands of ISIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Lets organize a boycott of ISIS products..........

Oh wait, ....all they produce is Martyrs......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

REXER wrote: »
    Lets organize a boycott of ISIS products..........

Oh wait, ....all they produce is Martyrs......

And grainy propaganda videos.

I'll take my propaganda in HD from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I'd prefer an overreaction now...

What's stopping you from joining the Kurdish fighters?

Karl Stein wrote: »
    What's stopping you from joining the Kurdish fighters?

Fear and laziness.

And lack of any useful skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

porsche959 wrote: »
    Try criticising Islam in the Israel-Palestine thread, they'll say you're a colonalist fanatic, in Mossad, etc.

Criticising a whole religion because of a few fanatics :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Its a case of rational self interest. If ISIS take over Iraqi Kurdistan, they will be wishing for the return of the PKK.

Surely, the Turkish government will have to accept a Kurdish state in Iraqi Kurdistan sooner or later, and I am sure both can come to a compromise, if the Turkish government can suppress there sometime lunatic nationalism.

Compromise right now is in the best interests of both the Kurds and Turks. It may be a hard sell, but its the only sensible one imho.
    But compromise with the Kurds isn't in Turkey's best interests.

The existence of a Kurdish state in northern Iraq would only strengthen the Kurdish irredentist movements inside eastern Turkey.

On the other hand an ISIS dominated northern Iraq attacking Turkey would unite the Kurds and Turks against a common enemy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/isis-takes-iraqs-largest-christian-town-of-qaraqosh-9653789.html

In an offensive that has seen Isis strengthen their foothold near the Kurdish
    region, residents of Qaraqosh, Iraq's biggest Christian town, are now threatened with the demands the Sunni militants have made in other captured areas - leave, convert to Islam or face death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

bumper234 wrote: »
    Criticising a whole religion because of a few fanatics :rolleyes:

Islam is one of the realist religions out there. One indivisible incomprehensible god makes more sense than the Christian concept of a trinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

What can/should Ireland do about it?

Send aid, take in refugees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Islam is one of the realist religions out there. One indivisible incomprehensible god makes more sense than the Christian concept of a trinity.

No it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Keep Calm and Nuke 'Em All.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0807/635631-islamic-state/

France wants a meeting of the UN Security Council to discuss.

France seems to be the most vocal advocate for the persecuted in Northern Iraq so far - I guess due to long links in the region.

UN security council already issued statements about ISIS though haven't they ? Condemning what they were doing and saying they will be held accountable for war crimes.

Edit: http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2014/Aug-06/266232-un-condemns-isis-attacks-on-iraqs-yazidi-minority.ashx#axzz39iM2ka2Z

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't know, the UN and NATO seem to be all bark and no bite. At any rate, if NATO stepped in the locals might just see it as another invasion by the white west trying to take their culture off them. It's hard to know how they'd take it after so much violence, maybe they're desperate for any help.

Maybe they need to back a local and let him at it, even if he's not the nicest guy in the world at least if the region has stability they might be able to work from there. I don't think forcing democracy down their throats seems to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

porsche959 wrote: »

But the other thread is being hi-jacked by fanatics, professional ranters and internet bullies. Which is why many stay clear of it, understandably.

Agree here.

Wow... and that wasn't a rant or attempted internet bullying....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Xios wrote: »
    ...the region has been unstable since the foundation of Iran, Syria and Iraq...

Iraq & Syria maybe, but Iran (or Persia) has been there for thousands of years. Iranian people do not take kindly to being lumped in with arabs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Why doesn't the shining beacon of democracy and justice in the region get involved? I'm sure the Israeli's would give ISIS a run for their money!

Advertisement