Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The largest ethnic cleansing in 60+ years in taking place today in Iraq

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

What can/should Ireland do about it?

I doubt there is much we can do tbh other than support any UN attempt to hold ISIS accountable for their crimes or potential UN involvement in protecting innocent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

The average Iraqi must be delighted that the US freed them from tyranny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Christians who have been living there for nearly 2,000 years and Yazidis who have been there for perhaps 4,000 years!

Wow that is old. I thought the oldest person in the world was 120 years or so. Shows what I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

lol i wonder how butthurt those islamists would be if the rest of the christian world expelled muslims from their countries??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ISIS, Boko Haram, Islamic Jihad, Hamas, Ansar al-Sharia and a dozen more of these groups out there. Give them an inch....you'd nearly yearn for the good old, bad old days of military dictatorships.

Sure they'd kill loads and repress millions but they kept the religious nutters at bay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

I hope Blair and Bush cant sleep at night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

h2005 wrote: »

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

In simple terms, The U.S. left Iraq in state that made the nation instable, however the region has been unstable since the foundation of Iran, Syria and Iraq. The region was kept stable under brutal tyranny, but now that the dictators time is up, the region is decending into chaos.

Hopefully it'll find a balance, when the Kurds get their own nation and borders get redefined. But until then it'll be a massive massive clusterfook.

On top of this, the large international powers keep meddling in Middle East affairs to force this sort of chaos on the region to increase revenue from oil and weapons. Namely, EU, U.S. and Russia. /conspiracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Ah sure remember The Crusades?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

I am Irish and therefore the only thing I care about is the Palestinians

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Do the militants export any fruit and veg, by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Blair/Bush war was obviously a disaster, but we're in 2014 not 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

porsche959 wrote: »
    Blair/Bush war was obviously a disaster, but we're in 2014 not 2003.
    You're right there's obviously no correlation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

What can be done?
    Any military intervention would be seen as US imperialism and probably claim even more lives.
    Good to see Islam being its peaceful self once again though

You're right there's obviously no correlation.

Is correlation very probably, what precisely this does for those being massacred by ISIS I am not sure.

But hey, this is boards.ie, the Irish are a nation of competitive what abouters, so fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

ISIS, Boko Haram, Islamic Jihad, Hamas, Ansar al-Sharia and a dozen more of these groups out there. Give them an inch....you'd nearly yearn for the good old, bad old days of military dictatorships.

Sure they'd kill loads and repress millions but they kept the religious nutters at bay.

:rolleyes: Maybe just maybe there is a happy medium?

iDave wrote: »
    Good to see Islam being its peaceful self once again though

Try criticising Islam in the Israel-Palestine thread, they'll say you're a colonalist fanatic, in Mossad, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

Red Pepper wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Maybe just maybe there is a happy medium?

There is, but right now it's only possible in your head.

Maybe if Smyth's stop supplying the ISIS action figure line we might see some peace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Try criticising Islam in the Israel-Palestine thread, they'll say you're a colonalist fanatic, in Mossad, etc.

For my sanity I'll avoid that abortion of a thread.

Maybe if Smyth's stop supplying the ISIS action figure line we might see some peace

If Israel stopped "genociding" the Palestinians, peace would miraculously break out all across the Middle East.

Kumbaya!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Medieval backward coonts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

If Israel stopped "genociding" the Palestinians, peace would miraculously break out all across the Middle East.

Kumbaya!

We really need to start redirecting some of that healthy, productive xenophobia in the direction of these here ISIS blokey-chaps. That would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

So you post the folllowing:
    But hey, this is boards.ie, the Irish are a nation of competitive what abouters, so fair enough.

And then do exactly that with your criticism others on the basis of what there saying on another topic......

Kumbaya!

Its profoundly sad that you have chosen to use this thread as a way to have a go at people about stuff that there posting on another thread, as opposed to you know discussing the actual topic. Disgusting thing to do imho. You seem more concerned in having a go at other posters, and supporting another group of violent murders instead. Hypocrisy at its worst imho.

As for ISIS, the best thing to do is support the Kurdish Peshmerga, so they can defeat ISIS, and then provide Humanitarian assistance via the Kurdish region. This may cause some issues with Turkey, but ultimately eliminating ISIS is in there own best interest as well, as they will attack Turkey and anyone else, when they get the chance. Humanitarian aid needs to be provide to Yazidi people, otherwise there will be a humanitarian disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Kumbaya!

Judaism has had a huge affect on our culture up here princess. So, so, so sorry we cant get yous off our minds. Hey, we'll try and be born near a dry area with paper next time?

wes wrote: »
    Its profoundly sad that you have chosen to use this thread as a way to have a go at people about stuff that there posting on another thread, as opposed to you know discussing the actual topic. Disgusting thing to do imho. You seem more concerned in having a go at other posters, and supporting another group of violent murders instead.

This is After Hours, mate. Why the **** are these kinds of threads even allowed on here, including this one. There is a politics section on this board, no?

But the other thread is being hi-jacked by fanatics, professional ranters and internet bullies. Which is why many stay clear of it, understandably.
    wes wrote: »
    do is support the Kurdish Peshmerga, so they can defeat ISIS, and then provide Humanitarian assistance via the Kurdish region. This may cause some issues with Turkey, but ultimately eliminating ISIS is in there own best interest as well, as they will attack Turkey and anyone else, when they get the chance.

Agree here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

60 years? Rwanda not come to mind? Cambodia?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I've seen some of the videos on YouTube and photos of what they are doing to Christians and moderate Muslims, anyone who defies them or stands up to them is beheaded in the most horrific way. They even beheaded a little Christian girl.

Then they display the heads in the town square and crucify the dead bodies. Just the most horrific middle age kind of stuff.

If they have one redeeming feature. Is that they've outlawed smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

What can/should Ireland do about it?

Absolutly frig all, maybe have a protest or two but then again most of those types are busy protesting against Israel at the minute.

What "should" we do is a whole different question, in a simpleidealistic world NATO would rapidly pass a motion to have fully mobilised peacekeepers on the ground within days. In reality the West has done so much damage to that area at this stage I dont see what can really be done that wont just make ths situation worse. In any case we all know all that'll happen is plenty of people/organisations "Calling" for this that and the other and toss all being done bar innocents dying whilst running for their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

This is After Hours, mate. Why the **** are these kinds of threads even allowed on here, including this one. There is a politics section on this board, no?

I didn't think it was suitable for the politics thread. It is a humanitarian disaster.

France has offered all displaced Christians in Iraq asylum - that is not an ideal solution as it effectively acknowledges the end of two millennia of Christian culture in northern Iraq. It also forgets about the Yazadi people, who are also in grave peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Absolute madness what's going on there. Anyone know exactly how big a group ISIS is? They seem to be making quite an impact. The sooner these militant groups stop getting outside funding, the better. It makes me really sad reading about it, because I know all of these Middle Eastern places could have been, and would be wonderful if it wasn't for geopolitical dick-swinging. The poor people living there :(:mad:

Not sure exactly what Ireland can do, but this thread seems to be a not-so-subtle dig at people supporting Palestine, so I doubt that even justifies a proper response. Grow the fucck up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You should try taking the displacement of tens of thousands of people and using it to score cheap points on a discussion forum.

wait, you did that. you win.

Advertisement