Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are People who Live in Ireland All Talk No Action?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Caliden wrote: »
    Or those who moan about tax increases and how 'something should be done' yet go to work every day and do nothing.

I am one of these people. The fact is that in order to protest you need to not go to work which isn't an option. They've got us by the short and curlies

when i was involved with the occupy movement i heard this and many other excuses over and over again, it was as if every single time a protest was organised, morning noon or evening time, weekdays or weekends the whole country was too busy at the time to join in. it was quite amazing how everybodys diary filled up each and every time
    Not2Good wrote: »
    That is true. Few people took to the streets to [peacefully] march in protest when the USC and Income Levy came in. I am as guilty there too myself. Yeah, you have to go to work.

see above
    lazygal wrote: »
    Is a good march the only way to protest in Ireland?

i detest the SWP/PBP style march from point A to point B, meant to be happening for hours yet gets wrapped up after 30 - 45 minutes and then everybody gets home in time for corrie or fair city and that's the end of it. it's like that guy who went on a 24 hour hunger strike outside the dail, i am still getting over that one, i fast for 24 hours most weeks due to lack of funds ffs
    Old people protested in masses at the potential threat to their pensions a few years ago. Saw them as they marched past work.

You need the time to protest. Unions used to take workers out - and still do in the public sector - but otherwise it's students and pensioners.
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Nope.....we've been doing bad marches for years.

true that, no follow through that's the problem
    FTA69 wrote: »
    That's b*llocks to be honest, unless of course you're working every evening until 10pm and every single weekend. I work 50 hours a week odd and over the past few months I've attended a number of demonstrations for Palestine and Colombian trade unionists. They either took place in the form of 6pm vigils outside the embassy or else I headed along after work on Saturday at 2pm. The vast, vast majority of actions in Ireland are done in the evening or weekends.

People in Ireland don't demonstrate, leaflet, organise etc because there is no real tradition of citizen political participation; the concept of a Republic isn't as strong as it is in other countries. In fact, many if not most Irish people look down on any sort of political activity and make excuses to avoid it.

i should have written down all the excuses i got online and offline as to why people couldn't make it to a protest, if i did i'd have enough to fill a nice pocket book to be sold at the counters of easons "1000+ excuses for apathetic Ireland"
    Elessar wrote: »
    In fairness, this is because it changes nothing. Do you really think your demonstration will actually change one iota of policy?

without a follow through plan of action a single demonstration is as useless as the 24 hour hunger striker outside the dail a few years back.

now a message to all those who said they didn't have time to attend any of the demonstrations well then where were ye during the occupy movement, literaly hundreds of days where people were ready and waiting for support yet 99% of the country were too busy 24 hours a day 7 days a week for months on end? even the 400,000+ on the dole ffs. Galway city was the 3rd longest running Occupy in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I like the saying "you clench your fist but in your pocket"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

At least you tried. If everyone emailed or phoned their TD to complain or make a suggestion they would have to do something I believe. A handful of emails can be easily ignored.
    jjbrien wrote: »
    I have emailed TD's over a few issues over the past few years since the banks got bailed out. I find that its not even worth contacting these people no more. They send a letter to the minister and then the minister sends back and reply and nothing happens. The only time a TD will do anything for you is when its time to get a vote, even then they say they will do something and usually never do it.

I used to not complain in restaurants or if something broke. I got fed up getting cold food and products that didn't work or didn't do what they promised. I prob was like most people in this country but since the end of the celtic tiger money for me was not as plentiful as it used to be so I had to start complaining to get what I paid for. I vote with my feet these days give me a poor product or poor service I will go elsewhere and not darken the door of that place again. Its the only real way to show them is when they loose custom. If enough people stopped going there they would notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Who in their right mind goes online on the very first day (New Years Day as it happened) to register for the property tax? Seemingly they were queuing up to register by the thousand. If any one of these individuals complained about property tax they should be battered with balls of their own sxxxe.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Movementarian

when i was involved with the occupy movement i heard this and many other excuses over and over again, it was as if every single time a protest was organised, morning noon or evening time, weekdays or weekends the whole country was too busy at the time to join in. it was quite amazing how everybodys diary filled up

Yeah sorry I was too busy actually working and paying my taxes to help the country out at a time when it badly needed tax revenue.

Do I agree with the current tax system/situation? No I don't but neither do I agree that sitting on my arse doing nothing is a way to solve it. I may not like it but the simple fact is that me and the rest of the middle class workers simply carrying on our day jobs was far more beneficial to the country and indeed everyone in it than if we had all gone out and sat in the streets.

As for being non proactive in terms of the politicians/voting etc, I am simply of the belief that there really are no alternatives in our system. Everyone blamed FF when they were in power and now everyone blames FG. SF bluster but have no real credible alternative policy that I can vote for. And the other parties are simply too small and would need to go into power with one of the aforementioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

I left out of course the the biggest culprits for 'all talk no action', our TD's but there are some trying their best.... I think.....

Advertisement