Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are People who Live in Ireland All Talk No Action?

Options
  • 12-08-2014 8:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

For example do you moan and complain when eating at a restaurant but say everything is fine when asked by the waiter? Give out about the government but not voting or writing to your TD .....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Not2Good wrote: »
    For example do you moan and complain when eating at a restaurant but say everything is fine when asked by the waiter? Give out about the government but not voting or writing to your TD .....

I gave out in a resteraunt on Sunday night. The place was less than 35% full and we waited over an hour for starters, meanwhile the people right beside us got the same starter and were on the main course In this hour.

I said it to the barmaid who got the manager, he gave us all the food and drink for free to say sorry, the food was just sitting on top of the kitchen with no one calling it out.
    I got a free steak sandwich, which was cold, but I didn't complain then.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

It's like the time you get a haircut you're not happy with.

Barber: "How is that there for you now Lombardo86?"

Me (Thinking): I look like Chris De Burgh

Me: "Ah yeah - spot on , thanks a million"

I don't know why we do it but i fully agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Or those who moan about tax increases and how 'something should be done' yet go to work every day and do nothing.

I am one of these people. The fact is that in order to protest you need to not go to work which isn't an option. They've got us by the short and curlies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    It's like the time you get a haircut you're not happy with.

Barber: "How is that there for you now Lombardo86?"

Me (Thinking): I look like Chris De Burgh

Me: "Ah yeah - spot on , thanks a million"

I don't know why we do it but i fully agree with you

Yeah, the haircut one is a classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

Caliden wrote: »
    Or those who moan about tax increases and how 'something should be done' yet go to work every day and do nothing.

I am one of these people. The fact is that in order to protest you need to not go to work which isn't an option. They've got us by the short and curlies

That is true. Few people took to the streets to [peacefully] march in protest when the USC and Income Levy came in. I am as guilty there too myself. Yeah, you have to go to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Is a good march the only way to protest in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Basically, and yes a broad generalisation, but Irish people tend to be very passive aggressive.

They seethe and then complain to others about someone/something rather than taking action directly.

Boards itself is all the evidence you'll ever need.

from minor things like how people act near them on buses or in work or whatever to major relationship issues you'll find them venting rather than ever saying anything to the person involved.

the amount of stories about housemates leaving notes for each other is staggering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Old people protested in masses at the potential threat to their pensions a few years ago. Saw them as they marched past work.

You need the time to protest. Unions used to take workers out - and still do in the public sector - but otherwise it's students and pensioners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

lazygal wrote: »

Perhaps we could say another mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I complain if something is wrong, services in a restaurant or hotel but I don't moan and I am specified and to the point about what was wrong. I also thank people for good services it costs noting to email someone and say job well done.

Cant stand the type who give out about politicians but don't do anything about it them selves, the type that are full of throw away remarks like ..they are all in it for the money..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

lazygal wrote: »

Nope.....we've been doing bad marches for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

I agree OP, the 'fighting Irish' is a bit of a myth, except for the handful up North that reacted against the heavy-handed tactics of the British army, RUC and UDR during the Troubles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Old people protested in masses at the potential threat to their pensions a few years ago. Saw them as they marched past work.

You need the time to protest. Unions used to take workers out - and still do in the public sector - but otherwise it's students and pensioners.

Most people who protest are only interested in their own narrow self-interest. Pensioners who protested about the medical cards and people who protest about USC are basically saying 'tax somebody else instead'. They generally have no alternative suggestions on how the budget deficit is to be bridged through either alterntive cuts in services or tax increases.

Every snakeoil politician who campaigns on the basis of abolishing a tax or cut in service should be quizzed on what their alternative proposals are - mumbling about burning bondholders doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

Had a series of this kinda folding recently. Tired, I needed a quick fix after work so ended up in Burger King, ordered a Large Big Mac Meal with just lettuce and onion. I was told by the cashier that it would be €11.50, which I knew to be way too high (should have been around €7ish. When I pointed that out, she told me the special offer didn't cover the large meal (referring to some discount that day for the regular Big Mac meal, which I hadn't even noticed). I say I know the Large is more expensive but not THAT much more (I think the cashier entered the large three-piece meal then seperately added a large fries and coke). When the manager hops in and I explain what I wanted, I got the same answer from her. Both of them seemed to think I was trying to get the large meal for the price of the regular, rather than telling them they had double entered and were trying to charge me almost 12 euro. Conscious of the line behind me, I said I'll just for the regular, reiterating that I only wnated lettuce and onion on it. The manager processed this transaction and walks off pleased with herself for what she considered handling the issue. When I got my stuff and went back to the table, I looked in the burger to be greeted with gherkins and tomatoes. God's sake, but I almost folded there too because I could just pick off the gherkins and didn't mind the tomatoes, even though I know that's not what I asked for. Then I find the sauce and cheese under the meat, which I didn't want either, so said eff this, closed it back up and brought the tray to the counter and told them where the mistake lay. Got my L+O Big Mac finally and enjoyed it with regular lukewarm fries. While I was just jaded after work and in no mood to start a fuss, I did think to myself why I was too nice to kick up more of a stink with them about multiple errors in simply ordering a burger and chips that I either accepted or was willing to quietly compromise on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The OP mentions making complaints in restaurants and lobbying TDs.

But this, being AH, it only took 12 posts for someone to drag this shít into it.
    I agree OP, the 'fighting Irish' is a bit of a myth, except for the handful up North that reacted against the heavy-handed tactics of the British army, RUC and UDR during the Troubles.

Stay classy with the bitterness.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

I complain about everything I have a problem with. It's served me well so far in life with a lot of people around me actually respecting how up front I am.

I think the last thing I found cause to complain about was the state of one particular road on my way in to work. Wrote off the the county council about it and got a reply saying it was a private road and they are discussing with the owner to maintain it, a week later it got resurfaced... I'd like to think that me complaining had some impact on that decision.

Main thing I try to keep in my mind when complaining about something is to be polite about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

Lapin wrote: »
    The OP mentions making complaints in restaurants and lobbying TDs.

But this, being AH, it only took 12 posts for someone to drag this shít into it.

Stay classy with the bitterness.

Im not bitter, sorry you saw it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Caliden wrote: »
    The fact is that in order to protest you need to not go to work which isn't an option. They've got us by the short and curlies

That's b*llocks to be honest, unless of course you're working every evening until 10pm and every single weekend. I work 50 hours a week odd and over the past few months I've attended a number of demonstrations for Palestine and Colombian trade unionists. They either took place in the form of 6pm vigils outside the embassy or else I headed along after work on Saturday at 2pm. The vast, vast majority of actions in Ireland are done in the evening or weekends.

People in Ireland don't demonstrate, leaflet, organise etc because there is no real tradition of citizen political participation; the concept of a Republic isn't as strong as it is in other countries. In fact, many if not most Irish people look down on any sort of political activity and make excuses to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

FTA69 wrote: »
    That's b*llocks to be honest, unless of course you're working every evening until 10pm and every single weekend. I work 50 hours a week odd and over the past few months I've attended a number of demonstrations for Palestine and Colombian trade unionists. They either took place in the form of 6pm vigils outside the embassy or else I headed along after work on Saturday at 2pm. The vast, vast majority of actions in Ireland are done in the evening or weekends.

People in Ireland don't demonstrate, leaflet, organise etc because there is no real tradition of citizen political participation; the concept of a Republic isn't as strong as it is in other countries. In fact, many if not most Irish people look down on any sort of political activity and make excuses to avoid it.

In fairness, this is because it changes nothing. Do you really think your demonstration will actually change one iota of policy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

Elessar wrote: »
    In fairness, this is because it changes nothing. Do you really think your demonstration will actually change one iota of policy?

They do though. Open a history book.

You're just making excuses for your laziness and inaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Jikashi wrote: »
    needed a quick fix after work so ended up in Burger King, ordered a Large Big Mac Meal

Here's your problem, right here.

They should've lodged a complaint about you. You were in the wrong shop.

McDonalds was the place you were looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭paulbok

Jikashi wrote: »
    Had a series of this kinda folding recently. Tired, I needed a quick fix after work so ended up in Burger King, ordered a Large Big Mac Meal with just lettuce and onion. I was told by the cashier that it would be €11.50, which I knew to be way too high (should have been around €7ish. When I pointed that out, she told me the special offer didn't cover the large meal (referring to some discount that day for the regular Big Mac meal, which I hadn't even noticed). I say I know the Large is more expensive but not THAT much more (I think the cashier entered the large three-piece meal then seperately added a large fries and coke). When the manager hops in and I explain what I wanted, I got the same answer from her. Both of them seemed to think I was trying to get the large meal for the price of the regular, rather than telling them they had double entered and were trying to charge me almost 12 euro. Conscious of the line behind me, I said I'll just for the regular, reiterating that I only wnated lettuce and onion on it. The manager processed this transaction and walks off pleased with herself for what she considered handling the issue. When I got my stuff and went back to the table, I looked in the burger to be greeted with gherkins and tomatoes. God's sake, but I almost folded there too because I could just pick off the gherkins and didn't mind the tomatoes, even though I know that's not what I asked for. Then I find the sauce and cheese under the meat, which I didn't want either, so said eff this, closed it back up and brought the tray to the counter and told them where the mistake lay. Got my L+O Big Mac finally and enjoyed it with regular lukewarm fries. While I was just jaded after work and in no mood to start a fuss, I did think to myself why I was too nice to kick up more of a stink with them about multiple errors in simply ordering a burger and chips that I either accepted or was willing to quietly compromise on.
    I complain about everything I have a problem with. It's served me well so far in life with a lot of people around me actually respecting how up front I am.

I think the last thing I found cause to complain about was the state of one particular road on my way in to work. Wrote off the the county council about it and got a reply saying it was a private road and they are discussing with the owner to maintain it, a week later it got resurfaced... I'd like to think that me complaining had some impact on that decision.

Main thing I try to keep in my mind when complaining about something is to be polite about it.

I almost always complain about bad service or incorrect orders. E.G. I can't stand onions in my food, so always make a point of asking a waiter if there are onions in a dish I don't recognise and can I have it with out them, or ask for a burger without the onions. Shocking the amount of times I still get the onions. Yet when I politely complain about it, most people with me call me a moany fu**er and to just have it as it is.

People don't complain (as in point out the error rather than freak out about it) enough in this country, which may be why there are apathetic about more important protests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

In fairness it's the same right across the globe...

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning." - Henry Ford.

But people are happy. Ignorance is bliss.

Once you enter the matrix, you spend the rest of your life fighting demons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

Getting off the Luas this morning, some clown walking on with his eyes down on his phone walks straight into me, and we both say sorry as we move on.

Wait, why am I saying sorry? you're meant to yield to people disembarking and it would be nice to also point you attention to where you are travelling. At least he apologised and not saying I should've kicked off at him, but it seems we're programmed to automatically excuse ourselves when we're in the right in situations such as these.

Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Were the mass demonstrations during the Civil Rights period in the USA an irrelevance? Or were they an important element in mobilising ordinary people into a process they'd normally be detached from? When a million people marched in London against the Iraq War, it didn't change government policy, but it certainly bolstered and strengthened the narrative of the anti-War movement that could rightly point to a mass opposition. That argument would have been substantially weakened if there was no visible citizen opposition to it.

When people marched against apartheid South Africa worldwide it ruined that country's policy of trying to portray itself as a "normal" state like any other; today mass citizen participation in a similar vein is ruining the Israeli narrative of being an ordinary western-style democracy.

The "demonstrating changes nothing" attitude is to ignore historical examples all over the world; they are an important tool in creating historical change along with a variety of other means. The fact remains that many Irish citizens do not engage in the political discourse bar ticking a box next to an arsehole's face every five years and then leaving them off completely. The frustrating thing is they'll then whinge about this same political class being unaccountable and feeling powerless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

They do though. Open a history book.

You're just making excuses for your laziness and inaction.

Link me to where Israeli foreign policy or the Columbian government changed because of an Irish protest. Not being smart, I am honestly curious. Because I don't think you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

If there's a genuine reason, I'll complain. But I'm no moaner, and from experience, I know how hard it is dealing with the general public.

My wife on the other hand (not Irish) has very high standards and will let it be known if things are inefficient/incompetent...I sometimes cringe a bit and ask her to go easy!

Link me to where Israeli foreign policy or the Columbian government changed because of an Irish protest. Not being smart, I am honestly curious. Because I don't think you can.

Israel is currently feeling a massive amount of international pressure due to their current antic in Gaza, hence why their propaganda system is in overdrive across the world. You can be sure they'd be getting up to a lot worse if the eyes of the world weren't on them the way they are. Similarly, there are numerous examples of internal government policy being changed due to large scale demonstrations; France is one example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I have emailed TD's over a few issues over the past few years since the banks got bailed out. I find that its not even worth contacting these people no more. They send a letter to the minister and then the minister sends back and reply and nothing happens. The only time a TD will do anything for you is when its time to get a vote, even then they say they will do something and usually never do it.

I used to not complain in restaurants or if something broke. I got fed up getting cold food and products that didn't work or didn't do what they promised. I prob was like most people in this country but since the end of the celtic tiger money for me was not as plentiful as it used to be so I had to start complaining to get what I paid for. I vote with my feet these days give me a poor product or poor service I will go elsewhere and not darken the door of that place again. Its the only real way to show them is when they loose custom. If enough people stopped going there they would notice.

Advertisement