Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 silly1

MOH wrote: »
    Any airline I've ever booked with has quoted the fare in the currency of the country the flight is originating from.

Not so - I was in Manchester less than a month ago. Flew Dublin - Manchester with Ryanair and returned with Aer Lingus. I was charged in Euro by Aer Lingus as I would have expected.

The point is that I am an Irish consumer purchasing a service from an Irish company (Ryanair in this instance) so I would expect to be quoted and pay in the currency of the country that the transaction is taking place in. Where I am flying to/from should be irrelevant.
    :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

silly1 wrote: »
    Not so - I was in Manchester less than a month ago. Flew Dublin - Manchester with Ryanair and returned with Aer Lingus. I was charged in Euro by Aer Lingus as I would have expected.

The point is that I am an Irish consumer purchasing a service from an Irish company (Ryanair in this instance) so I would expect to be quoted and pay in the currency of the country that the transaction is taking place in. Where I am flying to/from should be irrelevant.

I don't think you're right there, silly. Normally the currency you pay in is that of the originating country. So, a one-way ticket from Manchester to Dublin is charged in GBP. I've just tried it, on the Aer Lingus website, to confirm. Try it yourself. Don't know how you managed to be charged in Euro. Might want to double-check there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭lynchie

silly1 wrote: »

AL will quote you in GBP but will allow you to be charged in EUR using their rate. Thats how you managed to do it. It would have been cheaper to stick with GBP as your CC rate is better than the quoted AL conversion rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

Great quote from Peter Preston (formerly Guardian editor) on U.tv.com

Ryanair isn't always as cheap as it claims, but the nastiness makes it feel cheap (and not at all cheerful).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

I booked a holiday say from the 2nd - 7th

Then I phoned, and ammended the dates to the 1st -6th.

Ive been charged for all flights and after checking my credit card I phoned Ryanair, couldnt get through for a long time, I was told that I could not get a refund.

Im so confused - surely this isnt right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I recently bought one of these from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-8120-Digital-Luggage-Scale/dp/B001FWXFP4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1242487138&sr=8-2

It was dead handy for sorting out our bags in the hotel. I wasn't travelling with a 15Kg limit though so it'll be tougher for you.

For me the tips that saved a lot of kilos were.

1: Put the heaviest smaller items into your carry on luggage. I don't know about Ryanair but the airline I used didn't weigh the carry on. Mine and my missus carry ons weighed a tonne.

2: Don't pack shoes. Wear them. I.e. if you're leaving a hot country and you're wearing sandals swap them for the heaviest shoes in your bag. They can easily eat up a couple of kilos.

Flew Ryanair Dublin to Zadar two weeks ago and did this, put spare shoes and heavy stuff in the carry on bags which allowed us to keep the check-in bag just on the limit. Then they asked to weigh the carry on too, which luckily was still under the limit, so watch out for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I booked a holiday say from the 2nd - 7th

Then I phoned, and ammended the dates to the 1st -6th.

Ive been charged for all flights and after checking my credit card I phoned Ryanair, couldnt get through for a long time, I was told that I could not get a refund.

Im so confused - surely this isnt right?
    Sounds right, you booked something then wanted to change the flights so had to pay the change fee plus the difference.

All above board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

But why if I rang a hotel and changed my arrival and departure dates I wouldnt be charged twice? I phoned them to change my departure and arrival dates, to move my booking to another date.. I dont believe this.

Surely this isnt fair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Sounds right, you booked something then wanted to change the flights so had to pay the change fee plus the difference.

All above board.

Yes correct, also to let everyone know if they change/cancel a flight you can call and ammend the changed/canceled flight as needed for free even if newer flight is more expensive.

They cancel a flight I had booked for a Tuesday (paid €1) on the e-mail notification they offer me the next flight on Thursday but I called the reservation center and changed that flight for the Sunday that was selling at the time for €79.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

Investigators believe a newly bereaved Ryanair captain's psychological state, combined with his co-pilot's inexperience, led to an unplanned and highly unstable approach to Rome during poor weather conditions.

Italy's ANSV investigation agency says the captain's three-month-old son had died just a few days before the Niederrhein-Rome Ciampino flight, but he had not informed anyone of the situation, partly out of concern for his job.

The ANSV, which has just released details of the September 2005 incident, adds that the co-pilot of the Boeing 737-800 - who had just 300h on type from 475h total - had not previously flown in adverse weather conditions.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/06/10/327687/ryanair-captain-flew-unstable-approach-days-after-sons.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Hi

Last friday my 8.30am flight to Shannon from Stansted was bumped due to operational issues, the plane was needed for a return flight to France.

This led to a 6.75 hour delay, Ryanair did provide a £3.50 voucher which could only be used in one outlet at the airport, however they did not announce that vouchers were available, you had to ask for them.

I was told I could buy more and send the receipt to their HQ and claim for the excess. Has anyone done this and been sucessful?

Assist passengers facing long delays.
    When airlines reasonably expect a long delay, they will be obliged to give
    passengers:
    - meals and refreshments, and
    - hotel accommodation, when a delay obliges a passenger to stay overnight, and
    - reimbursement, when a delay delays a passenger for at least five hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

But why if I rang a hotel and changed my arrival and departure dates I wouldnt be charged twice? I phoned them to change my departure and arrival dates, to move my booking to another date.. I dont believe this.

Surely this isnt fair?
    Flight dates, times and routes are changeable subject to availability, upon payment of the current change fee - Click here for details. Plus in each case any difference in cost between the original total price paid and the lowest total price available at the time the change is made (if applicable).

If the total price is lower on the new flight, no refund will be made.

That is included in the T&Cs that you are obliged to acknowledge before completing your purchase of flights.

funnyname wrote: »
    Hi

Last friday my 8.30am flight to Shannon from Stansted was bumped due to operational issues, the plane was needed for a return flight to France.

This led to a 6.75 hour delay, Ryanair did provide a £3.50 voucher which could only be used in one outlet at the airport, however they did not announce that vouchers were available, you had to ask for them.

I was told I could buy more and send the receipt to their HQ and claim for the excess. Has anyone done this and been sucessful?

From the EU compensation rules, it looks like for a flight of <1500km, and a delay > 2 hours you're entitled to "meals and refreshment in reasonable relation to waiting time" and two free calls/telex/faxes/e-mails. (And as the delay was over five hours, you could also have opted for a refund instead.)

3.50 seems a bit stingy for a 6+ hour delay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

(Note: I’m waiting to board a delayed flight with one of Europe’s cheapest and largest airlines.)

Hostess: “Welcome to flight *** from Malmoe to Dublin. Those of you with seating numbers 1 through 35, please go to line one. Those of you with seating numbers 36 and up, please go to line two. If any of you are traveling with small children or checked in online, please go to the counter and you will be let on board before we start boarding the other passengers.”

(A group of businessmen, about 35-55 years old and in suits, walk to the counter and cut in front of a family with very young children.)

Hostess: “Well, I can see you didn’t check in online, so you’ll have to stand in line. The first line is for early seating numbers; the second line is for la–”

Businessman #1: “Oh, come on… can’t you make an exception? We’re already standing here and all.”

Businessman #2: “You only have to board us and we’re done!”

Hostess: “No, you’ll have to wait in turn, just like everyone else. The lines start over there.”

Businessman #2: “But I always get to board the plane first!”

Hostess: “You’re not a family with children and you didn’t check in over the internet, so you’ll have to stand in line.”

Businessman #2: *very angrily* “DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!”

Hostess: “No, but you can’t be that important if you’re traveling with us.”

Businessman #2: *quietly retreats to the back of the line with his buddies*

Excerpt from notalwaysright.com

Sh1tty customer service maybe, a great gate assitant definitley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

MOH wrote: »
    From the EU compensation rules, it looks like for a flight of <1500km, and a delay > 2 hours you're entitled to "meals and refreshment in reasonable relation to waiting time" and two free calls/telex/faxes/e-mails. (And as the delay was over five hours, you could also have opted for a refund instead.)

3.50 seems a bit stingy for a 6+ hour delay.

Yes there is a law! If your delayed so and so you get A
    Delayed longer get B ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Bluebell55

Funnyname, I had a similiar problem with ryanair.
    My flight from barcelona to Shannon at the end of may was delayed, then cancelled. The inital delay was due to fog, which had lifted by the time our flight was supposed to depart. I finally got home 41 hours later via a connecting flight from gatwick. Therefore, this required an overnight stay. We were informed by the officials at girona airport that one could collect all receipts, and send them to ryanair for compensation to be awarded. My group and I were very fair, just claimed for the hotel stay (in a 2 star hotel) and a meal, which was less than 15 euro.

I recently recieved an email back from ryanair stating that according to their "EU261 Article 14.2 notice, when a flight disruption is outside of our control, we regret that no monetary compensation is due under Article 7 of EU261/2004."

So I have been left significantly out of pocket, and its nobodies fault.

You may succeed with your claim. However, beware!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I recently booked with Ryanair for a trip to visit the brother. I automatically went for "cabin baggage only" - but now I realise that I'm staying over a week, and could do with a suitcase.

But I can't see any way to change this before I check in online.

Is there a way? (I know I'll pay extra, but don't mind if it's not too dear.)

It's not a major problem - I can always send myself a parcel of clothes, or buy a cheap outfit when I'm there - but it would be handy to add a suitcase to my allowance if I can do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

luckat wrote: »
    I recently booked with Ryanair for a trip to visit the brother. I automatically went for "cabin baggage only" - but now I realise that I'm staying over a week, and could do with a suitcase.

But I can't see any way to change this before I check in online.

Is there a way? (I know I'll pay extra, but don't mind if it's not too dear.)

It's not a major problem - I can always send myself a parcel of clothes, or buy a cheap outfit when I'm there - but it would be handy to add a suitcase to my allowance if I can do it.
    Go to manage my booking:
    https://www.bookryanair.com/SkySales/FRManageBooking.aspx?culture=EN-GB&lc=EN-GB
    and pick add bags.

Why do they offer fights for 0.00????:eek:

• Advertisement

axer wrote: »

Oh, thanks, that's great.

More weirdness. I added a bag, then went to check in online as normal for a return flight. But this time it printed off only the outgoing boarding pass, not the one for the returning flight.

I'm wondering if this might be because the return is more than a fortnight away - anyone know?

There's no point in trying to contact the airline - there's no email help, and last time I tried to contact them (telling them I wouldn't be boarding a flight I'd checked in for, which I thought was only courteous to do), the supposedly €1 a minute line ate several euro worth of Skype time in about 30 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I'm wondering if this might be because the return is more than a fortnight away - anyone know?

Yes it is

More weirdness. I added a bag, then went to check in online as normal for a return flight. But this time it printed off only the outgoing boarding pass, not the one for the returning flight.

There's no point in trying to contact the airline - there's no email help, and last time I tried to contact them (telling them I wouldn't be boarding a flight I'd checked in for, which I thought was only courteous to do), the supposedly €1 a minute line ate several euro worth of Skype time in about 30 seconds.

Yes thats the reason
    You can check in from 15 days before the flight & check in closes 4hrs before the flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

Hi

I booked a flight from Shannon to London in September for 6 people

flight €2x6
    free online check in
    no tax or charges etc
    check in bags €20x6
    used visa electron was card charges were free

total for 6 was €132

It was great value and i travel with Ryanair a few times and never had a problem:D

carly_86 wrote: »
    Hi

I booked a flight from Shannon to London in September for 6 people

flight €2x6
    free online check in
    no tax or charges etc
    check in bags €20x6
    used visa electron was card charges were free

total for 6 was €132

It was great value and i travel with Ryanair a few times and never had a problem:D

Wow! Wonder how come there was no tax:eek:
    I thought you could not get away from Government tax!!
    How did you do it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

padocon wrote: »
    Wow! Wonder how come there was no tax:eek:
    I thought you could not get away from Government tax!!
    How did you do it?

It was a special offer there were doing so u can get really go offers on ryanair

Got a 1 way fight to Italy for free! Bloody taxes brought it up to about 150 for the 3 of us!:(
    Still a good deal to airlingus 700euro+ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

I have flights booked Cork-London going this weekend, returning in a fortnight. It was originally hand luggage only, now I need to add a bag. Thats fine, no problem paying for a change in plans but the odd thing is how it was charged. To add a bag to Cork-London leg cost 10 euro, plus a 5 euro credit card handling fee. To add the same bag to the London-Cork leg (worth noting this was a different booking, not a return flight but booked around the same time) cost 10 pounds, but not credit card handling fee?

Don't Ryanair bank with one person, isn't a charge a charge....just wondering can someone explain this logically without going on a rant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged - dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I have flights booked Cork-London going this weekend, returning in a fortnight. It was originally hand luggage only, now I need to add a bag. Thats fine, no problem paying for a change in plans but the odd thing is how it was charged. To add a bag to Cork-London leg cost 10 euro, plus a 5 euro credit card handling fee. To add the same bag to the London-Cork leg (worth noting this was a different booking, not a return flight but booked around the same time) cost 10 pounds, but not credit card handling fee?

Don't Ryanair bank with one person, isn't a charge a charge....just wondering can someone explain this logically without going on a rant :D

Luckily, soon you wont get charged. Bit of extra excercise for the saving though

http://www.independent.ie/travel/travel-advice/ryanair-wants-passengers-to--put-their-own-bags-on-plane-1786778.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

padocon wrote: »
    Got a 1 way fight to Italy for free! Bloody taxes brought it up to about 150 for the 3 of us!:(
    Still a good deal to airlingus 700euro+ :)

Even if price is 0.00, its not free
    for free flights, look for "Free online check-in" and a price of 0.00, if you can find them

I got 4 flights to Manchester next month for 8 euro total !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Booked a flight recently to Stansted for my cousin and myself.

Bill is as follows
    PAYMENT DETAILS
    ********48.00 EUR Total Fare
    *********0.00 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges
    ********20.00 EUR Passenger Fee: Web Check in
    ********68.00 EUR Total Paid

Only thing is on Ryanair website it states Free Online Check In. Presume that €20 is €5 x 4 Web Check In charge. Still good value but def not as described

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Booked a flight recently to Stansted for my cousin and myself.

Bill is as follows
    PAYMENT DETAILS
    ********48.00 EUR Total Fare
    *********0.00 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges
    ********20.00 EUR Passenger Fee: Web Check in
    ********68.00 EUR Total Paid

Only thing is on Ryanair website it states Free Online Check In. Presume that €20 is €5 x 4 Web Check In charge. Still good value but def not as described

Is it a return flight?
    Give them a call & explain to them what has happened.
    Big saving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭papillon66

how many oversize item can I carry with ryanair?

Hi there,

As the title said, how many oversize item can we carry with ryanair?

I tried to find the answer online but ryanair terms and conditions are not really clear about it

Flying tomorrow back home...and I have amusic keybord(around 10kgs), a guitar and a big plate(+- 80cm but not heavy)-I checked them online while booking my flight with 2 others "normal" luggage-

I did understand that the 2 baggages should not be over 15kgs combined if I don't want to pay the weight fees-

But was wondering if this would apply too with the oversize items or if there is a max per personne...

Flying tomorrow afternoon...jsut starting to wonder as a friend of mine told me that I might pay a fee even though I booked the oversizes item online..Still in time to leave part of it here and come back to pick it later when I'll come to visit

Thanks in advance for your time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

papillon66 wrote: »
    how many oversize item can I carry with ryanair?

Hi there,

As the title said, how many oversize item can we carry with ryanair?

I tried to find the answer online but ryanair terms and conditions are not really clear about it

Flying tomorrow back home...and I have amusic keybord(around 10kgs), a guitar and a big plate(+- 80cm but not heavy)-I checked them online while booking my flight with 2 others "normal" luggage-

I did understand that the 2 baggages should not be over 15kgs combined if I don't want to pay the weight fees-

But was wondering if this would apply too with the oversize items or if there is a max per personne...

Flying tomorrow afternoon...jsut starting to wonder as a friend of mine told me that I might pay a fee even though I booked the oversizes item online..Still in time to leave part of it here and come back to pick it later when I'll come to visit

Thanks in advance for your time

Hi

Not sure about it with Ryanair with oversize items, but as you know they try to get every cent out of people, last time I was at the airport they had someone going around the queues checking the sizes of the suitcases and also to make sure that no more than 1 was carried. Most of the flights departing at that time were for Eastern countries so I think they might target them more as lots of people are returning home.

You should also consider a courier company, I used Freight Quote a couple of times. You can get a quote online.They are broker in my case they were picked up from the house by DPD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

if you've booked oversized gear you should be ok. I pay seperatley for my snowboard, and the bag generally weighs around 38kg with no extra charged at desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 impi

I purchased flights on Ryanair on July 3rd for €112.
    At the time €112 = £95.95 (on XE)
    Setup an ENTROPAY account and loaded £100.
    Selected Visa Electron on Ryanair & paid.
    All good. Entropay showed a balance of +/-£4.
    Saved myself €34.27 (cc fee for 4 people - Entropay commision).

The money was only actually taken out the Entropay account yesterday (July 8th).
    But Entropay "statement" shows:
    date|type|amount|fee|description|balance
    01 Jul 2009||||Opening Balance|0.00
    03 Jul 2009|Load|100.00|4.95|From 'VISA Card' Funding Source|100.00
    08 Jul 2009|Purchase|100.00|0.00|RYANAIR INT|0.00
    09 Jul 2009||||Closing Balance|0.00

The change in exchange rates from the 3rd to the 8th should only be an extra £0.85 or so.
    Just wondering if my flights are "safe"?
    Am I missing something here?

impi wrote: »
    I purchased flights on Ryanair on July 3rd for €112.
    At the time €112 = £95.95 (on XE)
    Setup an ENTROPAY account and loaded £100.
    Selected Visa Electron on Ryanair & paid.
    All good. Entropay showed a balance of +/-£4.
    Saved myself €34.27 (cc fee for 4 people - Entropay commision).

The money was only actually taken out the Entropay account yesterday (July 8th).
    But Entropay "statement" shows:
    date|type|amount|fee|description|balance
    01 Jul 2009||||Opening Balance|0.00
    03 Jul 2009|Load|100.00|4.95|From 'VISA Card' Funding Source|100.00
    08 Jul 2009|Purchase|100.00|0.00|RYANAIR INT|0.00
    09 Jul 2009||||Closing Balance|0.00

The change in exchange rates from the 3rd to the 8th should only be an extra £0.85 or so.
    Just wondering if my flights are "safe"?
    Am I missing something here?

You won't ever get the XE.com rates. Bit odd it was exactly the 100 though

Also, from here:
    I have noticed the exchange rate applied to convert the euro flight charge into GBP to debit against the card is far from competitive. Is ryanair doing to this to make it less attractive? You still save money, but not as much in cases when the flight is around the €80 mark, compared to €16...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I bought 2 flights seperately for 2 people. Now I can't go in late august to Italy. It cost me 250. If I can't go do I lose all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

I'm flying from cork to dublin next week.
    I need to check in a bag (which I selected at time of booking). Email confirmations all say I have to check in online but I have to check in the bag so surely I can check in then???

Does anyone know what the story is with that?
    Thanks.

Also, is there anyway to cancel a booking completely?
    I booked for a buddy who may not be able to make it.

• Advertisement

I'm flying from cork to dublin next week.
    I need to check in a bag (which I selected at time of booking). Email confirmations all say I have to check in online but I have to check in the bag so surely I can check in then???

Does anyone know what the story is with that?
    Thanks.
    Check in online, drop off your bags at the airport.
    Also, is there anyway to cancel a booking completely?
    I booked for a buddy who may not be able to make it.
    Just don't turn up. Ryanair don't do refunds.

benifa wrote: »
    Check in online, drop off your bags at the airport.

Is that compulsory? or can I check in at the airport?

Is that compulsory? or can I check in at the airport?

You could if you wanted to pay €40 to do so. Why would you want to?

I don't.
    Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

benifa wrote: »
    Ryanair don't do refunds.
    but if they did...

axer wrote: »
    but if they did...

..they'd probably be the smallest refunds in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 impi

Can anyone log into Entropay?
    Haven't been able to get onto their webpage for 2 days now
    Just me?

impi wrote: »
    Can anyone log into Entropay?
    Haven't been able to get onto their webpage for 2 days now
    Just me?

It seems to be running slowly, but I can log in all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 mixervilla

Do you need to have your funds on the entropay card in GBP to get out of the charges on Ryanair? Ive tried to pay for a flight in EUR by clicking Visa Electron although my card says Visa debit? What am i doing wrong? Cheers!

• Advertisement

mixervilla wrote: »
    Do you need to have your funds on the entropay card in GBP to get out of the charges on Ryanair?

Yes. The trick doesn't work if you've a EUR entropay card, only GBP.

Advertisement